Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-29-2012, 11:09 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2012 31' Classic
Naples , Florida
Question Permanent Address for a Wanderer

How do you full-timers handle a mailing address? Having a permanent address is a necessity for obtaining a driver's license among other reasons, but I'm ready to wander about the USA. My options seem to be:
(1) rent or buy into an RV lot,
(2) rent a mailing address from the UPS Store or other provider,
(3) rent a small apartment somewhere cheap, or
(4) buy a cabin.

Any words of wisdom are much appreciated!!
martian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 11:46 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB International
LA LA Land... , California
The Escapees RV Club has a mail forwarding service which I hear is quite good. Here's the link:
http://www.escapees.com/MailForwardingService.asp
Mike91208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 12:03 PM   #3
Addicted

1971 27' Overlander
Currently In: Skowhegan , ME
Ditto on the Escapees...we full-time and have been using them for almost a year now (just renewed, actually) and have nothing bad to say about them or the service. The address you get from them is completely legal to use to establish residency in Texas, and a quick trip to Livingston will allow you to do your Driver License, plates, registrations and inspections.

If you just use the mail service, you either call them up or go online and tell them where you want it forwarded to (either general delivery, the camp ground you're staying at, friends/family, etc).

Visit our crazy full-timing blog (us,kids and dogs living the dream): https://www.airstreamingdreaming.com/

Join us at the TAC Walt Disney World Rally, November 4th - 10th, 2012: https://www.theairstreamersclub.org/rallies/tac-fw-wdw
exthemius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 02:51 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Before starting trip get a passport, good id for driver's license renewal, also need proof of getting mail somewhere. New 9 11 rules demand birth certificate and or picture id and passport solves it. Here in Florida you can't use your present drivers license for id to get a new one. I guess they know how it was issued in the past.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 03:21 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Weldon Spring , Missouri
Hi martian, we, too, have been pleased with the Escapees mail service. As exthemius indicated, if you want to establish legal residency as well, a pilgrimage to Livingston is in order. (Subsequent "renewals" can usually be accomplished on line, however, so you won't have to return every year).

Another thing that we've really appreciated is Polk County's reasonable and cooperative attitude about jury duty for those of us who live on "Rainbow Drive", (the longest street in the world, based on the number of us who "live" there....they're aware that, when your name comes up, you might be thousands of miles from Livingston).
fmr.capt.evi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 02:54 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Sumner , Washington
Martain
Getting ready to go on road 'full time' in about three months. We have a mail box and a trusted good friend checking it every week. My monies are direct deposited into our bank and anything important is overnighted to us where ever we are.
howco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 06:11 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Ditto on Escapees. We're still three years out from going full-time, but when we do we will be Texans and using Escapees mail service.
1993 Foretravel U300 (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 03:55 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2005 25' International CCD
Fleetwood , North Carolina
Send a message via Skype™ to DreamStreamr
Martian,
We used family member's address as our residency address because we wanted to retain residency in our same state as past 50+ years. We wholly agree with all comments about Escapees, we have belonged for more than six years to Escapees and all our mail forwarding is through them. So our mail, too, goes to Livingston TX and waits until we advise, "Please send our mail to" this post office or that one.

So we retained our original residency state and gained a mailing address in Livingston TX. This has worked out really fine without exception for more than four years for us.

Jim N5RTG
dreamstreamr.com
DreamStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 11:57 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Lake Wales , Florida
I would have to pay $25 to get a new address on my license every time I move here in Florida. I have used my mothers address until recently she passed away. I don't know what I will do when we sell the condo...PO Boxes not allowed.
susans69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 07:29 AM   #10

Currently Looking...
East Orleans , Massachusetts
Anyone know of a Massachusetts mail service like the Escapees in TX that also allows use as legal address?
Cool air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 07:30 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
1970 27' Overlander
SoCal , USA
California Mail Forwarding Service?

I'm starting my search in the Airforums, but will try Google, too. I just don't want to get stuck with a bad service. I'm looking for one in CA.

I can use Escapees, as I only need forwarding, but we will be trailering in CA, mostly, and I'd like to establish residency ASAP and shorten the distance forwarded mail needs to travel. TIA for any tips.
perri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 02:34 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
In Indiana, my drivers license is also a "secure" ID (like first grade, there is a gold star in one corner of the license) and must show an actual physical Indiana address. I had to produce current bills for utilities at that address, the warranty deed to prove ownership, current property tax receipts and a birth certificate and social security card. I also had my passport for a photo ID and an Indiana bank checking account.

They also have on file my Arizona PO Box mailing address to send registration renewals to and an Indiana PO Box to mail the driver's license to. I have no active street mail address in Indiana. You do not walk out of an Indiana license branch with any paperwork other than a receipt. Everything must be mailed to an address in your profile.

I have a friend check the Indiana PO Box every week and forward any official looking documents to my current location. The usual junk mail and bills (which are on automatic pay with a credit card) await my arrival to file in Indiana.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 05:09 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
One of the reasons several of the larger mail forwarding services are located in Texas, and some other states, is the lack of state income tax.

Specifically, Texas funds itself with property and sales taxes. So if one doesn't own real estate, establishing residency there can substantially lower one's overall tax burden.

Regards,

JD

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 03:46 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
South Dakota seems to be another state many full timers choose for establishing residency. In addition to state income taxes, one should also consider the cost of insurance, especially health insurance if you're not Medicare eligible. The savings here could outweigh taxes. We currently live and work in Florida and with no state income tax we'll likely keep our residency here when we start full timing next year. However, since we're a good way from turning 65, we might price health insurance in other states before deciding. With ACA pricing becoming available in Oct, it's still a little too early to research.
Barefootdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 04:30 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
We like the UPS store and our little post box. Been using them for years. It's about $140.00 a year, but they're cool enough to recycle the junk and just send us the first class when we go south for the winter.
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 09:51 AM   #16
Sro
1 Rivet Member

2011 16' International
Walnut , California
Digging up an old thread here, but I'm surprised nobody has mentioned virtual post mail or earth class mail.

Both will receive your mail and allow you to manage it online. You can scan / shred / trash or forward it.

I've been using virtual post mail for years and love it. It's pricier than other forwarding services but I'm glad to be able to read my mail anywhere (even when traveling internationally).

Earth class mail is pricier, and their service is worse, but they have more mailing addresses (some are in tax-free states).
Sro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 07:04 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2012 31' Classic
Naples , Florida
Sro, since you resurrected my posting, I'll update with my solution. I decided to use a company called St. Brendan's Isle located in Green Cove Springs, Florida. It provides web-based mail services, mail forwarding, and a legal permanent address. Customer service is top-notch and priced fairly. Check it out at Mail Forwarding Services at St Brendan's Isle.
martian is offline   Reply With Quote