Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Full-Timing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-12-2017, 05:00 PM   #41
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Greenback , Tennessee
Take your time and buy pre-owned

Airstreams are expensive, but most of the folks here thought it was worth it. I would have trouble springing for a new one, since I have bought two used trailers that I would prefer to new ones. Both were barely used, had been stored inside and came with lots of neat stuff. I saved a lot of money on these rigs; money that I used in other enjoyable ways.

Living in Alaska, you may not have as wide a selection as we in the Lower 48 do, so you might have to drive a ways to buy used. I drove from Tennessee to Houston for my present trailer and consider it time and money well spent.

Good luck.

Richard
Gneiss Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 06:32 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2000 30' Excella
1999 30' Excella 1000
Low Country , South Carolina
Seems to me you want to compare an Airstream to any other brand which is like comparing the Mercedes to a VW ....

It is iconic. Consider ... Corvette....Harley Davidson... or any other icon that has outlived the rest. Airstream has been around for about 80 years...

Regarding which one to buy...that is very personal and yo will get a hundred different opinions... you have to make your own decision. Take a look, the one you buy will be the one that fits you and your needs.

PS...we are on our 4th Airstream and have loved them all even though they have all been different. So don't over think it...summer is here, you are wasting time, you should be camping. Good luck..
Old 04-12-2017, 06:36 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
Being Scottish, I like to say " I'm not cheap, I'm frugal" and yet I am on my 3rd Airstream and I wouldn't own anything else.
gandttimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 07:52 PM   #44
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Naperville , Illinois
“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.”
― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
1995 & 2004 Gary Fisher Hoo-Koo-e-Koo emergency vehicles
pt.reyesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 08:54 PM   #45
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Bronx , New York
You know when something is good? When the design has not changed much in 20,30,40 years. Think ROLEX, JEEP WRANGLER, ROLLS ROYCE. Same thing with AIRSTREAM, that is when you know something has been done right and it won't change. It will most likely outlive you and you can pass it down to the kids, and they will still LOVE it!
Ivan M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 09:14 PM   #46
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Madison , Alabama
Design criteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith279 View Post
if Airstream really is worth the exceptionally high cost? Are their any competitors?
Airstreams are designed for recreational camping trips of a few weeks duration in temperate conditions, not including high temps or frigid conditions. If that use fits what you have in mind, & you will store your trailer inside a building the remainder of the time; you will enjoy owning an Airstream trailer. If use is different, you will have to cope with using a piece of equipment beyond its design capacity. That's where this great forum comes in. The folks here know how to do it.

Excellent competitors include: Featherlite all aluminum riveted trailers, Winnebago all weather aluminum superstructure fiberglass trailers, & ATC trailers.

You will have to decide if it's worth it to own an Airstream. What's your criteria? How does an Airstream rate compared to a similar sized trailer by another manufacturer?

Going through the purchasing of a new RV is one of the best times in the RV hobby, so enjoy the search !

Let's Roll !
Wolf, 🐾
Wolf Alaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 09:22 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Alaska View Post
Airstreams are designed for recreational camping trips of a few weeks duration in temperate conditions, not including high temps or frigid conditions. If that use fits what you have in mind, & you will store your trailer inside a building the remainder of the time; you will enjoy owning an Airstream trailer. If use is different, you will have to cope with using a piece of equipment beyond its design capacity?

Let's Roll !
Wolf, 🐾
We'll, we have used ours in minus weather and major plus weather. We haven't stored any of the 3 under cover and we use it for more than a few weeks of the year. I don't think they have to be treated like glass.
I think they are very capable trailers and that's why we have owned 3.
gandttimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 09:51 PM   #48
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Madison , Alabama
Someone changed my text when quoting me. I used no question mark after design capacity, it was a period.

Thanks, Wolf
Space Shuttle Design Engineer (Ret)
Wolf Alaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 10:01 PM   #49
3 Rivet Member

2012 30' International
Ferndale , Washington
Being from Alaska you might consider that these aren't 4 season units. On our current trip we have been in weather down to 18 degrees. Below freezing the aluminum interior walls feel cold, the floor is cold, and the gas furnace runs a lot! It is super easy to pull and the interior quality is great but if you are camping below freezing much, look at a true 4 season trailer, with heated underbelly and freeze protected holding tanks and valves. Also, in AZ when temps are north of 100, the AC on ours is noisy and runs all the time to keep up.
Riverdrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 10:23 PM   #50
2 Rivet Member

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Hillsborito , Oregon
Every penny!
i2oadRunnei2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 10:49 PM   #51

2007 25' Safari FB SE
san lorenzo , California
well said,you bring up some interesting points.
backdoor man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 01:30 AM   #52
4 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Manteca , California
Follow your heart. There's an excitement around it because it's an Airstream. We had a class c for a few years before buying our Airstream. We have not regretted one moment of our decision. We're happy we have it and not settling with SOB. Yes, Airstreams are a lot of money. They have a great esthetic feel that is inviting and it's difficult to put a value on that. Here's an eloquent quote from a SOB owner from another rv forum-

"Airstreams are a weird product. Realistically any other travel trailer will match them feature for feature, at a much lower price point. Most other brands will have more space for less price, most are better featured.

Wearing your boring beige pants, Airstreams don't make much sense. At all.

But, looking at it from another point of view... No RV makes sense. Tents really serve the same purpose... So why do we buy RV's? Because we like them.

Airstreams aren't just a product that people "like". They're something that people fall in love with. Some people will never understand why Airstreams even exist. Other people would never buy anything else. They're really a product you buy because you're an airstream enthusiast. It's a product you cherish, and enjoy just for the sake of enjoying. It's a purchase you make with your heart, not your head. It makes no sense, but there is nothing wrong with that at all.

I'd never buy an Airstream. They just aren't for me. However, I'd never ever criticize anyone who has one, and the RV world would be a worse place without Airstreams in it. They're not for everyone... And that's exactly why they're so special."

Enough said. Good luck!

2016 27 Flying Cloud FB
2005 GMC Yukon XL 2500 4x4, Equal-i-zer Hitch, 4.10 axle ratio.
4riveteers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 06:26 AM   #53

2017 30' Flying Cloud
Northport , Colorado
More benefits than any other brand

I've had a fifth wheel and a Class A.... purchased a new '17 FC 30 and love it. As with ANY TT, (especially new), there WILL be minor hiccups....doesn't matter what you pay. I have a bad water pump (back flow valve broken), and have gone through 2 stove hood fans....things that should have been caught in Quality Control. But, I have friends who had a fridge go out on their brand new Holiday Rambler ($400K)... so expect there to always be a breaking-in period. The interior of an AS has a modern, European feel to it. Everything from the furniture design, to the all LED lighting system, comfy memory foam seats, and all the built-in features you don't even realize are there. It's "solid" compared to other TTs.

Add this with EASE of towing. I've towed a Keyston Passport and had to work to keep it in the lane with trucks suck you up, then push you out.... this has NOT happened with my AS. I didn't even realize there was incoming windstorm until I saw flags standing straight out.

You do have to streamline what you carry... but hey, that's all part finding the Freedom that AS brings!!

Best of luck in your search!
RLNSTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 07:40 AM   #54
4 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
2014 30' Classic
Princeton , Iowa
Yes

I asked that same question 6 years ago, I could not believe it could be worth the money. Well now 6 years, 20,000 miles and 350 nights later I am sold. I am 74 with a little money and can spend lots of time camping.
larryglarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 08:03 AM   #55
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverdrifter View Post
Being from Alaska you might consider that these aren't 4 season units. On our current trip we have been in weather down to 18 degrees. Below freezing the aluminum interior walls feel cold, the floor is cold, and the gas furnace runs a lot! It is super easy to pull and the interior quality is great but if you are camping below freezing much, look at a true 4 season trailer, with heated underbelly and freeze protected holding tanks and valves. Also, in AZ when temps are north of 100, the AC on ours is noisy and runs all the time to keep up.
My little 22' Sport was customized for Alaska by it's former owner, with heated tanks and furnace-blown belly-pans. It has "mouse fur" on interior walls which keep temps moderate in extreme weather. The only thing I'd have done differently would have to be done during construction...insulate the red PEX hot water lines and heat the external shower.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 08:16 AM   #56
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
So far...

We looked at a few SOB trailers, but never seriously considered one because we liked the look of AS trailers. We looked for a used one, but couldn't find what we wanted and decided to purchase new. Based on everything I've read on this forum, we got a good price at the time, and I've since seen similar used ones where they were asking more than what we paid. So we feel that we got a new one for a price that we can live with, and we've been having a blast using it, so yes, so far it has been worth the price of admission.
SeaLevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 08:18 AM   #57
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Bronx , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxite View Post
My little 22' Sport was customized for Alaska by it's former owner, with heated tanks and furnace-blown belly-pans. It has "mouse fur" on interior walls which keep temps moderate in extreme weather. The only thing I'd have done differently would have to be done during construction...insulate the red PEX hot water lines and heat the external shower.
Would love to see pics of this interior.
Ivan M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 08:32 AM   #58
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
Tyler , Texas
Absolutely and buy the most Airstream you can comfortably afford. Your purchase will be there for you 30 years from now, but just like a car or a home it must be kept up and repaired as needed. I bought new in 2005 and have never regretted the
purchase and having grown up through the tents, pop up fold outs, VW camper, a
Moho, I always knew from about the age of 8 years old that I wanted an Airstream. Yes they are costly to purchase but it's a lifestyle you are entering much like a Harley owner. Go for it and have a wonderful time.
Alice&Billis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 08:34 AM   #59
Rivet Master

1958 18' "Footer"
Idyllwild , California
Really? asking people who bought one if they would buy one?
maybe you should try another forum to find out what they think!

PS depends on your financial state, buy the best you can afford.
1958 California Built 18' #18-4092
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f106...on-122678.html
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 09:11 AM   #60
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Santa Barbara , California
Commitment

Buying an Airstream is a commitment of cash. But if you're not sure of your commitment to camping, then perhaps you're not ready for the cash commitment.
If you're sure about the camping part, but still unsure of the Airstream experience, try renting one-- (like https://silverbulletvacations.com/ or airstream2go.com/ in the Southwestern USA) or merely camp in one already sited in an RV resort (like, but not limited to flyingflags.com/ or https://autocamp.com/ ).
Happy glamping!
dmslawson is offline   Reply With Quote