Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2021, 09:06 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Western NC , North Carolina
Having been down this route there are in my experience two key factors but make sure you validate what applies in your case. one is do you own non commercial property still? if so that makes it harder to have that not be your state of residence.

Second is where you spend time, if you spend more than 6 months in a state they will want your money and some states it’s 90 days.

2019 Ford F-350 Platinum
JonDNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 01:36 PM   #22
1 Rivet Member

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Washington , Washington, D.C.
Health Insurance & Jury duty w/FTiming

We considered full-timing about a year ago. As I am not quite 65, have a private "BlueCross BS" insurance policy and take a specialty medication, our biggest problem was that I couldn't have a permanent address outside of NC, or even outside Wake County, as no other provider in the state had coverage for the medication. (We were going to "live" with my Mom.)

I suppose once you establish residency in SD you could buy insurance there...

Other thing I wondered is what would you do if you were called for Jury Duty, or heaven forbid, a Grand Jury that is 6 weeks required. Go live in SD for a while?

We ended up renting a year-round, designated site at the "Airstream" park -- Land Yacht Harbor in Melbourne, FL, for about $1,000 per year. If you have a utility connection, (a "trickle" account for a few bucks a month), you are automatically considered a resident. AND you can go there any time you like -- great community for some of the winter. (You can also park your trailer there as part of the lease if you want to travel sometime without the trailer.) NO dogs, no kids, nobody under 55 and retirees only, however. One other note -- when we needed to get vaccinated back in March, we could do it there with that proof of residency. Check the LYH website but you can also purchase a "share" from someone who already has one, ($5,000ish was the going rate last year), which gives you a cheaper lease and in most years, a dividend check. We have loved getting to know that community of Snow Birds....about half AS and half SOB's.
bevmills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 04:13 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

Box Elder , South Dakota
I use Americas Mailbox and have had zero issues with bank, credit card or IRS.
DebH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 04:25 PM   #24

2019 Basecamp
Morro Bay , California
Try UPS

Hi, when I was living on the road, I used a box at a UPS office. You get a real street address with the box number, and then they can easily forward your mail to you wherever you are.

Happy camping!
Kitrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 10:59 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Everywhere , Minnesota
I know of people who are, 'in the process of moving to another state, or already moved,' when summoned for jury duty, local and federal. They have been excused because they are moving or have just moved.
Old 06-21-2021, 07:04 AM   #26
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Around here, if you are in the hospital / out of the country and get called for jury duty, it's the same sort of thing. They give you an excuse and you don't have to come in. The gotcha is that you get "bumped" to a slot later in the year. You don't have to come in for the first "appointment", but there is now one 3 or 6 months down the. road you do have to come in for.

My *guess* is a summons for jury duty against your SD mailing address would work the same way. They would still expect you to *eventually* come in when asked. Fortunately you are mobile and there are things to do in SD.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 09:51 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

crestview , MI
We use MyRVMail in Crestview, Fl. Have had no issues at all. We were in the area for about a month getting our cars registered and new drivers licences so we ordered a bunch of stuff we needed online and had it all sent there. (even our new Sleep Number bed) Picked it up, no issues.

None of my clients, insurance, credit cards or banks have had any issues using that address. It looks like we live in an appartment. MyRVmail will scan my mail - I do this the most, forward and even deposit checks for me. We never stay anywhere more than a couple weeks so we don't have them forward often, I wait till theres a bunch of stuff and they will send it all together.

Hope that helps.
Cate
catesword is offline   Reply With Quote