Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Full-Timing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-02-2007, 07:03 AM   #201
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
As the mother of the groom, I got the biggest request from the bride any mother could get. We were up in Holiday the middle of August and of course Dorey (dtr in law) and I were in the bedroom looking at and crying over the wedding dress, and she was telling me she didn't know how she was going to transport it to NC since it had to hang up to keep from wrinkling. I reminded here we were taking Bertha and she asked if we could transport the dresses. I will empty my closet and hang the dresses in it for the trip. Her mother was very pleased to learn of the solution and called to thank me. Personally I think it is an honor to be asked!!!

We, again, are spending the weekend loading Bertha. It's not that we have that much stuff left, but we are gradually loading it and putting stuff away as we take it out there, plus taking lots of breaks to relax. Still weeding and tossing, making decisions and moving stuff about.

Things we put away last week are getting moved about and I'm sure it will happen next weekend also. This is gonna be the easiest move we have ever done. Load the house, pull it to the campground on moving day, unhook and plug in, done (short short version) probably won't even break a sweat.

Well, speaking of loading, better get busy.

Marie
Old 09-02-2007, 07:06 AM   #202
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
T Minus 29 days and counting...

Friday after work, I went across the street to pick up Bertha, and bring her over to the mobile home park where we are staying, to start loading "stuff".
Of course, it was raining cats and dogs, I had to drive carefully to avoid the poodles... After dropping the trailer (in the rain), and hooking up electric (in the rain) and water (in the rain), and turning on the LP (in the rain), and lowering the stabilizers (still raining), and turning on the a/c, fridge, etc, it stopped raining. Anyone not surprised by this, raise your hand...
After getting into some dry clothes, I went back out, and deployed the awnings to help the a/c cool the interior. I then wnet in and got the first box of "stuff" to be stowed in Bertha. On the way back out, I walked into the awning arm. *WHACK!* "Argh!" That hurt... As soon as I could see again, I finished carrying the box inside Bertha, and stowed the "stuff". On the way back out, I made a left turn, and *WHACK!* "ARGHH!" As soon as the dizziness passed, I went on in, and got another box. I came out, missed the awning arm this time, and put the box inside the trailer.
Last weekend, I let you know I had found a solution to the overwarm pantry area. The fridge had been running a while, so I checked the temp inside the pantry. It is about 5 degrees warmer than the room temp (80 inside the pantry, 75 inside the coach), so it looks like it is a good fix. I love it when my engineering edumacashun pays off.
I then went back for another box o' "stuff", and since it had been more than 2 minutes since I'd done it, *WHACK!* "Argh! Oh, my head!..."
I picked myself up off the ground, picked up the box, muttered (loudly) about the probable genetic origins of the awning arm, and went back for another box. I got a phone call while in the house, and a few minutes later, again came around the corner with yet another box in my hands. *WHACK!* "ARGHH! SONUFA***..." Okay, I've had enough, I don't care how hot it is in the trailer, the awning is getting put back. I dropped the box inside, came out, and rolled up the awning. There, dammit! That'll teach it! I smugly turned around, took two steps, and walked into the side mirror on the truck. *WHACK* "ARGH! ^&*&%$%&**..." Okay, stick a fork in me, I'm done for today.
A few minutes later, Marie got home from work. She looked at Bertha, and said, " I thought you were going to open the awnings on Bertha, did you forget? Your forehead has lumps on it. Did you hit your head? Why are you looking at me like that?"
And so it goes...
Old 09-02-2007, 07:27 AM   #203
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Ever since we got our new fridge, I've noticed it doesn't cool as well as I think a new fridge should, especially on LP. Yesterday, I started looking seriously into the problem, as it's only a matter of a very few weeks until we need it to work. I pulled the shield off the burner area, and noticed a small thumbweel valve by the gas shutoff solenoid. It had a line scribed on it, and the word "off" stampred on the fitting, almost exactly where the line was. I turned the thumbwheel as far away from "off" as I could get it, and was rewarded by the louder sound of the burner. The inside of the fridge went from 65 yesterday afternoon, to just over 40 by this morning. I think I would rather drink a glass of milk stored in the fridge now, before I really had serious doubts.
At least it was an easy fix, it kind of makes up for thhe lumps I've taken over the last couple of days.
Old 09-02-2007, 11:21 AM   #204
4 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
, Michigan
Send a message via AIM to eikel1we
Lightbulb Whack ! @#$^%&*(&

.......*WHACK* "ARGH! ^&*&%$%&**..." Okay, stick a fork in me, I'm done for today.
A few minutes later, Marie got home from work. She looked at Bertha, and said, " I thought you were going to open the awnings on Bertha, did you forget? Your forehead has lumps on it. Did you hit your head? Why are you looking at me like that?"
And so it goes...[/quote]

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Two words - pool noodles (colored noodles or maybe the less visable gray foam pipe insulation) Noodles can be slit with an exacto/sharp blade and applied to the awning arms. GT1969 (or is it GT1963?) put some noodle pcs on square, sharp window corners after hubby walked around the AS right into an open window. The forehead abraision has now healed and the bright yellow foam remains in place when the window(s) are open. I usually hang a short wind sock from the arm nearest the door to draw attention.
< Watch out for those head bangers >

Bertha has come a long way - must run in the family! Best wishes as the adventure moves forward.

sue
2004 GMC Yukon XL 2500
Michigan - "middle of the mitt"
eikel1we is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 05:53 PM   #205
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Thanks, Sue. I'll try a noodle to save the ol' noodle.
Old 09-02-2007, 06:02 PM   #206
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
The furnace...

Since we are planning to go to a slightly cooler climate this fall, I thought I would look and see why the furnace was isolated from the LP system. I got on hands and knees, opened the outer access door, opened the inner access door (sounds like opening an airlock) and took a closer look. I was in here a couple of months ago, but I was merely making sure everything was there.
This time, I noticed a repair tag on the LP line leading into the furnace. Hmmm, it's been out, I wonder if it just wasn't hooked back up?
I tried unscrewing the inspection cap, and discovered it wouldn't budge, not even a little. Undaunted, I grabbed a pair of channel lock pliers, and tried again. I was rewarded by the entire cap, as well as a good part of the end of the combustion chamber, breaking off in my hand. I guess I know why it isn't hooked up...
Tomorrow, since we are closed for Labor Day, I'll labor at isolating the furnace from the catalytic heater, so we have something to keep from freezing in the arctic wasteland of North Carolina...
Old 09-03-2007, 09:55 AM   #207
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
This morning I unhooked the furnace from the catalytic heater, hooked up the LP line where it had been disconnected under the coach, and hooked up the LP line to the heater.
I turned on the LP again, waited a couple of minutes, turned on the valve, and hit the igniter. The heater lit in about two seconds. I tried both the single brick and double brick heating configurations, ten turned the heat off, and the pilot only on. Then tried again, and turned everything off, then relit and back on. It was about the easiest repair I have accomplished to date, total repair time was 20 minutes, including crawling under Bertha to hook up the line there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 171.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	44325   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 174.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	44326  

Old 09-03-2007, 02:16 PM   #208
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
At last, some inexpensive repairs are bing completed. After I got the catalytic heater working, I took the grill off the front, and cleaned it with a Brillo pad. It looks pretty good without all the accumulated scum of years on it. I was so happy with the results, I then did the same with the chromed interior reflector cover, and it also came out looking almost new.
Once, I told all y'all about the new radio I put in, to take the place of the tired one that was in Bertha when we acquired her. After I got the new tv antenna installed, the radio wouldn't pick up any stations. It seems the tv antenna also was the radio antenna. So, rather than have a cool radio we can't use, I went to the auto parts store, and picked up a radio antenna for an import car. This one not only had a 90 degree mount at the base, it also had a second mount to keep the antenna from waving in the breeze. Pefrect for what we need for our trailers. I bored a 7/16" hole through the side of Bertha near the radio location, put a dab of Vulkem where the hole was, ran the antenna lead inside, and drilled a second hole for the mounting screw. I then put in te second mount, went inside, hooked the antenna up to the radio, and music poured forth from the speakers. I realized how important a working radio is, when I heard a rumble, and looked up to see purple clouds looming nearly on top of me. I went back into the trailer, and they weather service was broadcasting a severe thunderstorm warning on the radio. I snapped a couple of pictures of the new antenna, and one of the storm overhead. It's again raining cats and dogs here, but thanks to the newly funciontal radio, I am safe and dry inside the house.
Here are the pictures of the antenna, and the ominous storm clouds:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Picture 177.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	44334   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 178.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	44335  

Name:	Picture 179.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	44336  
Old 09-09-2007, 02:16 PM   #209
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
On The Dark Side

No, I didn't join Darth Vader, but I did tint the windows on Bertha this weekend.
I started Friday, using 25% limo tint, with 37% heat deflection. All the windows I did look good, except for the bathroom window (you know, the one everyone sees when they run up on you on the road). I removed each window, cleaned the glass and frames thoroughly, applied the thint, and after it had "set" for a few minutes, I reinstalled the window, and moved on to the next one. This worked well, except for the aforementioned bathroom window. It turns out that in order to remove that window, I would have to remove the awning over the window, creating more work than one guy can do on a mini stepladder. Since I was by myself, I opted to try putting the tint on with the window in place. I can add this to the things I have done that are not the smartest choices I have made. I got window cleaner all over me, and the tinting film fell on my head, and wrapped around my arms. I can tell you, the glue that holds the film on the windows really sticks to the hair on my arms. By the time I got done, I felt like I had starred in a Laurel and Hardy movie, with glue all over me, I was sticking to everything I touched, and the only thing that didn't stick was, naturally, the window tint to the window. It is in, and looks acceptable, from 50 feet away, as long as it is dark, and you squint real hard through one eye, and jump up and down while viewing. I think I will have a professional redo that window as soon as we can afford it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Picture 180.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	44866   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 182.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	44867  

Name:	Picture 183.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	44868   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 184.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	44869  

Old 09-09-2007, 07:00 PM   #210
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
T minus 20 days and counting...

Today, in addition to the Window Film Follies, I retrieved a small Rubbermaid utility shed to carry with us (it's really, really small) to store our generator and off-season clothing in, and moved it to the shop I am working at. It stands about 5 feet tall, and about 2 feet wide, and 18 inches deep. Pretty much just big enough for the Honda, a can of gas, and 3, maybe 4, plastic Wal-Mart totes.
We also packed some more "stuff" in the house to move to the Airstream next weekend when I can bring it back here. I did a survey of the window gaskets wile I had the windows out, and it looks like we will be needing new gaskets for the windows, and all the access doors all around Bertha. It still seems odd, even after several decades of living here, this late in the season to still be running the air conditioner, and having temps in the 100's inside the steel building where I work. The gaskets will hopefully help keep the cool air inside the trailer, instead of cooling off the neighborhood. Bertha started out as a 74 model, by the time we get done rehabbing the trailer, it will be about an 82.
There are still things that need to be done, like replacing the leaking fresh water tank, removing the furnace, replacing the main and rear awning fabric, replacing the a/c shroud, and replacing the broken tambours in the kitchen and bedroom. However, Bertha is pretty much road-ready, as long as we don't want to take showers while boondocking. If nothing else, I won't get bored anytime soon.
Old 09-09-2007, 07:18 PM   #211
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Central , Ohio
Terry, since you will be toting around most of your worldy possessions, don't forget to get very good insurance! Both on the trailer and on the contents. I'm sure you have covered this step already, but just in case...

Nice job on the tint! And the bathroom window looks great! /squinting one eye, closing one eye, and jumping up and down on one foot/

Susan

1984 310 Limited Motor Home "The Rockin' A"
Alumatube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 07:25 PM   #212
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alumatube
Terry, since you will be toting around most of your worldy possessions, don't forget to get very good insurance! Both on the trailer and on the contents. I'm sure you have covered this step already, but just in case...

Nice job on the tint! And the bathroom window looks great! /squinting one eye, closing one eye, and jumping up and down on one foot/

Susan
Thanks for reminding me. I have the trailer and contents insured to the hilt, but we will need fulltimer's insurance once we move into Bertha long-term. The insurance for now is pretty inexpensive, $10,000 coverage, with $50,000 liability in addition to the tow vehicle's liability, loss of use, comp, collision, contents of $3300, and a couple of other minor things, for $120./year. $250 deductible. Fulltimer's insurance includes liability for while it is parked in addition to the above, in case the neighbor's snotty kid runs into the hitch, and puts an eye out.
Old 09-09-2007, 07:28 PM   #213
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Central , Ohio
That is a good price for the coverage, in my opinion!

Does it cover medical intervention for window tint glue adhesion to skin??? :P

Susan

1984 310 Limited Motor Home "The Rockin' A"
Alumatube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 05:34 AM   #214
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alumatube

Does it cover medical intervention for window tint glue adhesion to skin??? :P

Susan
I'll give them a call, and find out...as soon as I get the phone unstuck from my hand...
Old 09-10-2007, 06:33 AM   #215
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Terry, I'm thinking of replacing the "sunglasses" on mine with simple plexiglass and some of that stick on window stuff similar to what you used (the old sunglasses are completely shot). I was told by the guy at Lowes over the weekend that they make window tint that is made to go on the outside of the glass for automotive applications. Have you ever seen anything like that?

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 11:21 AM   #216
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
i seem to remember a recent post that someone bought tint film that clings by static to the outside. i think it was from a big box store.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 01:46 PM   #217
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Unless window tint and Plexiglass have change in the last few years, the tint won't stay attached. I think the plexi keeps outgassing for quite a long time and will blow bubbles of ever increasing size beneath the film.

It ends up looking like my Vista Views...
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 01:52 PM   #218
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
... On the way back out, I walked into the awning arm. *WHACK!* "Argh!" That hurt... As soon as I could see again, I finished carrying the box inside Bertha, and stowed the "stuff". On the way back out, I made a left turn, and *WHACK!* "ARGHH!" As soon as the dizziness passed, I went on in, and got another box. ...

THREE WORDS - Foam Pipe Insulation!
1) deploy awning
2) Put a piece of foam pipe insulation around each awning arm
3) you'll still hit it, but it won't hurt so effin' much!

Paula
Old 09-10-2007, 02:07 PM   #219
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Rivet Safety Padding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again
THREE WORDS - Foam Pipe Insulation!
1) deploy awning
2) Put a piece of foam pipe insulation around each awning arm
3) you'll still hit it, but it won't hurt so effin' much!

Paula
And that hook under your TV hood that gashes your head — tennis ball with a hole in it to slip on.
Old 09-10-2007, 03:43 PM   #220
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Susan
Terry, I'm thinking of replacing the "sunglasses" on mine with simple plexiglass and some of that stick on window stuff similar to what you used (the old sunglasses are completely shot). I was told by the guy at Lowes over the weekend that they make window tint that is made to go on the outside of the glass for automotive applications. Have you ever seen anything like that?

Jim
Jim, Lexan would be a better choice for the sunglasses. I used plain plexi on a skylight, and it cracked and fell to pieces in a year and a half. The outside tint isn't that great, it tends to peel off after a few months.
The Lexan is what comes in the sunglasses from the factory, if you get a sheet, make sure it is scratch resistant on both sides. Obviously, it is available in smoke tint.

Tags
1974 sovereign, travel