Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2019, 07:28 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Providence , Senior Electrical Engineer
Cable & Satellite Routing 2019??

2019 International Serenity 25RB

I am trying to understand how the routing of the outside cable and satellite input connections work.

We only had the AS for a week before sending it back for repair, so not much time to play with it.

Outside there are two coax connections, I've used the Cable to run Cox communications cable signal so I know that works when you switch the tvs from OTA to Cable inputs.

My question is, how exactly does the satellite input on the outside work/connect to the system? If it the satellite input to the receiver, then how do you route the output to the receiver to the tvs in the camper to feed both?

I can't really find a clear answer in all the docs we got with the unit.....or maybe I just missed it somewhere.

Anyone have any knowledge on how the two are setup?

Thanks.
kittmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 12:01 PM   #2
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
Cable for the satellite system should be found behind the blu ray player. It is a direct cable to that location.
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 12:16 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Ok...so if it direct connects to the sat receiver input...how do you send the output to the tvs?
Old 04-21-2019, 02:50 PM   #4
LDM
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2024 27' Globetrotter
Jonesville , Louisiana
There is no special cable to the tv for sat. I disconnect blu ray cable and used it.
LDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 06:49 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
So the blu-ray is HDMI out to both tv's yes?

So you just unplug it and plug it into the satellite HDMI out?

If so, then it makes sense to have an HDMI switcher so it won't need to be disconnected.
Old 04-22-2019, 08:14 AM   #6
LDM
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2024 27' Globetrotter
Jonesville , Louisiana
Yes that makes sense but I never could make a HDMI switcher work. So I move the splitter from behind the blu-ray to on top of shelf. Easy to plug and use one or both tv. Country Boy Fix.
Old 04-22-2019, 08:25 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Kingwood , Texas
You need at least a 2 - input 2 - output powered HDMI splitter to work on both the front and back televisions for the receiver and DVD player.
DoubleR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 09:28 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' Tommy Bahama
Narragansett , Rhode Island
SAT Connection

I bought a powered 4 input X 2 Output HDMI switch. Inputs are Blu Ray, SAT Receiver, ROKU, and spare to connect iPad or other portable. One output per TV. switch comes with remote to do switching if wanted. Be sure to check switch specifications to be sure of signal quality capability. Mine handles 4K signals. Cost about $120 as I recall. In use over 2 years and all works well.
Gansett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 11:20 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansett View Post
I bought a powered 4 input X 2 Output HDMI switch. Inputs are Blu Ray, SAT Receiver, ROKU, and spare to connect iPad or other portable. One output per TV. switch comes with remote to do switching if wanted. Be sure to check switch specifications to be sure of signal quality capability. Mine handles 4K signals. Cost about $120 as I recall. In use over 2 years and all works well.
Do you have a link to what you are using? Monoprice switcher? Something else?

Would rather buy what is known than to guess!

TY!

Chris
Old 04-22-2019, 02:12 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Colorado Springs , Colorado
HDMI 4x2 switch box

This is the HDMI switch box I used. I removed the HDMI splitter that Airstream put undr the BlueRay. On the HDMI switch box, Input #1 is the Blueray, input #2 is the Sat Receiver, input #3 is our Firestick. Output #1 is the lounge TV, and Output #2 is the bedroom TV.. Works Great for us.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B014R...b_b_asin_title
amaier7771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 02:28 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by amaier7771 View Post
This is the HDMI switch box I used. I removed the HDMI splitter that Airstream put undr the BlueRay. On the HDMI switch box, Input #1 is the Blueray, input #2 is the Sat Receiver, input #3 is our Firestick. Output #1 is the lounge TV, and Output #2 is the bedroom TV.. Works Great for us.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B014R...b_b_asin_title
Thank you for the link!
Old 04-22-2019, 03:17 PM   #12
LDM
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2024 27' Globetrotter
Jonesville , Louisiana
I just put one in my amazon cart thanks.
Old 04-22-2019, 03:21 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDM View Post
I just put one in my amazon cart thanks.
As did I!

Old 04-22-2019, 03:57 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2016 28' International
Trois-Rivieres , Quebec
SAT cable can be behind the radio

Although the manual states that the cable will be found under the DVD player. That is not always the case.

In my 2016 International Signature I removed the DVD unit, removed the bottom railing of the sliding plexiglass doors to be able to remove the panel (with the two 110V wall plugs) to get to the cabling behind the radio. I found the SAT coax cable (labelled SAT) in the nest of cables there.

The cable had two strips of electrical tape leading me to believe that the cable was taped to the rest of the DVD cable harness but broke off during installation and remained walled in behind the radio panel.

An alternative to removing the plywood panel between the DVD and the radio compartment is to slide the radio out to get to the SAT cable. But you will need a pair of tools that slide on either side of the radio to unhook it from its metal sleeve; a techician at Jackson Center showed me how that was done -- any shop that installs car radios can do this in a few minutes (or any car radio thief for that matter...).

So if you don't find the SAT cable under the DVD player, don't despair, it's probably in the compartment behind the radio.
DIY Solar: 500W Renogy panels, AM Solar hdw, Blue Sky MPPT controller, 470ah Rolls battery bank, 2000W Renogy inverter.
Hermes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 08:28 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Satellite Cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghaynes755 View Post
Cable for the satellite system should be found behind the blu ray player. It is a direct cable to that location.
Maybe someone can answer this question. I have a 2018 FC27FB and outside I have two inputs- one labeled “satellite” and one labeled “cable”. Inside, behind my blu-Ray player, there is only one HDMI cable going to a HDMI splitter that I assume goes out to each tv.

Is there a way to access that satellite coaxial line independent of the cable? My plan was to use the cable input for the tv’s and I would like to use the satellite input for connecting my WeBoost cell signal booster.
TxTravelsUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 08:51 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' Tommy Bahama
Narragansett , Rhode Island
SAT Connection

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittmaster View Post
Do you have a link to what you are using? Monoprice switcher? Something else?

Would rather buy what is known than to guess!

TY!

Chris
Here is a screen shot of a newer version of my switch. I didn’t find the actual unit I bought on Amazon:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	943F930C-65E5-4F6B-84EB-082F324C85EE.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	197.2 KB
ID:	338922  
Gansett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 12:49 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptdzl View Post
As a current (spoiled) Winegard trav'ler Dish user, Is it possible with portable dishes to get two different channels when conflicting TV interest arise between the DW and I? My trav'ler is a 3 LNB dish totally automatic not an issue. I have both the portable DishTV dishes, X2 & playmaker, ( never liquidated after installing the trav'ler) I know the X2 has 2 outputs but wouldn't that be a cabling nightmare? Any suggestions? I know the easiest is to default to what my DW is watching.

Thanks
Rick

I'm in the research and purchasing process on a 27? currently.
Yes, the suggestion is make your own thread and let mine proceed without branching off to something that has nothing to do with my original post.

Thanks.
Old 04-23-2019, 12:58 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Erie , Pennsylvania
POST deleted per suggestion

deleted
cptdzl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 06:50 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

2019 23' Flying Cloud
Big Pine Key , Florida
$10 USB powered HDMI splitter from Amazon:https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

There is a USB power port right there and next to the radio. Get some right angle HDMI adapters and some extra cables when you order to handle the hard right turns behind the consoles that you have to make. Remove the radio from the cabinet, find the SAT cable coiled up behind the BluRay player. Remove the HDMI plug that runs to the TV from the back of the player (then, in my case, spend the next 3 hours painstakingly threading each individual wire simultaneously from the HDMI cable that runs behind the wall output that came off the back of the BluRay player but left the metal shielded jacket and plastic plug pulled out and use SuperGlue liberally on the repair). Get double velcro tape to hold down the new Sat receiver and 1TB hard drive (return non working hard drive, repeat). And that is it, easy peasy. Oh, you may notice that I had to drill a hole above the USB power outlet to run all those cables through.
Cheers,
Mitch
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Airsteam splitter.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	203.5 KB
ID:	339310  
Mitchsnider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 04:40 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchsnider View Post
$10 USB powered HDMI splitter from Amazon:https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

There is a USB power port right there and next to the radio. Get some right angle HDMI adapters and some extra cables when you order to handle the hard right turns behind the consoles that you have to make. Remove the radio from the cabinet, find the SAT cable coiled up behind the BluRay player. Remove the HDMI plug that runs to the TV from the back of the player (then, in my case, spend the next 3 hours painstakingly threading each individual wire simultaneously from the HDMI cable that runs behind the wall output that came off the back of the BluRay player but left the metal shielded jacket and plastic plug pulled out and use SuperGlue liberally on the repair). Get double velcro tape to hold down the new Sat receiver and 1TB hard drive (return non working hard drive, repeat). And that is it, easy peasy. Oh, you may notice that I had to drill a hole above the USB power outlet to run all those cables through.
Cheers,
Mitch

My Serenity is very different in setup, I'm trying to figure out how to access the cables behind the dvd player. It is in a chamber below, it looks like it should just be access by a panel on the left with two screws, but it doesn't come out very easy and not wanting to force it.

I found that I need to add a matrix to get high def cable to the tvs...my SD box is junk, but has HDMI.....hmmm