Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Full-Timing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-14-2017, 11:34 AM   #21
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Taos , New Mexico
We do not full time and our TV is acceptable for running around in any weather conditions. But - the reason I am posting is because we rented Class A motorhomes for extended periods a few times in the past and did not take a towed vehicle with us. When we were places we did not need to go anywhere we were fine of course. We have found that many paid RV camps have transportation available and of course there is also yellow cab and uber. The ability to get delivery of take-out meals is well established virtually everywhere and when you get your site map there are a handful of restaurants advertising on the map. At the KOA in Amarillo there is at least one restaurant that will come and get you in a Texas sized limo (yes, really) and bring you home. When we stopped in Yellowstone and other multi-day stops at sightseeing locations like Grand Canyon we did need a car and we called ahead to arrange car rental with local rental companies and paid their weekly rates which in small towns tend to be very reasonable (but the cars are not exactly the newer fleet cars you get at the national rental firms either). Just some input for ideas.
kdickinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 11:50 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari
Littleton , Colorado
We often travel with an additional car for business purposes. We take the airstream to my husband's craft shows where he sells his wood turning, and he also takes a fully loaded cargo van full of his products. The products are at least a couple thousand pounds, so it is too much to safely add to the back of our pick up (the TV) or the airstream. We have learned to make it work pretty well for us. We caravan and stop almost every hour for rest stops. The ability to talk hands-free between cars is helpful. At each stop, we plan the next stop using all stays app to either find the next rest stop or gasoline. Sometimes it is a challenge at the campsite to get two vehicles in the driveway, so there are times when a second vehicle has to be parked in overflow parking. And some places will charge you roughly 5 dollars a night for the extra vehicle. For us that is just a business expense, but if it was a full-time expense it could add up. At least there is no bickering over what we listen to on the radio!
Mellinkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 12:51 PM   #23
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

In the day and age of Uber taking over the world, phoning up for a ride may become easier and easier ....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 12:52 PM   #24
1 Rivet Member

2011 16' Sport
Garfield Heights , Ohio
Another option

Hey Guys,
Why not sell the jeep and use those funds to rent a daily driver when you need to! Use the truck for short drives to pick up groceries etc. Drive rental for sight-seeing etc. Some rental companies will deliver and pick-up the rental at your location.
Sportcenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 12:56 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

1994 21' Sovereign
The high country. Black Mountain range. , North Carolina
Not exactly what you are talking about, but we usually take a couple of trips per year in the spring and fall within 2 or 3 hours of home. My wife pulls the boat with our Grand Cherokee and I pull the Airstream with our 2500 HD Silverado. Just do it for the fishing and we are usually spending 2 or 3 weeks. Would not want to go much further. We prefer to travel with each other and I just put the canoe on the truck when we go further. When we pull the boat along the Jeep is our go to vehicle while in camp.
JaynEss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 02:36 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Maitland , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinksquared View Post
I totally get your Miata love! I traded mine in for a Jeep Wrangler when we brought home our German Shepherd pup. Somehow, I just knew he wasn't going to fit in there
Wow, you definitely get it!

If we didn't have a Miata, we'd have a Jeep. In some campgrounds, we are surrounded by so many Jeeps (towed by Class As), you can't count them all. And there are so so many more places you can go with a Jeep.
FreshAirStmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 02:50 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Maitland , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by BASE729 View Post
I'm pretty sure that's the plot to Smokey and the Bandit movies... sports car running interference for the big rig.
Heehee, yeah, it does feel like that! But basically from behind, I keep him informed on when we should pull over to let other traffic go ahead (on 2-lane roads). And sometimes in heavy traffic I need to insert myself into the other lane to allow him time to get over. In truth, I'm probably not that useful on the road most of the time, but it gives us both peace of mind to be together and we can use the walkie talkies to discuss any route changes or when it's time for a break or funny things we see on the road. And as someone said, we never argue over what to listen to.
FreshAirStmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 04:00 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Greenback , Tennessee
Shame on you, TEVAKE! You just want to sho off the Porche. I would too!

Richard
Gneiss Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 04:17 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
I don't think we would ever remotely consider it with our trailer. On the other hand if we had a motorhome instead of the traier - even a small van camper, we certainly would.

We tow our 31 ft trailer with a Sierra HD2500 and there is nothing much wrong with that to get us where we want to go when camping.

I will grant you it is not as easy io park as a Mini, but not that much of a problem either, so I doubt if your truck would be a whole lot different.

In fact, until recently, our truck was our daily driver at home also.

Last month I traded my motorcycle in on a VW GTI, so that our truck will get used less at home now - or so I thought.

But guess what - my (less than 5 ft tall ) wife has gotten so used to driving the big 'ol truck for her grocery shopping trips and such that I cannot often talk her into using the small car instead now that we have one!

She says she likes sitting up so high to see so much better!

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 04:39 AM   #30
2 Rivet Member

2010 30' Classic
Russellville , Arkansas
Parking the long bed crew cab dually while not always the easiest thing, has never been the problem. I'm guessing many of you have no idea how STIFF and awful the ride is on an F450 without a heavy load on. It's miserable as a daily driver.
tinksquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 08:49 AM   #31
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinksquared View Post
... I'm guessing many of you have no idea how STIFF and awful the ride is on an F450 without a heavy load on. It's miserable as a daily driver.
Hi

It's the same fine ride that turned a lot of people off to F-250's (and above) ten years or more ago. Many dealers would not even show you an F-250 / 2500 in that era unless you came in asking for a big TV. They *knew* how you would react.

I'd suggest that once you make it to the F-250 you are already into a bit of overkill on any modern AS. You need to have a lot of additional "stuff" to force you past an F-350 and into an F-450. A more typical solution is a second vehicle (and second trailer trailer) for the extras. A "normal" sedan or a Jeep pulling a 1,000 to 3,000 pound trailer will take care of a lot of toys. This also nicely covers the "what to drive" part of things. Much easier to deal with a half dozen sea kayaks that way ....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 02:55 PM   #32
4 Rivet Member

Central Florida , Florida
Here is a link to a write-up by a fulltiming couple (not Airstreamers) who travel with a second vehicle.

http://www.rv-dreams.typepad.com/rvd...hester-ca.html

2008 Classic 34
Dodge Ram 2500 Crew Cab CTD
Air Apparent is offline   Reply With Quote