Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Full-Timing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-27-2014, 06:09 PM   #1

Los Angeles , California
Urban full-timing?

I would appreciate any tips on where to park in a big city (Los Angeles) -- should I approach businesses, residences, or the city? What is a fair monthly payment for a place to park? Any other advice?

Thanks in advance,

Casey
CaseyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 06:11 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
You don't want to stay in a RV park?
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 08:40 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Chicagoland , Illinois
If you want to use any water, electricity and/or sewer you'll really need to park in a campground that provides these services. Otherwise you'll probably be looking at having to drive to a campground once per week (or so) to refill your water and empty your waste tank(s). You would also need to park in a place that would allow you to run a generator so that you could keep your batteries charged.
Airrogant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 08:46 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
There's a blog out there, as there seems for most things these days, that shares just that experience - To simplify....

The guy writing it is called Glenn Morrissey, a musician and composer working in the film industry. He started living in his Class C as an urban nomad in LA several years ago, as an experiment. He's since moved out of the city, and lives full time in a VW van travelling the wilder parts of the South West. Currently he's on tour in Australia.

His blog goes all the way back to him selling off all his stuff and moving into a Falcon Class C. Good, fun reading. He never had any problems with his urban camping adventures, in fact he was constantly surprised by how easy it was. Of course, a well kept, fairly new and clean Class C helped him along. They are easy to park without getting too much attention.

He's a good writer and an interesting guy. From what I know of him he's quite well off, so this isn't a financial decision for him.
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 10:03 PM   #5

Los Angeles , California
Thanks for the advice! I should clarify that I'm really hoping to find private property to park on -- I have solutions for water/waste/power but still not sure about where to find safe/affordable long term parking.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
CaseyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 12:29 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
I've noticed a much greater presence of RV's in industrial areas of Virginia Beach and other cities in the Tidewater area. Most are behind chain link fences - and look run down. A nice looking van or a nice looking small class C can probably park unobtrusively as long as it is moved frequently.

The chain link fence variety - well I've met one business owner who went through a nasty divorce - his ex is a physician so she got the house, but no alimony - and the kids are grown.... Him? He could probably afford a condo or apartment but has chosen to live in a fiver on his back lot. It's shopworn on the outside and he told me he's had problems with break-ins so his presence on site keeps copper thieves out of his lot (he does HVAC).

In this area they'd better be on private property and they are much less likely to draw attention if they're behind a fence. I have spent an odd night or two parked behind our business - mainly when I want to leave directly from work on a trip. I certainly wouldn't want to to do it on a regular basis... just too many homeless opportunists hanging around to be comfortable.

Paula
Old 06-28-2014, 08:11 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyK View Post
Thanks for the advice! I should clarify that I'm really hoping to find private property to park on -- I have solutions for water/waste/power but still not sure about where to find safe/affordable long term parking.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Try calling some RV storage yards and asking if they'd mind if you stayed on site. Some may like the idea if you also offered to provide some security by keeping a watchful eye.

If your just interested in bumming free parking I've read that some homeless get away with that in their cars and small RVs in the Naples area, but the homeowners don't like it and you'll have to move a lot.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 10:08 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
CaseyK,

You say you "have solutions for water/waste/power". Can you elaborate?

I have lots of experience with non-traditional parking and might be able to suggest things if I know your starting point.