Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2022, 05:43 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2021 30' Globetrotter
Oviedo , Florida
Cell based security system

Does anyone have or know of a cell based security/camera system I can put in my trailer while in storage? My storage facility is pretty safe and I do have power but I did have an occasion where the power went out while my batteries were charging and I did not know it for several days. The batteries were very low when I finally got there although they don’t seem to be any the worse for wear.

Maybe a cell phone or iPad set up as server node? Any off the shelf or DIY solutions? Hooked to a couple of ring cameras?
jondrew55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 06:59 AM   #2
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
I haven't tried it yet but I have a Simply Safe set up on my garage and it texts me with alarm events. I asked on the Simply Safe forum if it would do that on an RV that was not in a wifi area and they said yes, the cell phone notification would still work if it was in a cell reception area, but the monitoring from a call center would not, which I don't use anyway. This makes sense as I know a builder who uses them on empty buildings with no wifi and if someone breaks in he gets a text message. I have Ring cameras set up so if I get an alarm notification I can log into the Ring cameras and look around. You will not be able to use Ring cameras or the Simply Safe camera without a wifi network that you can access.
With the Simply Safe it plugs in but will still run off it's backup battery for quite a while. It will probably text you if there is a power outage but I haven't tried that yet. You won't be able to arm and disarm remotely without wifi.
All the sensors are battery/wireless so you can have door sensors, motion sensors and wireless/battery sirens.
Old 01-21-2022, 07:02 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
You might consider a trail camera with cellular. There are many options out there at retailers like Cabela’s or Bass Pro Shops. Prices have dropped considerably in the last couple of years.

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 08:04 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2021 30' Globetrotter
Oviedo , Florida
I just ordered one of these from Amazon. Of course you can’t tell from the reviews if it’s any good or not. Since it supposedly pan/tilt/zoom, I can have it look at something plugged into 110 like a small light, put a thermometer somewhere I can look at and use it for security while camping and to check on our dogs.

Free returns in case it does not work. Lots of complaints about working with different cell providers so we’ll see.

https://www.amazon.com/Outdoor-Secur...NsaWNrPXRydWU=
Old 01-21-2022, 08:30 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Malibu , California
I left my Internet setup switched on while in storage (Pep-wave modem + Poynting antenna) and I have a little Nest camera that I had remote access to.
CMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 09:13 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2003 28' Classic
Stillwater , Oklahoma
I have the Arlo Go and am very happy with it. It's a Verizon product, i'm sure other providers also have a like product. No wireless needed, text message if triggered.
ttrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 09:49 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Central , Ohio
About the Arlo Go - does it continuously use cellular data or is it only when you ping it or it detects something? How much data does it use monthly?

1984 310 Limited Motor Home "The Rockin' A"
Alumatube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 09:54 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2003 28' Classic
Stillwater , Oklahoma
My guess is only when I hit it. So uses very little. Camera cost around 300. service is around 15 per month
ttrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 09:59 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Central , Ohio
Cool, thank you!

1984 310 Limited Motor Home "The Rockin' A"
Alumatube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 10:37 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2013 30' Classic
Key West , Florida
Ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrew55 View Post
Does anyone have or know of a cell based security/camera system I can put in my trailer while in storage? My storage facility is pretty safe and I do have power but I did have an occasion where the power went out while my batteries were charging and I did not know it for several days. The batteries were very low when I finally got there although they don’t seem to be any the worse for wear.

Maybe a cell phone or iPad set up as server node? Any off the shelf or DIY solutions? Hooked to a couple of ring cameras?
DIY Ring security systems has a cellular backhaul mode. System can support several types of cameras, door/window sensors and doorbells, temp and water leak sensors, fire alarm, motion detectors, door locks, lights, garage door openers and thermostat control. Built in battery backup. Can be professionally or self monitored.

https://ring.com/
DonRich7878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 10:55 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2017 19' International
Melbourne , Florida
ARLO Go. Buy on Amazon or Thur ARLO and activate with Verizon Data plan $17 Month unlimited data. Take the camera where ever you go. Works Excellent
grovepark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 11:26 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2018 26' Flying Cloud
Oriental , North Carolina
I have used Simply Safe before. It uses cell phone communication. Just make sure the unit you buy matches your cell phone company. I got one designed for T-Mobile and Simply Safe had to send me a different board to use with Verizon. They did that at no charge.
Captn.Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 12:18 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vero Beach , Florida
I’m a Verizon wireless customer. I installed a Verizon JetPack (cell connection/WiFi hub hotspot in one box) and Amazon Blink cameras. The models I use include motion detection and temperature monitoring. They provide security but also watch the dogs when we are on the road and away from the trailer (I particularly worry about overheating if a power failure or mechanical issue kills the AC in the warm months). As a bonus, I added a video server and a directional cellular antenna that I believe performs better than my WeBoost.
GammaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 01:29 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2020 23' Flying Cloud
2019 22' Sport
Sebastian , Florida
All of these options are a balance of features and cost.
For SimpliSafe, you buy the hardware ($160 for base station and keypad) and add other sensors (entry, motion, glass break, temperature, water, CO, smoke...) The service is $25/mo, including human monitoring which assumes a fixed address. You also get a computer/phone app that lets you check on sensor status, including power to the base station. You need to log on to check the power... other alarms are communicated by a phone call from the monitoring service. You can inactivate the alarm remotely for your AirBNB customers.
A camera is available ($99) I don't know if there is an additional monthly charge or WIFI requirement.
Customer service is pretty good. We have gotten some false alarms, probably due to power issues. I hope the latest hardware is more bulletproof.
Hope this helps.
GetawA-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 08:32 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Flagstaff , Arizona
I documented my camera system in this post. Four cameras positions for around $150.

Old 01-22-2022, 08:40 AM   #16
2019 - 33' Classic

2019 33' Classic
Grand Junction , Colorado
Following- thank you!
RickyNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 08:46 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2017 19' International
Melbourne , Florida
Attached is a screen shot of my Arlo Security System. Four are Wireless Arlo Ultra Cameras that continuously streams from two different locations 2 are in Florida and 2 are in South Carolina. The 5th camera is an Arlo-Go Wireless on a Verizon Data Plan. It has its own SIM card unlimited data plan $17 a month. Th Arlo-Go can be be access from any smart phone or computer and records anything that comes within the Activity Zone and sends Text and or E-mail notifications. Hope this helps
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot of Arlo System 22 Jan 2022.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	201.7 KB
ID:	410888  
grovepark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 11:02 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2021 30' Globetrotter
Oviedo , Florida
Well, that doesn’t work. Took it to AT&T and the guy checked the IMSE number and it turns out it is not supported on their network. So back it goes.

I have an iPad mini with cell service so I’m going to see if I can hook a ring camera to that. Maybe that’s the solution.

Quote:
I just ordered one of these from Amazon. Of course you can’t tell from the reviews if it’s any good or not. Since it supposedly pan/tilt/zoom, I can have it look at something plugged into 110 like a small light, put a thermometer somewhere I can look at and use it for security while camping and to check on our dogs.

Free returns in case it does not work. Lots of complaints about working with different cell providers so we’ll see.

https://www.amazon.com/Outdoor-Secur...NsaWNrPXRydWU=
Old 01-22-2022, 12:44 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2021 30' Globetrotter
Oviedo , Florida
Alrighty then, Ring cameras won’t work on mobile hotspots.

Let’s see what’s next on the list

Quote:
Well, that doesn’t work. Took it to AT&T and the guy checked the IMSE number and it turns out it is not supported on their network. So back it goes.

I have an iPad mini with cell service so I’m going to see if I can hook a ring camera to that. Maybe that’s the solution.
Old 01-22-2022, 01:15 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Flagstaff , Arizona
Quote:
Alrighty then, Ring cameras won’t work on mobile hotspots.

Let’s see what’s next on the list
Not following what you are trying to do. Without a cellular router in the trailer or nearby WiFi hotspot to link to your options are few and generally expensive with monthly commitments.