Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-25-2018, 02:50 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Classic
Cambridge , New York
The truck is fine. I'd just go with the adjustable gas shocks, so you can temper the ride depending on load; and get some stock 18" rims and either a "E" rated Michelin or Firestone Transforce tires. I have a Ram 3500 and, when loaded and hitched, it rides like a Texas Cadillac. BTW, we bought the '15 3500 because my wife thought my old 2001 Ram 2500 rode like a deuce-and-a-half. I guess it did...
Old 10-28-2018, 09:16 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
My own experience is that a 3/4 ton is optimum. I had a 1/2 ton for 4 years, then upgraded. The braking power, stopping distance, mountain behavior just do not compare. I can now drive all day without being exhausted. Yes, I need steps for my wife to get up into the 3/4, but the 3/4 is the right tool for the job.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 10:19 AM   #23
1 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 26
Bloomington , Indiana
I like your vehicle, but your fingers are in your ears.

Guys aren't intimidated by vehicle height and stature.. Were it me, I'd do pretty much what you've done with your diesel. If you're a short person, perhaps weighing under 150lbs, big trucks are intimidating. Think about what she's saying, and translate.

She'd like to drive. Your vehicle is probably tough to climb into, and feels like a throne, and it doesn't need to be. Think about it. It probably takes up a lot of driveway space, and she's also scared to drive it, because it's your big-assed honkin' diesel.

She wants something she can feel like she can handle, and doesn't stick out like a sore thumb in three dimensions. Listen to her if you love her. Get a shorter diesel, or something with reasonable and safe driving specs. Relationships are about giving and unlike government these days, capitulation with a smile.

Were it me, I'd have a six-speed manual dually with enough muscle to tow a barge. I have instead a F350 crew cab auto 2x4 and a seat she can adjust to see the mirrors and drive it herself, even if this is happens only very rarely. And she loves it. Buy-in is all-important. Saves future historical finger-pointing. Trust me on this.
hendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 11:24 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
What Vehicle to Tow With

Yup. Having a six or more way adjustable driver’s seat is required for my wife to drive our truck. You never know when that might be necessary in an emergency situation if the usual driver is incapacitated or something.

And since she has to approve the next truck, you can bet she will be the one that test drives it first. Besides, in our house, that is the best way to get her to help pay for it, like our first TV!

Happy wife means happy life!
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 12:03 PM   #25
Our "S" peeled off

2012 30' Classic
Topeka , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by kb0zke View Post
Welcome to the forum, Dan.

"If momma ain't happy ain't nobody happy." If she wants to spend the money to trade in a new truck for another new truck, go for it. Go to the dealership and price the new truck. While you are there, talk to the service people to see if it is possible to "undo" those aspects of your current truck without adversely affecting your towing ability. Find out how much that would cost. She may decide that that money would be better spent traveling.
I'm with kb0zke!
Airtream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 12:13 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Properly equipped f150 ecoboost would be a nicer riding truck
Kanusport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 01:09 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
Yup. Having a six or more way adjustable driver’s seat is required for my wife to drive our truck. You never know when that might be necessary in an emergency situation if the usual driver is incapacitated or something.

And since she has to approve the next truck, you can bet she will be the one that test drives it first. Besides, in our house, that is the best way to get her to help pay for it, like our first TV!

Happy wife means happy life!
Common Guys, what kind of wimpy males are you ?
In our house I pick the truck she picks the AS and the in house appliances.
She also picked the husband :-)
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 01:41 PM   #28
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Here at Casa Rocinante, the DW and I split driving roughly 50/50. I want her happy when we camp, especially while we've been full timing this year. So, if she didn't like the truck or the trailer, we wouldn't have either.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 01:54 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Ford Transit Van

2018 Ford Transit Van
High Roof
Extended
Dual Wheel Rear
3.2L I-5 Power Stroke® Turbo Diesel
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating: 10360 GVWR 350 HD
3.73 Limited Slip Axle Ratio
6-Speed Automatic Overdrive with SelectShift Transmission
Max. When Properly Equipped
Payload: 4,300 lbs Towing: 6,900 lbs

I think this is the perfect Towing Vehicle. Lines up in price with a new half tonne.
Kristof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 01:55 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Jacksonville , Florida
First off I'd never tow with that truck. ..........I'm a born and raised GM kid.

However my Chevy Z-71, 2500hd, with 20" rims tows a 30" Classic just fine. The Blue Ox hitch has "drop" adjustment for the higher bumper height. Truck would work she likely thinks climbing up to the cabin is bad.
Overstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 02:56 PM   #31
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
What Vehicle to Tow With

The payload looks attractive on that van, though the towing capacity would be borderline for our trailer.

Whoops, just noticed this is an “extended” van. I wouldn’t tow with that, regardless of numbers. It just feels like the distance from rear axle to bumper / receiver on the van would be too great.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 03:31 PM   #32
4 Rivet Member

2013 31' Classic
Crossville , Tennessee
possible answers to OP's wifes desires

A) to get the truck where it doesnt 'feel' so big, as has been previously suggested, get some smaller wheels and maybe tires on it. 16 or 17 inch wheels with 275 or 285 tires on it will be plenty of girth, yet lower the unsprung weight a great deal. This will affect the ride in a more pleasant way plus provide all the needed capacity.
B) Next, to bring the weight and height down more, at least two places provide air suspension for the rear of your vehicle. Kelderman can provide everything needed including installation, and Air Ride also makes an air suspension 4 link setup that is made for up to 1 ton trucks.
Both, when managed properly provide exceptionally 'soft' rides when unloaded and provide more than enough capability for a 30' Airstream with much excess capacity remaining.
C) After dropping the truck from nosebleed altitudes, a decent set of quality shocks, and an alignment will make your bride feel as if she is in a limousine and when hooked to your Airstream you will KNOW you have a great tow vehicle. All the above can be had for about 2 or 3 new truck payments!
Oh, I meant to say, I know this from experience!
steelbird312 WBCCI #6673 jerry Hodge
2013 31" Classic limited
Have no intention of arriving at the grave safely, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, throttle in the other, totally worn out and screaming
"WOO HOO, WHAT A RIDE!"
steelbird312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 04:43 PM   #33
1 Rivet Member

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Leland , North Carolina
Just got back from Canada where CanAm replaced the hitch on my 2014 Touareg (same body etc as Porsche Cayenne) turbo diesel and picked up my new 25rbt AS in N C drove it 150 miles in what Willa had left (torrential rain and fog) and could hardly tell it was there got 15 mpg up some medium graded but mainly flat terrain no problem keeping 65mph didn’t go any faster in the conditions. There are lots of tow vehicles capable as long as they’re professionally set up.
Good luck with your search
Hastalavista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 12:00 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklyfrank View Post
Common Guys, what kind of wimpy males are you ?

In our house I pick the truck she picks the AS and the in house appliances.

She also picked the husband :-)

Oh, just one happily married for over 47 years, four successful kids and 8 grandkids so far. Both of us pull down 6-figure salaries and have excellent careers in Registered Nursing and Computer Security/Engineering in a Hospital setting. Neither one of us has any problem finding more work than we can handle. We make major decisions together as a family.

And yes, I’m a darn good cook, and she designed several of our homes.

Just remember the old saying, “living well is the best revenge!”
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 01:57 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Anderson View Post
We own a 2018 Ram 4x4 3/4 ton diesel to tow our 30' International. It is a beautiful truck with more than enough power and ability. However, it has 20" tires, Bilstein shocks, is higher overall off the ground than a "standard" truck. My wife feels it is too "beefy" and would prefer a "normal" truck, meaning one riding lower with a more normal car feel.

Any suggestions.

Dan
My wife used to say the same thing. One drive through the mountains (east coast that is) convinced her and she was driving it like a professional. Now we have a diesel Ram and she hasn’t driven it yet but I know she’ll love it. “Beefy” is what a truck is supposed to be. It’s got heated and cooled seats, leather, and a sunroof just like a luxury car and satellite radio with great sound. When she says “do I have room to pass this semi?” and then gives it throttle, I’ll know I made the right choice.

I guess I’m old school. I pick the vehicles, do the maintenance and tow the trailer. (However, she selected her Harley). And she likes it that way. The best thing about being best friends is neither of us has to concede anything to have a “happy life”.
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 05:32 AM   #36
1 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Sacred Heart , Minnesota
I have a Silverado 1500 with max trailering option. I can tow up to 10,900 lbs (27FB) though I only tow ~6900lbs with full water tank. You could tow with a 1/2 ton Chevy or GMC, but I would get the max trailering option for the extra towing capacity and stronger leaf springs. Also, get the lower version of the running boards. They help my wife a lot.
Granitefines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 09:38 AM   #37

Henderson , Nevada
I disagree. Sadly the big 3 decided years ago that they needed to go with the big beefy look with their full size trucks. Or as I think of it, difficult to get into and you need a step ladder to access anything in the bed look!!
mkwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 11:02 AM   #38
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

When we went shopping for the latest truck the basic comparison was to a full sized (way back when that applied) Expedition. That was our family hauler for a *lot* of years. After driving them for a decade or two, trucks no longer were as intimidating.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 11:21 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
As you can see, there are lots of opinions here from all of "us experts"!
Having owned 4 AS's, and 4 tow vehicles, I would agree with some of these posts and stay with the larger 3/4T TV for that 30' AS you said you have. Not sure your situation in modifications to make it so "undesirable to drive", but the size is a good match for that size AS. Sure you can do it with a 1/2T Echoboost or 6.2L GM, but you will immediately appreciate the power, braking, and handling you now have with the bigger TV with the 30', over smaller size TV's. I certainly would not recommend any of the "sports SUV's" mentioned, no matter how they are modified...but that's just me (oh, and many others).

We love our F250 for towing...and 4x4 is recommended...you will be glad you have it when you need it...many "opinions" from us experts on that also vs 2wd... As for the size of your RAM, have you looked into retractable running boards? We have had them on both our F150 and now our King Ranch F250...wife loves them; they come down farther and make it easier to get in/out of the cab. (I have the 20" wheels and performance shocks also on my 4x4.)
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 01:10 PM   #40
1 Rivet Member

2017 19' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Hi,
We love our tundra 4x4. Hauling a Bambi so smaller than you but we checked into all the specs on lots of rigs and the Toyota is ruling!
gertntrudy is offline   Reply With Quote