Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-13-2008, 08:19 PM   #401
4 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
, Michigan
Send a message via AIM to eikel1we
New door gasket

Terry, glad to see you have replaced the door gasket. We have the fixin's for ours also. How long did the adheasive take to dry? How about the temperature on the day of repair?

Thanks , sue
2004 GMC Yukon XL 2500
Michigan - "middle of the mitt"
eikel1we is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 05:46 AM   #402
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by eikel1we
Terry, glad to see you have replaced the door gasket. We have the fixin's for ours also. How long did the adheasive take to dry? How about the temperature on the day of repair?

Thanks , sue
The adhesive "set" in about 10 minutes, was dry to the touch in a half hour, and was dry as far as I could tell by morning. It was about 75 during the day of repair, with a low of 55.
I also got the gaskets for all the windows, look for an update on that upcoming adventure in a future post...
Old 03-15-2008, 02:50 PM   #403
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Yeah, I knowI haen't been on line much lately, but new job as program director for an Alzheimers unit is keeping me jumping. But I love it.

More things I have learned about full timing:
Less clothes means more space
Pantry only hold so much, so shopping more often
Don't tell Terry about broken items as soon as he gets home
It takes about 15 minutes a day for housekeeping
Dirty laundry takes up a lot of room (use garbage can outdoors to store them)
Make sure when you take the garbage for a drive to the dumpster, it's not the dirty clothes (haven't made that mistake yet)
Don't overbuy for the freezer, or you'll be sorry
Microwave convection oven is the way to go, don't need regular oven

More to follow

Marie
Old 03-15-2008, 06:06 PM   #404
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Hello Marie... Congrats on your new job.... We are in the frozen north for the winter and would really like some strawberry shortcake from Parksdale...
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 07:15 PM   #405
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
Marie! It's so good to hear from you. Wow, Alzheimers Unit program director ~ lots of responsibility there. Congratulations, I'm glad you're enjoying your new position.

I'm making note of all your little full-timing pearls of wisdom for the day when I get to be on the road longer than a week at a time.
Old 03-15-2008, 08:17 PM   #406
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
They all leak, part 3

Sigh...
I have gotten over the delusion that I have fixed Bertha's leaks. The latest one is a continuation of the old leak around the center Fantastic Fan, so when I go back up on the roof tomorrow, it should be fairly easy to re-re-patch...
The temp in the pantry continues to hold about 5 degrees above room tempurature, whatever that may be at the moment. The fridge is staying about 30 degrees inside, and the freezer is around 0, both plus or minus 2 degrees. There are rumors of a possible change in the living room area, but nothing is for sure right now. As for the freezer, it's tough moving through the kitchen when there is a 2x4 holding the freezer door shut because we overbought frozern food...
Old 03-17-2008, 04:27 PM   #407
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Awnings...

I would like to report that the rear window awning over the bathroom window was replaced today, and that the awning no longer looks like it was a window awning on the Titanic.
That is not what I am going to report.
The "newsed" Zip-Dee window awning looks great, and will look better when I get the parts from Inland Andy and Zip-Dee to make it work. It turns out the awning that is on Bertha is not really a Zip-Dee, but rather some misbegotten, morphodite-looking, no-name, generic, redneck-built, P.O.S. that only LOOKS like a Zip-Dee. NOTHING that Zip-Dee ever built will fit it, except the fabric itself, and that not all that great. This may be why it looks a little strange, it is a match to the one that was on the front window earlier in this thread. If it looks like I am frustrated, and ready to choke someone, it's only because I am...
The good news, is I once again think I got the leaks fixed in the roof...
I also realigned the rear and front bulkhead walls in the bedroom, and secured it so hopefully it won't move out of alignment again.
Also, I paid a visit to the Russell Stover outlet store today, and got Marie 12 pounds of chocolate, she's going to need it before I'm done with these awnings. Andy gave me a heads-up as to what I'll be looking at to get things shipshape in our awnings, and it's going to be "fun".
Old 03-17-2008, 05:29 PM   #408
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
anyone want some chocolate? Fortunately, most is sugar free or reduced sugar!

Marie
Old 03-17-2008, 05:57 PM   #409
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
The adhesive "set" in about 10 minutes, was dry to the touch in a half hour, and was dry as far as I could tell by morning. It was about 75 during the day of repair, with a low of 55.
I also got the gaskets for all the windows, look for an update on that upcoming adventure in a future post...
I highly recommend keeping a roll of aluminum foil tape and a fair sized piece of plastic sheet handy The day I did my first windows, there was NO prediction of rain. I took two windows out, got them all cleaned up and put the new gasket on, went to the house to get a cold beer, hear the sound of thunder and here it comes Next time, I tape plastic over the window hole FIRST!

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 06:57 PM   #410
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc
I highly recommend keeping a roll of aluminum foil tape and a fair sized piece of plastic sheet handy The day I did my first windows, there was NO prediction of rain. I took two windows out, got them all cleaned up and put the new gasket on, went to the house to get a cold beer, hear the sound of thunder and here it comes Next time, I tape plastic over the window hole FIRST!

Aaron
That'as a good recommendation, especially here in sunny Florida, where it never rains--
I got one of the gaskets installed, it went very well, very smoothly. Of course, that is only because I put the blasted gasket on backwards! It keeps the inside of the window area nice and dry, but the part that really needs it still has a gap I can see out of.
Maybe I should post this one in the "here's your sign" thread...
Old 03-19-2008, 04:31 PM   #411
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Anybody want a dinette?

Over the course of the last several months, we've been contemplating replacing the front gaucho with a dinette. The reasons for this are many, but basically we want higher backed seating, and room for me to stretch out and elevate my legs while seated. I even found a nearly brand new dinette from an Ambassador that I thought would fit right in.
After initially deciding to go ahead and get the dinette, we measured, figured, factored, and finally came to the realisation that there is no way it will fit without totally rebuilding the entire living room area. Also, it is a much lighter tone wood than what the veneer is in Bertha, which would neccessitate either replacing most of the visible veneer or refinishing the dinette.
So, now my dreams of a late-model dinette have been dashed, and in the process we are placing the seller in the uncomfortable position of having to sell it to someone else. Anyone that is interested in the dinette should give Steve (soldiermedic here on the forums) a PM, I'm sure he'll entertain reasonable offers for it. It is in Arkansas, so y'all even have an excuse to travel to pick it up...
In the meantime, we are looking for a mid 80's to mid 90's front gaucho to replace what we have. Anybody with one reasonably close to Florida, let me know.
Old 03-19-2008, 04:45 PM   #412
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Dinette or Recliners

One thing I don't love about any dinette is the misbegotten way it takes to put the table down into the bed configuration. I've pinched my fingers, pulled the dinette out of the hingey-thingee or gotten the pillows pinched under the table because there's no place else to put them while lowering the table.

Many of the Gaucho's or benches aren't really comfortable as seats. AND they aren't great beds either. Have you considered two lightweight recliners and a portable table? Steelcase and other manufacturers make leather office chairs that are reclining models too. They are very small compared to the Barco-lounger most of us think of as a recliner - and they are quite comfortable for TV watching and napping in. They also provide a very flexible seating solution (add 2 folding card table chairs and you can seat four easily).

Paula
Old 03-19-2008, 05:44 PM   #413
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Yea!

The best mod we have done todate is pulling out the Gaucho (Oucho?) and installing a set of small recliners. There are some photos somewhere but I'm sure #1 poster Terry has seen them on another post somewhere
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 07:37 PM   #414
4 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Leavenworth , Kansas
Cool No Gaucho here...

Moby came to us without a gaucho, so we had to come up with an alternative. Our alternative was two similar wood and leatherette 1970 chairs that I found at a garage sale for $5.00 a piece. A foot stool, large enough for both of us to have our feet on, completes the set.

We have not reinstalled the original table and are not sure if we will. We bought a four foot plastic folding table that sits along the wall across from the door. Since it's not attached we can move it around for company or drag it outside for a picnic.

I don't have the photo program on my slow computer. I'll try to get hubby to post a pic.

All's fair in love and restoration.

67 Sovereign, double bed, rear bath-"Moby"
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 Hemi, Quad Cab-"Ahab"
"Vintage trailer, vintage owners"
silver 67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 09:11 AM   #415
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
No leaks...

At least, none I could see after yesterday's all-day soaking we got. Now maybe I can move on to other things, like installing the awning stuff when it gets here, and putting on the new fridge vent cover (ours has a deformed rusty hole in it).
Forums friends Phil/Edee came by for dinner last evening, and we had a wonderful time chatting. We finally took the hint of the servers standing over us, tapping their feet, and asking for the 23rd time if we would like something else, and returned to Bertha for a post-dinner debriefing. They got the 50 cent tour, which I waived the fee for since they picked up the tab for dinner.
I also found some nearly-new tambour for the kitchen area, a good thing since the missing links have been bugging me since we moved in, it should be here Monday or Tuesday, with any luck.

AFAIK, soldiermedic still has his dinette, if anybody wants it. I feel bad about him still having it, and promised him I'd mention it to see if anybody that doesn't frequent the classifieds might want it.
Old 03-23-2008, 10:06 AM   #416
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Central , Ohio
Terry, you're off the hook! The dinette found a new home with Vaughan yesterday at the Airstream of Arkansas get-together. I'm sorry it didn't work out for you, but it made Vaughan happy to have something nice to put in his Tradewind.

Susan

1984 310 Limited Motor Home "The Rockin' A"
Alumatube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 12:15 PM   #417
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alumatube
Terry, you're off the hook! The dinette found a new home with Vaughan yesterday at the Airstream of Arkansas get-together. I'm sorry it didn't work out for you, but it made Vaughan happy to have something nice to put in his Tradewind.

Susan
That's good news. I was feeling like a schmuck for backing out of the deal, he's had enough trailertrauma...
Old 03-23-2008, 12:20 PM   #418
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Hmmmmmm, I kinda like the idea of the recliners, but we would loose the 3 storage drawers. Of course, if I finished the quilt I am making for our nephew, we could do without one of the drawers, that leaves the sewing supplies and the drawer with Terry's stuff.

Keep coming up with suggestions, all of them have been good.

I also came up with the idea of using the refrigerator soda racks to put in the new storage area where the furnace use to reside, for the extra sodas, so they would be easier to retrieve, instead of standing the boxes up and having to dig for them.

All in all, I realy like living in Bertha full time. It takes about 15 minutes a day to neaten up, and when I get ready for heavy duty cleaning, it only takes a couple of hours. Love it!!!!

Happy Easter to all

Marie
Old 03-23-2008, 07:04 PM   #419
3 Rivet Member

1999 25' Excella
Bemidji , Minnesota
Yup... we got a chance to go down and meet our friends, Terry & Marie, finally! We met at Cracker Barrel ("unleavened bread in tall round container"... according to Terry..) sigh. Anyway we were waiting in the store for this couple that we'd never met before to come in to eat with us... Those of you who have followed everything these two have been through in the past couple of years will appreciate how we were watching for this crippled guy and his wife to come in.... HA... you would never know that Terry was crunched up like he was!!!! It was wonderful to see his up-beat personality and Marie's quick humor have survived everything!!!

They're doing a great job on Bertha! I don't know if this if off-topic or not but we just wanted to let everyone know they're doing fine. ... except for a large green godzilla in the yard of Terry's workplace.

He'll explain.... or not....

Phil & Edee
Old 03-23-2008, 07:13 PM   #420
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil/Edee
but we just wanted to let everyone know they're doing fine. ... except for a large green godzilla in the yard of Terry's workplace.

He'll explain.... or not....

Phil & Edee
Umm...All I'll say is if I ever find out who approved a 30 foot tall inflatable Godzilla in front of a Japanese car dealership, they won't be able to run fast enough to get away from me...

Tags
1974 sovereign, travel