Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Full-Timing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-28-2010, 05:37 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
Portland , Oregon
Wink Thinking of buying first Airstream, full-timing...lots of questions :-)

I am thinking about downsizing from my home (storing stuff & selling my house). Haven't bought the trailer yet, but would get a new 25 foot International CCD. Am thinking about what to keep with me in the Airstream. I LOVE black & white photography, have a very nice collection, & really want it with me. I would keep the curtains over some of the windows pulled, then hang the photography over the drapes. What I've visualized would look great, however, as I read about moisture in RV's, I worry about preserving my collection, as well as the two small antique Persian rugs I would bring. I really need to knock down my living expenses, want mobility, & love Airstreams. It would be me & my German Sheperd dog.

Dogs pant == moisture, & then there's the shower & cooking--although I try to keep the cooking to a minimum! I have read about members. Who use dehumidifiers....

What have other owners done in regards to living full time in their Airstreams with an art collection? Is this realistic? I live in the Pacifuc NW, & will travel locally.
moonstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 05:58 PM   #2
_

. , .
welcome moon'

typically i suggest alMOST all questions newbies might ask...

have been asked and answered dozens (if not 100s) of times,

so go search and read the archives.
_________

but HANgING art (especially photogs) has not been asked about that i recall...

except in terms of 'framing' and wall attachment methods.
_________

so here are THREE suggestions till some1 knowledgable on the issue posts...

1. for really really precious photos consider some sort of air/moisture sealed enclosure, that is also UV resistant.

photos can also be sprayed with something? that makes them moisture resistant...

rv walls DO change temps quickly and condensation is a REAL issue near windows,

and on the NAKED international inner skins this is even a bigger issue.

i would NOT hang print/photo art over the windows, with or without the curtains/blinds closed, that's a bad idea.

2. make a portfolio of the stuff you wanna look at and flip da pages occasionally.

this could be kept in more moderate space inside the stream,

and pulled OUT for looking and showin'

3. SCAN or digitize (if not already done) the photos and use a BIG led/lcd screen to display...

isn't that what the cool rich folks do now (vis a vis b. gates) ?

high quality photo paper and professional developing is PRETTY durable stuff, but do ya wanna risk it?

((btw i've had 2-3 BIG photos hanging in the SHOWER ROOM at home for nearly 20 years, they still look great))

but in the stream EVERYTHING art-ish hanGing on the walls is SEALED or laminated.
________

now that we've dealt with the ODD BALL question...

alMOST everything related to sizes, full timing and the simple life rv myth has been posted, so go read...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 06:41 PM   #3

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

First off, welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

We have a 2005 25FB that we have spent almost 700 nights in. This plan works well for the long haul. I don't know anything about photographic art, but we live and often travel in 100% humidity situations. We have found that as long as the air conditioner or heat pump is in use, humidity is not a problem. On those occasions that we we can open up the trailer, we are usually sorry that we did as it gets very humid, very quickly.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 06:48 PM   #4

Currently Looking...
Portland , Oregon
Art in the Airstream

Thanks for your responses. I know it might sound silly, but I want to fill my moving work of art with art, yet not kill my art :-). Am hoping to meet someone who has figured out how to do this, while living in it....

Moomstream
moonstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 12:56 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
One solution for your photos would be scan your collection, store the originals with a relative or friend, and use a video picture frame in your Airstream. That would allow you to display and enjoy your art while avoiding the humidity problem.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 11:46 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1995 36' Classic 36
Orangevale , California
I saw an AS moho ad that had been customized. The guy modified the doors of the overhead cabinets into picture frames. Just an idea.
Pomfritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 11:52 AM   #7
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomfritz View Post
I saw an AS moho ad that had been customized. The guy modified the doors of the overhead cabinets into picture frames. Just an idea.
this is a good idea for the international models with flat sliding overhead locker doors...

CLEARANCE between adjacent panels is an issue (only a few millimeters) but it could still work,

for prints less than 8-10 inches.
_________

in the LONG list of issues related to rv'n or full time'n this is somewhere on page 47.
_________

now for the op and ...

in terms of "art" other than simply hanging lots-a b/w prints...

many full timers have VERY MUCH 3-d art or paintings inside.

so are probably over the carry capacity and gvwr with artsy stuff...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
art, heat, humidity, moisture