Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2012, 06:07 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Wildwood , Florida
Send a message via Skype™ to wxbuoy
exthemius; sent you a PM. 2 kids and 2 dogs must be a blast in the airstream!

KerriO; I agree. I am laughing at the propride comment! I felt the same way. The most helpfull posts were those pointing to other RV forums about it!!
Old 04-25-2012, 06:33 PM   #22
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
Airforums suffers a pattern seen on other RV related websites.

1) People who have never spent a night in an RV show up and ask all kinds of questions about fulltiming.

2) Forum members respond graciously, providing information and gentle hints that maybe it might be a good idea to go on a couple of trips first

3) Wannabe fulltimer disappears from the forum never to be heard from again.

I wonder where they've all gone.

I wonder whether any of them appreciate the carefully crafted posts, information, and suggestions.

I wonder if any of them made it past six weeks.

It wonders me.
It makes sense actually that they often seem to disappear....

• Before acquiring an Airstream they take the time to research and ask questions. If they actually get a trailer and full time I figure they are having way more fun that those of us waiting for the weekend or next trip and simply don't have time to post.
  • If they decide against an Airstream and move on to another brand then there's no reason to continue to login here.
  • If they do choose an Airstream and after 6 weeks give up, it's also likely they would not return to post about that experience. After all why would you login to post "I tried it, but crashed and burned. Airstreaming is not for me" ??

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 06:46 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
A welcoming, inclusive community

Had it not been for the classifieds here, we surely would not have found the perfect AS for us even though we will probably never be fulltimers. And once we got our AS, after 6 months searching the classifieds and pouncing on "our" AS 4 hours after it was posted . . . have found many very good answers here. Everything from the doh! kind of questions . . . why is my refrigerator fan still running without any power source..... to how do i tighten the galley sink fixture... I got the right answer to that one within 16 minutes.

But what has kept me here and I think keeps many here is the vast majority of folks here who are patient with all types of questions, who truly care about people they only know through posts here until they are fortunate enough to meet at a Forums "rally".

Do some folks go on and on with their "knowledge?" Do we beat the Goodyear Marathon issue to death and beyond? Perhaps.

On the other hand, there are some folks on here who have great stories, both AS and non AS related who are courteous and friendly and give this a true sense of community. Yes, I'm pointing a neighborly finger in your direction, CrawfordGene. lol

So perhaps some of the would-be full-timers find it's not their cup of tea, can't afford it, etc, etc, but what better place to come and get information from folks who are actually full-timing in the home on wheels of their choice?

So if a wannabe pops up and asks some questions . . . if you feel so inclined to opine.... have at it. The beauty of the computer, smartphone, tablet is that just like that opiate of the masses that continues to hang on in millions of homes in our world . . . the maligned and/or praised television set.... there is an on/off switch... so anyone who doesn't want to be bothered with wannabes doesn't have to be.

And that . . . is all I have to say about that! lol
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 01:55 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Sometimes I think the human interaction is worth as much as the end result. It's nice to ask a question and have folks answer. And it's nice to be able to offer help and suggestions.

Not to say that it's perfect or that we all behave. And some selectivity always helps. But a strong and supportive forum community is a real asset.

That said, I wonder if they are out there full-timing too, but more from hoping that they are happy with whatever decision they made.

Tom
Old 04-26-2012, 06:00 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Advice

Giving advice can be a double edged sword. The garment industry asserts "One size fits all" but it just isn't true.

I spent most of my life cutting my own path - but somehow when it came to going fulltime in an Airstream as a single woman - I kinda flaked out... self doubt didn't creep in, it really bulldozed me. So I made one of those "what do you think" posts - and within 2 months had my first Airstream.

I'm still happily fulltiming 7 years later.

HOWEVER, I'm not going to shine on anyone about how GREAT fulltiming is bound to be. It's not all roses and lollipops for everyone. I don't want to encourage anyone to spend $100,000 and then be miserable ...and impoverished ... and stuck, due to lack of money to change again. In spite of my satisfaction with the life - my advice will always be "test it out" before you spend the big bucks."

I notice I am once again in need of a major "yard sale" - my trailer is starting to get cluttered with stuff that I need to throw out, sell or give away. This seems to be happening a little more frequently than in the past. Am I getting tired of fulltiming? Or just not as focused as I used to be?

Paula
Old 04-26-2012, 07:13 AM   #26
4 Rivet Member

1977 25' Tradewind
Waskesiu Lake , Saskatchewan
I think everybody has gotten caught up with unbridled enthusiasm about something they are absolutely clueless about at some point in their lives (whether it be restoring a rusty 1966 Mustang that is really beyone hope, eyeing up a run-down character home "as an investment" or going on a solo sailing trip around the world)...

Dreams keep us looking for more, provide mental excitement and promote optimism.

So... those that ask questions? Keep asking, and hopefully you continue to get the respectful answers that will help you to decide whether to jump in with both feet and never look back or to give your head a shake, smile and find a different dream to pursue!

1977 25' Tradewind (with two ... three... FOUR dogs)
2011 Ram 1500 Quad cab, 5.7 Hemi, tow pkg.
kevin242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 08:06 AM   #27

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Loving the minutiae

To KerriO's point about the minutiae which often crop up deep into a long thread about fixing/replacing/adjusting/upgrading some part of new or old Airstreams on the Forums: I have to admit that it's true, sometimes posts get VERY detailed, but I love it. When it's not a topic I'm currently interested in, I just skim, but when it's something I have to do soon (or am in the process of figuring out how to do) I love having very detailed descriptions so that I have a good idea of what I'm likely to find.

Then again, I'm the sort of person who would WRITE that sort of post on a topic I'm familiar with, so it may be a self-selection issue.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 08:28 AM   #28
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
A pattern that is obvious in the type post referenced by the OP is that little to zero reading has been done prior to posting on "Wants to Fulltime". Not a phenomenon restricted to AIR but evident on all vehicle related forums (and probably others). What constitutes "fulltiming" is over an enormous range of possibilities. One might argue definitions, but it is truly idiosyncratic: trailer + people + extended nights aboard per year (is about it). We others can't define what that might mean for the one asking without some rudimentary help.

The expectation by the newly-disappeared, too often I surmise, is that others will do the thinking for them as those responding have actually done the reading and have somehow become the equivalent of retail store clerks. Are obliged, somehow. We all recognize the flush of enthusiasm and wish to be of help . . but most questions have answers that are technical.

Then there is the resentment at having to sort through information and being unable to distinguish it from knowledge, thus being unable to formulate their own questions that an adequate answer can be made. Information on hitches isn't complicated, it's formulaic. Resistance to something as simple as list-making and information-gathering is revealing. Do it right, or do it half-assed . . the only difference is in some small efforts. Confusion arises as those who resent having to read never become clear in themselves that this (hitch rigging as example) is evolving as a matter of group conscience. Here and other RV forums where consensus hasn't dulled into complacency are several handfuls of people who are taking apart old assumptions. But that is generally separate from the How To of hitch rigging. Even in the same thread.

We live in an era where the tools of thinking exist -- at best -- at the sixth grade level (this includes college graduates). One would have hoped, however, that the courtesy of a reply is dependent on something worth replying unto. The burden is not on those who reply. How this simple, mannerly way of dealing with others has been lost mystifies me.

If the investigation involves some effort -- shifting from feelings to thnking -- well, we don't live in a society which any longer places a high value thereon. The examination (as has been noted above) may not survive the transition from one state to another. As to why, one can range widely in speculation.

The help is on offer. That hasn't changed, and won't. If one wants happy talk stop by the nearest RV dealership. Be prepared to spend more and receive less. And so forth, ad infinitum.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 09:44 AM   #29
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
The other group missing in action is the "restore" startup group. With all the restore startups reported, one would think there'd be no more unrestored Airstreams in existence.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:12 AM   #30
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
"that is covered in post's XYZ, and you should really search the threads before asking"

Newbies generally are not familiar with how the Air Forums are structured and the more established members may attempt to make it easier for them to navigate the forums.
There is no real value in having a zillion threads on the same subject. A simple search will get most questions answered, or at least move you onto the right thread.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxbuoy View Post
Folks are not going to like this but..... I think most of them are still here, but don't want to deal with the "talking down" that they get. I full timed for 8 months and I still read the forums but rarely post. After being told "that is covered in post's XYZ, and you should really search the threads before asking", or just the bashing that goes on.
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:30 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
And, really, there are just a few folks here who refer you to search the posts before giving information.

You don't always know what to search for when you have a problem. And, if it is urgent, you want real-time help as quickly as you can get it.

Maggie
Old 04-26-2012, 10:36 AM   #32
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' International CCD FB
Bay Area , California
…I just wouldn't assume that because enthusiastic n00bs have stopped posting here about certain topics, that it means that they have failed, given up, or continue on in ignorance. This forum is a great source of knowledge, but not the only source of knowledge, and the assumption that because they didn't read a 100-page thread on here—where some of the info is good, and some is just plain wrong— means that the person is unwilling to read or seek knowledge, or that the person doesn't understand their hitch, is just plain wrong.

We bought our airstream to get out there, live and have fun, not to ruminate on the finer details of every detail. We seek enough info to pursue our fulltiming safely, responsibly, and comfortably, and that hasn't required a lot of follow up here. For those doing repairs and restoration, I don't know how they could survive without this forum. But honestly, buying a newer airstream and living in one is just not nearly as complicated as I would have expected if I went by these forums alone! Everyone gets what they need out of forums. I just wouldn't make assumptions about why or why any particular person don't stick around here.
KerriO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:58 AM   #33
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
First, Goal', thanks for the compliment.

Jammer, good topic. I think most have taken it more broadly to: where do they go, fulltimers or not? I will reply in that vein.

I immediately thought of Fatboy (if that was actually his Forum name; can't find it now). Apparently well named, he bought, if I recall correctly, a vintage trailer to restore. The thread he started quickly got desperate on his part and then he was gone. I think there were some comments about his weight getting in the way of this kind of labor. Add him to the "disappeared"*.

But in a life of people asking me for advice in my profession and many wanting to get it for free, I gave it freely because I thought it the right thing to do. Many never let me know how it worked out even though I made a point of asking them to. Same thing happens here, though different kind of advice most of the time. I still give it and still wonder what happened.

Gene

*The "disappeared" or "desaparecidos" refers to opponents of military regimes in Argentina and Chile who were taken and killed; hopefully, this term does not refer to the present topic.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:58 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
I have a gal pal who wants to fulltime.... and much as I like her, I really wish she'd get on the forums (instead of asking my opinion all the time). I really like her but the thought of her pulling a trailer scares me. I've met her in a vacant store's parking lot with my trailer and let her try driving, backing and hitching.

It might be funny in a Laurel & Hardy movie - but 5 orange parking cones have given their lives already and she hasn't yet mastered staying in one lane when driving foreward yet!

If I abandon all tact, I'll probably lose a friend, and if I don't I'll probably watch this one kill herself. Maybe I should give her tuition to truck driving school for her birthday!

Paula
Old 04-26-2012, 11:11 AM   #35
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Martinez , California
One of the great things about the internet is that it allows you to learn from others mistakes and experience. I came to this forum originally because I was seriously considering selling everything and going full-time in my retirement. After asking questions and reading many past posts I realized that full-timing, at least in a trailer, was not for me. Listening to the comments of others helped me to ask myself questions that wouldn't otherwise have occurred to me, like "do you want to camp, or travel?" I personally have never found myself talked down to or treated badly in any way by anyone on this forum, and I appreciate the help. If there's anything that makes newbys turn off it's probably: 1) no matter how any thread starts it eventually seems to end up talking about blackwater tanks and systems. The impression that this gives to Newbys is that most of Airstream life is centered around caca; 2) a lot of people that come to the forum are thinking about buying a brand new Airsteam. They leave when they realize that this forum is basically devoted to restoring and collecting vintage models, and 3) if you read enough posts you eventually figure out that Airsteam was bought out years ago and the trailers that they have built since then are a shadow of what they used to build, which is to say if you buy a brand-new Airstream you are paying a big cash premium for a name. Most newbys that come to this forum are interested in buying a ready-to-go trailer, not in restoring a 30 year-old one.
Mr.Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 11:29 AM   #36
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
OH YES !!!!!
Just what we need, more "I know everything now" truck drivers.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
If I abandon all tact, I'll probably lose a friend, and if I don't I'll probably watch this one kill herself. Maybe I should give her tuition to truck driving school for her birthday!

Paula
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 11:48 AM   #37
Rivet Master

1992 34' Excella
Austin , Texas
Quote:

Paula
Paula, I've had to deal with this issue before too. I have a friend who noticed my moderate success hauling mobile homes and decided that he was going to buy a truck too and he wanted me to help him get setup in the mobile home hauling business.

I sat down with him and had a heart to heart talk and I told him point blank that his driving was too sloppy and inattentive and if he tried to pull these oversize loads down the road at best he would wind up in a lawsuit which could cost him his home and at worst he and/or an innocent victim of his driving would die. He was quite angry at me but it did kill his efforts to become a mobile home trucker, and he was cool towards me for six months or so afterwards but he finally had to admit that I was right and we remain close friends to this day.

You have a responsibility to your friend if you truly care about her, as well as the responsibility of all humans to protect other innocent persons that could be harmed to speak up for their safety. You should give your friend your honest appraisal of her ability to safely pull a trailer and assist her in acquiring the skills required if you can. A truck driving school is actually a very good idea because it will teach skills in excess of those required to pull an AS.

Your friend may have her feelings hurt but after a time she should come to realize that you were doing it for her safety and because you care about her and the hurt feelings should go away. If you can't be honest with a friend, especially about their safety, then they aren't really that good of a friend.
"Rancho Deluxe"
Crusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 01:05 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusty View Post
You have a responsibility to your friend if you truly care about her, as well as the responsibility of all humans to protect other innocent persons that could be harmed to speak up for their safety. You should give your friend your honest appraisal of her ability to safely pull a trailer and assist her in acquiring the skills required if you can. A truck driving school is actually a very good idea because it will teach skills in excess of those required to pull an AS.

Your friend may have her feelings hurt but after a time she should come to realize that you were doing it for her safety and because you care about her and the hurt feelings should go away. If you can't be honest with a friend, especially about their safety, then they aren't really that good of a friend.
Thank you.

You are right of course. I've always admired those people who have the native charm to tell you to go to hell in such a nice way that you end up thanking them for the directions. Unfortunately - in that respect I was brought up by wild poodles. Sarcasm is an art form in my family: I get that it's cruel, and strive to use only with self-effacing humor. I've lived in the south for 40 years and am still so lacking in "Southern Charm" that I must refer to myself as a grateful recoverin' Yankee.

I'll have to sit down and do some serious speech writing to make it come out caring and concerned but clear enough for her to understand. The parking lot escapades didn't daunt her! (I however wished I'd had botox injections prior to sitting in the passenger seat!)

Paula
Old 04-26-2012, 01:14 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Thumbs up

You always crack me up Paula.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 01:40 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
Talking

Quote:

(I however wished I'd had botox injections prior to sitting in the passenger seat!)

Paula

What? you mean you don't like the face frozen with fear look that you ended up with? As far as I can tell that's pretty much the look that people pay the big botox bucks for....

True story, went to doctor this week for allergy season stuff and the clinic was running a spring special on botox injections... only $9.75 per unit.... makes you wonder if there's a "Best by" date on the stuff

oh wait, we were talking about all the extraneous information in threads.....
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote