Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Full-Timing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-11-2017, 05:33 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Gibbstown , New Jersey
The dream is becoming a reality!

Hi everyone,

It's been a while since I last posted and I wanted to share our exciting news! My husband and I officially put our house on the market last week and accepted an offer yesterday If all goes well, we should close by mid-August. And that means we are one giant step closer to Airstream living!

We still owe a decent amount on our mortgage but the profit should cover the cost of a tow vehicle. And then we will need to figure out what we can spend on an airstream. We will be staying with my husband's parents while we figure out the logistics and save some money.

I'm a little nervous to go 'too old' with the AS since it will be our full-time home but I suppose figuring out the year and model is the fun part!

Thanks for reading!

-Britt
briggits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 06:12 AM   #2
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
Congrats! We are 41 days in an loving it!

BTW, choose the trailer THEN the tow vehicle. Otherwise get a tow vehicle that will tow any Airstream. Don't want to buy a tow vehicle and find out it's too small.
Old 07-11-2017, 06:44 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Gibbstown , New Jersey
Scott,

Very true! Thank you. Enjoy your adventure!
Old 07-11-2017, 07:09 AM   #4
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
Congrats I like my airstream better than my house!
TravlinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 07:11 AM   #5
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Just curious........have the two of you ever live in a tiny space before and is there any possibility of little tiny legs running around.

The reason I ask is that people sometimes have this preconceived notion that living in a trailer is just wonderful......it can be, if you're getting along.......if not, you have nowhere to go to get some space.

Before you take this massive leap I'd buy the cheapest trailer I could that was livable and live in it while at his parents; if things go well, get an Airstream and renovate it or whatever; if not then no big lose.

Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 07:16 AM   #6
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
My wife and I couldn't live together in a big old house let alone a trailer! That's exactly why I bought the Airstream! Now we get along just fine.
Old 07-11-2017, 12:38 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Hillsboro , Texas
We are 1 year 4 months into full time and LOVE it!
Alot of thing to be aware of before you begin your journey, if you would like to IM me I might have some useful tips for you.

The Airstream community is amazing

Meschelle
meschelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 01:52 PM   #8
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Congratulations !!!

I would suggest that you get a pretty good idea of what trailer you will have before committing to a TV. It's not a "one size fits all" kind of thing. A TV that makes sense for a 22' Sport, may not be ideal for a 33' Classic. There appears to be a limited pile of cash. Overspending on a TV (or just as bad buying one that's not right and trading it in) is not uncommon.

On both the TV and the trailer there is the new / used debate. You most certainly will save money up front buying a 4 year old TV or a 10 year old trailer. In either case if you get a solid one, things will likely go pretty well. Care is needed in both cases to be sure you don't get somebody else's problem child.

If buying new, the truck on the dealer's lot is likely to be loaded with options you don't want / need. Ordering one in can save you a pile of money if you go with something like a gas powered 2WD. Fine for towing, not what the dealer is trying to sell....

The trailer sounds like it will be very much a "what can you afford" sort of thing. There will be "stuff" to get you going once you get in the trailer. Don't spend the whole pile up front. If buying new or used there can be surprises. I'd have a bigger pile in reserve if I went used / used.

Lots of complex, but fun decisions !!!

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 02:04 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Gibbstown , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
Just curious........have the two of you ever live in a tiny space before and is there any possibility of little tiny legs running around.

The reason I ask is that people sometimes have this preconceived notion that living in a trailer is just wonderful......it can be, if you're getting along.......if not, you have nowhere to go to get some space.

Before you take this massive leap I'd buy the cheapest trailer I could that was livable and live in it while at his parents'; if things go well, get an Airstream and renovate it or whatever; if not then no big lose.
Hi! Thanks for your suggestions. We don't and won't have kids I'm definitely trying to look at the AS lifestyle objectively and plan accordingly so I appreciate any and all feedback.

My husband and I have thought about buying a Casita to begin but our highest income for the foreseeable future is now. Once we begin full-timing, we will have less money and we worry we'll get 'stuck' in the Casita.
Old 07-11-2017, 02:08 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Gibbstown , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
Just curious........have the two of you ever live in a tiny space before
Whoops, forgot to answer this part of your question. We have a small 2 bedroom 1 bathroom house now so perhaps less space than some are used to but this is still a mansion compared to an AS I'm sure lol. Though, the wardrobes in the 23/25 footers are bigger than our bedroom closets so that'll be an upgrade
Old 07-11-2017, 02:10 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Gibbstown , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravlinMan View Post
My wife and I couldn't live together in a big old house let alone a trailer! That's exactly why I bought the Airstream! Now we get along just fine.
hahaha.
Old 07-11-2017, 02:10 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Gibbstown , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by meschelle View Post
We are 1 year 4 months into full time and LOVE it!
Alot of thing to be aware of before you begin your journey, if you would like to IM me I might have some useful tips for you.

The Airstream community is amazing

Meschelle
That's so kind! I'll be in touch
Old 07-11-2017, 02:15 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Gibbstown , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

Congratulations !!!

I would suggest that you get a pretty good idea of what trailer you will have before committing to a TV. It's not a "one size fits all" kind of thing. A TV that makes sense for a 22' Sport, may not be ideal for a 33' Classic. There appears to be a limited pile of cash. Overspending on a TV (or just as bad buying one that's not right and trading it in) is not uncommon.

On both the TV and the trailer there is the new / used debate. You most certainly will save money up front buying a 4 year old TV or a 10 year old trailer. In either case if you get a solid one, things will likely go pretty well. Care is needed in both cases to be sure you don't get somebody else's problem child.

If buying new, the truck on the dealer's lot is likely to be loaded with options you don't want / need. Ordering one in can save you a pile of money if you go with something like a gas powered 2WD. Fine for towing, not what the dealer is trying to sell....

The trailer sounds like it will be very much a "what can you afford" sort of thing. There will be "stuff" to get you going once you get in the trailer. Don't spend the whole pile up front. If buying new or used there can be surprises. I'd have a bigger pile in reserve if I went used / used.

Lots of complex, but fun decisions !!!

Bob
Thanks Bob, these are some great suggestions! We are undecided about the trailer. We are really interested in the 23 & 25 foot ones and would be looking for a used one. My husband has been researching tow vehicles so I will have to ask him which ones he's most interested in and report back.

Unless we go VERY used on the AS, we will most likely take out a loan for it and try to pay it off (fairly) quickly. I have used Light Stream loans in the past because you can pay the dealer/owner cash and the interest rate is quite low, in my opinion, if you have good credit.

Still so many variables! Thanks again for your suggestions
Old 07-11-2017, 02:51 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
2014 30' Classic
Princeton , Iowa
Congratulations

Wish you the best of luck.
larryglarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 03:39 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

Newcastle , Oklahoma
Get a 3/4 ton quad cab diesel for the TV. It will pull anything you buy and get decent fuel mileage. There is no replacement for torque. You can put a fiberglass topper on the bed and use it for storage and lock it up. If you shop around you can find a good diesel pickup at a reasonable price. If you find one with less than 100k miles it will last for ever if you take care of it.

Good Luck & Have Fun
MC
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 03:54 PM   #16
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

If you will be financing the trailer, find out ahead of time what they will and will not work with you on. Many banks have a "7 years old" cutoff on what they will finance. When you find something you want, the deal likely will need to be done quickly. Having a finance issue is *not* something you want to run into at the last moment.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 08:22 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
Temple , Texas
We sold our house last summer and moved into our renovated 1971 Sovereign 31'. We are loving the simpler mobile lifestyle. We spent the last 5 weeks in the mountains of northeast New Mexico. We do not miss our big house and all of the stuff that went along with it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cm1.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	509.5 KB
ID:	289338  
TxDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 08:45 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Texas City , Texas
my dream became reality!

the dream is possible....so keep the faith! i have been planning this moment for a long time and finally purchased my 1970 27ft. Overlander this past weekend! Now, onto the next step which i need some guidance with.....my new home needs tires, brakes and axles.....can someone recommend what brands to get in each of those? i will be doing some moderate traveling so i don't want any problems and peace of mind that my home and i are safe. it doesn't have to be the best of the best but pretty close as i want quality and durability ! I am in uncharted territory here, so If anyone has any suggestions, i would appreciate them!!
thank you !
teri
terirdh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 07:49 AM   #19
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by terirdh View Post
the dream is possible....so keep the faith! i have been planning this moment for a long time and finally purchased my 1970 27ft. Overlander this past weekend! Now, onto the next step which i need some guidance with.....my new home needs tires, brakes and axles.....can someone recommend what brands to get in each of those? i will be doing some moderate traveling so i don't want any problems and peace of mind that my home and i are safe. it doesn't have to be the best of the best but pretty close as i want quality and durability ! I am in uncharted territory here, so If anyone has any suggestions, i would appreciate them!!
thank you !
teri
Hi Teri. Congratulations ya may wanna start a new thread cause a lot of folks may miss your question buried in another topic.

There are lotsa threads on axles, tires and brakes here, many people have many different opinions and there may be some things that are specific to your model of trailer

Good luck.
Old 07-12-2017, 07:53 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by terirdh View Post
. . .
. . . so If anyone has any suggestions, i would appreciate them!!
thank you !
teri
Echoing the recent comment from TravlinMan, you may receive better feedback by starting your own thread(s).

Here is an Overlander Forum, which has sub-forums by year:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f22/

This would be one logical place to post, as would the specific repair forums.

Good luck and have fun!

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote