Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Full-Timing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-17-2007, 09:24 PM   #1

Saint Paul , Minnesota
Lightbulb Want to Buy an Airstream and Live on the Land!

Hey everyone
I am completely new here. I am a 27 male, that is not really ready to settle down in a house yet. I live in an apartment in Saint Paul, MN.

I love making money online, and I'd love to do it full time.

I also love airstreams, although I've never seen one up close or inside.

I love the city life, yet I also love the thought of living in an airstream on a beautiful plot of land, with some solar panels hooked up and the night sky above me.

I realize that living full time in one might be an issue up here in MN?

I currently pay 675 in rent and have a 800 square foot apt, but only use a tiny part of it. I'd rather be in my little airstream somewhere.

So, how feasable is this fantasy life that I dream of? If I did buy one this fall, and lived in it in the winter, where would I park it? Do people allow you to park an airstream on their land if you pay rent?

Could I park it in a trailer park? (I'd not like that, but I'd do it if needed)

I am completely naive to this, and I'd appreciate your feedback. I respect your wonderful hobby.
momo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 09:27 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Love your dream! And welcome to the forums. I do think you would be a might cold and cramped during the winter up North, otherwise during moderate temperatures you would probably love it finding the perfect location and all. Airstreams are great for travel. If you want to season somewhere perhaps a thermal insulated unit with slide outs would be more of that home you may be seeking.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 09:35 PM   #3

Saint Paul , Minnesota
Oops looks like I gave myself a thumbs down. I didn't really look at that icon.

What do you mean by a thermal insulated unit? Can I get an old one for under 10k that could do this? What are slide outs?
momo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 09:36 PM   #4
_

. , .
hi momo3 and welcome to the forums....

others have asked YOUR question, like here....

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f314...ity-26143.html

as for winter living in minnytoeta....

start reading the many winter threads...

here is my favorite and harsh with clarity...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f462...ving-2738.html

like taking a cold shower

cheers
2air'

this might be better suited to the location and an a/s could fit inside too!

Quonset hut - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Steel Buildings By Powerbilt Steel Buildings

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 09:41 PM   #5
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by momo3

What do you mean by a thermal insulated unit? Can I get an old one for under 10k that could do this? What are slide outs?

No prob - downward thumb is toast.

The Airstream part sounds good, fulltiming in lutefisk land may be a challange. Would you consider doing it in a warmer place?

Welcome to the forum.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 09:42 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by momo3

I know some trailers and 5th wheels have thermal windows and extra r value insulation in the walls and floors and are built to keep you toasty or cool in extremes such as Arctic Fox and Big Foot manufacturers of RVs. A slide out is a section of living space such that travels pushed in while traveling and extends out to nearly double your living space when set up, usually a dinette area or couch and dinette or wardrobe and bedroom area.

I am sure you could find used units on their forums as well as used units here of Airstreams.

I bet you would enjoy a couple of nice RV ers manuals and books and they usually tell you all you need to know even on how to find the right unit for you and purchase one. Good Luck! And there is plenty of information and people here to help. You've found yourself a great community.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 09:55 PM   #7
_

. , .
oh and there is an a/s only park not far from you to the northwest...

Minnesota Airstream Park

it's not open year round and too far 2 commute,

but might be a place to visit and look at a few trailers....

they often have 1-2 for sale and time shares too.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 10:39 PM   #8

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

Your dream is not that far fetched. If you can make your career on the internet, you can make it work. We actually have the internet down south where you can spend the winter, and then go back and stay in St. Paul when it is more Airstream friendly.

Best of luck in your endeavor.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 08:19 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1959 22' Flying Cloud
1972 25' Tradewind
1962 30' Sovereign
Navarre , Florida
Look into places like Top of GA. It's $7.00 a night or $180 a month to park there with your Airstream. That includes everything to hook up, and has free wifi. Not sure on staying year round, but worth a look.
Watch your habits, they become your character.
Watch your character, it becomes your destiny.
apolaroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 09:04 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
Smith lake , Alabama
We are thinking of full timing next year. We are not sure whether to sell the lake house we own or just close it up. We own a 2006 23 which is way to small to live in for us. It is also not the best insulated RV that is for sure. In full sun hot weather, it still gets in the low 80's inside during the day. I don't even want to think about the winter in MN. It is great for traveling but limited to live in unless you travel when the weather changes. We are thinking of upgrading to a diesel and getting a 5th wheel to live in, we are looking at a cameo. We enjoyed our AS so much we want to be on the road more, maybe move it around 2-4 times a year. We would keep the airstream for long trips, i wouldn't want to haul that big clunker around the country that is for sure. I'd rather pay the 675 unless you want to travel when the weather gets bad where you are. JMO
mrchinup1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 06:37 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Hey Momo3...

You have a great dream and your age is to your advantage...I wish I'd started thinking about such a life at your age! If you can make your living and not have to be in any given place, why not do it while you're traveling?... Plenty of folks do it...here's a thread about just that: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f48/...eam-35802.html What an exciting way to live your life...and you can always buy a house later!

The winters up north are brutal as you know, and winter camping is difficult at best...but there is plenty of warmth in the south and southwest...and vice versa in the summer...too hot in the desert and just right in the north...

Poke around in the subforums for topics that you might be interested in learning more about and don't be afraid to ask questions if you can't find info the want... There's a search function, too, where you can locate threads containing buzz words...

Glad you could join us and good luck with your dream..and let know how it's developing...
TB
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 07:28 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

Send a message via MSN to gotair Send a message via Yahoo to gotair
a little is enough

Tell me how to make a living on the internet and I'll tell you how to live in an airstream full time...
Old 10-01-2007, 12:43 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Currently Camping , Pennsylvania
Hey Momo3,

I'm 24 and working toward the same thing, so maybe some of my experience thus far will help. My move-in goal is this coming spring; that allows me time to upgrade the AS and avoid winter problems this year.

If campgrounds there close for the winter (they do here), check out mobile home parks.

I got a lot of ideas and learned the most from reading through the full monty threads here. You see what other people improve and what factors they are considering, and can apply those to your situation.

It takes some looking and fast negotiations, but you can get an inexpensive older AS. Mine was way under $10k and is in decent shape. I found it on Craigslist. I'm putting the money I saved into rebuilding it.

The hardest part for me was finding a good way to make money mobilely (mobily..?), and if you got that covered, then wow! Ahead of me there..

Would love to hear your progress if you decide to tackle it. Best of luck!
BrockLives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 11:33 AM   #14
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Poway , California
Since you make money online, and would love to do that full time, that's a portable skill - take it with you. I live in arizona (a little too warm in summer) but in winter, we have what are called "Snowbirds"... people who winter here and go back to whereever it is they came from (usually a cold state) when it begins to warm up. You can travel all over if you make your money online. I'd procure a backup generator for those not-so-sunny days so you have electricity though no matter where you are. Even ever-sunny Arizona has foul weather from time to time.
2Air pointed you to some really great forums for fulltiming, the winter forum is especially good if you're going to stay in a cold state.
I say GO FOR IT!
Just do all your research in advance and that way you can shop wisely and be well prepared.
:-)
Old 02-14-2008, 11:03 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member

2008 19' International CCD
San Diego , California
Momo,
Couple of things you might want to consider on the less positive side. First, pulling a trailer or driving an RV around oddly enough rarely enables one to park off the side of the road and live freely. There are some BLM lands in the west you can drive off onto and park for free or a greatly reduced price, which is great with a capital G, but many places don't really appreciate a herd of RV's hanging out. The other option most people go for is in an RV park, and those aren't exactly on the cheap side. Well, at least I don't consider them cheap. Of course, you can find the exception occasionally. I lived in an RV in Southern California for the better part of a year and found that life in RV parks is just a little close. Physically close. Parking six to ten feet from the next guy isn't uncommon. Privacy becomes an issue. For those of us enjoying the wide open spaces, that isn't exactly what the doctor ordered. You will have to get used to moving occasionally to freguently depending on the park's policies. Being a military retiree, their parks frequently have a limit on how long you can stay in them before moving on.
On the more positive side, I've seen some wonderful sights and lived in some great places, if only for a while. Picking an Airstream for full timing is a wise choice, given they usually have 2 1/2 inches of insulation. The Winnebago I used to have had an inch of insulation, if that, and is not a good choice for full time living. Keep reading and doing your research, and you will come up with the right choice!
rss_ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 10:55 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Poway , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by rss_ty
Momo,
Couple of things you might want to consider on the less positive side. First, pulling a trailer or driving an RV around oddly enough rarely enables one to park off the side of the road and live freely. There are some BLM lands in the west you can drive off onto and park for free or a greatly reduced price, which is great with a capital G, but many places don't really appreciate a herd of RV's hanging out. The other option most people go for is in an RV park, and those aren't exactly on the cheap side. Well, at least I don't consider them cheap. Of course, you can find the exception occasionally. I lived in an RV in Southern California for the better part of a year and found that life in RV parks is just a little close. Physically close. Parking six to ten feet from the next guy isn't uncommon. Privacy becomes an issue. For those of us enjoying the wide open spaces, that isn't exactly what the doctor ordered. You will have to get used to moving occasionally to freguently depending on the park's policies. Being a military retiree, their parks frequently have a limit on how long you can stay in them before moving on.
On the more positive side, I've seen some wonderful sights and lived in some great places, if only for a while. Picking an Airstream for full timing is a wise choice, given they usually have 2 1/2 inches of insulation. The Winnebago I used to have had an inch of insulation, if that, and is not a good choice for full time living. Keep reading and doing your research, and you will come up with the right choice!
There is an entire section full of sub-sections by region for Boondocking. Check into that section for the free and really cheap places to park it. Many places seem to have a limit on stay time, but I don't know if the rules prohibit a person from leaving for a day and coming right back if you're really interested in staying at that one place. Bob Thompson here has some really great threads called "Cheap or Free in..." and he lists the state. I'd love to have all the states listed some day and I'm sure he would too.

PS... I see nothing wrong with living off the land as long as you are respectful to nature, other people, private & public lands, and not breaking laws. And of course, part of this, I believe, means being a concientious and compassionate person, so lend a hand when you can. More power 2 u!

Peace Out!!!
Old 02-17-2008, 01:23 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
As for making money on the Internet: eBay featured a father and son not to long ago making $10,000.00 a month selling model trains. I know this is an exception but I've done a fair amount of eBay selling ( camera equiptment) with my best month at $3.800.00. Your not going to make this selling garage sale finds and Knic knacks, but it can be done and as long as you have the Internet and a Post Office your in business. The Post Office will supply Priorty Mail boxes and and tape for free and even deliver them to your house. (or Airstream)
craftsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 10:02 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari SS SE
Alton , Illinois
Momo3: Your young, your a dreamer and your naive but hey that's OK. I don't see a success to wintering in St.Paul in an AS. Too cold and yes, you will get cabin fever. If you have people and can't leave for whatever reason, all is not lost. MN is insanely beautiful and especially from May to November; in those months live your dream but come back inside when it gets cold.

Park that silver beauty in the vicinity of one of those cool northern lakes or wherever and enjoy it for what it was intended, camping and traveling during the 6 months when MN really shines. If I wanted to full-time in AZ or NM an AS would be fine because I would be outside. In MN I'd opt for a 5ver by Excel, New Horizons or Teton because they can take the cold, they are roomier and warmer. That said these particular 5vers can be seriously expensive. Best of Luck.
Brad Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 10:27 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
San Antonio , Texas
Momo, I love this topic too! Here's another thread for your consideration. http://www.airforums.com/forums/f314...ing-42066.html Living off-grid in a 'Stream must be archetypal! Find an airstream that suits you and lead the way!

“Complications arose, ensued, were overcome...savvy?”
- Captain Jack Sparrow
monocoque is offline   Reply With Quote