Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Full-Timing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-06-2017, 12:02 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by thiel View Post
To pile on... make sure you are using the specified jack points ....not the axles :-)
I wouldnt use the jack marked spots for Jack stands. Axle PLATES only.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 01:16 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
I wouldnt use the jack marked spots for Jack stands. Axle PLATES only.
Is there one or more typo's in the quote above? I thought that an Airstream's Dexter torsion axles could be ruined by any jacking action under them.

Would you please clarify your approach, Rich.

BTW, how long would you leave your AS sitting on hard pavement, without using the jack stands to take some of the weight off the tires? Is 2-3 months OK?

Thanks,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 01:20 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Is there one or more typo's in the quote above? I thought that an Airstream's Dexter torsion axles could be ruined by any jacking action under them.

Would you please clarify your approach, Rich.

Thanks,

Peter
Axle PLATES are different than axles. They are part of the frame to which the axles are bolted. Never Jack or support under axle TUBES.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 08-06-2017, 01:25 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks for the clarification. Not sure a newcomer would know to make that distinction from your terminology.

And why not put jack stands at the jack points identified by Airstream? I don't seen the logic in that, again, in a way that a newcomer would understand. Because you have to jack the trailer up at those points, and then deploy the jack stands (of fixed static lengths) under the axle plates?

As an expert, you probably have an unspoken overview of this process which might be more safely described in full IMO.

Thanks
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 01:39 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
While the jack points marked might be ok for a quick tire change, I don't like the idea of all that weight in that part of the frame for long term. Weight distribution, as designed, leaves the heavy components all around the axles and tongue. Think of it like a sway back horse. Also, it would be really easy for wind to slide off the flat surface and have the stand come up through the floor. Jack stands usually have a u shaped saddle, which the axle plate can sit in. Also the plate is the strongest part of the frame.....reinforced for axle mounting.

Old 08-06-2017, 02:23 PM   #26
Opinionated newb...

2018 25' Flying Cloud
League City , TX
Good to know, wouldn't have thought that jack stands could handle it indefinitely, or in this case for a couple months... thanks all!

What a man does for pay is of little significance. What he is, as a sensitive instrument responsive to the world's beauty, is everything! H. P. Lovecraft
wave man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 02:38 PM   #27
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Changing the weight distribution on the trailer (and bending it) for a long time is likely to create a lot more issues than you might imagine. You are swapping one "maybe" issue (flat spots) for a whole catalog of other issues.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 10:02 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2017 30' Flying Cloud
Highland , California
Wave Man- As PKI says it's not so much the tread depth as the RV tire sidewalls in general tend to deteriorate in place and the rapidity of the deterioration depends upon the tire maker. Most of the AS forum posts on the subject recommend replacing RV tires between 3-5 years regardless of mileage. Length of storage and flat spots? I have not observed that issue in my AS. But, I have in my TV I can feel it in the steering wheel after the vehicle has been stored for 6 months or longer. The good news that the "flat" spots tend to "run out" after the vehicle is driven on the freeway for a few miles.

My 2007 25' AS came with Goodyear Marathon and I lived in it almost full time in AZ for about 8 years. The AS would sit on a concrete pad for up to 8 months at a time.I had 4 tires over the 8 years that came apart due to heat deterioration of the side walls, which in my opinion should cause you a greater concern. (And yes I checked the side walls and tire pressure regularly)
zapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 03:46 AM   #29
4 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
2014 30' Classic
Princeton , Iowa
Like you I worried about this when I got my first airstream. I keep 65 lb. of air in mine and let it set all for over 6 months in the winter and have not had a problem. I have been at this for 7 years. I remember some 20 or 30 years ago leaving a car for 3 or 4 days and having flat spot, they went a way after 5 or 6 miles or driving.
larryglarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 05:44 AM   #30
CapriRacer

I'm in the , US
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Thanks for the feedback. In your opinion, how long is it OK to leave the AS on concrete/asphalt, with proper inflation, say in the driveway? Are talking 2-3 months is OK, for tires that are no more than 5 years old?

Thanks,

Peter
I think a month or 2. If you can't get the load off, try moving the trailer a foot every month or so - so the flatspots are small and in different locations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

A lot of the modern AS trailers come with steel belted LT tires. .... If the ST's go bad after a month or two of sitting, that's just another reason to go for the LT's.

Bob
Sorry, but LT's are just as prone to flatspotting as ST's.
CapriRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 11:02 AM   #31
Stay CazuaL

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2014 19' Flying Cloud
Reseda , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRH View Post
Not an issue
I concur.

Just cover them.
*Virtual campfire at https://www.facebook.com/groups/Airs...dictsforAdults
cazual6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 12:08 PM   #32
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by wave man View Post
How long do you leave your AS stationary before worrying about tire problems caused by the long sit?
A really long time, as in the tires will fail due to age before they fail from sitting while loaded.

In actual real world experience, with today's tires, there isn't a problem, so spend your money time and energy on something else.
Old 08-10-2017, 09:14 PM   #33
Opinionated newb...

2018 25' Flying Cloud
League City , TX
Thumbs up 10-4

Thanks for all the feedback folks, I surely do appreciate it !

What a man does for pay is of little significance. What he is, as a sensitive instrument responsive to the world's beauty, is everything! H. P. Lovecraft
wave man is offline   Reply With Quote