Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-12-2012, 11:22 PM   #1
Road Geezer

2011 27' FB Flying Cloud
San Jose , California
BluRay

I'd like to upgrade the disk player/radio that came with our 2011 FC to handle BluRay DVDs.

Has anyone out there done this yet? If so, what did deck did you use? Did you replace or add speakers for 5.1 sound? How do you like the results?

I'd appreciate any advice you have; thanks!
Respect Each Other
Road Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 08:39 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Broadway , North Carolina
I've been looking into this so can't say I've a good solution, but will share what I have learned so far.

First decision to make is playing the blu-rays while on 12v power only. The DVD player in our Airstream is a Sony automotive in-dash headunit (12v). There do not seem to be any in-dash blu-ray payers out there or any coming. I suspect this is because most car video is for backseat where the Blu-ray high resolution is wasted on the tiny screens.

Sharp has a series of blu-ray players that have a 12v power brick so can run off a 12v battery if direct wired. Amazon.com: Sharp BD-HP90U Blu-ray Disc Player - 1080p: Electronics
The audio could feed into the aux inputs of the Airstream's Sony headunit. (getting true surround sound out is another discussion)

Another off-grid solution is a laptop with a blu-ray drive and HDMI or Displayport output to the flatscreen. HDMI carries video and encoded 5.1/7.1 audio.

For surround sound there are a few things more to think about:
- Blu-rays have a very high quality audio that will not transmit over USB or fiber (SPDF/Toslink) unless it is down-sampled to DVD audio quality
- a Dolby decoder is needed and if you do not want down sampled audio, this will have to use the HDMI output of the blu-ray player
- a 6 or 8 channel amplifier is needed
- current Arstream speakers are not ideally located to use as the front and rear surround channels.
- 7.1 may be overkill in the small listening area in an airstream so 5.1 may be fine
- 2.1 sound bars may be a good option for an airstream. I have not figured this out yet but they are an awkward size to mount in an airstream and may or may not do justice to Bluray surround audio
- If downsampled 5.1 audio, equivalent to the DVD quality, is OK there are some decoder solutions available in USB or optical . Or, for 7.1 high resolution bluray sound an HDMI model.
- some of the Sony head units Airstream uses can simulate 5.1 surround sound through 4 speakers - check owners manual, I think some may even have a center speaker output.

I have decided to go with a 12v only solution so am starting to narrow things down.
Wayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 10:38 AM   #3
Road Geezer

2011 27' FB Flying Cloud
San Jose , California
Good advice, thank you. Actually, I don't necessarily want the high quality video; it would be OK, not not mandatory. What I'm trying to avoid is having to buy two formats of DVDs, one for home (BluRay) and another for the Airstream on the road. The 27" flat screen TV does pretty well with standard definition because it's so small.

I want to re-jig the audio because, as you mentioned the placement if the speakers is pretty lame. I'm thinking about a beefed up subwoofer and a few small, Bose-like satellite speakers. I agree, 5.1 is probably the most channels needed--probably 4.1 (without center) would be fine.

I like the idea of using a laptop for the BluRay player; hadn't thought of that and it's probably the least disruptive way to go. A side benefit is that depending on local wireless speed available, I might be able to stream Netflix at least in standard definition ... hmmm

Let's keep in touch on this; I'd appreciate the benefit of your experience,

Paul
Respect Each Other
Old 08-14-2012, 08:52 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Broadway , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Geezer View Post
Let's keep in touch on this; I'd appreciate the benefit of your experience,
You are most welcome. I'm interested in what you decide especially on the audio. Even though it is interesting to make work, I too am thinking pure 5.1 may be lost in such a small area, so that 2.1 sound bar or other simulated surround sound (from the Sony headunit) may work fine.

I forgot to mention one other thing that I read elsewhere on this site, that some TV sets have an audio-in, which would allow the set's speakers to be used as a center channel.
Wayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 01:02 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Our audio distribution is via 12vdc Sony; blue ray is samsung 110vac. An inverter or shore power is needed to use both blue ray and video / tv. We use the TV as center channel but only as far as the fader / balance controls allow; it is full range audio from the TV and not pure 5.1.
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 01:17 AM   #6
Road Geezer

2011 27' FB Flying Cloud
San Jose , California
Upgrading to bluray ... problem

So I decided to improve sound by getting a Bose Solo 5 soundbar to mount under the Samsung TV. I also bought an LG bluray DVD player.

The Bose connected to the TV thru the optical out port.
The LG connected to the TV thru the HDMI 1 port.

I get good quality video, but no sound out of my Bose when I select the HDMI as the source. When the source is TV, the Bose yields great sound.

Has anyone else had this problem? I'm thinking Samsung has a audio signal routing problem with HDMI input.
Respect Each Other
Old 09-24-2017, 05:46 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
What model Samsung? Has it been modified by Airstream had has the RCA cables coming out the back? Maybe the manual specifies this interactions.

I don't own a Solo 5 but the manual addresses your issue with he TV not switching the sound internally and the solution is for you to plug your BluRay audio directly into the Solo 5 keeping the HDMI from the BluRay to the TV for video signal only.

Only solution is to purchase another LED TV that doesn't have this restriction.

Kelvin
Old 09-24-2017, 08:00 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
http://tinyurl.com/ychdb7ns <-- Solo 5 alternate connections start at p24
Old 09-24-2017, 09:23 AM   #9
Road Geezer

2011 27' FB Flying Cloud
San Jose , California
Thank you for that idea. I hadn't noticed the idea of using the far left port on the Bose. Ill give it a try and post my results.
Respect Each Other
Old 09-24-2017, 09:27 AM   #10
Road Geezer

2011 27' FB Flying Cloud
San Jose , California
Its a UN22C4000 series TV. I chatted with Samsung about my problem, they suggested a couple things to try, but neither worked. I'm going to try one more cable option. If that doesn't work, I'll replace the TV. Problem is that its very hard to find small screen TVs with optical out. Ive identified a couple. Stay tuned.
Respect Each Other
Old 09-24-2017, 09:40 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Geezer View Post
its very hard to find small screen TVs with optical out.
Vizeo? I have a 24" with an optical connection to a sound bar.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 09:54 AM   #12
Road Geezer

2011 27' FB Flying Cloud
San Jose , California
Success!!!!

I tried Wabbiteer's suggestion.

I connected the red/white audio hacked by Airstream into the Samsung's internal speakers into a "Y" connector and plugged it into the Aux port on the back of the Bose. Worked!!! The TV only provides optical audio out, and that port wasn't working as I mentioned above.

Only one very minor problem. The internal speakers must be on--at low volume--so there's a remote chance of some echo between the Bose and the TV speakers. Thinking duct tape may solve that problem if needed.

Thanks, All, for your suggestions.

BTW, the Bose Solo5 soundbar is excellent. Really good, realistic sound fills the whole salon area. It is about the same width as the Samsung TV, so it fits quite well. You can get a refurbished version on eBay from Bose factory at about $60 off msrp with free shipping.
Respect Each Other
Old 09-24-2017, 09:55 AM   #13
Road Geezer

2011 27' FB Flying Cloud
San Jose , California
I couldn't find a 24" vizeo with optical out. Where did you get it?
Respect Each Other