Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Full-Timing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-11-2009, 03:23 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
St Cloud , Minnesota
I've been houseless for one year now and it was a good decision. I donated everything that my kids didn't need, but I did store a few things such as family photos and documents in an attic. I also temporarily placed some family heirlooms (furniture and tools) with my children.

I had expected to summer in Minnesota near my family, to winter in Texas or the Southwest, and to meander about for a month or so on my way north and south. After this spring's wanderings I found I had less interest in Airstream travel than I expected - perhaps it was the extra expense of daily campground rates, or the hassle of packing up for the road, or the fact that I was already spending most nights in my Airstream. I still have a small camping trailer and also a camping shell on my truck, but I find that I'm more inclined to take frequent daytrips and head "home" each night.

I have learned that the best thing about Airstreams for me is the opportunity to stay in Airstream communities. They are great and also very reasonable. I purchased a share in the Minnesota Airstream Park, and I have rented in the two communities (NTAC and TAHI) in Texas. Each is different but wonderful.

I have been using Wifi and cellular internet access (via a phone) on the road for the past 10 years, and it gets better all of the time. It seems that almost all commercial campgrounds have Wifi, many free of charge, and even many public campgrounds. For reliable service I find it useful to use an amplified, external antenna.

I do have a permanent base here in Minnesota which is also my mailing address. When I'm on the road I have temporarily forwarded mail to one of my sons to catch up with me later. During the winter my mail is forwarded to my rented site. Much of my mail was eliminated by switching to online billing options etc.; also, a lot disappeared just because I no longer own a home.

I use my base here for seasonal storage. I have a shed which is a downsized version of my former garage, and I have a gazebo full of books, magazines, misc. electronic and computer parts, and anything else I didn't want to part with at the time I sold my house. My rule of thumb is that if anything new arrives something old has to go; this works well.

I don't expect to do this forever. Things have a way of changing unexpectedly, but for now my Airstream is working well as a fulltime home. It is also easy to pull, with little more effort than traveling with my smaller trailer. Overall, things have been even better than I expected.
JamieEllis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 07:12 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Largo , Florida
I lived on my boats for over 22 years and had a class A motorhome. When I sold the fleet and put all my stuff together I had a cargo trailer full and still giving away and selling stuff. It is very difficult to keep things simple and not accumulate stuff. From time to time I would have a storage locker somewhere. I had a real mailing address at my Chicago winter marina which I used for many years. Now, no boats only a 24' AS. I do have a PO Box and can use my home base to receive mail. I have a storage locker, but have plans to be free from that stuff within a couple of months.
The best internet access I found was the pc card from AT&T or Verizon. Little expensive, but works almost everywhere in the US, Mexico & Canada.
I work from my AS (home) full time for West Marine. I work for the Call Center division using my Verizon phone line, real DSL and a full size computer. We use an internet system called "Live Opps" which requires Verizon. Only issue I have had is when it rains really hard - it is hard to hear the customer on the phone. I have kept this job because I can travel and stay anywhere I wish, as long as I can get Verizon & DSL hook-ups.
As to mail, there are many mailing services that will accept your mail & packages and ship to you where ever you wish. Getting used to not being planted in one spot can be very hard for some folks. As far as clothes, you only need a few good pieces for business and a few good evening clothes if you still go out to the fine dinning and drinking places. Our world is so casual almost anything goes anymore. Wonderful life to be free to roam, take your stuff with you, make new friends and met up with some of the old friends from time to time. Good Luck with your new life.