Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Full-Timing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-30-2008, 09:13 PM   #601
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
The bathroom lights are in, and working. I'll have to post a couple of photos tomorrow while Marie is at work. I was late getting home from work because I had to replace the fuel pump in the B van. If I had to hazard a guess, I would guess the new Gasohol mixture we now have here is wreacking havoc on older fuel systems. I had to replace the fuel pump on the truck, now the B van.
I'll be battening down again tomorrow on the off chance the latest hurricane decides to take a swipe at us on its way to flattening the New Orleans area.
Old 09-01-2008, 09:54 AM   #602
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Welcome to my world...

Since, among other things, we are going to be towing Bertha to Georgia in a couple of weeks, and the tires on the truck are 4 years old, and tread depth is very close to minimum (3/32"-4/32"), I headed over to Firestone to get a new set put on. There's nothing like the feeling of fresh new tires on your tow vehicle...
However, the tech assigned to put these tires on is almost as old as the truck, and had no idea how to drive a manual-transmission vehicle. Enter a substitute tech. He successfully got the first tire off the truck, but was having trouble getting the tire off the wheel. After a few minutes of struggling, he managed to whack himself in the face with the iron bar he was using to remove the tire, and knocked himself unconscious. He also got a smashed nose in the process. The score so far: Truck 2, Firestone 0. The tech got hauled off to the emergency room, but should be back to work in a couple of days. Maybe the truck was getting even for all those recalls a few years ago.
So, on to tech #3...He managed to get the tires off and on, but when he parked the truck, he couldn't get the key out of the ignition. I walked out, and hit the release lever, and removed the key. The score: Truck 3, Firestone 1.
After I paid my bill, I got in the truck, and headed home. I have to drive on the Interstate to get there, and, of course, the tires were not balanced properly. I now feel like a milkshake at speeds over 60 mph. I'll be heading back there in a while for a re-do of the balance. So, the final score: Truck 4, Firestone 1. They fought the truck, and the truck won.
Old 09-01-2008, 09:58 AM   #603
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
hoo-boy. Are you sure hotLAVA isn't writing this saga?

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 11:53 AM   #604
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
i feel bad for the kid that got knocked out but my gut hurts from laughing! i'm sure glad you got the "trained" technician.

did you get the 'chinese' valve stems too?
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 04:31 PM   #605
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by richinny
did you get the 'chinese' valve stems too?
I got the metal stems. With any luck, they'll hold up.
Old 09-01-2008, 05:53 PM   #606
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Great story. When I run into a store like that, I never go back. I hope you can miss the next hurricane and the next and the next…

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 05:29 PM   #607
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Great story. When I run into a store like that, I never go back. I hope you can miss the next hurricane and the next and the next…

Gene
We'll see after the hurricane after this one. It is supposed to turn North either over or near Florida. I'm heading back to make Firestone rebalance the tires on Sunday (my first day off so I can do this).
Old 09-05-2008, 05:40 PM   #608
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Now for the news. I am departing my job in this area in a couple of weeks. This was supposed to be a temporary stopover on our fulltiming journey, and we have been here nearly ten months. It's been a long day, with a steady stream of employees finding excuses to come by my office today. With all the long faces, you'd think Elvis had died again.
Now, I have been offered a less physically demanding position at a facility that caters to the RV crowd, so after we get Bertha and the B van ready to get underway again, we'll be heading out in another direction, maybe at the end of this trip we will find someplace we can again call home.
Old 09-05-2008, 05:47 PM   #609
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
Now for the news. I am departing my job in this area in a couple of weeks. This was supposed to be a temporary stopover on our fulltiming journey, and we have been here nearly ten months. It's been a long day, with a steady stream of employees finding excuses to come by my office today. With all the long faces, you'd think Elvis had died again.
Now, I have been offered a less physically demanding position at a facility that caters to the RV crowd, so after we get Bertha and the B van ready to get underway again, we'll be heading out in another direction, maybe at the end of this trip we will find someplace we can again call home.

Congrats on the new voyage and the new opportunity. Its nice having a house with wheels sometimes isn't it?

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 07:20 PM   #610
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
is sophie changing jobs too?
in any case, all your recent friends will miss you and your new friends will be pleased to meet you!
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 08:00 PM   #611
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by richinny
is sophie changing jobs too?
in any case, all your recent friends will miss you and your new friends will be pleased to meet you!
Sophie and Marie have both tendered their resignations effective September 25. Where we are going, it will be too long a commute.
Old 09-05-2008, 08:29 PM   #612
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Sophie and Marie have both tendered their resignations effective September 25. Where we are going, it will be too long a commute.
Good luck Terry, you and Marie will be in my thoughts, and I'm sure you'll keep us updated on your whereabouts. As always, your help for this rookie has been deeply appreciated.

-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 04:44 AM   #613
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Let me put it this way. They took my resignation, but not Sophies!

Marie
Old 09-07-2008, 01:55 PM   #614
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Best wishes to all 3 of you!!!

Keep up informed.
Old 09-07-2008, 02:02 PM   #615
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Quote:
maybe at the end of this trip we will find someplace we can again call home.
Hmm, "home?". Full timers are home every minute, or they should be.
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 05:19 AM   #616
4 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
, Michigan
Send a message via AIM to eikel1we
Congratulations!! Where are you heading to ........ or is it a secret surprise for us??!!

sue
2004 GMC Yukon XL 2500
Michigan - "middle of the mitt"
eikel1we is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 07:14 AM   #617
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Sue, I guess ... well, we gotta guess. I'm guessing Terry & Marie will still be fulltiming and probably don't have enough raccoon coats to make it in any of the states that claim Paul Bunyan lineage. Or at least I'm guessing Michigan has a bit of that too. Northern tier. I'm sayin' they aren't going to the northern tier. If you look on the cover of Sgt. Pepper's I think you'll see an image of Terry like this - .

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 11:20 AM   #618
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by eikel1we View Post
Congratulations!! Where are you heading to ........ or is it a secret surprise for us??!!

sue
We are heading to the Promised Land.
Old 09-08-2008, 02:03 PM   #619
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
We are heading to the Promised Land.
That must be Colorado!

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote