Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2008, 07:43 PM   #421
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
No, I didn't take the trash out...
Instead, I have found a rather cramped way to pursue one of my hobbies while we are fulltiming.
I was talking to a friend that has a hobby shop in Miami, and I mentioned that it would be nice to be able to have a small train layout in our trailer, and it was too bad there wasn't one available (I still have some trouble with intricate tasks). He told me he had one of only six prototype train layouts made by a now defunct model railroad manufacturer, and would I like to see if I could make it fit?
Hmmm, I don't know, it would take up a lot of space...
When I got home from work today, there was a 2 foot by 3 foot box sitting on the steps....

Well, I have some really cool pictures to share, but our campground internet has deemed these photos unimportant, and therefore I can go whistle dixie, they aren't going to allow them to be transmitted.:an gry:
Old 03-25-2008, 02:29 PM   #422
4 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
, Michigan
Send a message via AIM to eikel1we
Rivet Replacing door gasket

Quote:
Originally Posted by eikel1we
Terry, glad to see you have replaced the door gasket. We have the fixin's for ours also. How long did the adheasive take to dry? How about the temperature on the day of repair?

Thanks , sue

The adhesive "set" in about 10 minutes, was dry to the touch in a half hour, and was dry as far as I could tell by morning. It was about 75 during the day of repair, with a low of 55.
I also got the gaskets for all the windows, look for an update on that upcoming adventure in a future post.
-------------------------------

I have another Q for you Terry. What surface prep is needed before applying the adhesive?

TY
sue
2004 GMC Yukon XL 2500
Michigan - "middle of the mitt"
eikel1we is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 03:06 PM   #423
4 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
, Michigan
Rivet Window Gasket Replacemant

I've written this 4 different days & times and kept losing it for some reason. Here goes again.

We have gasket material for Cupcakes windows as well and have already had an adventure before even getting to the replacement stage. (**Same surface prep on them as the door I take it?)

Ike wanted to check the procedure of removing and re-installing the window before actually starting the project. It seems as though the hinge attached to the top of the window was bent slightly ...... this is fun part. Upon re-installation (hooking the hinge in place) all the rivets broke that held the hinge to the window frame. Now this being on the other side of mid-afternoon, with lose of day light and much cooler temperatures fast approaching and all the tools needed were 1140 miles away, time was of the essence. This required a fast trip to a little RV repair shop where the owner let Ike drill out the rivets. Then a fast trip down the road to Lowe's for regular rivets and back to the RV shop where the owner let Ike borrow a rivet gun.

By now it's getting a bit colder (pulling the window shade and closing the drapes really helped alot ) and dusk would fall soon. When he got back to the state park a neighbor helped by holding the window frame in place while the Ike put the rivets in. Repair and re-install completed just in time. phewwww!!!

We are supposed to have several nice days coming up so we're going to have another go at it.

In a nut shell....don't bend the window hinge!

sue
2004 GMC Yukon XL 2500
Old 03-25-2008, 05:14 PM   #424
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by eikel1we
-------------------------------

I have another Q for you Terry. What surface prep is needed before applying the adhesive?

TY
sue
Surface prep consisted of scraping off the old gasket, removing as much of the old adhesive as posible, and applying more adhesive. I then stuck the gasket to the adhesive.
Old 03-25-2008, 05:18 PM   #425
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Trying photos again...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	128.JPG
Views:	114
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	56957   Click image for larger version

Name:	127.JPG
Views:	147
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	56958  

Name:	126.JPG
Views:	107
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	56959   Click image for larger version

Name:	123.JPG
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	56960  

Name:	125.JPG
Views:	103
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	56961   Click image for larger version

Name:	122.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	56962  

Name:	120.JPG
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	56963   Click image for larger version

Name:	118.JPG
Views:	130
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	56964  

Old 03-25-2008, 05:39 PM   #426
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Recliners again

So... Storage space plus recliners.

Hm. Get a two drawer locking file cabinet (legal size will have more storage). Make a hinged two section top that will fit behind the file cabinet for storage and can be folded out and put on top as a table.

Make sure the file cabinet is low enough and the top big enough for Terry's toy trains. You could even put a plexiglass top on the train box so Terry could play while eating.

Paula
Old 03-25-2008, 05:42 PM   #427
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again
Make sure the file cabinet is low enough and the top big enough for Terry's toy trains. You could even put a plexiglass top on the train box so Terry could play while eating.

Paula
Folded up, it isn't very big. Marie insisted I have something to occupy my time besides her and Bertha...
Old 03-25-2008, 05:49 PM   #428
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Rivet Seriously Cool

Hi Terry,

Very nice setup! What size if your piece of the Santa Fe?
Old 03-25-2008, 05:51 PM   #429
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by vswingfield
Hi Terry,

Very nice setup! What size if your piece of the Santa Fe?
It is a gigantic 23"x34"...5" tall.
Old 03-25-2008, 05:55 PM   #430
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
It is a gigantic 23"x34"...5" tall.
Very nice. What gauge is the train?
Old 03-25-2008, 06:03 PM   #431
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Very nice. What gauge is the train?
It is N guage. I used to have hundreds of these little engines, and thousands of cars, and a huge train layout in our garage.
Obviously, it's going to get some better looking "stuff" as far as scenery, and the rarity of the item is kind of neat. There was going to be a second module for the layout, connected through two tunnels in the side of the box, but with the takeover of the company that produced it, that never happened.
Technology is now available to control these little critters with your home pc or laptop, and some of them have sound effects built in. This would really make the neighbors happy at 3 am when the pain in my back keeps me awake.
Old 03-25-2008, 06:10 PM   #432
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Rivet Expansion

I thought it looked like N, but since you said it was a prototype, perhaps the gauge was an experiment too. I didn’t notice the tunnel. You could use a trestle, put it on the floor, and run tracks to your bathroom. It would add entertainment circling the throne. It would also amuse your “Toilet Model.”
Old 03-25-2008, 06:10 PM   #433
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again
So... Storage space plus recliners.

Hm. Get a two drawer locking file cabinet (legal size will have more storage). Make a hinged two section top that will fit behind the file cabinet for storage and can be folded out and put on top as a table.

Paula
Good idea!!

But I think we dropped the recliner idea for now. We tend to bounce things back and forth until we totally hash it out, so we are still bouncing.

I wish there was a way to do it and still keep the table.

Marie
Old 03-25-2008, 06:14 PM   #434
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
It would add entertainment circling the throne. It would also amuse your “Toilet Model.”
We could call the area "China Lake"...
Old 03-25-2008, 06:40 PM   #435
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
I thought it looked like N, but since you said it was a prototype, perhaps the gauge was an experiment too. I didn’t notice the tunnel. You could use a trestle, put it on the floor, and run tracks to your bathroom. It would add entertainment circling the throne. It would also amuse your “Toilet Model.”

No

Marie
Old 03-25-2008, 06:49 PM   #436
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by sd90mac
No

Marie
Hi Marie,

I suppose you would like me to stop giving Terry ideas.
Old 03-26-2008, 06:37 PM   #437
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Hi Marie,

I suppose you would like me to stop giving Terry ideas.
Yes, if it means I have to jump over train tracks in the middle of the floor.

Our daughter in law suggested one that runs overhead, and I agreed to that one cause I like the trains too.

Marie
Old 03-27-2008, 12:26 AM   #438
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Railroads in Airstreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd90mac

Yes, if it means I have to jump over train tracks in the middle of the floor.

Our daughter in law suggested one that runs overhead, and I agreed to that one cause I like the trains too.

Marie
Good for you,

I have to admit, I have been looking at N gauge stuff and trying to figure a way to incorporate some in my Excella. I still remember my brother’s old Lionel 027 stuff. But hey, China Lake had some appeal.

Ok Marie, goin’ to my room now.
Old 03-27-2008, 05:34 AM   #439
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
But hey, China Lake had some appeal.
For those of y'all that are too young to remember, China Lake was an area that was subject to above ground nuclear tests. It's especially fitting name for that area of Bertha after some of my 4 alarm chili is processed...
Old 03-27-2008, 11:31 AM   #440
4 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
, Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
Surface prep consisted of scraping off the old gasket, removing as much of the old adhesive as posible, and applying more adhesive. I then stuck the gasket to the adhesive.
Thanks Terry. Sounds easy enough. We weren't sure if there was a final wipe down of denatured alchohol or something of that nature to prevent adhesion loss.

sue

ps The train set up is great. What a treasure!
2004 GMC Yukon XL 2500

Tags
1974 sovereign, travel