Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Full-Timing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-25-2007, 07:30 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
fairfax , Virginia
Newbie needs advice

I'm a 40something professional finally leaving the rat race to travel, freelance, and live the life I have always wanted. Here's my question...I absolutely love everything about Airstream; from the gorgeous interior design to the supportive community of enthusiasts. I looked at 5th wheels and they all are designed like Gramma's house (you know what I mean). What I am most concerned about, however, is the space in an Airstream. I'll be living and working in this rig for at least a year. Please share with me how you all do it...is it possible to live and work comfortably in an Airstream?
k2scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 07:33 PM   #2
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
We all just tow them around for people to look at...

A few others may give you some better answers.
klattu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 07:58 PM   #3
1953 Flying Cloud

1953 21' Flying Cloud
West Sacramento , California
All I have to say is. My family of 2 1/2 plus 65lbs dog have no problems hanging out on the outside and sleeping, cooking, playing cards and other things on the inside. And it's only a 21 footer. Good luck with your quest
1953 Flying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 08:15 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1962 16' Bambi
Newtown Square , Pennsylvania
Hi K2Scuba and welcome to the forums.
As to your question, there are many folks here living and working out of there Airstream. I'm sure they will respond as they see your post. If you don't get any replies, you may want to start a new thread titled something like "LIVING AND WORKING OUT OF THE AIRSTREAM - HOW DO YOU DO IT?" That may get you more of a response. Good luck! BTW - Jimmy Rollins just hit an in the park home run in the bottom of the ninth to tie the Nationals and take the game into extra innings!
Airforums# 7906, WBCCI #4248, WDCU
dudebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 08:27 PM   #5
Mel
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Welcome to the forums!

You might want to check out Rich Luhr's blog on full-timing in an Airstream.
Old 07-25-2007, 10:12 PM   #6

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We spend about one third of our time in our 25' FB, Lucy. We run our Moose Tags business out of Lucy. We take orders and do our shipping from the Airstream while on the road. I know what you mean about the 5th wheels. Most look like a country kitchen on HGTV.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 11:30 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags
Most look like a country kitchen on HGTV.

Ew. Here's to Safaris.
2004 Ford Excursion 6.0 PSD PWRSTRK,
and Brittany, the Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever
PWRSTRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 11:43 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
ORD , Nebraska
The only thing I would say is !DUCK! when walking through the sliding curtain doors if you're over 6' !!!
welld.geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 11:57 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Living in any trailer...

Hello,

There are lots of things to consider... but an Airstream, that is best! A few questions... is it just one person to live in the 'stream, or several of you? Pets? Generally how do you do in small spaces? What are your priorities for your living space? Mine is room for my computer...

Will you be living while on the road moving from place to place, or staying in one spot? A bit more info will help folks provide some insights... also, will you be in the really cold country, or in Florida? Some of those items will be important for you as well!

There is an old, but interesting and informative thread on considerations for an airstream... here is the link: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f353...eam-22920.html

Good luck, I lived in a 25' 5th wheel for a year, and managed while working, and got through it without too much difficulty... My husband and I travel in a 16' Bambi and think we have a lot of room!

Have fun,

Mrs. Nor Cal Bambi (traveling in S Tardis)
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 07:25 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
Welcome to the forums! But really, if you're a 40 something professional leaving the rat race, you're not the one looking for advice... I am!
2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 07:27 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2005 25' International CCD
Fleetwood , North Carolina
Send a message via Skype™ to DreamStreamr
K2SCUBA,
We are new to full-timing but planned it for almost three years. The CCD25 is a splendid blend of functionality and space and light. We love it, fit everything in it with room to spare, and have plenty of room for us. As some others stated we enjoy spending time outside. The inside is so nice we sometimes are a little conflicted -- we like to be in our beautiful AS, see how the light reflects throughout. Very comfortable, plenty spacious, great storage throughout.

Good luck,

Jim N5RTG
dreamstreamr.com
DreamStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 05:53 PM   #12

1990 36' Land Yacht
Dunnellon , Florida
Hi Folks. My first message and my first Airstream. I have just bought a Land yacht 36' motor home. It will be some time before I get to "live" in it as it is a mess. My sisters boy friend,75 yrs old has lived alone in it for 4 yrs. Saved everything. I bought it right( $2,500.1990) so if it takes me 3 months to clean it, no biggie I guess. My question is---- What would I use to clean the walls. ? Also the headliner is loose so I plan on using star tacks to hold it up for now. Does that sound ok.?
I am a 69 yo "lovely lady" that is doing this project alone. any help appreciated.
Ruthanne3443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 06:56 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1996 34' Limited
1976 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Excella
Greeneville , Tennessee
Living and working in an AS

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2scuba View Post
I'm a 40something professional finally leaving the rat race to travel, freelance, and live the life I have always wanted. Here's my question...I absolutely love everything about Airstream; from the gorgeous interior design to the supportive community of enthusiasts. I looked at 5th wheels and they all are designed like Gramma's house (you know what I mean). What I am most concerned about, however, is the space in an Airstream. I'll be living and working in this rig for at least a year. Please share with me how you all do it...is it possible to live and work comfortably in an Airstream?
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXX

K2,
I know that you posted this message in 2007, and I am really interested in how it has turned out for you. For me I do have a little insight into going full time in a camper with the exception of work issues. When my parents went full time they started out with only bringing those things with them that was needed and then adding to it until they got where they wanted to be, My father was a welder and had all his welding stuff on the truck and that is how he made money on the road, my mother did knitting and sold it.
Now skip forward to now, when we get our AS back from the factory I will do the same thing start out with necessary and work my way from there. Now the other problem is income, I am disabled so I have some income but we also need the wife to maintain an income as well, so we are looking into what can be done on the road to create another form of income. This is where I want to hear from everyone on here.

Thanks Sarge
SARGE/AF is offline   Reply With Quote