Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-09-2009, 08:23 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
'Weekend' Airstream

Aluminitis - Obviously I'm nuts. I fulltime in a 25 footer, but I'm starting to find that the two and three day trips I enjoyed the first two years ago aren't happening as often as I'd like.

So I asked myself why? The answer is that the 25 footer is great for longer trips and fulltiming, but you can't park it in two standard spaces, and you have to find big gas stations (in my case diesel). I'd really like to have a tiny trailer - maybe even a teardrop - to take off Friday and come back Monday.

I really admire that tent camper - the Jumping Jack, but I want something hard sided. It's a lone woman thing.

Actually not sure I want a second Airstream - costy. Any thoughts? Casita's are nice.

Paula
Old 10-09-2009, 08:32 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Paula, I've had a similar "bug" for several years. The little weekender and the more complex larger trailers seem to fill different needs. We don't use our Gypsy for quick trips, weekends to Bennett Springs or a run to our daughter's place in KC, but we would use a small Casita type trailer. I'm constantly reading the regional want ads thinking that if one appears, I'll be really tempted to snatch it up. Not a silly idea at all, but one that will enable you to do more camping, both longer jaunts and bitsy ones. Go for it...we hope to also one of these days...~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 08:40 PM   #3
_

. , .
paula...

u r knot nutz...

but the meds need adjusting.

the big impediment to quickie week end trips is that you are full timing in ONE spot in the twofiver...

this leads to s p r e a d i n g o u t of the gear like in a real house,

so dashing OFF for a weekend means PACKING and STOWING stuff.

and disturbing the PREFECTLY set up home site.

any of the little single axles would be fine for short trips,

but also mean ANOTHER set of camping stuff/dishes/cook stuff, moving clothes and so on...

not to mention tires, axles, tanks, batteries and OTHER crap to maintain all over again.

i don't wanna CONVERT beds or dinettes even for short trips or maintain 2 hitches and rigging.

but the burro/casita t@bs and so on are pretty well equipped.

a tear drop means LOTS of living outdoors.

another idea is a SLIDE IN camper shell for the truck...

no towing, compact space, CANNOT carry much but it will go anywhere the truck will and park in ONE space...

and you could slide/unslide it at the home base.

or buy an old 20 foot argosy moho...

don't 4 get to take your pills...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 09:03 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 30' Flying Cloud
2008 23' International
Keremeos , British Columbia
I still love my 13-foot egg!

I knew there was a perfectly logical reason why I can't sell my little 13 foot Boler (Casita's were based on Bolers--adorable and perfect for weekend getaways). We sold our 14-foot fiberglass trailer when we bought the AS, but I still can't part with the original Boler, though people are constantly asking if it's for sale. I can't sell it mainly because of sentimentality, but now you've given me the perfect logical excuse! Thanks!

2017 30' FC | 2002 Chinook Destiny | 2008 23' Int. CCD (written off: hail!)
bolerama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 09:04 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Paula, you are talking about three items -- a tow vehicle, your home base and a weekend getaway. Short of a tent and thermarest, 2air's pickup camper idea is the easiest 2 vehicle solution that I see. Friends of ours did the Al-Can highway in a pickup camper -- mobile, simple, stop anywhere. You've seen 'em -- ya can leave 'em at a campsite without much difficulty; drive into town for dinner, go on a hike, etc.

Three vehicles? Fifth wheels can have a pull-behind in most states. I've seen 5th wheel Scamps. There is no chance you'd want to fulltime in one. But a 5th wheel would permit something like a Lees-ure Lite.

Okay, that's no solution. Other than stabilizing jacks, my grill, WD bars and the mat under the awning, I'm not sure much sits on the ground outside my 25-er when I set up camp. And once my gray tank is full I am ready to move on. Set up for departure a night or two before, arrange to mark your site 'occupied' when you leave your fulltime spot, put The Who "Goin' Mobile" on the iPod and get Oot and Aboot.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 09:23 PM   #6

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Paula,

We use Lucy for long trip (6-8 weeks, 10,000 miles) and for weekends (3-4 days, 500 miles). Both work for us, even after 500 nights and 50,000 miles. We like the Casita, but that really wouldn't be any easier than Lucy.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 10:07 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Here's a nicely made, Canadian number that's developing something of a following:

The Escape Trailer
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 06:13 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2018 Atlas
Orange Beach , Alabama
We started with a Casita 13. Then up to a Safari Sport 17. Now a Safari 23 (the 08 FB model). We traded the Sport for the Safari, but still have the Casita. I've posted elsewhere about why the Casita is still useful to us (think indestructable and mud-proof). But we have been talking about trading it for a slide-in camper for the truck. Otherwise the 23 is what we use for short, mid, and long-range trips. The Casita is there to get us back on our swampy turf, but not for anything else.
jdthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 06:55 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1966 30' Sovereign
1963 22' Safari
orlando , Florida
An easy & cheaper option is a truck camper shell with a back door. You would have the hard sides, & a locking door all about the same size as a teardrop.Make yourself comfortable back there with a good cot, lights ,radio & an ice chest.If would look good too if color coordinated with the truck.Since you already have a silverado,the camper shell would make it look like a suburban.You just might decide to leave it on permanently.
richie rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 07:04 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Right now, sitting in our driveway is our 2007 T@B (bought used last November, towed 8000 miles this summer, very much for sale) and our 1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre (bought in August, used three weekends, soon to be winterized, very much being kept for the long-term.)

When I bought the Minuet, I was worried that the added complexity would slow us down from weekend trips. It really didn't. Maybe part of it was that any trip requires some planning anyway. I also found that the "hassle" of waste tanks and weight distribution wasn't that bad. On the flip side, the added luxury of sheer SPACE over the T@B means we just can't go back. Plus, it actually tows better than the no-WD, surge-braked T@B.

The one limitation: we have to make the beds every night in the Minuet. That's a hassle. But moving to a 23' or 25' trailer with a fixed bed would mean a bigger tow vehicle (which I do not want or need as a daily driver, thanks to having a company car) and more bulk than our narrow 2500 lb lightweight. I'd rather make beds than insure and maintain a second tow vehicle...

But to be fair - the T@B is super simple. You can push it around the campsite - that's nice. Maintenance is almost nil. You just fill the five gallon fresh water tank, make sure the battery is up to charge, and that you have propane. Not much else to do.

Could the 25'er be towed by any Class B? That would be a nice weekend tripmobile...

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 07:33 PM   #11
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
We have the best of both worlds. I never did trade the VW Eurovan Weekender for the Toureg or Yukon if only for it's towing power. And it has been the best decision we've made.

We use the Euro for those occasions when we get together with our tent camping friends who like to go anywhere where there are not hook-ups. These are usually weekend gigs. The bed in the Euro is larger than the bed in our AS.

For the longer and more comfy trips with the Mrs. it's the 19 CCD.

I have to say, at this point if I had to sell one or the other, the AS would go first. For all that it has done, the Euro is the best. After that, I'd toy with the idea of some sort of top of the line pop-up, if there is such a thing.

Jonathan
Old 10-11-2009, 07:53 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazylev View Post
After that, I'd toy with the idea of some sort of top of the line pop-up, if there is such a thing.
The Quicksilver is the opposite of "accessorize." It is minimalist and might take one back to the ice cooler stage -- but very interesting if I wanted to simplify. I've seen it with an air conditioner option above the floor to the right of the door.

Though I have yet to see a popup push-out bed that sleeps warm in cool conditions.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

Old 10-11-2009, 09:15 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanoeStream View Post
The Quicksilver is the opposite of "accessorize." It is minimalist and might take one back to the ice cooler stage -- but very interesting if I wanted to simplify. I've seen it with an air conditioner option above the floor to the right of the door.

Though I have yet to see a popup push-out bed that sleeps warm in cool conditions.
What do you think of the A-Line campers?

Paula
Old 10-12-2009, 07:30 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
Aluminitis - Obviously I'm nuts. I fulltime in a 25 footer, but I'm starting to find that the two and three day trips I enjoyed the first two years ago aren't happening as often as I'd like.

So I asked myself why? The answer is that the 25 footer is great for longer trips and fulltiming, but you can't park it in two standard spaces, and you have to find big gas stations (in my case diesel). I'd really like to have a tiny trailer - maybe even a teardrop - to take off Friday and come back Monday.

I really admire that tent camper - the Jumping Jack, but I want something hard sided. It's a lone woman thing.

Actually not sure I want a second Airstream - costy. Any thoughts? Casita's are nice.

Paula
I was just thinking about this... I truly pine to FT in my Silver Olive. But I wondered how quickly you make it into a home - one that is more stationary than mobile. I would hate to give up my camping trips. But I imagine all the everyday stuff accumulates and breaking down for a quick trip out would be more difficult. I know that for me to FT, I'd end up with more *accessories* that would surely require either removal from the TT (to reduce the load on my TV) and some creative storage (to keep it safe during travel).

I know that FT to some means being constantly on the move, but for me, it would more likely be more stationary....

I have been thinking about a teardrop or casita just to haul my dogs around - kind of a mobile kennel. That is, in the cooler months... I'm going to keep watching this thread to see what other ideas are offered!

laura
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 07:51 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
What do you think of the A-Line campers.
I don't know much about them. Ran into a couple in Glacier this fall. They liked theirs -- they hadn't RV'ed before but enjoyed getting out. I've gotten too accustomed to having at least a toilet in the trailer.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

Old 10-12-2009, 08:25 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1951 21' Flying Cloud
Western , Kentucky
I personally have a teardrop as well as the Flying Cloud and I love it. There are internet forums for building your own as well as very informal chapters across the country that have regular "gatherings". We were in ours for 10 days this summer on a trip out to the Black Hills. Fortunately the weather was great. I do have to admit that a lot of rain can make a teardrop pretty uncomfortable.
Old 10-12-2009, 08:45 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanoeStream View Post
I've gotten too accustomed to having at least a toilet in the trailer.
The bigger models have a bathroom inside - you fold up the walls. We looked at Aliners and Chalets before buying the T@B. Cuteness won out, and we got the teardrop, but the hard-sided A-frames have their appeal (and a hell of a lot more headroom.)

Supposedly all Chalets after 2005 have composite floors that won't rot, a rather nice idea that I wish other manufacturers (hint hint) would imitate.

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 09:06 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1997 28' Excella
Eden , Utah
Short trips

I find for that my Western Wilderness Camper is perfect for those short trips. I can go off road without worrying about beating my 28 footer on those wash board roads. I tow my jeep behind to use for short excursions and have a back up vehicle if I have a break down. The camper is fully self contained and I could stay a month without much discomfort, but its really nice when I break out the 28 footer and have that extra room, its like taking a room from Hilton with me.

Hank
HankO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 02:30 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
More compact than an Airstream and you don't have to worry about another vehicle or gasoline prices.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	camperbikeride1.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	196.4 KB
ID:	89019  

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 06:19 AM   #20
Iwannagocamping

1979 31' Sovereign
Rineyville , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested View Post
More compact than an Airstream and you don't have to worry about another vehicle or gasoline prices.

Talk about having to gear down for the climbs..

Just the photos.. (sometimes you don't need the blog, just a picture worth a thousand words..)

1979 Sovereign International
2004 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer
2 Golden Retrievers

Air #36788
TAC#3179
WBCCI #1265
Dakota's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote