Old 04-13-2017, 09:58 AM   #61
2 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Penokee , Kansas
No question for us..

We started with tents and moved up to a well used 5th wheel.. Loved the floor plan and everything worked just fine..

It had a gap in the left rear corner when we got it used and I felt a little pucky would seal the leak and all would be fine for years. I was wrong.. Our first long trip to Colo. I noticed in the RV mirror a bulging with the trailer sides going down the road.. Turns out the entire corner was rotted out, along with most of the sleeping area..

After hours of work replacing wood framing and seeing the poor fit of the ALL the wood frame joints and the long staples holding the entire trailer together I told my wife,, Its time for a Airstream..

Yes they can have issues,, they can have leaks,, and other problems like any other man made item. BUT,, they are fixable and worth the repair where that 5th wheel we had was junk the first day it rolled off the dealers lot.

Our 1970 Overlander has some road rash from 40 + years of abuse and use,, but its still a solid trailer that will more than likely be passed down to my son once we are too old to travel.
Sodbust NW Kansas

Sodbust1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 10:52 AM   #62
2 Rivet Member

2015 19' Flying Cloud
Ashland , Kentucky
The Real Question is: Is there Value?

Here is something to really think about (Fair Warning: This will not be popular in the Forums) and I've posted a very similar response on another thread:

At first, I looked at a 23FC, really liked that, then I fell in love with the 16 BUT, I didn't like the the wet bath and then discovered the 19FC and bought that. It is a great unit (at least mine was) with very few 'issues'.

If I were to do it again (given that I now travel to matches with my DW) I'd buy either the 23 front queen or the 25 or perhaps a bunk model to enhance sleeping arrangements. We travel to matches throughout the states and sleep is very important to both of us. Being comfortable and having a few luxuries like hot showers and our own bathroom are equally important. I realize lots of folks here use campgrounds and their facilities, but I'm not one of them. Also, I'd make sure I had a bigger towing vehicle.

Getting to the heart of your question:
Changes I've made since buying the 19FC - I traded the 2015 19FC in against a 2016 Riverside Retro 195 - looks cool, but not an AS (BTW: I got a really big check with my new unit! In fact, I could have bought 2 units and had some change left over.). Then I traded that for a another Retro, this one a 2017 189R Lodge edition, way cooler, very spacious, lots of storage, big tanks, beautiful wood veneer throughout the inside, and fairly light for the size when compared to the AS (BTW: after a year's use, my trade only cost $1,500, so obviously it held its value using the dealer trade-in buying method).

Having both an AS and now the Retros, I can honestly say that there is a slight quality difference as the AS are better, not perfect, but better. It's the little things: The wood, the screws, the rivets, the easier towing (low to the ground). However, I still have a hard time justifying the extra cost of an AS. Of course, this is just one of many opinions that you'll get, but you really owe it to yourself to compare other units (often referred to here as 'Some Other Brands' or SOB). Some are a waste of time and others are pretty cool, it all matters on what you're looking for.

Final thought, you can buy 3 Retros for the price of 1 FC19 - BUT - The Retros will never be an Airstream, ever. And at the end of the day, that is basically what you are paying for - that beautiful iconic Silver camper. Is it worth it? Depends on if you are looking for a good looking functional camper or the ultimate camping status symbol. I know it's not PC around here to say that, but how else do you justify the excessive cost? Art is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

Held together with the Husky Centerline Hitch
LongShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 01:38 PM   #63
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Argyle , Texas
Very good suggestions in the earlier posts. I would add to the buy "used" concept. Patience in finding what you think you want. I started out with a 25 '. Bought a 28' at a good price; sold the 25' for a profit. I will tell you that I owned 2 of them for a few weeks and that was ok - with our circumstances. The reason we went with AS in the first place is the pull. We also own a 38 ' motor home. My husband has Macular Degenertion, and is not comfortable with my driving the motor home. The AS trails better than any trailer I have ever pulled and we have owned many brands of travel trailers, horse trailers, etc. You will not find any brand that will out perform the AS.
Worth what they cost? NO!!! if you insist on the new and can afford to lose the depre-ciation - go for it. My best wishes - either way, you won't regret your decision.
Betty Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 06:28 PM   #64
3 Rivet Member

2012 30' International
Ferndale , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxite View Post
My little 22' Sport was customized for Alaska by it's former owner, with heated tanks and furnace-blown belly-pans. It has "mouse fur" on interior walls which keep temps moderate in extreme weather. The only thing I'd have done differently would have to be done during construction...insulate the red PEX hot water lines and heat the external shower.

Not sure I would like mouse fur on the interior as it is one of the charms of an Airstream to have the shiny interior! I'm not sure why Airstream doesn't offer a unit with double pane windows and heated belly tanks. For the price seems like they should. The relatively thin walls and metal framing will always be a problem in cold weather. When it was below freezing, our butter and wine stored in cabinets was way to cold! (At least for a nice red!). My other issue is that when I sleep my arm often contacts the wall behind the bed and the cold wakes me up! Realize our month long trip (just got home today) was in Arizona, New Mexico and Utah primarily and I brought way too many shorts! It snowed on us at Canyon de Chelly and twice in Santa Fe. I'm still waiting for global warming to show itself. I am 6' tall and my other gripe is the "RV Queen" bed with rounded corners. I wish they could design a unit that at least had a 60x80 square corner queen!
Riverdrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 08:24 PM   #65
SipStreamer

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Lakeside , Montana
They don't just look good, they [I]continue[I] to look good. People still ask us if our 7 year old is brand-new.
StreamDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 08:30 PM   #66
Rivet Master

2008 22' Sport
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan M View Post
Would love to see pics of this interior.
Here it is with the dinette set up, (before) We converted the dinette to a queen and leave it that way, eating off of tv-tables sitting on the lounge. The "mousefur" is on all walls except the bath and the back-splash of the galley, which are both bare aluminum.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	69030.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	283348   Click image for larger version

Name:	584303.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	283349  

Name:	515692.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	283350   Click image for larger version

Name:	618887.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	283352  

Name:	174187.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	283353  
Attached Images

Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 01:06 AM   #67
3 Rivet Member

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Franklin Park , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith279 View Post
So we are in the initial stages of researching and setting a budget and I want to know if Airstream really is worth the exceptionally high cost? Are their any competitors even close to their quality that should be considered?

What your about to read is ONLY just my opinion

It is my opinion they (Airstreams) are over priced, new or used
Are they built better mmmmmm NO!
Airstream does not make the, stove, Air-conditioner, furnace, hot water heater, refrigerator / freezer, or microwave! They do not make the axels
I personally have had to get on top of my camper trailer (some other brand) and my Airstream motorhome... Flat roofs are great, especially for A/C repair the airstream roof scares me whenever I need to go up there.
The round roof robs you of much needed space on the interior,
People here are right, your going to need to be handy, oh ya and the parts are just as overpriced as the tin can you'll be putting them on.
Speaking of the tin can...
Ya ever notice you NEVER see a soda can with riveted seams? Ya know why? They Would leak like sieve!
Ya want to see a Airstream owner turn white with fear, just mention the word "hail"
I know I'm getting older but more then once I've been woke up to a wet bed, and no it wasn't me! Ever been up on a round wet slippery aluminum roof?
And probably the most important thing... Look at the floor plans for streams and other brands... I think (again ONLY my opinion) if someone put just the floor plans, of three different brands in front of you and asked you to honestly evaluate them and rank them in order I'd be willing to bet that no matter what the other brands were the Airstream wouldn't come first.
Keep in mind your going to loose 2-5% of the inner space, just do to the round roof
So why did I buy my airstream motor home... Because it was "Soooo cool" that's exactly the words the tow truck driver used as he hooked on to my riveted leaky can that sits on top of a 34 year old Chevy bread truck chassis.
But... At least I didn't buy new.
Sadly, I've seen posts on this forum of people who have paid $90,000.00 more then I have, and have similar problems, and the new motorhomes are on Mercedes chassis!
So do you want to be "cool"
Or do you want to be cool (like 10*f cooler) I may have neglected to mention what the sun does when it relentlessly beats down on that metal skin.
Airstream doesn't make the A/C unit, but they do make it work 10% harder)
Grosspoluter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 08:53 AM   #68
Rivet Master

2008 22' Sport
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grosspoluter View Post
...Ya ever notice you NEVER see a soda can with riveted seams? Ya know why? They Would leak like sieve! ,,,
Just because that's wrong.... I'm going to reply to your personal opinion: The reason soda cans are not riveted is because rivets are not needed for construction. The reason YOUR Airstream leaks is because it hasn't been properly maintained. SOBs leak crazily much sooner in their life-times than Airstreams do because of rubber roofs and difficult seams Airstreams don't have.

If you were merely criticizing riveted aluminum as being prone to leakage... being riveted isn't the cause of that problem you have. Improper inspection and maintenance is. Don't forget about airliners which are riveted aluminum that are pressurized much more than soda cans and carry far more valuable contents.
Riveted seams are much easier and more permanently fixed than SOBs with their commonly-found improper or short-lived roofing materials.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grosspoluter View Post
........Airstream doesn't make the A/C unit, but they do make it work 10% harder)
I'm not sure how you derived that figure. Curved aluminum surfaces are much less likely to absorb direct sun than flat surfaces, I believe, and Airstream roofs are WHITE to reflect much of whatever heat is radiated upon them. Aluminum also sheds heat faster than the rubber roofs of many SOBs. Also, if you've ever owned a rubber-roofed SOB of any age you'll be horrified to contemplate replacing that membrane with all those appliances like ACs and Vents, etc.. up there and all the seams needful of regular caulking. To top that off, the SOB roof that leaked (or the thin aluminum-foil roof that corroded due to incompatible adhesives SOBs use) will have rotted the particle-board sub-roof, so beware of walking around up there lest you fall through.

And Airstream trailers are not built on 34 year-old frame designs. Frames have been updated using heavier gauge steel, larger channels, and otherwise modernized over the years.

While being cool may be nice.... Knowing WHY owning an Airstream makes you cool is better.

George - (who has experienced the issues with SOBs and selected an Airstream because it's basic, riveted construction is so much better than SOB's)----- MY opinion.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 09:43 AM   #69
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Honestly, NO RV is worth the price if you are going to consider it as you do a car or truck. A dependable vehicle helps your employment, and perhaps even helps you advance your career/wealth. ALL RVs lose value and all require frequent upkeep. Seriously, when you figure in the storage, insurance, tow vehicle, etc. Well if you only use it 3 or 4 times a year it makes sense to rent one even at $2k per week.

IF your investing in your family and friendships and great memories... then Any RV can contribute to that end. Airstream style is unique... and if it lights your fire then it is worth it. Your experience is Personal. Only you can decide.

Happy trails, Paula
Old 04-14-2017, 09:44 AM   #70
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
KW , Ontario
it's an addiction

It is sort of like the difference between Fast Food and a Fine Restaurant. Both will get you fed, but which will you remember and cherish more?

To me the whole Airstream thing is an addiction. I thrive on it. It's sort of an adrenaline. I've had 3 other SOB trailers before the AS and none have gotten me as excited as the AS.

Btw, all trailers need maintenance. I would say just as much if not more on an SOB. Yes they can all leak. But on my last SOB I had the whole front end cave in on the highway due to rotted wood with an undetected leak. I have replaced 2 entire front ends on my last 2 SOBs. And not because I did not caulk the roof and seams at every chance I got. I did far more roof fixes and caulking on the last 2 SOBs than I have ever done the AS. And another note, my last trailer weighed half of what my current AS weighs and the fuel mileage is the same with the same TV. Yes the rounded edges do make a difference. When I sold my last 2 SOBs I got a fraction of what I paid in about 4 years time. From 22K down to 6K in 4 years. In my current AS I have lost less than that in 5 years time. I figured if I continued buying SOBs I would pay the same if not more in the long run.

Is it worth it? You have to decide.

Good luck.
gator.bigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 11:44 PM   #71
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Paula, I agree. You could pay for a lot of nights in a Comfort Inn before you would save money by traveling with an RV.

We just spent a month out in Colorado and Utah, and had all kinds of mechanical things go wrong, notably our furnace konking out during freezing temps at night while boondocking. But this can happen with any RV. Things also go wrong with most types of recreational investments, such as swimming pools, boats, horses, OHVs, and probably small planes, for all I know. If you buy a "toy" and use it, things will go wrong with it sooner or later.

To us, the question is more, "What do we want in an RV?" We have a sort of checklist of what we want and don't want. The small Airstream suits us perfectly, and we have yet to see another small RV that we like as well.

Whether the expense of an Airstream is worth it or not is, of course, a matter of individual budget, but also of individual taste.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 10:14 AM   #72
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Austin (winter) Lincoln MT (summer) , Texas & Montana
Compare...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len n Jeanne View Post
Paula, I agree. You could pay for a lot of nights in a Comfort Inn before you would save money by traveling with an RV.

We just spent a month out in Colorado and Utah, and had all kinds of mechanical things go wrong, notably our furnace konking out during freezing temps at night while boondocking. But this can happen with any RV. Things also go wrong with most types of recreational investments, such as swimming pools, boats, horses, OHVs, and probably small planes, for all I know. If you buy a "toy" and use it, things will go wrong with it sooner or later.

To us, the question is more, "What do we want in an RV?" We have a sort of checklist of what we want and don't want. The small Airstream suits us perfectly, and we have yet to see another small RV that we like as well.

Whether the expense of an Airstream is worth it or not is, of course, a matter of individual budget, but also of individual taste.
I agree it's all a mater of what your patience level is, even when staying in a hotel. All mechanical vehicles, can and do have issues. After 6 RV's, 3 of which were newer AS's, 3 MBZ (new), many other vehicles, I have learned things happen...I also travel commercial and stay in many fine hotels....I have had same issues certainly with the airlines, and also at hotels. Ever had the AC go out when it is 118 out at 10pm and wife has just gone to sleep after 5 hour drive? Or, hot water not working in your room and no other vacancies? I also remember with my Class A MH while on vacation, I had transmission issues that took 2 weeks to fix; tough when your "sleeping and eating cabin" is in the shop...you have to find other accommodations. I know that at least with my AS TT, I can still sleep, eat, and make due if one of the conveniences breaks down...
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 10:30 AM   #73
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
One strong plus for the Airstream brand is resale value, especially if you buy a good quality used AS and treat her well.

Another factor is the Robert M. Pirsig's notion of "Quality" in "Zen and The Art of Motorcycle Maintenance."

Or . . . Gallagher's "Style" . . .

"You gotta have style, people!"

. . . . . .

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 11:24 AM   #74
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Calgary , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gneiss Guy View Post
Airstreams are expensive, but most of the folks here thought it was worth it. I would have trouble springing for a new one, since I have bought two used trailers that I would prefer to new ones. Both were barely used, had been stored inside and came with lots of neat stuff. I saved a lot of money on these rigs; money that I used in other enjoyable ways.

Living in Alaska, you may not have as wide a selection as we in the Lower 48 do, so you might have to drive a ways to buy used. I drove from Tennessee to Houston for my present trailer and consider it time and money well spent.

Good luck.

Richard
Best advice we could give is to not rush. We looked for four years before finding a deal on a ůsed`(brand new) 30 ft Serenity. It was registered but never used so we got the discount of buying a used unit when in reality we got a brand new trailer. In addition, the previous owners installed a satellite system and solar.

We drove from Calgary Alberta to Lubbock Texas to get our Airstream, so we had a great time camping on the way back and getting to know the trailer. We had never towed a trailer before so learned about how it handles (great) at the same time.

We could stay at fancy resorts, but wanted to experience things on the road and stay where we want on a whim so the trailer is a great choice for us. We also tire of restaurant food and I love to cook so we have a selection of things that we use to prepare the foods we like.

Last but not least, we wanted to downsize on the road and live simpler. Good luck with your search! Hope you find the perfect AS for you!

Michael
Poodle and two cats!
Masondood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 02:07 PM   #75
Fuil-Timers

2005 25' International CCD
Pine Swamp , North Carolina
Send a message via Skype™ to DreamStreamr
We never bought for resale, although we nearly recovered purchase price when we sold our two year old 22' Airstream to move up to a 25' for full timing. We've had in the 2005 25' 11 years and full timed in it the past ten years. Still going strong!

Jim N5RTG
dreamstreamr.com
DreamStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 03:31 PM   #76
4 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
1973 31' Sovereign
Mount Angel , Oregon
DreamStreamr.....

I just glanced at your blog. I love your idea of being able to stay put in one location and spread your wings a bit by house sitting for others when they hit the road. If you are ever wanting to visit the PNW and are interested in house-sitting while we hit the road, let us know! I'm up for an exchange! Great idea!

Susan
duncans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 03:41 PM   #77
4 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
1973 31' Sovereign
Mount Angel , Oregon
Why I chose Airstream

I grew up with Airstreams, so it was a matter of staying with what I am familiar with. I see other RV's that have a wide offerings in amenities (fireplace, TV's, etc.) that would be nice, but for me, what is the point of a travel trailer if not to get me out into the World. I love the clean lines. My sisters and friends RV's seem to age quickly, show wear and tear. The Airstream is classic design, clean, mean, lean. can fit anywhere, fast, functional. And we did it on a shoestring budget---look at our Phoenix Thread.
duncans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 03:52 PM   #78
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Fort Saunders , Wyoming
Travel Trailers, in general, are depreciating assets. Airstreams hold their value longer and the 'bottom' is higher than most, if not all other trailer brands. Oliver Trailers may be one that might be less expensive and hold a similar value, dollar for dollar over time.

If you do not use your trailer OFTEN... you will not get value out of your purchase. That is among ANY trailer.

If you are led to believe that other trailers have more accessory issues than an Airstream, think again. Most use similar components, if not the same. You are buying a beautiful trailer, contents included. If you like the outside, you will like the interior as well.

Maintaining the integrity of any trailer purchase will keep the resale value higher than those lived in full time. Some owners maintain their trailers as if the trailer heals itself, while cleaning the interior. If your tool set weighs less than one pound... a trailer may not be for you.

Purchase only the amount of trailer you need. If you do not know, you are not ready to purchase. The sweet spot seems to be in the 22 foot to 28 foot length. The 25 foot, in my opinion, is an excellent I DO NOT KNOW HOW MUCH TRAILER I NEED... choice. All brands at 25 feet seem to be a common best option.

Too much trailer is as bad as too little trailer... AFTER purchase.

If you cannot afford to replace your tow vehicle to tow a 30 foot trailer... you may not be in a financial position to purchase a 30 foot Airstream. Trailers are not a necessary addition to your home. Trailers can become an obsession for upgrades, additions and super solar systems!

If you were tent camper... you will love your Airstream. If you are a Hotel Camper... you will have a tougher transition.

Do not fall for the first Airstream or other brand until you have connected all of the... dots... of cost, tow vehicle, time to use, storage, dealer's strengths and weaknesses through BBB and other trailer owners... and read this Forum from one end to the other.

Trailers are Toys for Boys... and some Gals. USED Airstreams can be the best decision you can make, but meet the owner who is selling. Why, is always a start to a conversation. If you are prone to buy a new vehicle from what a sales person says... go with someone else.

Double Axle on a trailer is my number ONE and after that... it gets easier.
Old 05-07-2017, 03:57 PM   #79
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Yes.
Old 05-07-2017, 04:13 PM   #80
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Fort Saunders , Wyoming
I read a number of emotional reasons to own an Airstream.

To me it is like eating peanuts. I do not pick through the can of peanuts to eat only those I like. If I do not like what I am eating, I try another brand. Costco sells the peanuts I like most in a BIG can. That can could be your 25 foot Airstream.

If you like... lets say, chocolates. Same technique. Airstreams have changed over the decades. Do not believe anything different. They are much improved over time, no matter what some may say when frustrated with working out a list of 'bugs'.

If you like peanuts and chocolates... you just might have what it takes.