Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-18-2020, 06:45 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Jacksonville , Florida
Clarion radio/CD player

During our most recent trip, I discovered that the Clarion unit in our '19 Flying Cloud 27FB will not power on. Also, the USB ports in the same cabinet are not working as well.
I've attempted to troubleshoot the issue by checking all the breakers/fuses in the control panel with no success.
I've had others comment on another forum (FB) that they replaced their Clarion with another device, and I'm certainly willing to do this.
I'm seeking input as to how to remove/replace the Clarion with another radio. TIA
jlowry1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 06:52 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
La Conner , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlowry1954 View Post
During our most recent trip, I discovered that the Clarion unit in our '19 Flying Cloud 27FB will not power on. Also, the USB ports in the same cabinet are not working as well.
I've attempted to troubleshoot the issue by checking all the breakers/fuses in the control panel with no success.
I've had others comment on another forum (FB) that they replaced their Clarion with another device, and I'm certainly willing to do this.
I'm seeking input as to how to remove/replace the Clarion with another radio. TIA
I will be interested in your progress on this subject. I am newbie and can't find usb port. I might be interested in a better sound source as well. I enjoy my audio with collection of music and lectures on cds and usbs. USBs do not play tracks correctly often when I put them (numbered tracks in sequence) on the USB myself. Works better on music copied to USB. Speakers seem adequate.

Newbie who doesn't even know how to refer to myself on this site. No handle yet, I guess.

George Conger 2019 FCFBQ
Blighcapn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 07:27 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Houston , Texas
I don't have any problems with the Clarion, but it is anything but intuitive to use. I'd be interested in something else too. I've changed car units, but the TV connection here makes this different. I would love to hear from someone who has found something better.
DCPAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 07:32 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Often these automotive units have an in-line fuse in the power wire...behind the unit. You have to remove the unit to get to the fuse holder. I am not familiar with the Clarion but the standard automotive bracket typically requires two litttle flat tools, one on each side to release the catches in the bracket. You take the faceplate off then insert the tools until you hear a click. My radio came with the tools.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 08:46 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 28
Buford , Georgia
Typical you don't see inline fuses in these anymore, they are normally mounted to the back of the unit itself. It sounds like you have a power feed problem since you say your separate USB ports are not functioning - either power or ground. If you know how to use a DVM this could be check very easily but the stereo may have to come out to check power - I am not familiar with the way this is configured.
So check power (12V) to a known good ground and then check your ground to a known good power. You should see something like 12-14V (depending if you have shore power on/ solar panels / state of charge of the batteries / current load draw etc.

If you do need to replace the unit (doubt you will find this is the problem), I would go with either a Kenwood or Pioneer. Clarion is NOT the brand that it once was and my 3 cents not made as well as once was.
Hope this helps...

John
strangepod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 09:16 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlowry1954 View Post
Still under warranty? Maybe you could get it fixed if you can't find the problem. It does sound like a wiring or power issue.
Old 06-18-2020, 10:09 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
Could very well be a wiring issue. Definitely check that first.

Then do yourself a huge favor and replace the Clarion with something that is more enjoyable to operate (if you find the user interface as annoying as my wife and I did with Bluetooth connecting, etc) and get some nicer usb charging ports. More than half of the usb charging ports in our trailer failed. New ones will allow for more/quicker charging capacity as well. Be aware when installing them that the positive and negative wires might not be accurate as ours weren’t. Meaning positive was wired as negative and vice versa from the factory on one or two of the usbs. Whatever!
Meeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 11:02 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 28
Buford , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeks View Post
Could very well be a wiring issue. Definitely check that first.

Then do yourself a huge favor and replace the Clarion with something that is more enjoyable to operate (if you find the user interface as annoying as my wife and I did with Bluetooth connecting, etc) and get some nicer usb charging ports. More than half of the usb charging ports in our trailer failed. New ones will allow for more/quicker charging capacity as well. Be aware when installing them that the positive and negative wires might not be accurate as ours weren’t. Meaning positive was wired as negative and vice versa from the factory on one or two of the usbs. Whatever!

Or as I say "Trust but verify"
Old 06-18-2020, 06:53 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Jacksonville , Florida
👍👍👍
jlowry1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 03:59 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Summerfield , Florida
I have hearing aids with blue tooth control of aid settings.
Question: With the sound quality of the internal speakers on my 24" Samsung "dumb" TV, How do I set up Clarion Radio so I can hear through the Clarion Speakers?
Pubtym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 07:39 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Western NC , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pubtym View Post
Question: With the sound quality of the internal speakers on my 24" Samsung "dumb" TV, How do I set up Clarion Radio so I can hear through the Clarion Speakers?

If it’s a factory install with the Television connected to the radio, you just select the input to Aux.

If not lots of wiring etc.
JonDNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 05:36 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 28
Buford , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pubtym View Post

You could do something like this...

https://www.amazon.com/HERCHR-Blueto...a-841204294042
Old 08-04-2020, 11:41 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Madison , Indiana
Just brought my 2012 International out of storage and the radio (Sony) does not come on at all. Checked the fuse and there is no wire at the # 9 location. No modifications by me, and I bought it new!
Dwellstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 04:14 PM   #14
lgranrud

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Whitewater , Colorado
I know this thread has been idle for some time, but I just resolved this issue in my 2016 27FB flying cloud. Apparently, the previous owner (or the dealership) had seen this issue too. When I bought this camper, the radio was powered by a small inverter plugged into the shore power AC outlet above the DVD player. I thought this is so inefficient to power a 12v car stereo with an inverter. The dual USB ports (12v to USB adapter) was not getting power either, Hmm.

In the rats nest behind the radio, I found a spare 12v and ground wire pair from circuit #8, the grey wire, that had been snipped and taped. Now I'm feeling like a forensic engineer. According to the label in the DC distribution panel, the radio and USB ports are both powered by DC circuit #8 (the grey wire). There is indeed 12v available on the grey wire in the DC distribution panel, but the circuit is broken (not shorted) before reaching the cabinet above the dinette. I accidentally found that bouncing on the steps would intermittently restore 12v on this grey wire. I tried for days to find the loose/broken connection on the grey wire. I finally gave up on the grey wire (circuit #8).

I saw that circuit #7 (the black wire) also runs through the same rats nest as the grey wire. You know where I'm going with this solution? Circuit #7 powers the reading lights/dome light above the dinette and the sub-woofer. Using the Victron 700 DMV I installed with my LiFeP04 drop-in battery upgrade (another story), I measured the power draw of each of the components on circuit #8 (with a new wire run along the cabin floor) and circuit #7. The current draw (including the radio) of all of these components are well under the 15 A fuse protecting each circuit.

So, I simply cut the grey wire before it was split into four wires and tied it into the black wire (circuit #7). Even if I'm wrong with the load, the black wire is protected by it's 15 A fuse. I removed the 15 A fuse for circuit #8 in the DC distribution panel to avoid any potential issues with the suspect grey wire.

I am an Electrical Engineer, so I can steam into this issue with supreme ignorance, I mean confidence.

Now the radio (also changed out, also another story) is powered directly by 12v as it was originally intended. The dual USB charging ports also work without issue.

Hopefully this was helpful.

Larry G.
lgranrud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 06:13 PM   #15
lgranrud

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Whitewater , Colorado
Correction: Wherever I said "inverter" it should have read "converter".
Old 02-17-2021, 10:36 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' International
Charlotte , North Carolina
Last year as a COVID project I took inspiration from a thread started by the poster wulfrat on this forum and upgraded the Clarion head unit, plus speakers and subwoofer.

I cut out for a larger (double DIN) radio unit and put in a touchscreen that is much more intuitive than the Clarion, which was my main purpose. That and the Clarion just failed to look very nice compared to the rest of the interior.

I am not an Electrical Engineer, but it isn't that hard if one reads all the instructions and information about the process.

Also took up leather working and dog breeding as COVID projects and this one was on the easy side.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200622_084458.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	232.1 KB
ID:	388861  
Al U. Minium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 11:23 AM   #17
lgranrud

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Whitewater , Colorado
Nice setup Al,

Which speakers and subwoofer did you use?
Old 02-18-2021, 03:00 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
North Central Texas , USA
That really looks good, nice job. The Clarion (which we feel is useless) is one of those 'I'll get to it later' projects for now, but your work is inspiring.
RivetED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 09:08 PM   #19
Heb
2 Rivet Member

2018 23' International
Happy Valley , Oregon
Going through our “new to us” 2018 International Serenity 23FB it appears the previous owner had the similar issue with the Clarion receiver. He included a new Kenwood receiver. We lost functionality of the TV through the surrounds (not the end of the world).

Does that touch screen head unit work with the TV? Anyone find any good patches to get the TV wired in?

Found the gray and black wires in original harness behind just unplugged. Attached is a picture of our new kenwood. Sounds great, Bluetooth is seamless.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	489E46FD-0A21-40D1-A72A-E4C5A976A0D8.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	215.7 KB
ID:	390873  
Heb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 11:50 AM   #20
lgranrud

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Whitewater , Colorado
Which model Kenwood do you have? I have the model KDC-BT572U, which has an “aux” input that can be used for the TV. The TV audio output wires should be available behind the head unit.

P.S. It seems your profile is out of date. Unless, you are "currently looking" for an additional camper?