Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Full-Timing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-13-2017, 04:14 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Friday Harbor , Washington
Making your own sceptic system as full time living in.

What further advice or caution will you experienced AS addicts suggest? I may have hit on a solution -- off the grid, of course -- for dumping black and gray water for a standing, living-in AS. Rather than having a sceptic service or a blue-boy for waste, I dug a row of five French drains, each about a foot and a half deep, 12" to 15" across, filling each with gravel, topped by larger stones. The larger stones to slow the flow. For a month now empty the Black first, followed by the Gray, then some hosed spraying and no bad smells, in fact none. To improve the system further I may add a layer of charcoal to each drain. Any further advice or cautions?
Rob Cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 04:33 PM   #2
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
That system would not pass muster with any public health department in the USA and you could be subject to a hefty fine, removal and bio hazard cleanup charges if the system was discovered in use.

You should have a proper septic system installed on your property that meets code. Waste disposal is highly regulated for good reason.
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 04:43 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Not to pile on, but a proper septic system has a tank to allow bacteria to digest waste and to hold solids. You are discharging raw sewage which, as Wulfraat said, is illegal in most, if not all, jurisdictions and unhealthy for you and your neighbors.

Have a proper system installed.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 05:10 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Sure it's working for a month, but I'll bet it fails fairly soon. Without the solids breaking down in a tank, your drain lines will plug up. You basically installed a septic without the first stage.
Old 08-14-2017, 05:30 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Use a 50 gallon barrel buried with holes cut into the bottom draining into a drain field as you described. Every few years may have to be repaired. Downstream from your water supply. Oh yea, totally illegal, big fines if caught. Works even better if gray water is hosed out into the woods or field, eliminates filling the black tank barrel up too quickly. Like I said, illegal but works.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 05:54 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
Signal Mountain , Tennessee
As a professional developer and building contractor who has dealt with environmental laws for more years than I can count, you will be in big trouble with the state and feds if your system is discovered. You will be polluting the ground water supply. Undigested paper will eventually stop up your system. You do not want to risk the wrath of government coming down on you. It will be very expensive in legal fees, engineering fees, mitigation costs, and new system cost. Get it right with a properly permitted and inspected system.
TN,”Greenest State in the Land of the Free”.Davy Crocket
" America is not a place;it's a road." Mark Twain
Tn Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 06:06 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Lakes Region , New Hampshire
This is about as brilliant as someone saying, "hey look at the tattoo I gave myself with the rusty nail I found on the ground"

The difference being that only you would have to live with the consequences of that stupidity, this does not.

My apologies, if I offend, but past a certain point complete bluntness is required.

Research how a septic system works, you can make one yourself with a couple barrels, but A FRENCH DRAIN IS NOT IT. It could be the end of the one you make, but at this point you have built yourself A HAZARDOUS WASTE SITE, that if found out, you would have pay quite a bit to have cleaned up.
RandyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 06:13 AM   #8
ObviouslyKnot

Currently Looking...
KAILUA , HI
Please send your address in Friday Harbor WA so I can ship spray paint to try and mask the AS before you make the local newspaper.

Addicts, maybe, but not illegal, dangerous, inconsiderate gross polluters. Go off grid for real and go get a tent and c**p in the woods.
Old 08-14-2017, 06:44 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Sceptic about your septic !

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 07:03 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I live in an area where sespools are still in use.
They are nothing more than an open pit where are sewage is dumped.
At least in these systems the solids get a chance to break down.
Your system will not hold up for long without a tank.
What is keeping you from doing it right?
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 07:34 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Please give us the GPS location for your illegal dumping of raw sewage, so that we can make sure not to buy property near you.

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Cope View Post
What further advice or caution will you experienced AS addicts suggest? I may have hit on a solution -- off the grid, of course -- for dumping black and gray water for a standing, living-in AS. Rather than having a sceptic service or a blue-boy for waste, I dug a row of five French drains, each about a foot and a half deep, 12" to 15" across, filling each with gravel, topped by larger stones. The larger stones to slow the flow. For a month now empty the Black first, followed by the Gray, then some hosed spraying and no bad smells, in fact none. To improve the system further I may add a layer of charcoal to each drain. Any further advice or cautions?
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 07:42 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Suwanee , GA
Mistake yes. I think he got the point. Go easy on him. He is a fellow streamer that should have asked for advice first. We all live and learn
Seagars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 08:00 AM   #13
ObviouslyKnot

Currently Looking...
KAILUA , HI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seagars View Post
Mistake yes. I think he got the point. Go easy on him. He is a fellow streamer that should have asked for advice first. We all live and learn
Yes, you're right, please pardon me for my virtue signaling when someone is asking for help.

Rob Cope, here is the number for the San Juan Island Community Planning office. 3603782354, there is someone there with all the answers and advice you need to take care of your sewage.
Old 08-14-2017, 09:51 AM   #14
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

This assumes you own the land you are on. If you don't, that adds still another layer to all of the quite valid cautions above.

While the implementation is a bit off, the idea isn't all that bad. Make a few calls and find out what a "proper" system looks like in your area. I'd bet you find that it's not quite as crazy to do as you might think. Yes, it will cost you something. There are some legal ways to do it that are not insane. What is reasonable here may not make sense there so local knowledge is better than random guesses from afar.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 11:59 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Friday Harbor , Washington
I feel quite properly reprimanded. Thank you.
Rob Cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 12:13 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
belen , New Mexico
look up the local codes and decide as an adult what your willing to take on as personal responsibility.
My AZ mountain house has a grey water system that waters my front yard and its legal to do that in AZ~
alantbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 01:45 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
This has got to be a "joke" post! I can't believe anyone in this day and age would even consider doing this......
For whatever it's worth

Larry C
Larry C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 01:47 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

Quote:

Yeah that was pretty swift huh?? Lots of people on here that love to point out other people's mistakes with out any real knowledge on the subject.

It actually sounds like your system is almost an anaerobic septic system with a leach field. It very well might be in compliance with local codes. But who knows, you'll have to look that up with the county or city you're in. It might require a few more things, or might might be totally off the reservation. Where I live cesspools are still legal, while anaerobic are not. I personally have an aerobic system that is a bit more complex. But I dump my trailer in there whenever necessary.

It's not like you strung a hose into your neighbors yard and pulled the handle. I commend you for putting some effort in and trying to make a legitimate solution. Look into it you might be almost right! Or keep on doing your thing, just don't put it on the interwebs.
thinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 02:01 PM   #19
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Quote:

A gentlemens response nicely done.
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 03:40 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1962 24' Tradewind
Buffalo , Wyoming
This may not be as big of deal as everyone is making of it. As a groundwater hydrologist, I have evaluated or designed numerous septic systems. This gentleman's proposal may in fact be halfway there. It all depends on the local geology, soil conditions, and proximity to other water resources. I would suggest contacting your county building department. They will guide you to the proper procedures. In many places, a system as small as he is suggesting will have minimal regulations. However, they will most likely require a perc test be conducted by a licensed professional. Regulations vary widely between jurisdictions.
Thalweg is offline   Reply With Quote