Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Full-Timing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-22-2010, 01:27 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
fort Lauderdale , Florida
Ladies and Full Timing

Hi Ladies (& husbands),

How do you like full-timing? Do you work? Kids? Pets? Cooking? How big is your airstream?

We are in our 40's and looking to possibly sell our FL house and go full-timing. We are currently in a 3 bedroom, 2 bath house and rarely use 2 of the bedrooms, one as a guest room (and we hardly have guests) and the other as storage. We have 2 small dogs that would have no problem in the smaller space.

Like most people, we would love to get out of the expense of the house along with everything that goes with it, taxes, water, sewage, lawn care, repairs, etc, you get the idea.

I am currently not working, but would love to do something that would allow me to travel. My husband owns an electronics company and frequently works from home. He would also like to travel more and work from home full-time as he does a lot of his work on the computer.

He can live in a box......I never thought I could live in anything that small!
The traveling and seeing the country side is definitely a selling point! I could easily get rid of all the "junk" I/we have collected over time and store items we don't want to part with.

How has it worked for you and what, if any, sacrifices have you made to make it work and is that a happy thing?

Thanks, and I look forward to your replies.

Donna
Khulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 01:36 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khulse View Post
Hi Ladies (& husbands),

How do you like full-timing? Do you work? Kids? Pets? Cooking? How big is your airstream?

We are in our 40's and looking to possibly sell our FL house and go full-timing. We are currently in a 3 bedroom, 2 bath house and rarely use 2 of the bedrooms, one as a guest room (and we hardly have guests) and the other as storage. We have 2 small dogs that would have no problem in the smaller space.

Like most people, we would love to get out of the expense of the house along with everything that goes with it, taxes, water, sewage, lawn care, repairs, etc, you get the idea.

I am currently not working, but would love to do something that would allow me to travel. My husband owns an electronics company and frequently works from home. He would also like to travel more and work from home full-time as he does a lot of his work on the computer.

The traveling and seeing the country side is definitely a selling point! I could easily get rid of all the "junk" I/we have collected over time and store items we don't want to part with.

How has it worked for you and what, if any, sacrifices have you made to make it work and is that a happy thing?

Donna
Donna before you commit - may I humbly submit that you contact som KOA's in your area. Many of them have a deal with Airstream where they have one or more Airstreams for rent on the property. It isn't traveling - but two or three nights spent in one might sway you strongly one way or another - and even at $65+ per night it's teriffically cheaper than buying and finding out the small space makes you stir crazy. If you find you love it and a bedroom with non-curved walls and ceiling seems abnormal... well then you've just contracted "Aluminitis" and it's time to start looking seriously. BATES RV is one of the bigger Airstream Dealers in the country located in Mid Florida on the gulf side.

Paula
Old 12-22-2010, 01:44 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Ladies and Full Timing

Thank you Paula, that is definitely something to consider. We have been to Bates and they do have quite the selection.

Are you a full timer? Alone or with a partner?

Donna
Old 12-22-2010, 01:52 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Donna,

There are many posts on the two blogs, current and past, by Rich Luhr of Airstream Life. Take a look over there about fulltiming: Airstream Life

Bill

Quote:
Hi Ladies (& husbands),

Donna
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 02:09 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Thank you Paula, that is definitely something to consider. We have been to Bates and they do have quite the selection.

Are you a full timer? Alone or with a partner?

Donna
Donna I'm living semi-stationary in my Airstream - not married. Had a husband once but he's long gone, forgiven and pretty much forgotten.

I know many couples who happily fulltime and a few others who... well they appear to stay married largely because they have separate lives and abodes.

I can travel for my business but many of our customers like face time with me and while every time I hitch up I get a stupid grin all ovah my face, I just don't know if I'd really enjoy travelling for months at a time... especially alone.

Advice?
  1. make your own decision - be sensitive to your husband's needs, but if you find you hate traveling and he loves it - be brutally honest rather than long suffering.
  2. If you decide you are ready to "go for it" - start with a limited term commitment and the understanding that after six months or a year you have have the right to call it quits with "a get-out-of jail guilt free card"
  3. If you're going for it you MUST learn to tow. You must be able to hitch up and unhitch unassisted AND learn to back into a parking spot. I can do it all and must because there isn't an invisible man to do it for me, but literally 9 out of 10 women I meet cannot even consider towing a trailer. Then hubby slips on the steps and breaks his arm, collar bone and clavical in six places. Someone has to tow the trailer back home while dear hubby recovers. Not a good time to learn. Duct taping your husbands hands together and putting a spare piece over his mouth helps according to some.
  4. READ and LEARN and take your time before buying. Get a realistic idea of what it will cost to own a trailer. Nothing is maintenance free.
Paula
Old 12-22-2010, 02:23 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Again, thank you Paula,

I am really trying hard to make my "own" decision. I love the thought of seeing the country, changing neighborhoods, and neighbors (hehe) whenever we feel like it. We both enjoy S.FL as well as the Carolina's, etc., and the idea of chasing 75 degrees is not a bad idea.

We have definitely discussed the "get-out-of-jail" guilt free card!

And yes, you are correct, I really do need to learn to tow!

We have had motorhomes and currently own a 5th wheel toy hauler (love to take the bikes with us). So camping in one is not new. We lived in the current one for 3 months this time last year in Dallas, TX. Also learned not to use the propane for heat and bought an electric heater that came in very handy!! Not so bad for 3 months except the location could have been better.

Thanks
Donna
Old 12-22-2010, 03:29 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
This will be followed by all kinds of howling from those who can not think beyond Airstream. While Airstream do have many advantages that command a lot of loyal followers they do have significant limitation in there is very limited exterior storage for you stuff.

There are several full time Airstreamers on the forum and if any of them step forward you want to open that point in your discussion.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 07:00 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Largo , Florida
Donna, I'm living full time and working full time in my 24' Airstream. I have no interest in moving back to a conventional house ever. I moved out of a 35' motor home, 4 boats, Chicago Condo, 4 cars and added 2 houses in Florida. I've been living in my AS for over 2 years in Largo, Fl. Getting rid of all the stuff was the hardest part. I finally have only my TV (towing vehicle) small storage shed for storage on my AS lot. and a little bit of out door furniture.
I'm in a clean and very nice RV park that is family owned. The price is very reasonable and Largo is a great community. I'm only one person - if there was another person I would go for the largest VINTAGE I could find. Do a complete redo with the layout that you want. Go with an Airstream instead of a white box - you'll have more fun.
The suggestion to rent an airstream for a few days is a wonderful idea. You then would have a feeling of what you need and where you would like it.
Good luck!
Judy
Old 12-22-2010, 07:19 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1966 30' Sovereign
1963 22' Safari
orlando , Florida
I think Wally had the right idea when he said Airsteams were never meant to be a permanent residence.Travel,have fun,experiences and park it until the wanderlust feelings resurface.
richie rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 09:22 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1990 34' Excella
Springfield , Missouri
Arrow ....since Halloween and Sticking With It!

First comes to mind - how did I ever collect that much 'junk'???? and, what a relief it will be to get it off my back.

No, don't miss the big house - or the big utility bills, or the daily housekeeping and maintenance - miss a few of the squirrels that I'd watched grow up, but I think I recognize a few of their relatives here.

We have a business and I don't 'work' at the business - but that's where we're parking the AS so I'm always involved with the business - and I like that. I understand better what goes on in the course of my husband's day - that helps - and I think I'll get more and more involved -

No kids, but our dogs are our kids........schnauzers, so they all think they're kids too. They all have their own crates in the AS - and have 'kamped' since they were pups so they're all just fine about living here - . I'm fine with smaller space to maintain. Love my little kitchen - everything within reach.

Haven't seen a 'downside' yet. Just having to retrain myself to stop collecting.......

jan
bugnot1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 07:04 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Well Merry Christmas,
You are all very helpful, thanks for your input and advice. I'm writing from our fithwheel in central Florida while we visit family for Christmas. Tomorrow we are off to Bates to see what we can do.

Thanks!
Old 12-26-2010, 10:16 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1963 19' Globetrotter
1967 17' Caravel
1974 29' Ambassador
Top of the 395 , British Columbia
My wife and I don't miss the stuff you accumulate when living in a big house. Once in a while, we miss the space for our dogs to run amok, but overall it is a positive experience. Let us know how your shopping trip goes!
redthies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 01:43 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Well, we came across 2 we like, a 30' Serenity Int'l and a 31' Classic limited. I (Donna) love the Classic for the warm homey feeling of the wood, wall coverings,
love the all in one bathroom and the extra big closet but the couch in this is not the most comfortable.

My 2nd choice, and my husband (Kelly) liked the best was the Serenity. It's L-shaped couch was the best! I love all of the storage in this one and the LED lighting. I'm just not sure about the all aluminum walls with no coverings, seems a little cold to me.

Getting rid of all of our stuff is the hard part! I don't mind getting rid of the majority of it and keeping what we want in a storage unit, it's just the actual getting rid of it!! What do you do with it!?! Garage sale, flea market, open house.....??? Any recommendations??

Thanks again!
Old 12-27-2010, 02:27 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Indian Harbor Beach , Florida
Go to Bates, we unfortunately bought ours there, then go to JD Sanders in Alachua.....great people to work with. Isn't the TAMPA RV show in Jan? Thats where we bought ours and there is lots to see and walk thru.
JD Sanders is small and very personable and the service dept is wonderful.
Enjoy the hunt!
kidsgone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 04:19 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Perhaps the uncomfortable sofa in the 31' Classic can be replaced with two recliners. AS does offer recliners in at least one of their trailers, DH and I sat in them in a showroom just outside of Minneapolis. We are still wondering if we should do this in our 31' Classic '95. Just a suggestion, but it might be your answer. ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 04:55 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxandgeorgia View Post
Perhaps the uncomfortable sofa in the 31' Classic can be replaced with two recliners. AS does offer recliners in at least one of their trailers, DH and I sat in them in a showroom just outside of Minneapolis. We are still wondering if we should do this in our 31' Classic '95. Just a suggestion, but it might be your answer. ~G
That couch in our 30' Classic Ltd was one uncomfortable beast! No way would I ever want to fulltime with it..instead, I'd consider replacing it with 2 large Ekornes recliners, and a slight remodel..something at least one and maybe more others have done.
Old 12-28-2010, 08:28 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

New Smyrna Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfisher View Post
That couch in our 30' Classic Ltd was one uncomfortable beast! No way would I ever want to fulltime with it..instead, I'd consider replacing it with 2 large Ekornes recliners, and a slight remodel..something at least one and maybe more others have done.
We have two of these at home, any full timing or extended travel will require that they come along... wonder if removing the dinette in a 19' Bambi would accommodate them??

Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 09:20 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Hi Donna, My husband and I have been fulltiming for almost eight months now. We went from a 3 bedroom 2 bath house to a 900 sqft apt and now 34' Airstream Classic Limited. Let me tell you the apt was 'painful' but the airstream has been perfect. We originally moved because my husband had a health scare and we were told that most likely he wouldn't be able to work i.e. 'no income'. In order to survive on my income alone we simpified dramatically. Well, to make a long story short my hus' health hasn't been any more than a tremendous scare. But I can't tell you how glad I am to have been pushed into the airstream life. We honestly feel like this is our forever home and have no desire to ever own a house again and pay property taxes-yuck. In fact, how we wish that we had been exposed to living like this earlier- We would never have fooled w houses or apts to begin with. We have made some mods that suit our lifestyle and I think that has helped. We are a young couple and we are already dreaming of all the places we want to travel with our silver bullet!
~Yevette
yve79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 09:57 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1990 34' Excella
Springfield , Missouri
First thing we did when we brought home our 34' was to stop at our shop and crowbar the couch 'OUT' and toss the chair. They weren't in good shape - at all. After we put in a seriously stuffed two cushion loveseat and a smaller - but comfortable recliner. Now, being fulltime - I see the need to lose the loveseat and go toward an L-shaped lounge or two recliners.......

If we entertain at all, it will be in the spring, summer, fall - and it will happen outside on the picnic table and on the patio - so, inside the AS will be a 'two person acomodation' only. Yes, we have an SOB too......a 22' Holiday Rambler that I set up as a 'quick traveler' and a guest house for my son when he comes home from Iraq.......and he loves it. To those who want to visit and prefer 'non-wheeled visiting' - there's a lot of nice hotels in Springfield )

Now, where did I put that 'thing-a-ma-jig'???

jan
bugnot1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 01:35 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Hi Jan
That is exactly what we are looking for - an L shaped lounge. Do you know of any good resources for them?

Thanks
~Yevette
yve79 is offline   Reply With Quote