Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2007, 11:46 PM   #221
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
....The Lexan is what comes in the sunglasses from the factory, if you get a sheet, make sure it is scratch resistant on both sides. Obviously, it is available in smoke tint.
Obvious to all of us Airstreamers, but remember that "deer in the headlights" look you talked about a couple of weeks ago? I've checked Lowes, HD, automotive glass shops, commercial construction companies, etc, etc, and nobody seems to be able to get it (in the smoke/grey/dark grey color, that is). I finally chased down a single sheet of Plexi today in the dark grey for $120 at a glass company. About twice what the clear runs at Lowes and HD. I suppose I'm going to have to try and find it on line someplace.

Thanks for the help, Terry.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 05:09 AM   #222
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Susan
Obvious to all of us Airstreamers, but remember that "deer in the headlights" look you talked about a couple of weeks ago? I've checked Lowes, HD, automotive glass shops, commercial construction companies, etc, etc, and nobody seems to be able to get it (in the smoke/grey/dark grey color, that is). I finally chased down a single sheet of Plexi today in the dark grey for $120 at a glass company. About twice what the clear runs at Lowes and HD. I suppose I'm going to have to try and find it on line someplace.

Thanks for the help, Terry.

Jim
Jim, try these people, they have it in stock:Transparents Colored Lexan
Old 09-11-2007, 08:15 AM   #223
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Jim, try these people, they have it in stock:Transparents Colored Lexan
This info should be a sticky somewhere. I had the same problem as Jim this spring when I was looking to replace mine.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 02:41 PM   #224
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray
This info should be a sticky somewhere. I had the same problem as Jim this spring when I was looking to replace mine.
Ask and ye shall receive:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f469...tml#post447559
Old 09-16-2007, 04:31 PM   #225
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
T minus 13 days and counting...

Actually, 12 days, 17 hours, 42 minutes, but who's counting?
We can "move in" at noon on the 30th of this month. I've asked my brother to help us with our move. He remembers some of the times he has had to help me move before, like the 57" TV, queen sofa bed, loaded toolboxes, etc. He will be pleasantly surprised when I hand him the electric plug for Bertha, and ask him to plug it in for his part of moving...
The "stuff" we have left now, is some items that we are still undecided whether to take them with us, or get rid of them. Most of these items are in the "memories" category, and we will have to decide how much we need to remember. One thing I found that I am really considering getting, is a digital picture frame. I can scan the photos we are thinking about keeping, and download them into the frame, and cycle through them every few days, weeks, months. A single frame can hold many digitized photos, and would save mucho space and weight. Has anyone else had any experience with them, good or bad? I'd like to hear from you before we put our pictures in one basket.
Old 09-16-2007, 05:26 PM   #226
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Plan "A" never has a chance...

It has been continuing to be excruciatingly slow, business-wise, at work, so I have been working on Bertha at the shop. Basically, I'm washing my car to try to make it rain. This was moderately successful Friday, but I'm getting ahead of myself.
Thursday I was sitting around, trying to keep my desk from blowing away, when my friend with the big brown truck pulled up. And he had a box for me, a big box, all the way from sunny California. After signing for the box, I got it open (the packing people at Inland should make child-proof containers, they'd make a fortune), and found the bits and pieces to make our a/c shroud whole again. To answer a question from another thread, it was gel-coated, and painted white, so all I had to do was assemble the upper and lower parts, and put it on.
I went across the street to the storage lot where we keep Bertha hidden from the hoardes of Airstream addicts, and brought her over. It's nice being able to work on the roof inside, without having to worry about my knees getting burned from the hot aluminum in the sun. I got the old shroud off without much trouble, it just kind of crumbled. I pulled off the aluminum trim strip from around the center, thought to myself "you need to paint the center of that strip so it will look better before you put it on", and pulled off the screen from the rear area. I grabbed a can of silver spray paint and painted the screen, and installed it on the new shroud after the paint dried.
I then got the can of Rustoleum blue paint that I used for the trim on the side of Bertha, so the trim piece on the shroud would match. By now it was time for lunch, so I took a break.
After lunch, I came back, picked up the trim piece, and riveted the trim piece to both halves of the shroud. I then looked at the trim piece, and thought "you should have painted that before you put it on. You better paint it now, before you put it on the trailer, it will be a pain in the tukus to paint afterward." I then grabbed the shroud, picked it up, and carried it over to Bertha, and hoisted it up on the roof. A few minutes, and a few screw holes later, the new shroud was securely installed on Bertha. I then crawled off the roof to admire my handiwork.
Aw, crap.
I then grabbed the can of blue paint and brush, and back up onto the roof I went to paint the trim piece. Only now, instead of being able to do a neat job while on the ground, I had to crawl all the way around the air conditioner, lying on my side, scooting along.
The good news is, you can't really see how bad a paint job I did crawling around on hands and knees. The shroud, though, looks good, and I learned the air conditioner has a new compressor, so maybe it will last a while.
This concluded the festivities for Thursday.

Friday, I was going to install the other contents of the big box, which was a Solardome, in the rear vent position. This is the only factory vent remaining on Bertha, the others had been replaced during the 1980's by the original owners. The vent cover was cracked, and even though it has a Maxx-air cover, it still allowed a lot of warm air in, and cool air to escape. That was what I was going to do Friday, but I guess I had "washed the car" enough that it rained. It rained work, so Friday was a work day, the first of the week.
I left Bertha in the shop overnight, and returned Saturday to replace the vent cover. The Maxx-air cover came off easily, and I unbolted the original 1974 vent cover, which promptly crumbled to plastic dust. The replacement was very straightforward, with the mounting hardware coming with the new cover. I was done in about an hour and a half, and while I had the light cover off the vent housing, I replaced the 6 #1141 bulbs in it. They were old-looking, covered with burned-on dust, and pretty dim. I finished up, and pulled Bertha back over to the hosue to continue the loading process.
We had a typical Florida rain (severe thunderstorm anywhere else), and while I was standing in the kitchen, I felt a drop of water. I looked up, and the center vent cover had warped, and was allowing rain to enter when the wind was blowing. Terrific. So, this morning I went out to remove the offending vent cover, removed the crank handle, and the vent cover emulated the original one I replaced yesterday. Good thing I'm replacing it, huh? I went to Camping World, where for what has to be the first time in history, they were having a sale on, believe it or not, vent covers. Cool! They were $8.99. Maybe I'll get out of this with some change left.
That was not to be. See the title of this post...
"I'm sorry, sir, they haven't made that type of cover in over 15 years".
So much for plan A.
Undeterred, I started looking at replacement vents. All Camping World seems to carry now is the ShurFlo vents. Silver was $129, gold was $189, and platinum was $249. Uhh, I'm on a budget, and I don't have any track record with ShurFlo. Don't you have any Fantastic Fans? The salesman allowed as how he did have a couple, but I really wanted ShurFlo. What Fantastics do they have, and how much are they? He dragged out a Fantastic 8000 from the back room, blew the dust off it, (cough, cough), and said they would sell it for $99. $99? What's wrong with it? Nothing, it's just the base model. We can make it more if you would feel better paying more.
Uh, no. Wrap it up, I'll take it.
So, back to the shop with Bertha, and I started removing the remains of the old vent. Sometimes fate works in strange ways. The vent was made of steel, or what was left of it was, but most of the housing under the gobs of silicone, goo, and other unidentifiable adhesives and sealers, had rusted away to nothing. I scraped the remains off, cut the wires, bedded the new fan down (it is plastic, not steel, so no rust worries there), and hooked everything up. It works as intended, the fan has 3 speeds out, none in, no extra sensors of anything, and the cover is solid white, not the smoke lexan, or transluscent white. But 1-It works, and 2-it doesn't leak.
When we get a little more stable financially, Fantastic has said they will sell me upgrade parts to make this one do everything the better ones do, without a remote (which I don't want anyway).
And, of course, with all this stuff, I didn't remember to take a single picture. I'll have to take a couple of pictures next time I visit Bertha.
Old 09-18-2007, 06:02 PM   #227
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Here are the promised pictures. When I got to Bertha this afternoon, it was looking like a third evening of severe thunderstorms and tornadoes. Still not sure if it is going to storm, it hasn't cleared up yet, still gloom and doom.
Anyway, here are the best pictures, the one of the Solardome didn't turn out, but may e you can see something of it:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 196.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	45612   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 197.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	45613  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 198.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	45614  
Old 09-18-2007, 11:53 PM   #228
4 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
, Michigan
Send a message via AIM to eikel1we
You're doing a great job of readying your new home! Bertha's looking pretty sharp these days.

I see you have the same roof vents as ours. We need 2 (may as well get 3) new 3-way light switches. I bought one at Jackson Center but when Ike tried to install it today and it wouldn't fit. Even fashioning a new holding bracket didn't work. Now I have to horse around with a return - hope I can find the receipt. At $25 ea., does that seem a bit expensive? Of course that's a better deal than the one you have that won't work.
Say, do you have the little eyeball lights mounted on each side under the overheads above the front window? One of the super tiny pins that holds the off/on turn button on came out, can't be found and there is no way to put the button on. Of course, the light can't be used and they really are handy and a necessity to have.

Does anyone have any ideas on our switch problems??

sue
2004 GMC Yukon XL 2500
Michigan - "middle of the mitt"
eikel1we is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 12:30 AM   #229
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Colville , Washington
Terry - sorry to hijack your thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by eikel1we
You're doing a great job of readying your new home! Bertha's looking pretty sharp these days.

I see you have the same roof vents as ours. We need 2 (may as well get 3) new 3-way light switches. I bought one at Jackson Center but when Ike tried to install it today and it wouldn't fit. Even fashioning a new holding bracket didn't work. Now I have to horse around with a return - hope I can find the receipt. At $25 ea., does that seem a bit expensive? Of course that's a better deal than the one you have that won't work.
Say, do you have the little eyeball lights mounted on each side under the overheads above the front window? One of the super tiny pins that holds the off/on turn button on came out, can't be found and there is no way to put the button on. Of course, the light can't be used and they really are handy and a necessity to have.

sue
See this thread: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f206...ons-18532.html
Post #3,10,12,13,14

The Ace Hardware switch doesn't have the split stem as pictured in the auction, but it's a great 3-way replacement in my '64.
2001 Honda XR650R
Currently Looking...for an Avion Truck Camper (or a Classic Argosy MoHo)

"In regione caecorum rex est luscus." GP
GreatPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 05:18 AM   #230
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by eikel1we

sue
Sue, the light fixture around the vent in the picture really had to be worked with to get it in place. I had to drill the light switch hole out larger, as well as the hole for the vent crank. Then, I had to really shove to get the two to attach. It helps if you leave the fixture out in the sun for an hour or two, it makes it more pliable.
As for the switch, you can use a simple push button for the corner ligts, or even a small toggle switch, thos particular lights are not 3 ways.
I've also installed a pair of 18" single-tube 120v flourescent lights up on top of the valance for the windows near the front. It gives more even light in the area, especially since the PO changed the vent, and removed the light fixture when they did that.
Old 09-19-2007, 05:20 AM   #231
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatPumpkin
See this thread: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f206...ons-18532.html
Post #3,10,12,13,14

The Ace Hardware switch doesn't have the split stem as pictured in the auction, but it's a great 3-way replacement in my '64.
The 3 way switches in the vents of the 70's trailers also hold the covers on, that is, they are held up themselves, and the center threaded part holds up the cover.
Old 09-19-2007, 10:04 AM   #232
4 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
, Michigan
Send a message via AIM to eikel1we
Rivet Replacement Light Switch

Thanks GP and Terry - the "forums friends" always come through! I'm hoping with your advise and hints that Ike can get this little problem fixed. Terry, I might have to pm you on the eyeball light. I'll have a look at it and see if we understand your direction of push button & toggle for replacement.

Again, thanks
sue
2004 GMC Yukon XL 2500
Michigan - "middle of the mitt"
eikel1we is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 01:30 PM   #233
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Central , Ohio
Terry, I think your idea of a digital photo frame is a great idea. They usually run off of a memory card of some sort (SD or other), so if the frame breaks, you just put the card in something else.

I would strongly suggest that you make a couple backups of your photo data (DVD, etc.) and store them in other locations (family members' houses, safe deposit box at your bank, etc.) just in case. Be aware (if you aren't already) that CD-type media (CDs, DVDs, other disks) can degrade over time and with handling, so be careful there.

Another thing about pics and safe deposit boxes - when you get moved in and everything in its place, you should take very detailed pictures (including inside closets, etc.) for insurance. If something does happen, it will be a lot easier to hand them a sheaf of pictures and say, "Here's everything that was involved." You will have a ton of pics of your resto on this forum, but you will need contents photos, too.

I'll bet you're getting excited! Your big adventure is about to begin!!!!

Susan

1984 310 Limited Motor Home "The Rockin' A"
Alumatube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 03:56 PM   #234
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
T Minus 6 days and counting...

Today we started loading Bertha in earnest, scurrying back and forth between the house and the Airstream like ants whose anthill just got kicked. Of course, it started raining, umm, monsooning midway through the process. I've never moved when I haven't gotten rained on at some point.
Of course, now that most of our stuff is inside, and I have said how there are no visible leaks, I found two dooseys. One is the Fantastic Fan I installed last Sunday, the other is going to be harder to track down. It seems to be near the rear vent, and is running down the inside, and saturating my mattress. I went to Camping World today, and got some goop to (I hope) stop the leaks. The leak around the Fantastic should be an easy one, just slather on some more sealant. The other leak is going to be harder, as I can't get on the roof here (the ladder is at work).
All other repairs and upgrades are functioning within specified parameters. The only thing currently not working is the fresh water holding tank and water pump. The furnace is a lost cause, but I am not planning to replace it. Between the catalytic heater and two ceramic/electric heaters, things should be very toasty. Especially in a locale where the temps rarely dip below 65. I think we'll stop running the air conditioning about mid-January, and start it up again around the end of February.
But I digress...
Everything that should be in the trailer is now in the trailer, with the exception of our clothing and toilet articles. Video tapes, CD's, DVD's, and photographs are in a box by the front door in the house. I was saved from having to secure the piano when it was discovered it would not fit through the entry door.
Among the things I am happy to not need a home for, are the lawn mower, weedeater, pruning shears, and a host of other similar items...
Old 09-23-2007, 04:22 PM   #235
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Hey Terry, could it be from the AC or the AC vent tube?
Happy Travels!
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 06:31 PM   #236
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Ms75Argosy
Hey Terry, could it be from the AC or the AC vent tube?
Happy Travels!
Marc
Marc, it's for sure not the drain tube. It would be blowing water all over the coach if it were leaking from that (ask how I know).
It could be from the air conditioner itself, since I did mess with it. I resealed the outside of the Fantastic Fan today, time will tell if that fixed it, or just wasted my time. We seem to be in a cycle of daily monsoons, so I shouldn't have long to wait.
Old 09-24-2007, 06:41 PM   #237
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
No more Age of Aquarium.

Today was yet another slow day at work (it is disquieting), so I tackled something that has been bothering me. That something is the water sloshing around in the left wing window. I opened the rock guard, and found a small drill bit, and drilled two holes at about a 45 degree angle toward the edge of the glass. When I got to the glass, I removed the bit, and inserted a straightened paper clip into the holes, and finagled it in between the window panes. I was rewarded by a slow drip of water from the holes. Since it was late, and I don't know when to quit while I'm ahead, I grabbed an air nozzle, and blew high pressure air into one hole from about 6 inches way. I noticed a few air bubbles in the water between the glass panes, and water started coming out of the other hole I had drilled and opened. About 15 minutes later, the window was devoid of water.
I'll leave the holes open for a while (they are both at the bottom of the window), and maybe the water droplets left in there will evaporate. I can dream, can't I?
Old 09-26-2007, 08:35 PM   #238
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
T Minus 3 days and counting...

Today Marie went to the RV park where we will be wintering to pay the balance on the site we have reserved, and was suprised by two things:
1-new management, and,
2-a doubling of the rent.
After Marie produced the paperwork signed by previous management, they allowed as they would honor the agreement, but it is supposed to be $765/month for sites there, instead of $400. "But you get 5 months free"... I guess they want you to stay the whole year to get the better rate, I can't see paying more for a campsite than you can currently rent almost any duplex in the county. Rent the duplex, park the Airstream in the driveway, and live in the Airstream, and leave the duplex vacant, it would be cheaper.
I guess I am having sticker shock, for some reason I thought it would cost somewhat less to live in our trailer than to rent a house. Has anybody else seen this? Being able to move around is great, but sheesh.
Old 09-26-2007, 08:40 PM   #239
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Rent the duplex, park the Airstream in the driveway, and live in the Airstream, and leave the duplex vacant, it would be cheaper.
Terry,

Better yet, park in the driveway and sub-let the duplex out. It could be a profit making deal for you

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 07:32 AM   #240
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Good morning,

As you can see from Terry's posts, Bertha is almost loaded and ready to live in. I feel like we are trying to stuff 10 pds of sausage in a 2 pd casing. Had to whittle the clothes down again, because when I went to work in the main office for hospice, I had to buy a few business type clothes, but now that I am working in an Encore ALF, I'm back in uniforms. So, some one who shops at Goodwill, will get some nice clothes at a good price!

Of course, we still have cookie's collection of toys she stoll from the poodle, and chew bones she has been hoarding!.. A few items in the kitchen and the groceries we are taking.

Today, before I go to work, I am cleaning the oven and the refridgerator in the house, and have each day scheduled to clean a room or other chore. I want the house we are living in to be spotless before we leave.

The lady at Sun n Shade, were we will be staying was very nice, and after I told her the saga, she said they would honor the agreement with the prior manager, which was very good because I would have had a nervous break down right there in her office and it woud not have been a pretty sight. The sight we will be on is #13, and is one of the prettier sights in my humble opion.

Moving is scheduled for 12:01 Sunday afternoon, and I will spend Monday morning lounging in bed until at least 7:30 am!!!!

Have a wonderful day.

Marie

Tags
1974 sovereign, travel