Old 07-12-2020, 06:56 AM   #1

Owensboro , Alabama
Wanting advice for travel nursing and rving full time

I'm in school for nursing and I'm seeking adventure in my life; Ive become interested in travel nursing with an rv as my primary housing. I plan on saving for my rv and the vehicle i plan on using.

Ive fallen in love with the airstrems; and figure the caravel will be best for me. I'm wondering if traveling with a toyota tacoma is a good idea. The tacoma is my favorite truck; I love the size, look, and I genuinely trust the company and vehicle. However, I don't know if the truck is best for an Airstream Caravel. What trailers are best for the Tacoma's size and capabilities?

On the flip; what trucks would be best for the Air Stream caravel? I geuss I don't want to be honking around some big old truck. Midsize truck or even an suv is okay to me.

To end this; I understand that Rving comes with sacrifices, this is proof enough. I am still learning and new to this. Any advice from being a woman on the road, travel nursing, or handleing is much appreciated. I plan on getting a dog and carry on license for safety in the future; I mention this because I am a woman and understand doing this alone comes with certain dangers.

Chieffaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 08:43 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Lots of RN’s do travel about on a whim. I worked for years in Yellowstone and the RN’s at the Lake Clinic were all “medical vagabonds” as the clinic is only open May - October. Many of them had travel trailers.

My mail forwarding company, St Brendan’s Isle, started specifically to handle the mail, car registration and residency for traveling nurses...

As to your question — while you are in school, it is great to dream and scheme but I would not buy a tow vehicle now in anticipation of an Airstream later. Things change, you may find you want a larger or different trailer by the time you graduate. You may get a great offer for overseas or offshore employment. You may simply find a remarkable partner and now you need to plan together.

When you graduate, then start shopping. There are many vehicles that will safely and efficiently tow a Caravel. On this Forum, you will find many vocal and strident supporters of the “giant diesel truck” as the only appropriate choice. Sometimes it is. However, lots of folks are happily towing their trailers with smaller vehicles that are less expensive, safe and much more useful once you have arrived at your next hospital or clinic gig. I suggest you spend some time on the website of CanAm RV. Lots of articles and videos about towing.

I think the best time to shop is in the Fall. Some folks are just done with camping and are ready to sell. Some want to go bigger/smaller/newer and if the sell in the Fall, they avoid another winter’s storage and prep.

With some luck, you may even trip onto someone who is selling the whole rig — trailer and tow vehicle together. Often, the rig is fully equipped and ready to go with all the doo-dads (hoses, power cords, bbq’s...)

Read the Forums (but don’t obsess), maybe get an Airstream brochure or two. If there is an Airstream event near you, go visit and ask questions of actual owners.

Good luck.

Dismissive cat
n2916s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 01:58 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Wenatchee , Washington
Wanting advice for travel nursing and rving full time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chieffaith View Post
... Any advice from being a woman on the road, travel nursing, or handleing is much appreciated. I plan on getting a dog and carry on license for safety in the future; I mention this because I am a woman and understand doing this alone comes with certain dangers.

While I am not a woman, I am a retired LEO that raised two daughters. I think your plans are reasonable and while life is still more dangerous for single women than it should be, I don’t see how living in a travel trailer would be more dangerous than living in an apartment complex.

Just stay in “Condition Yellow” as we used to say, which means being aware of what’s going on around you (as opposed to Condition White which is basically sleepwalking. It is amazing how many people walk around staring at their smartphones.)

If you carry a firearm (which I think is a good idea) be sure and get training for how (if you don’t already know) and when to use it. Like any other right, it comes with responsibility.

A dog is the best alarm system there is, as long as you’re able to care for it (i.e. return to your trailer to let it out on your break as twelve hours is a long time to hold it).

Our local hospital has RV sites but I don’t know if they’re available for staff (although that would sure be a win-win).

All the best!
WBCCI #7180
21Airstream is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 08:27 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Thousand Oaks , California
My wife is a travel nurse. She works 6 months and takes the rest of the year off. Let me know if you have any specific questions and I’ll pass them along to her. Also, are you on the Facebook group? Adventures in rv travel nursing and travel nursing newbies

She likes hanging out on those groups and reading about people’s experiences at different hospitals.

Follow our adventures!
@airstreamvagabond on Instagram and YouTube
BigSxyWhtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 12:22 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
laguna beach , California
I was on this forum for a couple of years before I purchased my Airstream. Couldn’t be happier. I agree with above, firearm is great if you have adequate training. The NRA has a program specifically for women called “Refuse to be a victim”. They teach you situational awareness, basic self defense and if you choose, firearms training. It’s free and classes can be found on the website. Living in a trailer is a life changer, can be awesome. Best of luck
sparkymark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 12:52 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1983 34' Excella
Greenwood , Indiana
Ft. Travel RN in a 34' triax

First you'll need to grad. Then get 2 yrs experience before start travel.. plenty of time to see how you like it. Your sites are limited so I dont take some assignments. It's not cheaper than living in a airbnb, but you do have your own bed. I still now and then...ie right now... park the AS and stay in a airbnb due to a contract with no spots that are reasonable. Just some of the pitfalls. Dm if have any questions.

Josh
86 excella 34'
Jmptravelrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 08:23 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
There’s a lot of good advice here. When the right time comes for you to look for a tow vehicle consider how much gear you need to load into your truck or suv. it’s a common mistake (I made it too) to focus on rated towing capacity alone. Most people overlook the payload capacity they will need. The trailer hitch weight counts against payload.

There are indeed many vehicles that can tow a Caravelle. The Tacoma is a great truck. just do your homework, now in nursing school and later as you start your adventure 😀

KK4YZ is offline   Reply With Quote