Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2021, 10:09 AM   #21

Currently Looking...
Santa Monica , California
planning is key

Before the Airstream kitchen, I had experience cooking on sailboats, so it was a step up size wise! Cooking in our vintage 80's Excella was just a matter of planning. Keeping a pantry of basics, flour sugar, spices, canned goods, in small sizes as you note.
My favorite Thanksgivings were with family, in our Airstream, with the trees changing colors outside. The little Magic Chef oven fit a 14-16 lb turkey, sides would be cooked sequentially, and the pie crust rolled out on the folding table with a handy wine bottle.

Being organized and also thinking outside of the box, all the while camped in a beautiful setting- wonderful memories.
LakeIsabella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 10:31 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
You are 100%... on the way to a perfect 110%

[QUOTE=nmzouk;2530788]When we first got our 23’ Airstream Safari SE, it was our only home. Many people think of them as “campers”, but it was never camping to us. Both of us had done real camping, including backpacking. Carrying everything you need into a remote canyon is camping. Flush toilets, TV, a microwave! This is not camping. As for that silly neologism “glamping”, please spare me.
Our 2006 23 foot Safari also had the small Dometic and the Ice Box within the Refer. The refrigerator was small, but we lived well and did not suffer...

We are ALWAYS on Propane when away from home. We cool down the Dometic at home to cool it down to temperature... and the Propane is EXCELLENT and you get good with settings at 3 to 4 to maintain perfect temperatures. (25 and 27 footer)

The 25 and 27 foot Airstreams have separate Refer and Ice Box... just wonderful.

Being organized and maintaining just enough excess is perfect. Janet is on the same experience track. I cannot find anything easily. Nancy knows where everything is stored in the Interior of our Airstream.. down to walnuts for salads.

I am the outside person. If a wheel is missing... I notice. If we are low in salt... I would not have a clue. I know where the corn chips and salsa are... Great post... and many people cannot read a long post. It was a real treat for ME and I asked Nancy to read it... as the two of you are both very detailed orientated.
Old 09-01-2021, 02:57 PM   #23
1 Rivet Member

2004 19' Bambi
Houston , Texas
I love this kind of post. I have lived in my 19' Bambi with my 100 lb lab/shepherd mix since June 10th in McAllen, Tx, volunteering at the Humanitarian Respite Center. It has been a blessing in so many ways.
As a single 78 year old woman, I now feel competent in managing my Airstream. I have fixed roofleaks (very carefully after watching YouTube), faucet leaks and a/c condensate problems (finally!). I had replaced my toilet with a Nature's Head compost toliet, which I love. No more black tank. My oven provides storage for a toaster oven and bread. The previous owner had put shelving in the small hanging closet so that provides space for cookware. Yocice Wall Mounted Shoes Rack (Amazon) on the inside of that door keeps my shoes out of the way. I use Starbucks Via Instant to replace all the coffee paraphernalia and a tiny crockpot for soups. When weather is cooler I hope to learn how to use my Cobb grill. A microwave sits atop the refrigerator. I just learned this week that a DampRid container in the refrigerator almost eliminates defrosting plus acts as a air freshener. A 2" by 3' board under the mattress head makes it much easier to get out of bed. I tossed my top sheet and sleep under a soft comforter. Relefree Microfiber Towel 60"X30" , Fast Drying, Super Absorbent hangs inside my bathroom door and no need for bulky towels. My TV is a Honda Ridgeline which had a 60qt compartment under the bed which holds all my tools. I am a happy camper!
NancyJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 03:23 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

1998 31' Excella 1000
Simpsonville , South Carolina
Janet, where did you get all those Tic. Tac. containers from ?
sctinman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 03:57 PM   #25
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
I put out the call to mint addicted friends to save their containers but you can buy them from container suppliers and something similar is used by jewelry makers to store beads although I am unsure if they are food safe: https://www.amazon.com/Fashewelry-Co...dp/B07Q4458PY/

The bottles were juice bottles (emptied and reused) but you can buy them in bulk - Here's just one source: https://www.uline.com/BL_1949/Clear-...-Juice-Bottles

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 04:26 PM   #26
Old dog new tricks

2017 19' Flying Cloud
Banner elk , North Carolina
Great ideas!

Love this thread and learning about the ways of the road. Especially appreciated Nancy Jane’s contribution as we, too, have a 19’Bambi. Our joy is cooking and we do most of it outside on a propane camp stove. No odors, no heat and no steam inside the unit. Everything tastes wonderful outside! I do not bake on the road (nor at home) so would not need more than a 1/2 cup flour to thicken gravy, ever. Staples are rice, beans, pasta sauces, salad dressings, Starbucks Via (yeah Nancy Jane) and pasta. If I need baked goods I buy. When I cook at home I make extra (stew, soups, sauces) and freeze flat in ziplocks; they fit nicely in freezer for later use. Breakfast inside and in bed, lunch on a trail and dinner becomes a production. Love making it up as we go…when in a pinch there is always a can of black beans on top of rice with some onions and salsa atop. Thanks for this most informative and helpful thread. Bod appetite!!
Flying Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 04:46 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Driftless Area , Wisconsin
We have a rule when we travel that we eat out a maximum of once a day (none if we can swing it). Breakfasts are a no-nonsense affair—the usual suspects like cereal or instant pot/overnight oatmeal or eggs. Lunches and dinners can be more involved but usually involve a grilled protein (cooked outside on the grill), roasted, grilled or sautéed veggies, etc. I also do a lot of tinned fish, simmer sauce-type curries, and for the kids, pasta.

The biggest issue for culinary-minded folks with an Airstream has to be refrigeration, and in particular, of fresh veggies and fruits. So when we make a grocery or market run, it’s usually for fresh produce. I’d say that other than staples such as butter and milk and yogurt, this accounts for most of the contents of our refrigerator. I like visiting smaller groceries while on the road because I get to try a bunch of local items that may not be sold where we live. I don’t have a beer or wine-drinking habit, so we don’t really use a lot of storage for those items (though I do keep a flask or two of good bourbon in the trailer).

As for bulk food storage, I converted half of our wardrobe into a pantry for food storage and it turns out that on both long and short trips this is probably the most useful modification I’ve made. I don’t know whether the 23’ has a wardrobe, but the main point is that between bringing more clothes or bringing more food, for us the food will win every single time. I’ve kitted out the kitchens (both indoor and outdoor) with the same cooking utensils and spices that we use most at home, though obviously it’s a much-reduced set. The first trip out I kept extra kitchen stuff in a cargo container in the truck but stopped doing that in favor of keeping things simple. We’ve managed an 80 day trip really well.

Food/galley mods are documented in my “Traveling with Tatay” thread (link below in signature). These were documented as modifications, but this thread makes me think it’d be good to document them in use.
Old 09-01-2021, 06:52 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2017 19' Flying Cloud
Columbia , Missouri
living large in a 19 footer

We two live full time in a flying cloud 19. I cook just as I did when I had a big old farmhouse kitchen. It takes getting used to just how to cope when there is so little counter space. I use my oven daily. I bake, roast, broil, reheat whatever is on the menu. Most of our cooking is inside. I learned from watching tv cooking to do all my prep work possible in advance such as chopping vegetables so when I put something together, it is much easier. Most of my cookware is in the 2 lockers overhead- a set of revere ware (s,m,l pots); corning ware plates & bowls; nesting locktight storage bowls, mixing bowl & a few other items. My 2 frying pans are under the sink. both drawers under the oven are for silverware & all utensils for cooking. Above the dinette I keep dry goods. I have everything I want to have for a full pantry. I have magnetic spice containers to the left side of my hood, one of the only places a magnet will work. Also the little shelf to the right of the sink is full of spices on top, and cereals & some other dry goods like tea bags under. Canned goods in little pantry by entryway. Also in there are real glasses- and real stemless wine glasses & real ceramic coffee cups. I always leave the dinette down- I don't find it comfortable anyway, & I do store extra goods under there- mostly things that I stock up on bc I can only find it in one part of the country & it's the best (St. Louis has the best spaghetti sauce; Massachusetts has the best hot fudge sauce, etc). We found a table at Camping World- it's little- about the size of a large placemat- that has a C leg style to fit under the lounge area. It's just big enough for a laptop or drink. But then it flips open & doubles in size- to 2 place mats, & big enough for us to eat on. I can use it for prep space. Can't say how great this works out. It means all that under the lounge area is for storage- I even carry a telescope! The only appliances I carry are an electric orange juice squeezer; an air popcorn popper; a hand blender; a waffle maker. We almost never eat out & eat healthy as in home made & organic. The fridge is a challenge- it is a "jenga" sometimes & pretty full. It is amazing what I can pack into that little freezer! During the worst part of covid, I went to the grocery store once every 2 weeks, so that was tough. It takes getting used to, but honestly, when I am in a normal house anymore I think the cabinets are really hard to reach (I'm short!). Everything is at my fingertips in the 19 & I don't feel I'm missing out at all! The 19 does not have a microwave, & that is fine- it did take some getting used to the old ways to melt butter or reheat leftovers, but I'm good with that!
fossil5775 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 07:21 PM   #29
Trailer Sold, Waving

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Stettler , Alberta
"Rice and beans form a substantial part of our diet, but take forever to cook."
Small Instant Pot - 4 minutes.
WBCCI #6679
Acheron2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 11:17 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Anchorage , Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmzouk View Post
We love pasta, but not so much that we wanted to boil a huge pot of water and steam the place up. Pasta became a restaurant meal or take-out treat.
We love pasta too and boondock a lot. We found that cooking the pasta in the sauce works well and solves this problem.
AKNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 04:43 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2021 20' Caravel
Plaistow , New Hampshire
Love our grill. Also use some Mountain House freeze dried meals.
Old 09-02-2021, 05:42 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Lots of great information on this thread. I have a few tidbits to add. Hope they are helpful.

Melting butter on the stove. I got a very small 4-5" cast iron pan with spout for this. Spout for safety in pouring the hot butter. I use this for melting butter for pancakes when we are off grid-or doing nature viewing and we eat by Tailgating! using the truck and our Coleman propane stove. Also great size to cook 1 egg.

For salad dressing that needs no ingredient refrigeration. In the bottom of the large salad bowl mix 1 part olive oil, 2 parts vinegar, 1 packet sugar, 1 squirt of dijon mustard, salt, pepper, and a few turns Trader Joes Everyday Seasoning. Mix together in the bottom of the bowl, then add salad ingredients and toss. Nothing extra to wash, and so easy. We keep all of this ingredients in the pantry. Restock every summer.

Very Large pyrex measuring cup. This thing is a workhorse. Use in the microwave. Use as a mixing bowl. Great for making pasta salad, mixing up cookies, pancakes. 8 Cup size.

Trader Joes insulated tote bag and blue ice freezer packs. These bags are high quality, great size, and are around $7. Add 2 or 3 blue ice packs and you have extra storage that is super for fruits and veggies and jelly and such. Things that do better when cool but don't spoil right away. Stores easily on the floor in front of the stove. When you get to your destination, unpack and re-freeze the blue ice and use for day trips.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 06:31 AM   #33
2 Rivet Member

2008 23' Safari FB SE
Tucson , Arizona
I see that several people mention the Insta-Pot. We have one at our home base, but typically don’t use plug-in appliances in the AS because they are useless when boondocking, which we do quite a bit. We have a GSI Halulite 2.7 liter stovetop pressure cooker. This is indispensable at high altitude. It is kind of noisy and scary in operation, but is safer than it seems as long as you keep an eye on it. I see that others have assembled a spice kit like ours, which I didn’t mention originally. I found lots of useful small containers at the Container Stores.
nmzouk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 06:39 AM   #34
2 Rivet Member

2017 19' Flying Cloud
Columbia , Missouri
Piggy bank, gonna try your salad dressing recipe!
fossil5775 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 06:10 PM   #35
3 Rivet Member

I love this little stove for cooking outside and not heating/steaming up the camper. Genesis Base Camp from Jet Boil. Can also hook it to a 20 or 10# bottle.

https://youtu.be/Bi5nwZ_vWm0
Woolecox is offline   Reply With Quote