Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Full-Timing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-08-2020, 02:48 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Morro Bay , California
Using an AS as a substitute for a permanent structure

I currently am living the vanlife. I'm full-time and have been recently using my mother's as a home base. I want to have my own place so I don't have to deal with family drama. I've been looking at land to buy and have been researching wells, prefab buildings, zoning, permits etc.

When it dawned on me that building a structure could be 300-400 per square foot including permits. When adding foundation and erection crews it could be over 100k to build something.

Then I thought, what about just buying an airstream and parking it on the land as sort of a semi permanent addition to the land.

Is this something that people do? How well does an airstream handle this sort of stuff? Since it would be semi permanent, I'd probably just get the largest one, 33' classic.
HisAirness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 03:20 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Canyon Country , California
There are several vintage Airstream trailers are being used as rental units, bar and food stand at Flying Flags campground in Buellton, not too far east from Morro Bay.

I seen some people leave Airstream on their properties, pretending only to store until take it out for camping trips.

2019 Flying Cloud 19CBB
Halford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 04:18 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Bugtussle , Oklahoma
Morrow Bay is one place this would work because of the mild climate there. Airstreams and most RV's don't do well when it's get below freezing. Your biggest hurdle will be finding RV friendly zoning. I know you want an Airstream, but a 5th wheel trailer with multiple slide outs would make a better semi permanent residence at a much lower cost.
Old 05-08-2020, 09:50 PM   #4
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
IMHO - tiny homes work best for applications that require limited moving and travel trailers work best for moving homes. If you go travel trailer, an RV garage with a small apartment crosses both worlds. If you really don't plan to travel, a tiny home can be built on a concrete foundation.

I would not purchase an AS to use as a permanent living structure. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 12:10 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Look around for "RV Resorts" rather than campgrounds. Florida and Arizona are awash with them, and they are primarily run for retirees and snowbirds, who want to leave the bitter winters of northern states and Canada. People age out or die, and then you can buy for substantially less than building something yourself... and there aren't the zoning and.permitting hassles.

Over time many of the RVs in these resoert have.been replaced with single wide "park models" or double wide manufactured (prefab) homes. Often either one will have an RV garage or carport too. In many of these communities you have a deeded lot or condo membership. Some are really viable imvestments... others are sketchy and primarily occupied by poor and handicapped individuals.

Shop around on the web for this type of community. I love my Airstream and I sure do not want a large house to maintain and clean.... but sooner or later having a washer and dryer and dishwasher will start to tempt you, and a second bathroom - when company comes to visit? Ooooooh!
Old 05-09-2020, 09:15 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2015 22' FB Sport
Boothbay Harbor , Maine
When looking at land make sure "parking a trailer" is something you can do there. We looked at a piece of property we wanted to buy for a large garden, not far from our house, and the owner specifically said "no trailers" to the real estate agent. I don't know if it was formally written in the deed. Also some ordinances don't allow "parking a trailer" on properties.
dnas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 09:27 AM   #7
Married with Airstream

2004 25' International CCD
Vancouver Island , British Columbia
Just remember that AS are not 4 season trailers
2013 F-150HD FX4 SuperCrew Lariart (MaxTow) "Red Dragon"
drbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 09:31 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Friday Harbor , Washington
I have been living full time in a 2016 FC25 for over three years. I needed a touch of class. I only add it is very useful to add a generou deck.
Rob Cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 07:18 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
New Hudson , Michigan
I had to laugh when I got our 2018 30' FC, the like 2nd page in the manual had a warning stating, "Note this trailer is not intended to be used as a full-time dwelling:....

I guess I'd say it's all about location, as many have stated they are not four season trailers, and there are a lot of factors to consider, heat/cool/moisture all play factors, I've seen many complaints about moisture on the interior walls causing mold problems, as these are pretty well sealed the humidity from the average human breathing in one 24/7 is going to require a dehumidifier, especially in colder climates where your rig is closed up for long periods of time.

I love ours, and plan to do a few long (year +) road trips with it when we retire, but I don't think I'd consider them for a full-time place even, in a warm/dry climate like AZ.
ekbruster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 07:50 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari SS SE
Souix Falls , South Dakota
A 2008 25' Airstream Safari has been my home now for 7 and a half years. I live in approximately 87 square feet and love it (as a single person). I workamp at state and national parks, campgrounds, USArmy Corps of Engineers, Wildlife Refuges, etc. It's a great lifestyle and my Night Inn Shining Armor is just perfect as an on-going home. I have no sticks and bricks or property anywhere. The discussion has been interesting as I sometimes wonder where I'll park it when I finally have to "hang up the keys" as they say.
BJnewby33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 08:21 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
IMHO - tiny homes work best for applications that require limited moving and travel trailers work best for moving homes. If you go travel trailer, an RV garage with a small apartment crosses both worlds. If you really don't plan to travel, a tiny home can be built on a concrete foundation.

I would not purchase an AS to use as a permanent living structure. Pat
I agree with Pat. I would build a tiny home on a concrete foundation. This will help getting past the zoning problems you will have with a trailer and it will be a much better investment. Install a minisplit heat pump for economical heating and a/c.

Do a Google search for tiny homes to get educated.

Good luck, Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 08:30 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1998 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Shepherdstown , West Virginia
Good comments and I am right there with you. Going on 4 years this summer in my Landyacht and finishing up a project in WV this summer. Plans are to move back to GA and either build a barndominum or find something to retrofit and make that my new base.
Mike1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 08:52 PM   #13
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1997 View Post
Good comments and I am right there with you. Going on 4 years this summer in my Landyacht and finishing up a project in WV this summer. Plans are to move back to GA and either build a barndominum or find something to retrofit and make that my new base.
There used to be a woman here that built a "barndominium" of sorts. This is old memory, so here goes. Don't yell if get some of it wrong after all these years.

She worked for the Federal Government as an A&P mechanic as I recall. For the FAA or the Forest Service maybe. At any rate, she traveled quite a bit for work and used her Airstream for that part of it. Home-base was Montana? Idaho?

She built what amounts to an oversize garage at the home-base. It was big enough that she could park the Airstream in there and still had room for a small apartment in one side of the "garage". Bedroom, bath and small kitchen.

I thought it was a great setup for her situation. She was gone most of the time for work, but still had a place to call home when she needed it.

I wish I could remember her forum name because she posted several pictures of her "barn/garage". It was pretty cool.

Maybe somebody will remember her name and post it.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 10:53 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2021 19' Bambi
San Francisco , California
Love the plan, I consider myself having lived in an RV for several years now. I have owned houses and different RVs along the way (my ultimate dream is like yours, a 33 on my own property), zoning, etc. etc. has made it nearly impossible. Places where it works legally the commute has been too much, etc. I feel I can live in my AS at any temperature (much debated I know, I know). With all that said, I recently bought a house on the same street I had been full-timing, it has a circle drive and I get along with the owner much better, ha ha. I still live in my AS and have no plans to furnish the house, I did buy a fine Samsung washer and dryer as an earned treat to myself though. My ideal setup would be one small insulated building/shed for washer/dryers. Good luck, it’s very dependent on where you are, your specific needs, and how you camp. I’d love to do a 33 the way I imagine, enjoy if you can swing it...I’m compromising. Oh and Covid...who knows how that’s going to change possibly everything, something to keep in mind.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9423.JPG
Views:	122
Size:	843.6 KB
ID:	367610
Spartanguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 12:29 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Mcveytown , Pennsylvania
Been full timing for over 20 years. In my second Air Jammer now. Both 31' international Land Yachts 72 & 76 years. Live in the country with a wrap around deck. Talk about getting good deals paid total 2k for both with delivery from FLA. to PA. Winters can be tough I know.
Skipper345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 12:10 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Canyon Country , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekbruster View Post
I had to laugh when I got our 2018 30' FC, the like 2nd page in the manual had a warning stating, "Note this trailer is not intended to be used as a full-time dwelling:....

I guess I'd say it's all about location, as many have stated they are not four season trailers, and there are a lot of factors to consider, heat/cool/moisture all play factors, I've seen many complaints about moisture on the interior walls causing mold problems, as these are pretty well sealed the humidity from the average human breathing in one 24/7 is going to require a dehumidifier, especially in colder climates where your rig is closed up for long periods of time.

I love ours, and plan to do a few long (year +) road trips with it when we retire, but I don't think I'd consider them for a full-time place even, in a warm/dry climate like AZ.
Arizona? it does get darn cold in winter depending on where you are thinking of. It is hell hot in the summer. some of my family members live in AZ and plastic start to melt at 115 degrees all day and it stay hot like above 90 degrees overnight. Not sure where in AZ you mean.

2019 Flying Cloud 19CBB
Halford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 11:27 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1998 31' Land Yacht
Bandon , Oregon
Climate for full timer is important

We have lived in a 98 Land Yacht 31 ft for 4 years coming Aug 2020. First 2 were on the S Oregon Coast. Summers are perfect. It gets soggy in the winters. The "gift"is you find leaks. The challenge is mold and mildew. Last winter we began to snow bird in AZ. Found a lovely 55+ RV Park in Tucson. South enough that winters over night lows are very manageable and highs during the day are comfortable. We have had to "wait" out Covid here until getting back to the Pacific Ocean. Leaving soon as heat after June is too much for the Land Yacht and us.
So climate is most important living full time. We love our AS except that not having slides. OK for travel but to stay in place,its a bit tight. Agree that a 5th wheel or bumper pull with slides would be much more "like home" than the tubular style for permanent home. We will be putting such in our site in Tucson. Then using our "Yacht" to travel.
Shikiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 12:45 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2021 19' Bambi
San Francisco , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipper345 View Post
Been full timing for over 20 years. In my second Air Jammer now. Both 31' international Land Yachts 72 & 76 years. Live in the country with a wrap around deck. Talk about getting good deals paid total 2k for both with delivery from FLA. to PA. Winters can be tough I know.

Don’t know all those exact models, but that is so cool. I need to educate myself some on older models. I know the older Spartan models but not much about the motorhomes or 70-90s Airstreams other than when I’ve been inside them I thought, eww (not trying to offend here), this is not what I imagined to be. I guess that was just the style of the time though. People are right when they say wintering in one is stupid, but they’re wrong too. No deals like that for us Millennials.
Spartanguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 10:33 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
DNAS is correct. Many areas won't let you buy land, park a trailer, and live there. You need electricity? Can't get the power company to run a temp. line without a building permit. How about a septic system? Same deal.
Living off the grid is just about impossible, sadly because many people ruined the concept by trashing nice communities.

If you're remote enough anything is possible. I recall riding my motorcycle over "Last Dollar Mountain" outside Telluride. I came across a truck camper on the side of the mountain. No truck just the camper sitting on the ground. Someone probably lived there. Public land.
Mollysdad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 11:20 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Central , Florida
As far as any RV, it all depends upon how low your winter temps will get. For the past few years we've left our 25-footer up in the Blue Ridge mountains of North Carolina year around. Generally, once it gets below freezing it's no fun, since you have to consider things that might freeze - plumbing, water supply hose, etc. Below 40 degrees or so, the heat pump won't work very well (as in not at all), so you have to run the furnace and it eats up a lot of propane, although you can use an electric heater to save gas. Although we've stayed in the trailer in temps as low as 25 degrees for a couple of nights, it really isn't much fun for very long.

As far as Airstreams go, they really don't make a very comfortable full-time residence since there's really not that much room - after about three months we're ready to go home. As others have mentioned, a 5th Wheel trailer is far superior for extended living - mainly because of the multiple slides (I know, AS made some with slides, but they're not large enough to really make a difference for full-timing). Multiple slides make an enormous difference, but you still have the same temperature-related problems. A friend of ours tried staying through the winter in his 5th wheel a couple of winters ago and had to bail out once the temps got into the low teens for several days and the campground water supply froze - despite electric heating tape on the above-ground hydrant.

In moderate winter temps, in a large (35+ feet) fifth-wheel with multiple slides, it's absolutely do-able.
Phil&Sher is offline   Reply With Quote