Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-24-2020, 09:50 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2018 19' Flying Cloud
Newport , Washington
Coax question - Ham Radio

Wanting to start bringing my HF rig along when we go camping. Scratching my head and wondering how best to get the antenna feed line into our trailer. Would love to hear what creative ideas others have come up with.

2018 Flying Cloud 19
2003 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab Diesel
KelloggKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 10:06 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California

The control unit for my Yaesu FT-857 is on the desk in the rear of my Airstream. Main unit in forward wardrobe closet. Extension cable fished under the galley cabinets and shower after much cussing.

Have two coax feed-thru fittings run into the refrigerator compartment just aft of the wardrobe. To hook up I just open the fridge door. Patch cables as desired to the main unit inside the wardrobe. Have a permanent VHF/UHF whip on the roof with its coax run down the solar combiner box into the top of the wardrobe to the main unit area as well.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 07:38 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2021 27' International
Carrollton , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
The control unit for my Yaesu FT-857 is on the desk in the rear of my Airstream. Main unit in forward wardrobe closet. Extension cable fished under the galley cabinets and shower after much cussing.

Have two coax feed-thru fittings run into the refrigerator compartment just aft of the wardrobe. To hook up I just open the fridge door. Patch cables as desired to the main unit inside the wardrobe. Have a permanent VHF/UHF whip on the roof with its coax run down the solar combiner box into the top of the wardrobe to the main unit area as well.
Great ideas. In my home shack I have a window pass-through with a bunch of bulkhead connectors. I'm assuming I can just do the same with the trailer except use one of the access doors to attach them do (like the refrigerator door). I can't WAIT to see the look on my wife's face when i whip out the drill and take it to her new toy
grumblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 07:47 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California

My fridge doors are plastic, so I have mounted the coax feed throughs in the common wall between the wardrobe and the fridge compartment out of the weather. Someday when I have lots of spare change I’ll get the stainless steel doors and stove vent hood.

I just open the upper fridge door to get access. DW doesn’t even know the feed through is In there. She doesn’t worry about holes in aluminum as long as they are tidy. I’ve added solar panels, power inlets, and the like.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4581.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	473.4 KB
ID:	377043

Front power inlet for the propane powered Champion 3400 dual fuel inverter generator that lurks in the truck bed. That’s a relatively new hole.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 07:54 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2021 27' International
Carrollton , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
My fridge doors are plastic, so I have mounted the coax feed throughs in the common wall between the wardrobe and the fridge compartment out of the weather. Someday when I have lots of spare change I’ll get the stainless steel doors and stove vent hood.

I just open the upper fridge door to get access. DW doesn’t even know the feed through is In there. She doesn’t worry about holes in aluminum as long as they are tidy. I’ve added solar panels, power inlets, and the like.
Excellent idea - just pop the door open and attach - and nothing exposed to the outside, no aluminum cutting!
grumblin is offline   Reply With Quote