Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Full-Timing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-12-2017, 11:27 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
GILBERT , Arizona
I look at it as a investment, the 2017 & 2018 like mine sell for thousands more for the same thing.
2013 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
dames7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 11:35 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2013 30' International
Ottawa , Ontario
Smile The value of an AS

This is our third AS, progressively larger. We now have a 31 International Serenity.

As always there is no yes/ no answer. In many ways the AS trades on its name and there are many options that could/ should come as standard such as a better awning, 50 Amp service. Quality control is lacking and some interior fittings just break the very first season. Overall - you get a very good Chevy but for a Cadillac price. That said it beats all the other Chevys out there.
Old 04-12-2017, 11:49 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Probably not from a quality standpoint.
Airstream lives on it's iconic legacy.
Some people will only drive a Bentley even if it breaks down.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 11:50 AM   #24

1979 25' Tradewind
Chaumont , New York
Bought ours used

Yes. We have two: A 1973, 31 ft sovereign and a 1979, 25 ft tradewind. Love them both. Yes there have been issues such as replacing refrigerators, hot water heater, axils, tires, and AC. But how many box trailers are still on the road after 38 or 44 years. Lived in the 31 ft for 3 months each year for the last 12 while in Florida and just brought it back to NNY last week. We love the club (WBCCI) and have been to Newfoundland, Alaska and the SW, as well as several international rallies. 😄👌
donna18294 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 11:53 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Slightly different answer:
No, they are not worth the price, but...
It's the only trailer I'll have...
So I willingly/knowingly paid what I thought was too much for something I wanted.
Doesn't happen very often.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 11:55 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

1999 25' Excella
Western Springs , Illinois
We have a 1999 25 ft Excella which is in excellent condition. Other than a few appliance replacements(AC and hot water heater) this trailer looks and performs like it was new. Show me a 1999 white box that looks and acts like our AS and I'll consider switching brands. Matter of fact show me any 1999 white box still on the road period.
wavelength is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 11:59 AM   #27
3 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Snoqualmie , Washington
for those that want to camp for just weekends, i think some of the small tear-drop ones are great - good value and surprisingly roomy / full featured for their size (and price). If you are going to full-time it - I personally think Airstreams are a little small, but many people are happy with them and full time. We like to go for a week or maybe a few weeks - and we love our 25' for that. Fits us perfectly. The upside as several commented - resale value is Huge, and hard to get that with any other trailer.
Anders79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 12:00 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
No matter WHICH brand of travel trailer you buy.... you will end up having to fix things on it yourself...or pay someone else to do so. The appliances are the same and are not the reason an Airstream is a better trailer, IMO.

The difference is... that regardless of the appliances, the basic trailer is better constructed from the standpoint of materials....than other brands. It's like you've heard so many times in life: If you build on shifting-sand... you will forever have troubles. If you build on solid-rock you will always be happier.

The Airstream is more like solid-rock.

The advice of buying lightly-used is good advice if you're not particularly handy.

If you are very handy, buying more-than-slightly-used can be a real bargain!

My wife and I bought a smaller unit (22' Sport) for our first travel-trailer, which was 7 years old and in "slightly-used" condition... and I spent another $3K on it right away making it our perfect little camper. It was about half-the price of a new one when finished with the improvements, and we're thrilled with it's functionality and appearance. I would never have considered a new one for our first AS purchase.

Getting a used one from an individual is likely a better bargain than from a dealer as long as you (or someone you know) has good inspection-skills and knows what to look for. Don't go it alone if you're not familiar with this sort of merchandise.
Boxite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 12:04 PM   #29
Jackson the Airstream

2020 30' Classic
Aurora , Ontario
yes!
Philandsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 12:09 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Hailey , Idaho
Just read all these replies, and it looks like they covered every pro and con re AS values. So I think it boils down to whether you have the money for your chosen model without affecting your other goals/obligations, and whether you would like to smile every time you lay eyes on your unit.
And since Idaho is closer to AK than NC, and if you'll make the trip to the Lower 48 to look at units, I highly recommend the Caldwell, ID (25 miles north of Boise) AS dealer who....just for you....currently has a huge stock of models including the oh-so-sweet-looking Tommy Bahama (list $126k!!). Looked like he had about 50 units onsite. Good luck with your decision. jon
B00merang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 12:52 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
I am with M. Hony, no. Why would anyone pay 126,000 for the piece of xxxx that AS sells? For that kind of money you should get quality, not curb appeal. Sure, there are lots of reasons to buy an AS, not the least of which are its iconic nature and especially the camaraderie of the clubs. But, it is not worth the money unless you buy used, get a good deal, and can live with the warts.

Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 01:11 PM   #32
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' Pendleton
Currently Looking...
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith279 View Post
So we are in the initial stages of researching and setting a budget and I want to know if Airstream really is worth the exceptionally high cost? Are their any competitors even close to their quality that should be considered?
We love our Pendleton and are looking for a 2nd AS right now. In my search I've run across a neat looking rugged, go anywhere TT from Australia called the Bruder EXP-6. They have some great YouTube videos and since you are in AK you might want an off road type trailer. About the same price as an Airstream and most likely not available till 2018.

Good luck on your search...
Old 04-12-2017, 01:14 PM   #33
4 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Crystal River , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavelength View Post
Matter of fact show me any 1999 white box still on the road period.
There are some. Alumicape and Alumi-lite come to mind. New Horizons. Auto Mate. Alpenlite.

Airstreams are unique in in how they lend themselves to being rebuildable but if one looks at the amounts of money thrown at them in the process I think that would cast doubts on the "are they worth the money" question.
brokeboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 02:23 PM   #34
Stay CazuaL

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2014 19' Flying Cloud
Reseda , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
Wow; this should get some interesting responses for sure! In the end, everyone's experience is personal. We are on our 3rd AS; we have also owned a Casita in between the AS's, a Class A MH, a pop-up, modified van, and couple tents. Wife will not look at another brand. I find when I'm sleeping, it really does not matter, as long as I am comfortable! AS retains it's value probably better than anything out there. They have similar "flaws" like any RV built by hand today. (some may say "more") But what you have is a solid travel trailer with great aerodynamic properties (compared to other RV's), that will last longer then most anything else in this space, and a great bunch of folks on the forum to help you with any questions!(And, you also have a "lighter" wallet, which may be an issue to some!) To us, nothing comes close.
I concur
*Virtual campfire at https://www.facebook.com/groups/Airs...dictsforAdults
cazual6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 02:57 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith279 View Post
So we are in the initial stages of researching and setting a budget and I want to know if Airstream really is worth the exceptionally high cost? Are their any competitors even close to their quality that should be considered?

I think the issue of worth is personal and relative. Something may be "worth it" for me and not for you.

I think Airstream is one of the better made travel trailers out there despite all the noise in the forum. Remember that a forum tends to attract people with issues and is not representative of the entire AS ownership population.

I made my own assessment by looking at Airstream and at many other trailers. I started out with a blank slate and looked at 5th wheels, motor homes, even pop ups.

For ME, it was worth every single penny. Your mileage may vary (YMMV).
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2018 Nissan Armada SL Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 03:16 PM   #36
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Greeneville , Tennessee
To me it depends on what you want, can you afford it, and do you want the best. Settling all of that, you obviously want one, you can afford it, you do want the best. We own our 3rd one and have been very happy with all 3. We buy used, we don't always get exactly what we want but settling on very few options we are happy. We never have to wrestle with the bugs that new unit owners have. I would never go back to the other RVs.
One edit, we are getting older (I'll soon be 70) and we have our last one God willing, we will travel and camp for many more years.
jimfa440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 03:17 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2008 19' Bambi
2012 23' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Bandera , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Worth it to me. I let someone else eat the deprecation by buying a pre-owned Safari.
Ditto. We're on our second, one-owner unit. Well worth it.
banderabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 03:36 PM   #38
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
GILBERT , Arizona
The value is worth it, what you here on the forum is things that AS put in to the AS that people complain about.

They should be the very best
2013 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
Old 04-12-2017, 03:38 PM   #39
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
GILBERT , Arizona
Tires, converter, AGM battery and other add-on that people due once they buy on
2013 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
Old 04-12-2017, 04:19 PM   #40
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Taos , New Mexico
probably best to not confuse Airstream owners with Airstream sales people. I've not felt any obligation to try to sway anyone in any direction for an RV decision as if my opinion and input would have any value anyway. Another poster on another thread summed it up really well when he said - Airstreams make people smile, and he was right, they do.
kdickinson is offline   Reply With Quote