Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Full-Timing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-27-2009, 05:29 PM   #21
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Jane,

If you are stuck on owning an Airstream, then so be it, I can certainly understand that!

But, there is a new line (which I think is made by Thor, Airstream's parent) that is extremely lightweight (read smaller tow vehicle) cleverly designed, and when I saw them at the RV show this January, struck me as quite well-built. Good room if you travel alone.

iCamp Trailers. Have at look at them on this site. See what you think...
Old 03-27-2009, 05:46 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
But, there is a new line (which I think is made by Thor, Airstream's parent).
I believe that iCamp trailers are built in China. Thor, Airstream's corporate parent, owns Dutchman, who builds the T@B and T@DA. Thor also builds Eco, which is introducing a full-composite (no wood) trailer.

All the same, I don't think full-timing in any of these would be all that comfy....

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 07:56 PM   #23
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutcth View Post
I believe that iCamp trailers are built in China. Thor, Airstream's corporate parent, owns Dutchman, who builds the T@B and T@DA. Thor also builds Eco, which is introducing a full-composite (no wood) trailer.

All the same, I don't think full-timing in any of these would be all that comfy....

Tom
Interesting. Perhaps I associated the iCamp with Thor since at the Toronto RV show, they were shown at the Can-Am booth, Canada's largest Airstream dealer.

I saw the T@B and T@DA trailers at a local dealer, and again while I loved the idea and the looks, they definitely weren't for me, I'm 5' 17" tall. I was told that those trailers are made in Germany, by the way.

The iCamp felt more roomy, and for one person, I can imagine full-timing. After all, even with a 34' AS, it's not like you get an attic and basement!
Old 03-28-2009, 06:18 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
I was told that those trailers are made in Germany, by the way.
As my avatar shows, I have a T@B (but would like to upgrade to rivets someday.) They started out as Tabberts which are indeed built in Germany. But the trailers sold here are built in the States with royalties going back to Tabbert. (I wish the trailers here were the German ones, not because of any build quality complaints, but because the decor is more stylish and they offer 2 bigger floorplans, including a tandem axle 2900 lb trailer that would quelsh my Bambi CCD dreams.)

Meanwhile, since Dutchman doesn't sell the bigger T@B models here, they developed their own larger trailer, the T@DA. It uses a homegrown chassis (not the T@B's European Al-Ko chassis with its surge brakes and parking brake) and supposedly gets around paying a design license fee back to Tabbert. But since its not as stylish as the T@B, sales aren't as strong...

Sorry for the thread diversion, but then again, I want to be an Airstream newbie someday, and it's all about figuring out how best to make the jump while keeping tow vehicle size down...

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 08:14 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Sonoma County , California
Oh, no, no, no, no..... I looked at the T@B trailers at a dealer in Ukiah, and they are adorable, well built, certainly have an attraction, and have a ceiling clearance of 5' 9". I am 5' 10". I can't see myself living stooped over for a few years! I am planning on living full time, and need a realisitc amount of space for my online business (2 laptops, external hard drive, printer, modem, paperwork, satellite on roof) I sell books and CDs online, and might want to keep a few examples too, and I need more than one change of clothes.

If I go other than Airstream, I might go for the Evergreen Recreational Vehicles, LLC. - Manufacturer of Green eco-friendly Everlite RVs They are new, and not quite up and running, but the trailers are light and sturdy for their size, nice floor plans, have a solar option, and are satellite ready, so that reduces some costs. I think they range from $20,000- $40,000. But if I go used, I will go with a "silver beauty", cuz they look classic and quality, and not tacky, like a lot of other trailers. I could buy a used one cheaper, then spend the extra money for the options I want, like the satellite and solar, maybe a composting toilet, wood floors, my color schemes, etc.

Jane

janemaati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 07:31 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
I think I might have looked at the T@DA trailers too in Ukiah, not sure, but I really do need the head room, and I don't think they have it. I am 5'10" which is tall for a woman, but average for a man, so these ones are definitely "coming up short" with a ceiling clearance of 5'9". I stood up straight in one, and my head was firmly pressed into the headliner. Not OK for full timing.

I need to consider the weight and towing factors, but I also have to consider realistic daily comfort, and also my business, so I might have to add some weight to make it all work. I have a little time to think about it, so it will either be a new Ever-Lite or Starstream, or a vintage Airstream or Avion, set up inside to work for me. Either way, I need to come up with $20,00 - $30,000 plus a truck, so I will be studying this forum, and building my business, paying off my visa, and saving! I figure 2 years, as I am now making a double income, between my weekend job, and my online business, and I think in a few months, my online income should be surpassing my 'day job', which will expidite things!

I am visualizing a new and interesting life on the road, perhaps making the rounds of New Age Expos with my products, and taking off the mileage as business expenses. I think once I get going, I may not stop!

Jane
Old 03-29-2009, 11:41 AM   #27
Rivet Master

That sounds like a wonderful plan. more power to ya!

Best of luck, Rich
VIKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 07:01 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
You better hurry it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by janemaati View Post
Hi, I'm Jane, and I don't have a trailer yet, I don't even have a truck, but I am working hard to build my online business, paying off my credit cards, and looking forward to stepping off the "day job" hamster wheel, ditching the over priced SF Bay area rent, and hitting the road, with satellite internet and solar panels. I produce subliminal, self hypnosis and sound therapy CDs and MP3s, and also republish spirituality public domain books, so part of my loosely laid plan is to perhaps make the rounds of New Age Fairs and book stores for promotional work, then maybe take the travel expenses off my taxes

I guess until that happens (2 years?) I will lurk, gather info, ask questions, and get as knowledgable as possible, before hitting the road.

I think the things worrying me the most right now is...

1) Scared of water damage and rotting floors. Is that really common in Air Streams? I see a lot of 80's Excellas in my price range, how big of a problem might that be?

2) I live in California, and all the Airstreams I see for sale online are in other states. In California everything is more expensive, they are raising taxes, and if I buy one, I will have to register it here, even though I will be high tailing it ASAP! Solution?

3) I'm used to living in small spaces, but the trailers under 30 ft seem cramped, and I am tempted to get a big one, even though I have never towed anything! Some of the smaller ones might be OK, if I take out those twin beds that are common in the middle, and replace them with dressers and/or desk, but will that be really hard? A sin? Ruin resale?

4) The cost of buying a used Airstream and remodeling it a little, with satellite, solar panels, maybe a composting toilet (I'm a Greenie ) Also the truck.... I'm thinking diesel, then I can do bio diesel, but is that expensive? What am I thinking? Like $50,000?

Thanks for reading, thanks for your patience, and thanks for any advise or encouragement you might have!

Jane
You better hurry cause the train is leaving!!!Good luck to you
Old 06-18-2009, 08:51 AM   #29

Austin , Texas
3) I'm used to living in small spaces, but the trailers under 30 ft seem cramped, and I am tempted to get a big one, even though I have never towed anything! Some of the smaller ones might be OK, if I take out those twin beds that are common in the middle, and replace them with dressers and/or desk, but will that be really hard? A sin? Ruin resale?

Question: I have the same question. I am a writer who is downsizing so I don't need a hectic day job and concentrate on journalism and creative nonfiction I'm writing. I need to add a table and office space and am thinking of the middle section, where the AS Tradewind has two bunks is the best place. Has anyone done this, and have photos and suggestions perhaps?

Thanks!
cboisseau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 10:21 AM   #30
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Seems to me, cboisseau, if you want to use a trailer as an office and you remove the beds, you will have to sleep where the dinette is by converting to a bed every night. That's a pain. The table is anotgher desk plus a place to eat. A journalist always has lots of papers and needs lots of horizontal spaces. I suppose you can fit a desk into one (former) bed space, or remove one twin and keep the other. You also need a place for a printer, files, etc. If you add a lot of weight to one side—offices mean paper and paper is heavy plus computer, office furniture—be sure to balance the weight. Maybe files need to go under the bed, though the wheels may be there. Keep the heaviest things down low.

Resale: anytime you change something from a design that is commonly wanted to something less common, you hurt resale. But if you want to use for something most efficient to your needs, that seems more important if you plan to keep it for some period of time more than a few years. Save the old stuff and make the changes in a way they can be easily removed and the trailer restored to its original floor plan.

Sin: a moral question. People change their Airstreams constantly to make them their own. Do they make them better or worse? Mostly better, but we saw a few year old trailer that was trashed out last year—different standards. The exterior is more the icon and is more public. The company changes them too, not always in good ways. Try to follow the basic design in your modifications, though an aluminum desk is probably a bad idea (stainless steel might look good).

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 01:45 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Hey, it's Jane, I started this thread.... my idea is, that a lot of trailers have 2 twin beds on either side of the aisle, take one out, and replace it with 1) a desk or 2) dresser space.

I also have another idea; most Airstreams have the sleep sofas in the back living room area; take that out, and replace it with a dinette/desk. That's what I'm thinking, and have drawers under the seats to store my laptops. And, you can make the table with a piano hinge in the middle, and a sort of "prop" leg, so you can tilt one side down, for easy laptop typing. (Hard to explain, but to make the table tilt like a laptop stand).

As far as ruining the resale value, times have changed.... how many out there are actually using their Airstreams to take 6-8 people camping? Seems like there are a lot of independant single people, or childfree couples, wanting an alternative way to live, and the traditional "camping" trailer just won't quite work.

Jane

P.S. Still building the online biz, and saving $$$$. But there is a very nice '67 29 ft Ambassador available locally.... wish I had the $8,000, plus the $$$ to customize! Soon, very soon....
Old 06-21-2009, 12:20 AM   #32
Rivet Master

I saw a picture of an Airstream on a travel blog a while back that had two swiveling recliners in the front, Very plush and comfy looking ones. There was a desk that wrapped around the whole front of the thing with a large flat monitor in each front corner. They worked from the road full time and made the front area their office. They could swivel around and face back towards the galley and the side gaucho when they were relaxing or if they had visitors, and I believe they had a table that folded out from the streetside for dining on, and an extra chair or two.
This struck me as a simple change if you don't have any water tanks or other services under your front gaucho to worry about, and if you can give up the storage below it. It also looked really cool as a work space with the front window right there.
Rich
Old 06-21-2009, 08:26 AM   #33

2007 25' Safari SS SE
Tukwila , Washington
Jane,

This may show up twice as I may have hit the wrong button.

We have a 2006 25' Safari SE that we pull with a 2002 Toyota Tundra.

If I was looking for a new tow vechile I would buy a new Tundra as they will pull 10,000 pounds. With our Tundra we get about 10 to 11 miles to the gallon pulling the trailer.

If you are looking for dealer to buy an airstream from I would suggest George M. Sutton in Eugene Oregon. Great people to work with and had a large selection. When we had to purchase an other trailer after the first one was total in an accident we went back to George M. Sutton and had the same great service. There service department is also great. What few problems we have had they have been able to take care of with out a problem.

Once you make the leap have fun and many safe trips.

Jay
jayandrachel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 11:13 AM   #34
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
york , Pennsylvania
traveling expenses as a tax deduction

Jane,
I recently retired from IRS after 38 years and I too am looking into a new airstream. But a little advice, for federal tax purposes you have to have a home in order to claim " away from expenses" like gas, meals and so on. If you have no permanent home you may be out of luck. You can still have a business but the travel part will be limited.
cpaharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 04:30 PM   #35
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Unhappy

CPAHarley, what if I have an address, like a forwarding service address, and a home state, for like registering the vehicles? Not wanting to gip the devil out of his due, I just set the IRS $3,000 for my online biz taxes, but just wanting to take the gas off for some point A to point B travel. I am thinking of making the rounds of New Age Expos, and doing bookstore events for my titles.

JayRachell, hadn't thought of a Tundra, looking online, the towing capacity didn't seem all that, but now that you mention it, maybe I will expand my imaginings. Mostly been thinking in terms of a Ford F150 or F250. I'll also bookmark the dealer in Oregon, it's not too far from my current homebase in N.Cal. but I think I need an oldy but goody..... new prices blow my mind, and I would still feel I would need to rip things out to make it workable for me. There is a 29' '67 Ambassador for sale locally, very good skin, no known leaks, new wood floor, and the interior is already ripped out, and ready to rearrange! They want $8,000 for it, and it needs a lot of work, so I am hoping it doesn't sell until I get more $$$ saved. I only have $2,300 so far and no truck! Well, it's back to work online, building site maps, creating links, more titles, etc, etc.

Hey, anyone want to see my You Tube videos? They are stand alone good, but also double as mini commericals for my biz!

http://youtube.com/janemaatismith
Old 06-23-2009, 05:35 PM   #36
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
1st and 2nd generation Tundras are very different. 2nd generation (2007-present) are as big as any 1/2 ton pickup, maybe bigger in some ways. An older trailer will be lighter and depending on which one, 1st generation Tundras may be a good choice. They are very, very reliable.

Gene
Old 06-24-2009, 06:09 AM   #37
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
york , Pennsylvania
"CPAHarley, what if I have an address, like a forwarding service address, and a home state, for like registering the vehicles? Not wanting to gip the devil out of his due, I just set the IRS $3,000 for my online biz taxes, but just wanting to take the gas off for some point A to point B travel. I am thinking of making the rounds of New Age Expos, and doing bookstore events for my titles."

That may be ok for state tax purposes, but for federal you would need to show you are incurring duplicate living expenses "while traveling away from home on a temporary trip" as well as show the trip was temporary. This would be applicable to meals and campground fees, trailer depreciation, repairs, clothes washing etc. The interest on the trailer would qualify was home mortgage deduction.
As far as gas, I see no reason why you can not claim gas expense to go from pt A to pt B as long as you can show you earned income from being at pt B, thus the IRC162 allows " expenses incurred to produce income "
cpaharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 09:36 AM   #38
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
I wasn't planning on deductions for campgrounds, depreciation, food, etc. I haven't been claiming anything for my at home business so far; how much of a percentage of my living space does a laptop constitute? They can make it so down to the micro percentage, and my income isn't that high, that it's worth too much haggling or risk. But I was thinking of making the rounds to New Age Expos and bookstores, both for business, and to give me places to go, things to do, and people to meet. Hopefully, that will produce income! Thanks for the info, I'm printing out threads from the forum to create my own "escape plan book". Now to go forth, and produce that income!

Jane
Old 06-25-2009, 11:14 AM   #39
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
For some people a home office as a tax deduction makes sense, but not for all. The room must be entirely used for an office. I believe there are problems with doorways to the rest of the house. I can't imagine how using part of a trailer for an office could work for tax purposes. There are a lot of rules that only tax attorneys and CPA's understand about these kind of deductions. Because there was a lot of cheating, the rules were made onerous some years ago. If you use a room in your house for a home office, when you sell the house you lose a proportional part of the tax exemption and have rather confusing calculations to deal with.

Gene
Old 06-25-2009, 11:16 AM   #40
Rivet Master

Jane,
There's an Argosy for sale in Morgan Hill that sounds pretty reasonable and has a good layout. It needs updating, but there are some good points about it. Don't know if you are into the Argosy thing, but thought it might be of interest.
76 Airstream (Argosy) - 28' Morgan Hill

Rich

P. S. I saw another ad for a guy in the Brentwood area with multiple units for sale. Not all Airstream.
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/rvs/1237645846.html

Good luck!