Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-17-2006, 09:28 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

El Paso , Texas
Send a message via AIM to aztlanco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danetree
I have been going to central Mexico every spring for several years. I all ways remember that I am a guest in Their Country. Never have I had a problem that some good Samaritan did not come along and help me. I would avoid the border towns and use good sense everywhere. Mexico is a country where respect is given . Just don't go there and look down your nose at people. I go to Mexico and learn how to respect life to the fullest some thing we have lost in the USA. Remember poor people are not evil. Greed is what makes people bad. I travel to small towns and avoid the larger city's if I can. My Spanish is limited to more beer. 3 tacos please and where is the bathroom. If your scared stay home its your choice. Just don't condemn an entire nation because of a few stories that that have been told.
I could not have said it better! I agree totaly.
Ernie
'58 Traveler, 18ft.
aztlanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 09:35 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Mississauga , Ontario
My parents go to Mexico every year trailering for two or three months and have not had any bad or scary situations. Sometimes they camp on the beach. Service to repair car trouble was slow but successful.
Please don't make comments about Mexico if you do not have personal experience.
I suspect some of the above comments are made by people who have not even been in Mexico.
Al
BigAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 09:47 AM   #23
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl
My parents go to Mexico every year trailering for two or three months and have not had any bad or scary situations. Sometimes they camp on the beach. Service to repair car trouble was slow but successful.
Please don't make comments about Mexico if you do not have personal experience.
I suspect some of the above comments are made by people who have not even been in Mexico.
Al
Hey BigAl!

Where do your parents go, and what route do they take.

Michael
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 09:55 AM   #24
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Here is a good link of thing to be aware of when you travel to Mexico. Mexico . Years ago I traveled to Mexico many times. I have not been there in some time because of the risks involved and attitudes of the federales. Most people will not have any problems, but people need to be aware of the risks when they tavel to any foerign country.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 01:31 PM   #25
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
If your scared stay home its your choice. Just don't condemn an entire nation because of a few stories that that have been told.
My take was that no one was condeming an entire nation, but simply expressing some valid concerns that folks could and would say about some states/cities in the US.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 02:25 PM   #26
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
Quote:
I go to Mexico and learn how to respect life to the fullest some thing we have lost in the USA. Remember poor people are not evil. Greed is what makes people bad. I travel to small towns and avoid the larger city's if I can. My Spanish is limited to more beer. 3 tacos please and where is the bathroom. If your scared stay home its your choice. Just don't condemn an entire nation because of a few stories that that have been told.

Words absolutely fail me!

AIRSTREAM 345 TURBO-DIESEL
VFW, LEGION, NRA

cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 03:27 PM   #27
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Does anyone remember reading "Candide?" "------the best of all possible worlds." Poverty makes people do desperate things - and Mexico, Honduras, and Nicaragua, among others, are full of it - along with the crooks that prey on that desperation. Many very brave missionaries, reporters, and social workers have lost their lives by venturing forth into foreign areas, trusting in the good nature of the locals. The same can be said for venturing forth into many streets and neighborhoods in the U. S. No one is saying don't go - but, simply put, don't be so gullible as to believe that everyone you meet will be a Saint. Until you have personally witnessed the squalor and filth that breeds the desperation, please don't preach the infallible "goodness" of all those you'll meet along the way. Expect the best but be prepared for the worst.

Just for the record, I've travelled in many Latin and South American countries, as well as in the Carribean, the Philippines and Maylasia. My work in heavy marine construction frequently took me off the "beaten path" and far from the "touristy" areas. No - I've never had a problem - but on occasion (i.e. - Panama) I've travelled in a bullet proof vehicle with a heavily armed bodyguard - and in Mexico I've been in private meetings with the local "Don," while surrounded by his machine gun bearing bodyguards.

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 06:37 PM   #28
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Speaking of Candide,
anyone remember the book/movie:
"Suddenly last Summer"

Michael
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 08:52 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

1989 25' Excella
1998 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Kimball , Minnesota
Baja travel

We spent four weeks in Mexico a couple of years ago, Baja only. The day we crossed back over the border we decided the biggest problem we had experienced was a rude mariachi ! We traveled by ourselves. Expect to be stopped and searched by young men (Army) with big guns, Spanish definately helps and take your dog (the bigger the better). We were generally disappointed with most of the campsites but felt that boondocking was imprudent. There are lots of Americanos traveling in Baja, but no Airstreams that we saw
musketeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 06:23 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Had to re-read my earlier post to make sure of what I said. I only advised taking out more insurance as a precaution - I know that when I spent 3 weeks there several years back - my insurance company let me know of their policy changes for Mexico only - their coverage is un-effected in Dubal or Kuwait, Norway, and Kenya - strange. Mexico - with the right precautions - is probably not a bad place - just the border region from what I hear - I have only flown in.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 07:27 AM   #31
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Mexico travel

Just a note on this. First of all a trip to TJ or Cabo along the West Coast or a train ride to the Copper Canyon,is NOT the same as traveling in real Mexico. Don't sail south out of Laredo, Reynosa or Matamoros ....to some of the most beautiful country around....
and expect a completely safe experience. We have seen a major increase of armed violence....most recently last weekend when a gang raided a hunting ranch. All of the cities mentioned above have had heavily armed groups in battles in the past year. Everyone I know, making the trip by road to Monterrey, has been stopped by armed groups....some good, some not. Once past the second Border check points your on your own. Too bad too! Saltillo, Victoria (Del Cielo) and the East Coast beach fishing are great experiences. The highlands and the Yucatan are better....but, you have to get there first. If you are a person who goes to the Valley, or Mexico, and calls the locals "Spanish" you need a reality check also and are not ready for the trip South.
Andale!
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 04:11 PM   #32
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Mazatlan , Sinaloa
Trip to Mexico

Buenas tardes,

Just read the posts concerning Mexico and as in all things there are truths and close to truth. Mexico is a different place and has its own traditions and customs and if you are in the border towns there is a lot of crime. Go inland away from the border things are less confrontational, crime is much less and foreigners are greeted on an individual basis, some folks simply might not like you other do.
We are moving back to the States from Mexico after a few years of living here. There are many RV parks in Mexico and in our travels we see many travel trailer groups touring the county so although incidents do happen in Mexico, travel is safe.
Costs in several cities are increasing big time and the road tolls are becoming overwhelming. As an example, we have a small utility trailer and recently made a trip up Hwy 15 from Mazatlan to Nogales, Mexico, the toll costs one way was over $100 USD. So Mexico can be dangerous for your wallet and there are still many police officers on the take but worth the trip.

Adios,
toocrazy
toocrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 03:39 PM   #33
Rivet Master

We spend the winter at our house in San Carlos Sonora which is south of Kino Bay and frequently travel elsewhere in Mexico by r.v.
A trip to Kino Bay would be a good first time trip for anyone interested in rv travel in Mexico. It is a short one day trip on good roads and there are lots of r.v. parks in Kino bay.
A vehicle permit is not necessary for travel in this part of Sonora.
Formalities are a tourist card, easily obtained just south of the border crossing at Nogales and a passport to reinter the U.S. Mexican insurance is necessary but this can be purchased by the day at many locations on the internet or at or near the border. If pets are taken, they must have a health certificate on a U.S.D.A. form that your vet will know all about.
I know lots of people who have never been there have lots of opinions about Mexico. The truths are the following: Your throat will not be slit the moment you cross the border. Other than well publicized drug wars, there is less voilent crime in Mexico than in the U.S. Corrupt officials will not pick you clean the minute you cross the border. The truth is officials are courteous and have been instructed to do everything possible to get you the money spending tourist across the border. Unless you break a traffic law, you won't be stopped by the police. If you do make a mistake, most likely all you will get is a warning not a mordida bite. All the gas pumps are digital, once the nozzle is put back, the pump shuts off and must be reset to zero to pump gas. That makes gas pump petty swindles more difficult but not impossible.
Travel in Mexico is different than the U.S., but by no means as difficult as some imply. I urge anyone who has an interest in going to Kino Bay or elsewhere in Mexico to do it and not accept counsel from those to nervous to go themselves.
handn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 08:58 AM   #34
3 Rivet Member

El Paso , Texas
Send a message via AIM to aztlanco
Quote:
Originally Posted by handn
We spend the winter at our house in San Carlos Sonora which is south of Kino Bay and frequently travel elsewhere in Mexico by r.v.
A trip to Kino Bay would be a good first time trip for anyone interested in rv travel in Mexico. It is a short one day trip on good roads and there are lots of r.v. parks in Kino bay.
A vehicle permit is not necessary for travel in this part of Sonora.
Formalities are a tourist card, easily obtained just south of the border crossing at Nogales and a passport to reinter the U.S. Mexican insurance is necessary but this can be purchased by the day at many locations on the internet or at or near the border. If pets are taken, they must have a health certificate on a U.S.D.A. form that your vet will know all about.
I know lots of people who have never been there have lots of opinions about Mexico. The truths are the following: Your throat will not be slit the moment you cross the border. Other than well publicized drug wars, there is less voilent crime in Mexico than in the U.S. Corrupt officials will not pick you clean the minute you cross the border. The truth is officials are courteous and have been instructed to do everything possible to get you the money spending tourist across the border. Unless you break a traffic law, you won't be stopped by the police. If you do make a mistake, most likely all you will get is a warning not a mordida bite. All the gas pumps are digital, once the nozzle is put back, the pump shuts off and must be reset to zero to pump gas. That makes gas pump petty swindles more difficult but not impossible.
Travel in Mexico is different than the U.S., but by no means as difficult as some imply. I urge anyone who has an interest in going to Kino Bay or elsewhere in Mexico to do it and not accept counsel from those to nervous to go themselves.
I totaly agree with and could not have said it better than HANDN

Ernie
1958 Traveler, 18ft.
aztlanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 10:28 AM   #35
3 Rivet Member

1964 28' Ambassador
Oklahoma City , Oklahoma
We've been to Mexico many times. The only thing I can add is to remember the word Peligro on a road sign. They really mean it... even when you're not towing, some of those curves are muy peligro. Also, the Mexican truckers own the road, you're just a tourista, they have to feed the family.
Ambie '64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 11:02 AM   #36
Avion am I

1968 17' Caravel
San Luis Obispo , California
The "horror stories" we have heard about Mexico apply to the US as Well:
On the LA freeways you get shot for sport, road rage is the rule of the day. In Miami they run over you after taking your car. In Texas if you are black they will drag you along the back roads tied to the rear bumper of a pickup, and in SC the sheriff is judge, jury and executioner. If Mexican police are corrupt, US police are violent and intransigent.
It stands to reason that one must use caution in an unknown environment. The first time I went to Canada I expected it to be the stereotypical "foreign country". Instead I found a population far more friendly and civilized than its US counterpart and a country cleaner than any I had seen thus far.
I have traveled to Mexico and Argentina and can tell you that aside of thievery (a phenomenon attributable to abject poverty, not drugs or kleptomania.)
South Americans are respectful people who will open their home to you, listen to what you have to say without judgmental attitudes, and will display a generosity, warmth and a genuine friendliness that I wish existed here.
Therefore, buy insurance, carry a pocketful of quarters for the barefoot kids in the streets, talk to people without the usual superior attitude, and you will come away with experiences that are irreplaceable.
Buen viaje.
joecodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 12:04 PM   #37
Cloud10

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Fox Island , Washington
We made our first trip to Mexico last September - last minute decision while at the Grand Canyon. We met up with another couple and decided to caravan together to Rocky Point / Playa Bonita (Play Bonita Resorts)

Very easy first trip - no problems. Playa Bonita is just an hour south of the border and there you are parked at the beach with the warm Baja waters lapping at your feet.

We were stopped crossing the border into Mexico, but it really looked like they wanted to see the inside of the Bambi. :-)

On the way back we were stopped (on the US side) for setting off the gamma ray detector (false alarm) - so that was "interesting".

As it turns out the more dangerous aspect of our trip (or so I hear) was staying the night at the border (in AZ) at Organ Pipes (Cactus) National Park. Again, one of those things where it is probably fine - but I read somewhere that a park ranger was shot there. So as always, be careful and do your homework regardless of the country.

Going in a caravan (even just 2) made the difference for us. We were very careful to stay within the posted speed limits from the border down to Playa Bonita.

We were told by some kind folks at the Grand Canyon before heading south:
- don't bring ammo (we were like "what??" we don't carry have firearms)
- don't go skinny dipping (again, not something we would do)
- obey posted traffic / speed limits

We would definitely go back - and living in So Cal will try to head down again (we made it back from Playa Bonita to Los Angeles in one day). But again, would only do it in a caravan - especially if going anywhere new.

Scott
smccollister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 07:55 PM   #38

1973 21' Globetrotter
Alpine , Texas
Just returned from a month of bicycling through the state of Yucatan in Mexico. The locals do not have the words steal of violence in their vocabulary. Most places in the USA are more dangerous.

George in Alpine Texas
GeorgeP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 05:02 AM   #39
3 Rivet Member

1986 34' Excella
Austin , Texas
Quote:
I have been going to central Mexico every spring for several years.
Did you take your Airstream?

Waynon
Waynon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 10:26 AM   #40
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
rio rico , Arizona
We lived in Mexico for 18 months and Central and South America for 4 years. Never had any problems!! A little Spanish goes a long way. We tried not to be typical "Gringo" tourists, and treated others as we would have liked to treated. Traveled all over on local buses, long distance via "1st class buses".( we were traveling via sailboat)Used to sit in the front seats because you could see more, learned very quickly, DON"T!! You'll be the first to see that BIG semi hurtling toward you, IN YOUR LANE, around the blind curve while heading up the narrow mountain road!!!!
Meeting folks one to one is a wonderful experience. Things may have changed, but I don't think so. Common sense should prevail.
Happy travels,
Jeff
Equal-i-zer hitch
"Home is where the ART is"
claybags is offline   Reply With Quote