Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Full-Timing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-28-2018, 11:56 AM   #21
1 Rivet Member

Wallingford , Vermont
We do it in a 25 ft FB with two standard poodles (65 and 70 lbs) quite happily. We DO have the table permanently down to provide a larger lounging area for the four of us on rainy days. They have quickly learned the dance and go to their spots unless, of course, they sense a treat or early dinner on the way.
poodlegals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 12:50 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Myakka City , Florida
Of course!
thebaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 01:25 PM   #23
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
Stacked Sleeping Quarters

Why is it that people who haven't attempted something know the outcome with such certainty?

Of course, there are factors that govern any particular situation but the uniqueness of your combination and the dog's personalities will be the determining circumstance. We do three months regularly, not full-time, with two extremely well trained Danes in a 28' and it works for us.

Our Danes find two walks a day and a short exercise period sufficient for their activity needs and don't require much space; though one in the hallway at a time is a given. Each is well over 150 pounds, their tails remain vertical inside and nothing (and no-one) has been swatted or knocked over in nine years including their water bowl. They do have custom made, full body raincoats so wet/cold weather has been a very manageable occurrence.

As best buds, sleeping space does not require much more than a similar sized human sitting. Your Shepadoodle, as a more active breed, may be the crucial element to assess.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Danes Sleeping.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	163.2 KB
ID:	309684  

Sir Tristan
Air #48582, S/SO #003, WBCCI #4584
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 01:25 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
Galena , Illinois
dog lover

No, this is not possible. Living any longer amount of time in an AS is like living in a dorm. Hardly room for the 2 of you. Sorry, nice dogs though.
75Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 01:41 PM   #25
Toaster Life

2010 23' International
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamnsilver View Post
My husband and I will have 2 great dane puppies and a doodle. We strongly want to go full time in our 88 Excella 1000 32foot. Is this even a possibility?

On big criteria is where are you going to be spending your time - you should probably not count on National Parks, you should never leave your pups unattended in the AS, and they are not allowed on most hiking paths.

You may have a little more flexibility in State Parks, but again, you will have to keep them on leash at all times, which does not sound like much fun for them. I have seen people build little pens for small dogs, but barking dogs of any size do not make for popular neighbors at the camp site.

Also the restrictions in how long you can stay will have you moving frequently.

So if National and State parks are off your list the next step is commercial campgrounds, these often have dog park areas so your pups will be able to run around a little but again space and quality of the facility varies a lot.

I know Danes can be couch potatoes, but keeping them so penned in all the time does not seem very kind to me.

So in summary can you do it? - probably yes with a lot of compromises on your part and the pups part too. Should you do it?

Especially consider how you will cope in bad weather, rain, mud etc. or very hot weather.... bottom line you probably should never leave them alone and unattended, (unlike at home where they have a little space and the conditions are more predictable, and the neighbours out of earshot), so any thoughts of "freedom" to roam go out the window.
Toasterlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 02:12 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
Quote:
My husband and I will have 2 great dane puppies and a doodle. We strongly want to go full time in our 88 Excella 1000 32foot. Is this even a possibility?

That would depend on how much respect you have for your neighbors in the campground, and if you use a 6' leash, or an "extendable" leash.....

Just sayin'

Larry C
Larry C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 02:48 PM   #27
Classy Roscoe

At a park in Santa Fe, we had a couple with three large dog camping. They rented two spaces. The husband pulled a 28’ SOB and the wife pulled a 12’ tear drop. The dogs had their own tear drop. The humans had the SOB. They were in a 6 month travel the nation tour.

Be sure to take pictures and post frequently.
Jekerrville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 03:56 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Greeneville , Tennessee
Anything is possible, well almost anything. But the question is "Do you really want to?"
jimfa440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 04:17 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

Livingston , Texas
You can't roller skate in a buffalo herd.
dzwiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 04:23 PM   #30
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Shepadoodle - so a guard dog with a poodle cut and a pompadour? 🤣

Seriously, though, that sounds like a lotta dog for full-timing in an Airstream.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 06:41 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Hailey , Idaho
Yippie has a good point...with three large dogs (when the pups are grown) piling out of the AS at a park you'll see a bunch of raised eyebrows. You can win such skeptics over by keeping these hounds under control and friendly. Have fun.
B00merang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 12:23 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Is it possible to fulltime in an Airstream with 2 great danes and a shepadoodle?

Heck, we got raised eyebrows with our pack of five smallish dogs, wife, and daughter in a 22 footer. Got the weirdest looks as we passed dogs out the sliding panel in the screen door for walkies...

IMHO the dogs will decide the AS is just a nice silver doghouse, and behave quite well. Ours do, and they really love traveling...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 08:16 AM   #33
Stay Calm and Stream On

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Palm Springs , California
I would by a Enerzen Commercial Ozone Generator, and run it once a week for 10 minutes. Make sure all people and animals are not inside when using. Then vent air for 10 minutes and you will have a clean, neutral smelling environment.

This is the best way to sanitize the inside of the Airstream from orders and even prohibit the growth of mold. I also use it in the TV when the AC starts to get a little musty.
HHPJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 08:36 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
North Central Texas , USA
There are, as expected, some interesting answers to your query. My wife and I have been doing this for many years. We are rarely surprised at the ingenuity and capability of fellow RVers to happily live a lot 'larger' than would be expected with any given size Airstream, RV, or Motorhome.

I know we have not seen everything yet. However, if we see a couple with 2 Great Danes and a Shepadoodle (if we recognize the 'breed') in an Airstream while we're on the road, we'll come by and say hello.
RivetED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 09:14 AM   #35
1 Rivet Member

1992 34' Excella
Humble , Texas
It depends on the dogs temperaments almost as much as your own preferences. Currently, I full time in a similar Airstream. My small dog (about 25lbs) thinks he has to follow me everywhere in the trailer and is always underfoot. When my boyfriend and his 90+ lb chocolate lab visit, Gus (the lab) is so calm that he finds a spot to lay down and stays there. It sometimes means stepping around him, but despite his size he is easier to deal with in the trailer than Scamp, the little one. That said, we do great with two people and two dogs. Both of us are casual and easy going. Best of luck!
RosieRides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 11:28 AM   #36
3 Rivet Member

Newcastle , Oklahoma
Quote:
I live in a 2000+ sq ft house and wouldn't try that. Animals are made for the outdoors. If it doesn't bath and brush its teeth everyday it doesn't stay in my living quarters.

But, Each to his own!
Good Luck
MC
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote