Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Full-Timing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-30-2011, 08:25 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Plymouth Meeting , Pennsylvania
Purchase the Camping Spot

What's the story on purchasing a plot at campgrounds or other places? I was wondering if feasible, to own a plot or two that would serve as jumping off for shorter stays elsewhere, but being able to come back to the spot to re-group, etc. or stay the winter. I've seen a couple of big parks with the lots side by side, which aren't really what I'm looking for. I'm thinking of places that have them for sale but only as an aside. For example if you find a nice campground is it possible to purchase a spot? What are the considerations, good or bad. I'm new to all this and I'm trying to formulate my strategies for full time AS living in a couple years.
'Appreciate any ideas or experiences.
Intrepid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 08:43 AM   #2
WBCCI 8562

1975 31' Sovereign
Pelzer , South Carolina
Smile

Many campgrounds offer season leases, this works out OK and you don't have
a many year commitment to a single place. Many also offer off season storage, even off season use.
For me, having WHEELS under my bed, means I can try new places
as often as I want.. and nice have a large lot to store my Airstream
Jim in Pima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 09:27 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
People who buy lots...

...sometimes feel compelled to use their lots to get their moneys worth. Their Airstream doesn't get to visit new places and see new sights, because its darn owners keep going back to the same place. Worse yet, they may just park it and leave it there, a fate worse than filiform.
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #5783
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 09:53 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Buy a spot?

What would happen if everyone went out and bought a "camping spot?" Where would the rest of us go? This is a foreign idea for me. I like to think of the great outdoors as a place available to all where we can go to relax and enjoy mom nature. I hope that this will be true when my grand kids are my age. Just MHO.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 10:02 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Cheap way to purchase a camping lot

Go to Craigslist & E-bay.

You'll find hundreds of ads for people wanting to sell camping memberships, lots, condo's, etc. All of the deeded campgrounds also have annual membership/common area maintenance costs. I have 2 memberships that each now run just a bit over $600 per year.

I bought those memberships for $1 each and paid the dues for the whole year even though it was 8 months past the due date.

People buy these things with no knowledge that there is no real resale market. Many spend $10K or more for a new campground membership. The kids grow up, the family moves away, they age out of camping, get other interests, or have health situations that aren't compatible with camping... and the annual dues keep on coming due. Some try to voluntarily surrender their memberships, but the camp management gets paid from the annual dues... so they want to keep collecting. Some eventually get foreclosed, and more campgrounds are starting to make adverse credit reports for unpaid dues.

In short, it's a buyers PARADISE. Unless you WANT to throw away $10-$15k, do not buy new. (or if this article just saved you a bundle, send me $10 and I'll be delighted ) You might feel like you're ripping someone off by taking over a membership that they paid a lot for, but believe me, I got "God Bless You" from both people who sold me their "millstones".

Oh, and I do spend 20-30 weeks in my native campground. Think I'm getting my $1200 worth?

Paula
Old 08-30-2011, 10:08 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Not at all uncommon to buy or lease a camping lot. We have a lease on a lot at Travelers Rest in Florida. There are quit a few Airstream only campgrounds scattered around the country. At some the lots are leased. At some the lots are owned. A nice airstream park is TCPC at Crossville, Tn. It is WBCCI members only, all the lots are individually owned, you can only own one. Penn woods in PA is another. Couple in Texas. Land yach harbor in Washington, Nice one in Minnesota. Pebscola. We do know people who have a lot in Fl and PA and TN, for instance, and live full time that way. Lots of parks in Fl for lease or purchase. Pardise Point near Punta Gorda is a nice one. Can find them from bare camping area to having cover for trailer and patio and cabana too. Very common, prices range from 5000 up to the sky. ($100,000 at a park in Mohab, another 100,000 for a bldg). Leases from 7.00 a night up. (we pay around 2800 per year for site, pad, storage bldg, cable, water, grounds maintence, security, . we pay electric in additon.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 10:08 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Between Here , And There
Condo RV lots

I think the condo or co-op lots are a great idea. Just like most vacation cottages, time shares, etc the taxes, insurance, membership fees, and maintenance fees at these facilities have the owner looking for rental income. This is where people like myself really get a great deal. Over the years, in search of warmer weather in the winter months, we have rented at some very nice facilities at very attractive rates. Best of all you are not tied down to one location.
fltlevel510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 10:12 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
Kansas City , Missouri
I hear the Sirens calling me to buy a lot on the Lake of the Ozarks where I will perish on the rocks of despair as my fellow Airstreamers happily caravan around the country, free from the bondage of a lake lot, taxes, dock maintenance, lake fees and vandals. To paraphrase Walter Copland Perry, the Siren's song, though irresistibly sweet, is no less sad than sweet, and laps both body and soul in a fatal lethargy, the forerunner of a nursing home.
JBinKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 10:38 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by aftermath View Post
What would happen if everyone went out and bought a "camping spot?" Where would the rest of us go? This is a foreign idea for me. I like to think of the great outdoors as a place available to all where we can go to relax and enjoy mom nature. I hope that this will be true when my grand kids are my age. Just MHO.

Sell separate 52 weeks of a year, then figure how many actually use so multiply by about 7 and you get the idea of more to be made from "selling" with constant income of yearly dues.
We fell for c to c then found out we we second class citizens at associated cgs, only some of the spaces were dedicated to your membership, those filled and you had to pay full price for the empty spots they had when you pulled up. After a number of years dues went up, we were not full timing couldn't get moneys worth, let membership expire as no resale value.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 08:09 AM   #10
WBCCI 8562

1975 31' Sovereign
Pelzer , South Carolina
We "full timed" for 4 years, with our SOB. At that time we joined Thousand Trails, Pass Port America, Escapees. This served us very well, but once we had to settle down we dropped all but PPA. Today the best camping around here
usually has no hookups, so our ol airstream has been equipped for minimal
power/water use, gives us about 5 days without needing things.
Jim in Pima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 11:37 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1999 25' Safari
Denver , Colorado
Kicking this old thread back in gear with the following question.

If you buy an RV lot (which we are considering), which consists of a gravel site which is level ... and let's say you go to an occaisional rally, but 'park' it most of the time - what do you do about the tires? Should they be on wood? we have covers for the elements, but what about it sitting for 3 months with us clambering in every weekend? Should we hitch it up and ride around? We'll be bringing it home over the winter months for it's spot next to the house ... so the tires & axels/bearings will get used then. Should we even worry about it? Wendy