Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Full-Timing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-07-2013, 04:05 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Campbell , California
jury duty

Newbie here--I've been reading the threads on residency, mail services, etc. It occurred to me that no one has mentioned jury summons. For those who fulltime, how do you handle that?
mykabyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 04:10 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
You can respond that you are out of town. That issue presupposes one has a mail checker at least weekly for official notices and forwards those to the recipient at a temporary address somewhere.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 04:26 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Usually there is a range of time within which you have to serve. Where we live, you have a year.

If you get served, call the number on the summons, explain that you are out of town and they will reschedule you.

Maggie
Old 09-08-2013, 01:46 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Campbell , California
jury duty

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
Usually there is a range of time within which you have to serve. Where we live, you have a year. If you get served, call the number on the summons, explain that you are out of town and they will reschedule you.
I've done that before, but they've always asked when I can serve.

So what you're saying is, pick a date (maybe the date I have to go back anyway to take care of driver's licenses, car/trailer registration, etc.), and give the jury people that date?

I'm not trying to get out of serving, I just don't want anyone official coming after me if I don't make it back.
mykabyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 02:18 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by mykabyka View Post
So what you're saying is, pick a date (maybe the date I have to go back anyway to take care of driver's licenses, car/trailer registration, etc.), and give the jury people that date?
No, there will be a jury calendar, I believe it is called, periods of time when juries are needed.

They give you the timeframes, you pick an alternwte from those.....at least, that's how it works in our county. .

Maggie
Old 09-08-2013, 02:39 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Not sure about Santa Clara County, but in San Luis Obispo County where we live, you can request one postponement and select the date of your choice up to 6 months from your summons date. If you are gone longer than that call them and explain. They are usually very easy to work with. You may also want to check the Santa Clara County Jury Services website to determine their policies.
Old 09-08-2013, 02:51 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
I was called once for pre jury duty, was asked if military vet, excused for this reason never called again as they excuse vets.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 12:29 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
After my Navy experience helping to run military "trials" where the person in question can get more punishment than at Captain's mast (guilty until proven innocent) and serving as Shore Patrol officer at a large Naval base for several months, I come into the civilian situation with a strong bias that neither side wants on the jury.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 04:34 AM   #9
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
After my Navy experience helping to run military "trials" where the person in question can get more punishment than at Captain's mast (guilty until proven innocent) and serving as Shore Patrol officer at a large Naval base for several months, I come into the civilian situation with a strong bias that neither side wants on the jury.
"There, but for the Grace of God, go I..."

To sit in "judge" of another mere mortal is difficult for all us , "been there, tried that" as part if life crowd. There are some who thrive on it and are to be carefully monitored for proper medication.

Then there are some who recognize our "civil duty"...as burdensome, yet, necessarily hopeful...then the lawyers show up. God bless them, they, like us all, need it.

Then you hear about DAs who withhold evidence to gain convictions like what happened here some 20 years ago, incarcerating an innocent man...by intentional manipulations. SICK! The guy is free now, but his wife and over 20 years are gone... Due to intentional LYING by those who "defend truth"....for this one reason it brings the whole system into question. I would forever have the burden on my heart that I convicted an innocent. Heavy stuff.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 04:47 AM   #10
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
It is going to vary from state to state and county to county. I had my jury duty excused for several years due to always working out of state. Last year they finally caught me working more or less local.

Our local jury duty has gone to a phone based call in system. When you pull jury duty they give you a phone number to call after the 6pm the night before, they will tell you at that time if you are needed the next day, call in again the next day or released. Saves them a bunch of money by not having everybody sitting around a jury holding room collecting their $12 a day.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 06:40 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB International
_ , North Carolina
I received a jury summons notice from my hometown in FL once several years ago when I had first joined the Marines. Sent back the letter saying I was stationed out of state and haven't received another notice since.

As a Marine Officer I have had to be the officer in a Summary Court Martial several times. The accused has to agree to plead guilty and I would hear the accused's pleas for leniency and or their excuse for doing what they did. From memory I could give up to 45 days restriction, 30 days in the brig, and/or 1/2 pay deduction for a month. Most were very easy to give a sentence to since they had deserted or gone UA for their deployment to Afghanistan. Still was not fun judging or giving punishment like that though. Glad I don't have to do that anymore.
FLMarine is offline   Reply With Quote