Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2016, 03:39 PM   #1
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Anti-Theft Tracking - SPOT Trace - Sale 50% Off

I have just purchased and activated the SPOT Trace which provides theft-alert and tracking if the trailer is moved. I got mine from WM for CA$ 118 and I will receive a rebate of 50% with mail in form. There is a yearly fee for US$99.

It needs a clear view of the sky so I am thinking of putting it on the dome for the Fantastic Fan. The AAA lithium batteries will last for up to 24 months, but if the trailer is moved the tracking function is triggered by the movement and the unit will send tracking information every 5 minutes for between 9 and 24 days. You could also hook it up to a 5V source (micro USB) that is connected to the trailer battery for longer tracking times.

I have tested it and even a small movement will send an alert to my phone (via email or SMS.)
Click image for larger version

Name:	SPOT Trace.png
Views:	299
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	268841
Old 08-11-2016, 04:33 PM   #2
Displaced Beach Bum

2016 30' International
Texas Airstream Harbor , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to beachbouy
I am curious how many actually have some form of a tracker in their AS. I believe ours would be a bit difficult to steal with an ABUS 83/80-300 S2 Schlage 80mm Solid Steel Padlock with 1.5-Inch Shackle for the tow chains and a MegaHitch Lock Coupler Vault Pro.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
We drag Mitzi a 2016 International 30 w/Goodyear Endurance, Equalizer 1000, pulled by a 2018 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT 4x4, Crew Cab, 5.3L V8 ECOTEC3, 3.42 axle, 8 speed auto WBCCI #6111

beachbouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 04:39 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Do we know which cell provider it uses?
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2018 Nissan Armada SL Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 04:43 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Spot doesn't use cell technology. This is satellite hence the need for clear sight to sky.
Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 04:44 PM   #5
Displaced Beach Bum

2016 30' International
SPOT sends your GPS location and data to orbiting commercial satellites.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
We drag Mitzi a 2016 International 30 w/Goodyear Endurance, Equalizer 1000, pulled by a 2018 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT 4x4, Crew Cab, 5.3L V8 ECOTEC3, 3.42 axle, 8 speed auto WBCCI #6111

Old 08-11-2016, 04:48 PM   #6
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCStreamer View Post
Do we know which cell provider it uses?
It doesn't use cell coverage, but rather it sends GPS coordinates directly to the Globalstar satellite network. The text or email that you receive that the trailer has been moved comes from the SPOT company (so you need to have your smart phone on and within cell range to receive the messages.)

You can log on to your account and follow the breadcrumb trail and report the location of the trailer in almost real time to the police.
Old 08-11-2016, 04:58 PM   #7
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Coupler Locks Don't Deter Professional Thieves

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbouy View Post
I am curious how many actually have some form of a tracker in their AS. I believe ours would be a bit difficult to steal with an ABUS 83/80-300 S2 Schlage 80mm Solid Steel Padlock with 1.5-Inch Shackle for the tow chains and a MegaHitch Lock Coupler Vault Pro.
An interesting thing with 'professional' thieves is that they don't bother hooking the coupler onto the ball - it takes too much time. They just use a chain wrapped around the A-frame and under the jack and then around a pintle hook on the back of their truck - similar to the way your safety chains would work if your TT became unhitched. They want to get away as quickly as possible and often don't even bother hooking up the lights and brakes until out of sight.

This is a good Australian video of the process (hence the use of caravan instead of trailer)

The coupler locks really only help to thwart an opportunistic thief not a professional. I have a coupler lock too, but want to be able to know if the trailer is moved and to track it's location so that it can hopefully be recovered by the police.
Old 08-11-2016, 05:33 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
I am going on my second year with the Trace. I love getting the daily text and email everyday at the same time telling me it is working properly when it is storage. I just put mine under the fan cover. It is weather proof.

They did add a server fee for $10 this year.
Rjpuckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 05:41 PM   #9
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rjpuckett View Post
I am going on my second year with the Trace. I love getting the daily text and email everyday at the same time telling me it is working properly when it is storage. I just put mine under the fan cover. It is weather proof.
Did you stay with the lithium batteries or use a 5v power source?
Old 08-11-2016, 05:56 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
1984 31' Sovereign
Kingwood , Texas
This is something I was looking at for my golf cart but should work well for the airstream too. It needs a 12v source. $3/ month

http://www.ajaxgolfcarttracker.com/

Dan
dcopps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 06:14 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Just thought I'd post this regarding the rebate.

"Rebate Payable in Canadian dollars for Canadian Residents. Not valid in the USA."
Old 08-11-2016, 06:41 PM   #12
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Quote:
Just thought I'd post this regarding the rebate.

"Rebate Payable in Canadian dollars for Canadian Residents. Not valid in the USA."
Interesting. Last year they were free with activation in USA. Maybe a new deal will come up soon.
Old 08-12-2016, 04:23 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure.AS View Post
Did you stay with the lithium batteries or use a 5v power source?
When I bought it I still had the Bambi and I tapped into the Fantastic Fan wiring. You have to buy the power cable to do this ($35?) but on the 2012 I just placed it under the cover without hooking to the trailer power.

You will start receiving messages about the batteries when they need to be replaced.

My batteries weren't lithium? It uses 4 AAA regular batteries.
Old 08-12-2016, 04:56 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
Sorry. I was thinking 'rechargeable' batteries. I see that is an option but I am not sure why we would want to go to that additional effort.
Old 08-12-2016, 06:49 AM   #15
Displaced Beach Bum

2016 30' International
I have done a little more homework on SPOT

These are reviews from owners.

1. SPOT Trace led me to believe that my boat would be safe using this device and their service. Truth is the day my $233,000 boat was stolen it didn't do a thing. Why? Because these SPOT Trace devices can be easilly found due to the fact that they emit an RF frequency to communicate with GPS satellites. Anyone can buy an RF detector here on Amazon that will tell a thief if your boat, motorcycle or car has one. They simply find the hidden device, turn the device off or remove the batteries and your car boat, truck, or motorcycle dissapears! When we told the police officer taking the report we had satellite tracking on the boat he said those are worthless. A thief who knows his trade will not let a tracking device like SPOT Trace get in his way. SPOT won't tell you this. They lead you to believe your vehicle is protected. That's not always the case. SPOT Trace is no deterent for a professional thief!

2. Its not that great. I threw it in my glove box with logo facing up just to test it. It tracked 2 points over 23 minutes and the points were not marked as being 5 minutes apart but between 6-7 minutes with large gaps for the missing points. The points matched up directly on the road though. Also, when sitting in plain sight on my dash it is unable to get a gps point in my garage with 2 windows, so it never looks like the car actually makes it home.

3. If the unit loses power it DOES NOT automatically turn back on and continue tracking when power is restored. Therefore, this unit is dependent on AAA batteries which means don't put too much effort into a concealed install since you'll have to replace them eventually even if hardwired.

4. If hard wired or USB powered then you have the wonderful parasitic drain...

I'll pass...

Old 08-12-2016, 10:08 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Where would you install this on an Airstream, assuming you will use batteries? Can this be installed under the AC cover?
Old 08-12-2016, 06:21 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' International
Currently Looking...
San Francisco , California
If you have an old Android phone that still has a data connection you can use any one of the 'Anchor Watch' apps to send you a TXT message if the phone moves more than (you set it) meters from the set point.

I'm using a $10/month t-mobile plan on an old tablet.
Old 08-12-2016, 06:46 PM   #18
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Quote:
Where would you install this on an Airstream, assuming you will use batteries? Can this be installed under the AC cover?
I have mine installed inside the trailer, in the skylight. As it is waterproof, it could be installed under the AC cover. It comes with a mounting bracket that could be fastened anywhere on the roof with 3M tape (which also comes with the unit.)
Old 08-12-2016, 06:51 PM   #19
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by SagaCapt View Post
If you have an old Android phone that still has a data connection you can use any one of the 'Anchor Watch' apps to send you a TXT message if the phone moves more than (you set it) meters from the set point.

I'm using a $10/month t-mobile plan on an old tablet.
That is a good use of the old phone/tablet, however the SPOT Trace is less expensive ($99 per year) and will work even out of cell phone range as it communicates via satellite. The cell phone would still need a clear view of the sky in order to get a GPS fix.
Old 08-12-2016, 07:00 PM   #20
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Sample of Trace

I took my trailer to a weigh scale today and the SPOT Trace created this track with a waypoint every 2.5 minutes.

Click image for larger version

Name:	SPOT Trace Tracking.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	268913