Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-08-2021, 09:35 AM   #1
Boba911

2018 19' Tommy Bahama
Warwick , Rhode Island
Adding a second solar panel to the existing one

I have a 2015 23D ft Flying Cloud with a factory solar package installed. I believe that the inverter is 1000w. The panel is only about 80w i am guessing. I would like to add an additional panel to provide better charging to the battery system. My options are to add an additional panel (100w or so) to the roof panel that exist today. Do I do this just by a Y connector to connect the 2 panels together? As a second option I could purchase 100w sutecase panel set and connect this to the battery with it's own controler? I like this option the best because I can position the panels more to the direction of the sun. Is there anything else I need to do or consider for either option and which solution is the best?
Boba911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 10:00 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1994 21' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Knoxville , Tennessee
Make sure you match up the specs on your new panel so that you don’t lose any efficiency. Mounted or portable is a tough decision. Since you have one on the roof now go with a portable so you can chase the sun when the other one is not in a good position. My 2 cents.
Khale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 06:45 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khale View Post
Make sure you match up the specs on your new panel so that you don’t lose any efficiency. Mounted or portable is a tough decision. Since you have one on the roof now go with a portable so you can chase the sun when the other one is not in a good position. My 2 cents.
My understanding is that the zamp connector on the trailer goes right to the batteries, putting the charge controller for the portable panel output in parallel with the existing charge controller. Doesn’t sound too efficient to me. Wouldn’t the controller that can provide the higher voltage dominate, with no contribution from the ‘other” controller?

It seems you want to have all your panels wired to the same controller.

Maybe someone with direct experience in how these controllers work can shed some light on this.
KK4YZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 08:45 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2020 19' Caravel
Ammon , Idaho
I cannot say for sure about your 2015, but current models have three ports on the roof mounted combiner box so no additional connector would be needed if you add a panel up there.

As for connecting a suitcase panel, I just bought one without a controller and intend to rewire the external port such that it connects to my solar charge controller in parallel with my roof mounted panels. It requires only a little effort and saves me some money by not duplicating a component (second controller). The idea of adding a portable panel to existing roof mounted panels, rather than another roof panel, seems a solid choice to maximize your ability to grab sunlight throughout the day.
OutdoorIdaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 09:06 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2020 19' Caravel
Ammon , Idaho
I should add that if connecting a portable panel like I described above, you need to verify the polarity of that panel prior to plugging it in.
OutdoorIdaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 08:08 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorIdaho View Post
I cannot say for sure about your 2015, but current models have three ports on the roof mounted combiner box so no additional connector would be needed if you add a panel up there.

As for connecting a suitcase panel, I just bought one without a controller and intend to rewire the external port such that it connects to my solar charge controller in parallel with my roof mounted panels. It requires only a little effort and saves me some money by not duplicating a component (second controller). The idea of adding a portable panel to existing roof mounted panels, rather than another roof panel, seems a solid choice to maximize your ability to grab sunlight throughout the day.
If connecting panels in parallel don’t you have to make sure they’re matched? You can connect in series as long as you don’t exceed the voltage rating of the controller.
KK4YZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 06:16 AM   #7
Boba911

2018 19' Tommy Bahama
Warwick , Rhode Island
Thanks everyone for the advice. On the 2015 FC factory solar system there is no combiner box on the roof. That is what I was looking for and it would make the process easy to add an additional panel to the roof. I most perfere to add a sute case panel because i can manage it to the sun. I have read that if you purchaase a suitcase unit, they usualy come with a controler. I was thinking I could just temp connect this to the battery and both controlers would work together? So now my question is that i have decided on a suitcase solar, what is the simplest way to connect it to the batteries without changing anything in the controler wiring of the trailer? Thanks of all the input from all!
Boba911 is offline   Reply With Quote