Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2023, 06:00 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2023 30' Classic
Maryville , Tennessee
AT&T plan for 2023 airstream connected hotspot

I have a 2023 classic with factory installed airstream connected hotspot. my home computer and cell phones are AT&T so I'd like to use AT&T as my provider in my airstream. I'm not sure how to go about getting a Sim card and hooking up my hotspot. Does anybody have a classic with an AT&T package that they like that could tell me how to go about ordering the correct service?
Otto Slater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2023, 09:08 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2022 28' Pottery Barn
Flagstaff , Arizona
It will be quite easy for you since all of your other services are through the same provider. Just go to att.com and there should be a “prepaid data plans” section somewhere. You need to just order a SIM card there. It will be associated with a new and different phone number. Should also not cost anything for the SIM card.

Hope that helps!
StreaminNP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2023, 09:58 AM   #3
Rivet Master

North AL , Alabama
Not the expert, but I believe you will need the Airstream Connect specific plan that supports LTE-A. I have heard you may be able to install another LTE Sim in the Airstream Connect Pepwave Router, but I believe you have to call Airstream for the administrator password and they will only provide it if you agree that you're giving up your warranty and any technical support on the product. I'm sure someone with more knowledge will be along shortly.
Tyler2you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2023, 10:02 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
2020 25' International
minneapolis , Minnesota
Pepwave purchased through MMH not Airstream OEM

After dealing with unsuccessful plans offered through resellers, I ended up going directly through AT&T with an “unlimited” plan “throttled” to 20 or 25mbps. Anything unlimited will get throttled at some point. If you watch Netflix etc, the goal is to have unlimited, you just need enough speed to watch without buffering, that’s going to be in that 10-12mbps. Also take into consideration how many devices connected.
We have been on the road 12 months, and will continue until late fall. My pepwave (AT&T router) is our redundancy plan, we use Starlink for our go-to. Devices like the wi-fi thermostat remain connected to the pepwave (AT&T) router. The AT&T plan comes in handy when trees obstruct the Starlink (has only happened 2 or 3 times over 12 months.
Old 03-04-2023, 10:15 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
2020 25' International
minneapolis , Minnesota
I just read Tyler’s response. I’m not sure what Airstream is offering now. I know they offered equipment and plans a couple years ago which they discontinued. I purchased my Pepwave and antenna from MMH who offered a 300gb plan for $150. After three months of struggling to gain more than 1.5-2mbps, I later found out the plan was throttled by AT&T due to licensing restrictions on MMH. That’s when I purchased my current plan directly through AT&T mentioned in my previous post. Not sure about the warranty. Like Tyler mentioned, Airstream might not cover you, though AT&T gave me full ongoing support to connect the equipment. Actual hardware warranty will be through the component manufacturer for a year, if you have any component issues, just reach out to them.
Old 03-04-2023, 01:26 PM   #6
Rivet Master

North AL , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1000pre View Post
I know they offered equipment and plans a couple years ago which they discontinued.
Yes, my information may be dated. I had a neighbor at our storage place that had a 2021 Classic with the Airstream Connect Hardware and he was always looking for a way to make it work after they discontinued his plan.
Tyler2you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2023, 05:26 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2022 28' Pottery Barn
Flagstaff , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler2you View Post
Not the expert, but I believe you will need the Airstream Connect specific plan that supports LTE-A. I have heard you may be able to install another LTE Sim in the Airstream Connect Pepwave Router, but I believe you have to call Airstream for the administrator password and they will only provide it if you agree that you're giving up your warranty and any technical support on the product. I'm sure someone with more knowledge will be along shortly.

I just went through all of this with my 2022 Pottery Barn. The plan that came with the router (Pepwave) was initially a DataConnect Pass via ATT. That is currently being discontinued so ATT sent me an email to get a new free SIM card and to choose a prepaid data plan.
StreaminNP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 07:23 AM   #8
EDuprey

2022 25' Globetrotter
Whitmore Lake , Michigan
I had the factory AS Connect ordered with my 2023 GT and was not pleased with the setup. I purchased a new Peplink BRMax dual sim router (use the antenna AS installed) and used the sim from my existing Verizon hotspot and signed up with AT&T with their Unlimited, unthrottled (so they claim) business plan sim for $90 a month. HUGE improvement. Can stream 4K Netflix and Directv Stream anywhere I have been and I do boondock most of the time. If AT&T has a weak signal, I just switch over to my 50GB Verizon sim. Good luck.

2023 Globetrotter 25FBT
300W Solar, 300AH BB Batteries, Victron 3000W Inverter, CerboGX, & Charge Controllers, LevelMate Pro, Peplink Router, Victron AC to DC & DC to DC Chargers
TV: 2023 Expedition Max w/HD Tow Package
Eduprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 10:40 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2022 33' Classic
Minneapolis , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreaminNP View Post
I just went through all of this with my 2022 Pottery Barn. The plan that came with the router (Pepwave) was initially a DataConnect Pass via ATT. That is currently being discontinued so ATT sent me an email to get a new free SIM card and to choose a prepaid data plan.
Yes. We have a 2023 Classic 33' (delivered late 2022, saying this b/c there seem to have been changes during 2022) and had problems with the Pepwave. If you have this vintage AS and you've done nothing, your Pepwave is *probably* not working or may have stopped working in late Fall 2022.

What I did was:

Pull the Pepwave unit -- b/c you can't do much the way it's mounted in my model, anyway
Unplug everything, unscrew the "SIM protector" in the back
Take a picture of the IMEI number -- you will need it
Take out the existing SIM (it is junk)
Go to an AT&T Store -- b/c this is where I have accounts; T-Mob would also work, others have opined on this topic

You can try to shorten your painful visit to AT&T (or wherever) by just getting them to enter your IMEI, or you can listen to them talk until they finally enter your IMEI into the system. The IMEI determines the plans they *can* sell you. There really isn't a way to circumvent this. The carriers know what these units are from the IMEI and someone in their marketing department has already made your decision for you about data caps and throttling and that determines the plans the store people *can* sell you.

Remember that, in its wisdom, AS installed a 4G Pepwave (and a 3G SIM!!), which is too bad. The 5G units (some models) will fall back to 4G and 4G is what you'll get in the middle of nowhere, but 5G in urban areas is often quite a bit faster. Anyway, you'll choose from among plans you *can* get regardless of your provider. It won't be all you'd hope for, that's for sure.

Put the new SIM in the unit -- do NOT leave the old SIM in or put it back in
Consider attaching one external WiFi antenna for park WiFi -- my leads were not attached by AS originally
Reattach both external LTE antennas
Plug the power back in and get ready to test it

You'll need the two AS apps (it's two on an iPhone, at least).

If you've already bonded your Pepwave to a wireless access point -- for example, a Starlink router in the trailer -- you might have to turn that AP off. AS have configured the Pepwave to be very "greedy" and it will reattach to that WiFi AP and may not allow your Pepwave to use the cellular network. YMMV, but that was my experience. Mess around with the app until the Pepwave is NOT connected to WiFi on the WAN (the internet) side. You'll know you are disconnected from WAN-side WiFi when you *could* again select a WiFi network in the Connected app, but you don't pick one or you can turn WiFi off. You may also have to force-close both Connected apps on your iPhone and then reopen them to accomplish this. This is all very finicky.

Now (and you must do this other stuff first b/c you are configuring the Pepwave from the LAN-side WiFi) turn your mobile phone's WiFi off -- you don't want to attach to the Pepwave's LAN-side WiFi during testing, your mobile phone will be "greedy" about trying to do this.

You should see your AS Connected monitoring, etc., via the Cellular network within a few minutes if you have cellular reception. For clarification: the Pepwave and your mobile phone should both only be connected to the cellular network for testing. That's how you'll know you have a SIM / Pepwave combo that's working.

M & K
Airstream Classic 33, 2022.5
Ram 3500 Ltd + Propride Hitch
BreadNCircus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 07:59 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
Sykesville , Maryland
Following
mgblake13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 04:42 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Delray Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgblake13 View Post
Following
Following
#4636 FL/NC
South Florida Airstream Club #30
time2travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 06:19 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2022 20' Caravel
Southeastern , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Slater View Post
I have a 2023 classic with factory installed airstream connected hotspot. my home computer and cell phones are AT&T so I'd like to use AT&T as my provider in my airstream. I'm not sure how to go about getting a Sim card and hooking up my hotspot. Does anybody have a classic with an AT&T package that they like that could tell me how to go about ordering the correct service?
Why not just use the hotspot in one of your AT&T smartphones?
RickBullotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2023, 09:52 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Apple Valley , Minnesota
Possible reasons

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickBullotta View Post
Why not just use the hotspot in one of your AT&T smartphones?
  • A proper external antenna will get a better signal than your phone in your hand or lying on a table inside your Airstream. The should results in better data rates and consistent connection if all other factors are equal (such as cell modem categories). I've had to stack pillows on the table to position my cell phone on top to get a signal for the hotspot through the windows while my dedicated non-pep-wave like unit just worked when powered on due to the roof antennas.
  • The Pep-wave and other first-responder grade hotspots have a stronger cell radio (more wattage for transmission to the tower to increase the range/signal strength besides the external antenna's contribution, so you get better results when combined) and duty cycle (designed to run all day/night long while bouncing down the road in a squad car/fire truck/ambulance).
  • Prevents your phone from becoming a hand-warmer when in hotspot mode, even when sitting on a pile of couch pillows.
  • Allows you to go on a hike/drive taking your phone with while anyone (spouse/kids/guests) or anything (smart thermostat or alarm system) can still be connected while you and your phone is away.
  • Keeps your phone battery from draining or going dormant every 20 minutes and you need to re-activate the hotspot feature on your phone again.
  • Dedicated units like the Pep-wave typically have stronger wifi signals for more range around your Airstream over a phone's "personal hotspot" range.
Just my experience with using a phone vs a dedicated unit with externally mounted antennas.
-Squeegee
Squeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2023, 11:04 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Keller , Texas
Whatever you do, just make sure you work directly through a provider like AT&T, Verizon, etc. Like another person on this thread, I purchased a Pepwave router via MobileMustHave along with an AT&T SIM and plan from a reseller. After 18 months or so of trouble-free usage, the reseller quit offering the plan.

So, I went to my local AT&T store to get a new SIM. When I gave them the IMEI number from my Pepwave, they told me they couldn't do business with me (despite all of my phone and internet accounts with them) because my router had been blacklisted as a stolen item. I contacted MMH, who apparently had received LOTS of calls about this ... They still haven't gotten to the bottom of it all with AT&T yet, as far as I know. So, word to the wise!

I had to go with Verizon, which doesn't work nearly as well as AT&T in the areas we travel (NM, CO primarily), but I have few options at this point.
phoenix491 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 05:26 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2023 30' Classic
Maryville , Tennessee
So I took a picture of the imei tag on the router, went to T-Mobile, bought a 50 gig plan and got the sim, placed it in slot b, turned it on and it works great. My wife can stream Netflix on the tv and the internet works great. Thanks for the help!
Otto Slater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 09:07 AM   #16
Superannuated Member

2001 19' Bambi
Beaver Lake , Arkansas
AT&T is The Devil. Unhook from their network.
Aironius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2023, 09:30 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1976 27' Overlander
2021 30RB Classic
Lubbock , Texas
BreadNCircus, Oh my goodness. I am about ready to rip this Router out of my 2021 Airstream Classic. We are all AT&T'd up. Our router has been reconfigured at Airstream and sent back to us. Corey couldn't help from his desk. Everything works until we leave our driveway. I am not technical, but I can hang some mean wallpaper. I am going to find a techie kid in high school to help me. Maybe they can help me after reading your pos
onelisab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2023, 03:44 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2020 30' Classic
James Island , South Carolina
Following
Old 12-30-2023, 12:15 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2023 25' Globetrotter
2021 16' Bambi
Forest Lake , Minnesota
This had been a dormant thread, but it gives me the opportunity to rant about ATT and maybe give some relevant advice.

Start rant: In our 2023 GT I installed another brand of modem (MoFi-5G) and a compatible Pepwave 42G antenna, so similar setup as the AS Connect (but 5G). I thought as a many-year (>20) loyal ATT customer I could just waltz into my local ATT store, they'd worship me, and set me up. Wrong, I was there for 2 hours while they messed with my router and tried out several plans. In the end they couldn't get it working. Ok, maybe not their forte working with something that's not their equipment.

A month later a $300 charge shows up on my bill for service I never used or had. I go back to the store and they can't do anything - they have no authority to remove anything, just add stuff. In fact, they called up their help line and pretended to be me and begged them to do something. I think I got $100 off the bill eventually. That took over an hour. No practical advice here other than I did find out there's a $50/mo plan with a $30 access fee and you can't start and stop it (we only camp a few months out of the year). End of rant.

Maybe a tidbit of advice about plans: I ended up signing up for GoogleFi (actually T-Mobile). For sometimers like us I can stop and start it with no charges. It has 6GB for $35/mo. This isn't a lot but we have Starlink as our primary internet (which plugs into the WAN) and this is the failover when there's no Starlink (e.g., trees). You need to order a separate device SIM card (free). I inserted the card and it worked right away. We didn't use it a lot so I can't attest to their coverage (maybe more about that next camping season especially here in Minnesota with the trees).
JeffKim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2024, 11:36 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2023 25' Globetrotter
Ancient City , Florida
Trying to figure all this out with my ATT account. Store was zero help.

Dialed the 611 customer loyalty phone tree and actually got a super helpful person. She wasn’t up on netgear hotspots, but my phone line is apparently on a legacy unlimited plan with 50g hotspot that doesn’t get throttled. + cellular ipads. We don’t need connection for work.

I can get a netgear nighthawk 6pro with data card vs getting a netgear or WeBoost wireless repeater?

This is all greek to me, but trying to figure it out.
G8trwood is offline   Reply With Quote