Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-12-2016, 07:37 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure.AS View Post
I have mine installed inside the trailer, in the skylight. As it is waterproof, it could be installed under the AC cover. It comes with a mounting bracket that could be fastened anywhere on the roof with 3M tape (which also comes with the unit.)
I was hoping inside the AC cover would be a good spot. It hides it but keeps it up there. Changing the batteries every so often would be the only downside, but I think it's manageable.

I've added this to my "to do" gadget list. I like it.
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2018 Nissan Armada SL Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 01:59 PM   #22
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Peace of Mind

I like getting the daily email with the GPS coordinates from the SPOT Trace every day at the same time advising me that the unit is functioning OK.

Click image for larger version

Name:	SPOT - Functioning Properly.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	269328

I have set up the messaging for an Movement Alert to my email includes the VIN, description, licence plate and WBCCI number so that details can be reported accurately to the police if needed.
Old 08-17-2016, 02:11 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
Montreal , Quebec
This is the service I use on my truck and my Airstream. It is nice to know where your trailer is once it is stolen but better yet when it is never stolen to start with.
This is a Canadian company but I am sure a similar service exist in the US.

http://tagtracking.ca/en/our-system/
Papa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 04:12 PM   #24
.-. -...

2017 25' International
SPOT Trace - Responds to Thunder Storm

The SPOT Trace must use an accelerometer to trigger a "Movement Alert" as I just received an alert as the trailer was being buffeted by strong winds when a thunder storm was moving overhead.

Name:	IMG_6184.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	206.9 KB
ID:	269967
Old 10-18-2016, 06:57 AM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Florence , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbouy View Post
These are reviews from owners.

1. SPOT Trace led me to believe that my boat would be safe using this device and their service. Truth is the day my $233,000 boat was stolen it didn't do a thing. Why? Because these SPOT Trace devices can be easilly found due to the fact that they emit an RF frequency to communicate with GPS satellites. Anyone can buy an RF detector here on Amazon that will tell a thief if your boat, motorcycle or car has one. They simply find the hidden device, turn the device off or remove the batteries and your car boat, truck, or motorcycle dissapears! When we told the police officer taking the report we had satellite tracking on the boat he said those are worthless. A thief who knows his trade will not let a tracking device like SPOT Trace get in his way. SPOT won't tell you this. They lead you to believe your vehicle is protected. That's not always the case. SPOT Trace is no deterent for a professional thief!

2. Its not that great. I threw it in my glove box with logo facing up just to test it. It tracked 2 points over 23 minutes and the points were not marked as being 5 minutes apart but between 6-7 minutes with large gaps for the missing points. The points matched up directly on the road though. Also, when sitting in plain sight on my dash it is unable to get a gps point in my garage with 2 windows, so it never looks like the car actually makes it home.

3. If the unit loses power it DOES NOT automatically turn back on and continue tracking when power is restored. Therefore, this unit is dependent on AAA batteries which means don't put too much effort into a concealed install since you'll have to replace them eventually even if hardwired.

4. If hard wired or USB powered then you have the wonderful parasitic drain...

I'll pass...
#1 is a bit different since the plan would be to somewhat conceal it inside the AS. I would expect an AS thief would try and take the whole trailer first before breaking in to the trailer to look inside. So you'd already know the thing was being taken and where before they attempted to disable it.

#2 is ridiculous. It needs a clear view of the sky, which buried in the glove box is not. Unlike the cell-based trackers which can still receive GPS even when buried in a glove box or under the dash, the SPOT units must transmit out to satellites, thus a much lower tolerance for obstacles.

#3 this sounds legit, wonder if it would run off the AAA's and USB combined and give preference to USB

#4 this is the worst and most ridiculous objection yet. The power draw on this unit is going to be tiny - 24 months on 3 AAA's. If this is your biggest concern for your 2x deep cycle batteries...
joshjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 10:23 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Oak Creek , Colorado
If it is anything like the GPS I got for my dogs collar it will be worthless.
Dingo Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 06:25 AM   #27
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Florence , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingo Girl View Post
If it is anything like the GPS I got for my dogs collar it will be worthless.
Which one did you get? Because some of those collars require them to be in range of a handheld tracker; or in range of a unit inside your house; or some of them are just cellular and not satellite so if you are out in a remote area you will get zero tracking.
Old 10-19-2016, 07:40 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Oak Creek , Colorado
I tried 2 different trackers. Neither were accurate at all. Most times it would not even pick up the collar on the app.
Not in the wilderness in my front yard it would not work.
I have up on them all together
Dingo Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 10:29 AM   #29
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Florence , Alabama
So here's a thought, the lid to the propane tank cover is plastic and should have a clear skyview especially when going down the road. It's also right next to the battery compartment. I'm considering a SPOT Trace and using a 12V to USB hardwire cable mounted under the cover. Since I keep the propane cover locked anyway this becomes a non-obvious place to keep it, but still easy to get to to check, etc. NO worries about the metal blocking the skyview.
Old 10-20-2016, 10:39 AM   #30
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjack View Post
So here's a thought, the lid to the propane tank cover is plastic and should have a clear skyview especially when going down the road. It's also right next to the battery compartment. I'm considering a SPOT Trace and using a 12V to USB hardwire cable mounted under the cover. Since I keep the propane cover locked anyway this becomes a non-obvious place to keep it, but still easy to get to to check, etc. NO worries about the metal blocking the skyview.
Good idea. I have mine mounted in the roof skylight and it works well, but I will be interested to find out from your experience if you use this install location.
Old 10-29-2016, 09:19 AM   #31
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Florence , Alabama
So I mounted it to the propane tank brace facing up. I mounted it by drilling and tapping two screw holes and using loctite. I put a piece of double sided tape between the plastic and metal.

I was about to string together a converter and USB cable when I found SPOT actually sells a waterproof cable with a voltage converter built in. Once that comes in I'll attach it and tie the cable out of the way.

I've already tested it and it has a clear view of the sky and transmits movement alerts immediately.
Old 10-29-2016, 09:20 AM   #32
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Florence , Alabama

Name:	IMG_3946.JPG
Views:	156
Size:	807.8 KB
ID:	274449
Old 10-29-2016, 09:44 AM   #33
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Quote:
So I mounted it to the propane tank brace facing up. I mounted it by drilling and tapping two screw holes and using loctite. I put a piece of double sided tape between the plastic and metal.

I was about to string together a converter and USB cable when I found SPOT actually sells a waterproof cable with a voltage converter built in. Once that comes in I'll attach it and tie the cable out of the way.

I've already tested it and it has a clear view of the sky and transmits movement alerts immediately.
Excellent location. I will likely move mine in the spring.
Old 10-30-2016, 03:22 AM   #34
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
I also thought about using that location but I couldn't get passed the concern of being so close to the propane fumes. Probably not a real issue but being in the semi-enclosed space has me spooked.
Rjpuckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 05:56 AM   #35
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Florence , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rjpuckett View Post
I also thought about using that location but I couldn't get passed the concern of being so close to the propane fumes. Probably not a real issue but being in the semi-enclosed space has me spooked.

The GPS device is completely sealed. And it's probably solid state anyway meaning no sparks.
Old 10-30-2016, 06:13 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
I use a SF-TXDPS plan. It's a simple system and requires no batteries.
It's called "State Farm".
If my Airstream is stolen, I report it to the Texas Dept of Public Safety/law enforcement. State Farm then confirms the theft and compensates me for the loss.

I really don't care to spend my time incessantly worrying about it, nor do I care to own a previously-stolen/abused trailer.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 07:00 AM   #37
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Florence , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxite View Post
I use a SF-TXDPS plan. It's a simple system and requires no batteries.
It's called "State Farm".
If my Airstream is stolen, I report it to the Texas Dept of Public Safety/law enforcement. State Farm then confirms the theft and compensates me for the loss.

I really don't care to spend my time incessantly worrying about it, nor do I care to own a previously-stolen/abused trailer.

I have the same policy. But I also would like the opportunity to stop someone in their tracks.
Old 10-31-2016, 08:14 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Quote:
I have the same policy. But I also would like the opportunity to stop someone in their tracks.
That is my intended point (and the point of most other posts in this thread),...namely that a lock or device will not prevent a determined theft.
My brother owns a safe and changed the combination from the factory setting. The locksmith who sold it to him pointed out that it takes him the same amount of time (about 15 minutes) to open that safe ...regardless of whether it retained it's original combination or not. ... The change was only a placebo for my brother.
He suggested a good alarm and video system, if anything.

I've noticed that many worriers have their AS's stored in questionable circumstances (giving them plenty of reason to worry, perhaps.)

The best prevention is likely a well-lit, easily observed storage-place that does not provide easy entry/exit to unauthorized persons. The most likely thief is the person who appears "authorized".

Store it sensibly. Carry Insurance. Call professional thief-handlers: Law Enforcement. IMO
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 06:37 PM   #39
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Florence , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxite View Post
That is my intended point (and the point of most other posts in this thread),...namely that a lock or device will not prevent a determined theft.

My brother owns a safe and changed the combination from the factory setting. The locksmith who sold it to him pointed out that it takes him the same amount of time (about 15 minutes) to open that safe ...regardless of whether it retained it's original combination or not. ... The change was only a placebo for my brother.

He suggested a good alarm and video system, if anything.

I've noticed that many worriers have their AS's stored in questionable circumstances (giving them plenty of reason to worry, perhaps.)

The best prevention is likely a well-lit, easily observed storage-place that does not provide easy entry/exit to unauthorized persons. The most likely thief is the person who appears "authorized".

Store it sensibly. Carry Insurance. Call professional thief-handlers: Law Enforcement. IMO

I have all of those things. But if I got an alert from this tracker I could be there in under 10 minutes. No reason to just lay over and take it if I could call 911 and tell them where the camper is heading.
Old 11-04-2016, 07:11 AM   #40
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Florence , Alabama
So we're headed out on our maiden voyage and the SPOT Trace is working flawlessly. I'm getting email notifications and the app works great.

I got the authentic SPOT waterproof DC cable, crimped & soldered some ring terminals on it, attached to the battery, and tied everything neatly out of the way. The cable takes 8-20VDC, and has a fuse built in. It's also really tiny gauge wire, so a major short would just burn the wire in half before doing any real damage.