Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Full-Timing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-16-2008, 08:59 AM   #661
4 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
, Michigan
Send a message via AIM to eikel1we
My dad used to say, "Life's great .... if you don't weaken!" Terry, you and Marie have proven to be pretty sturdy, but geez -o- pete - enough is enough already!!! We're going to have to start calling you Murphy, as in Murphy's Law! Maybe Murf for short.

sue

ps The new truck is sharp! and do you still have the B-van?
2004 GMC Yukon XL 2500
Michigan - "middle of the mitt"
eikel1we is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 11:33 AM   #662
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by eikel1we View Post

ps The new truck is sharp! and do you still have the B-van?
Thank you, and yes, we still have the B-van.
Old 09-16-2008, 11:44 AM   #663
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Wickenburg , Arizona
Is there power to the fuse? If not, if you power up the fuse from the battery it may bring the harness alive.
Diesel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 11:48 AM   #664
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel1 View Post
Is there power to the fuse? If not, if you power up the fuse from the battery it may bring the harness alive.
Yes, there is power to the fuse (40 amp maxi fuse). It seems the BCM is what controls where the power is routed, and it was never "flashed" for the tow package it had. I have to take it to the dealer for warranty work tomorrow I'll see if I can talk one of the techs into reprogramming it for me as a professional courtesy. Maybe buy him lunch or something...
Old 09-16-2008, 12:16 PM   #665
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Wickenburg , Arizona
If the bribe does not work ,try to find the relay that the 40 amp fuse runs through. I think that the PCM would switch the relay on, so if you can ID that relay you could switch it on with battery power and that should power up the harness.
Diesel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 06:14 AM   #666
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Yes, we still have the b-van, and I drive it all of the time.

I broke the radio already. I put the conversion cassette for my mini Ipod in, so I can listen to my favorite music, and it's stuck. When I say stuck, I mean, impossible to remove stuck. Never to come out again stuck. My son wants to know how in the devil did I get it stuck. Me too. Terry has tried everything to get it out.

The worse part is it skips. The music will play for 3 seconds, then silence for 2 seconds. It drives me and Sophie nuts! The cassette drive needs to be cleaned, but we can't get the Ipod conversion cassette out.

He-- with it, I will visit yard sales, and send Terry to local junk yard to find one, and we will replace it then break the old one and get the cassette out.

Other than that, we are on the less than a week countdown to leaving for Ca.

Marie
Old 09-20-2008, 06:20 AM   #667
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Things happen fast at our house...

I am temporarily among the ranks of the unemployed, but that doesn't mean I'm not busy. I loaded up my tools, and departed work around 5:30 last evening. It took almost an hour to get out of the place, no one really wanted me to leave. Interestingly, the entire sales staff walked out (as in quit) earlier this week. Seems I am not the only one that had issues with upper management.
Now I can spend some time checking the wiring in the new truck. I have checked with my friends at GM, and they tell me there is no reason to brake controller and charge line don't work. It is not involved with any computer, which is good, as I have never had to have a computer reprogrammed to tow a trailer before.
After that, I have to go back to Firestone (shudder) for another tire. When I bought the truck, it had no spare. I got a spare wheel, but it had no tire on it. I am not going 3000 miles with no spare, that will be asking for a flat tire, probably 400 miles from any place that sells tires. I'll let you know if any further drama unfolds getting (hopefully) the last tire...
Old 09-20-2008, 06:23 AM   #668
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
and fix the radio in the van.

Marie
Old 09-20-2008, 01:01 PM   #669
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
.....This just in.....

I have the spare successfully mounted in the truck, the people at Firestone couldn't figure out the lift mechanism for the spare . So, after I got home, and put the spare where it goes, I turned my attention to the wiring. I pulled stuff apart there should be no reason to pull apart, and lo and behold, there were 3 wires not hooked up to the main fuse panel under the hood. There was one wire not connected to another one, and two wires not mounted on the lugs for the power bus. Naturally, I didn't have the proper sized nuts (I only have a few hundred lying around, none in those sizes), so off to Ace Hardware I went. 65 cents later, I had the correct retaining nuts, and everything works like it should.
Later, I'll be installing the license plate light and bracket for Bertha. The light was out, and when I tried to disassemble it to replace the bulb, it crumbled to dust in my hands. The only thing holding it together was the chrome.
And so it goes...
Old 09-21-2008, 09:07 AM   #670
2 Rivet Member

1998 28' Excella
Dolores , Colorado
Marie are you driving the B-Van and Terry pulling the trailer with his new pick-up to CA?
Lou
bolou97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 10:27 AM   #671
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolou97 View Post
Marie are you driving the B-Van and Terry pulling the trailer with his new pick-up to CA?
Lou

Yes, I am driving the guest house and Terry is pulling the coach behind his new toy, uh truck.

He has the Garmen in the truck, so if we get lost it's not my fault. Of course he never gets lost. No really he doesn't. I think he has a Garmen in his brain. The man can find any place we are going.

I detailed the van yesterday, and the dog this morning.

Sophie was funny, she heard the water running when I called her she took off and hid behind Terry. He picked her up and put her in the tub, she looked at him as if to say "traitor". She does smell better, and her coat is soft.

So we are winding down to launch time Saturday morning. Last day at work for me is Thursday, Friday is finish laundry, load van, and a few other odds and ends.

Oh Yea, the radio in the van was fixed yesterday, Terry got the ipod thingy out. Had to take the radio out to do it, but he fixed it! Thanks Terry.

Marie
Old 09-21-2008, 10:34 AM   #672
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Why I hate vinyl seats...

This morning started off clear and sunny. I had a couple of errands to run, so I hopped in the new truck (trying to put some miles on it so I can see if there are any real "issues"--so far, so good), and headed off to the store. It was a warm morning, so I put on shorts instead of the jeans I normally wear. First place I stopped, I went in, picked up a few items, and went to stop 2. Stop 2 happened to position the truck so the driver's seat was in direct sunlight. Florida sun is hot, and Florida sun in Summer is hotter. Add to that I had the windows rolled up (Florida in Summer can become very wet, very fast, as in rain), and taking longer than I thought I would in the store.
Bear in mind, every vehicle I've owned for the past 20 or so years has had cloth seats--for a reason. The new truck has vinyl seats. Vinyl seats tend to get very hot when exposed to direct sunlight. I came out of the store, unlocked the door, and hopped into the irradiated driver's seat. The vinyl seat that had been in the sun for an extended period. While I was wearing shorts.
Holy Crap!!!!
I thought I'd sat on a pile of nuclear waste, or at the very least, molten lava! I think the back of my legs are fused to the seat now... I hope the burning sensation will stop soon! Wow! I don't think I'll do that again for a while...
Old 09-21-2008, 10:37 AM   #673
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
are you taking turns riding with sophie? :-)
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 10:38 AM   #674
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Terry, what ever happened to 'Welcome to my world?' That could happen up here if you tried it on a cold winter morning. 'cept I've never had shorts on to try it. I remember wearing shorts when I was 14 once...

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 10:39 AM   #675
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
If you have vinyl or leather seats in Arizona it is suggested that you spray them with PAM before you sit down. I have always has cloth seats just because of the sun and heat factor. I also dislike the smell of burning flesh.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 10:42 AM   #676
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by richinny View Post
are you taking turns riding with sophie? :-)
Sophie will decide where and with whom she rides. This could be interesting.

Marie
Old 09-21-2008, 10:43 AM   #677
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
that's the second hot seat story i heard in 12 hours. my friend was on the island of Cyprus for a few weeks. he told me that if you think your car gets hot in summer, don't dare got to Cyprus! i think winter in FL is hot!
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 10:51 AM   #678
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
How are you going to keep in touch with each other on the road? If we see you guys going by, maybe we could give you a shout! We will be on the road 10/2 & 10/3 headed from Phoenix to Albuquerque for the Balloon Fiesta.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 11:41 AM   #679
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster View Post
How are you going to keep in touch with each other on the road? If we see you guys going by, maybe we could give you a shout! We will be on the road 10/2 & 10/3 headed from Phoenix to Albuquerque for the Balloon Fiesta.
We will have our cell phones, plus we have personal 2 way radios, for areas without cell service.
Old 09-21-2008, 11:50 AM   #680
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Try one of these. That's what I use in the (el cheapo) seats in the work truck.

Arctic Cool Wire Spring Seat Cushion

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1974 sovereign, travel