Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Full-Timing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-21-2014, 01:11 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Salt Lake City , Utah
Marching toward fulltiming

Hi,
My wife and I (and a cat) are beginning a long preparation toward fulltiming and working on the road.

Background: we are experienced campers and travelers in both backpacking, tents, tarps and our 13' Shasta "canned ham" (we restored on the interior). We are writers with Web savvy, but will also take other road jobs when available.
We do virtually all of our trailer camping in BLM/NFS lands and campgrounds. (We're Utah based.) And prefer to operate without hookups, when possible.

We've been looking at an Airstream & kin trailers. We expect to roll in about a year, if everything comes together financially.

Here's our preliminary thoughts from researching this website and others and looking at a lot of Airstreams, old and new.

--We want a trailer we can tuck into public lands for dry camping, but big enough to avoid murder. We'll probably get a 18-23 foot older model in "fair" condition. Outside tarnished, inside worn, but most of the appliances, electrical and plumbing in good shape. We'll make modifications for our comfort and repair as needed, but not worry about "restoring." Avions, Argosies, etc. are possibilities too.

-- The best tow vehicle for our needs seems to a Safari/Astro. We can use the back for additional storage, gets decent gas mileage and offers on-the-road roaming room for the cat.

What we're asking for is any sage wisdom or mid-course corrections on the above assumptions.

Any guidance much appreciated.
Glen W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 08:18 PM   #2
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
lots of options and data on the World Wierd Web...

Here's a famous one.. Escapees RV Club

It has the best options I have been able to understand...
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 02:41 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida

Well I believe you are on the right track. I just recently read a blog online about choosing to full time from a gentleman that owned just about every type of camper. His conclusion? Interestingly anything with an odometer had two strikes against as loss of value was calculated by both year and mileage. Secondly, he said to keep it as small as possible to your taste. If you need a 45 foot fifth wheel then perhaps you should forget camping and just travel when it's convenient to leave your stuff unless you plan to stay put.

As for age of Airstream to buy, that one is tough. I have summized in the forum that many will tell you 10 years and under for less work and camp ready and older models expect some prep first - just an overview. Then of course thee are those "pet"trailers that are older and perfect too that belonged to someone who is an Airstream hobbiest.
Old 09-03-2014, 05:11 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Green Cove Springs , Florida
We have been looking fro 2 years now and have to say the 2015 classic is for us. Yes it is expensive but with ducted air and 16 in. tires,more insulation and some of the other nices that is for us. Now our truck is not for everyone but since I am a mechanic I bought what we have now. Custom built Freightliner. We do not have to worry about storage or weight and will be able to pull and mountain we want. The wheel base is the same as a Ford 350 king cab but can turn on a dime. This will be our home and want what we want. I agree on the 45 footers and with even the 30 foot Classic we sould be able to get into the older federal camp grounds.
beetlebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 11:39 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Salt Lake City , Utah

Thanks for the feedback. We have looked at a dozen trailers in person and hundreds online. Btw, we lean toward the dry-camping end of the camping spectrum and plan to do much of the fixing up ourselves. We are not 'collectors' so we will achieve comfort, not authenticity. It's very unlikely we'll buff it to a high shine.

Here are our thoughts so far about what will work for us:

--About 22-23' for boondocking and a more fuel-efficient TVehicle.

--We want a permanent full bed aft and kitchen/dining up front. Bath center, beside or rear of the bed. That way one of us can be up/working while the other is snoozing/ kicking back. It might only be a few feet, but we learned winter camping in the 13' canned ham--it can make all the difference.

--We want something "interesting", but not necessarily an AS. We are looking at a '60s Kenskill that's really pleasing inside with birch paneling. And a Silver Streak that needs heaps of work. And an Argosy with some dents and a problematic floor plan. And 2 ASs needing lots of TLC,not to mention windows and plumbing.

--we're going to live in this trailer, and to our taste, 70s-80s harvest gold/earth tone interiors are not acceptable, unless quality construction makes it worthwhile to renovate. (Not trying to pick a fight, just a matter of taste.)

--don't want to fix major structural or floor problems. (we recently looked at a 1960 Globetrotter for $12k that needed a complete rehabilitation.)

--finally, it's got to have the correct juju or mojo.
Glen W. is offline   Reply With Quote