Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-04-2017, 05:23 PM   #1
Good Times!

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Jasper , Georgia
House built around your airstream

I am looking for creative ways to incorporate an airstream into a home design. I came across this website. Has anyone ever seen a home built like this? Any other creative designs out there? I am tossing around the idea of a structure to compliment the airstream where we can have a little more living space when not on the road.
http://www.ludwigdesign.com/architec...treamProjects/
great2beadaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 05:34 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I haven't seen this, exactly, but have seen townhouse type homes with a large and high garage purpose built for an RV...complete with W/E/S.

I've also seen permanent RV sites, for sale, with a structure off the Site pad that is a full kitchen, living room and laundry.

You could basically do anything you wanted, that your budget could handle.

Keep us posted.

Maggie
Old 01-04-2017, 06:09 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Lakes Region , New Hampshire
Here you go.

Trailer House
RandyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 06:10 PM   #4
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Garage

A fellow that I worked with, purchased some property and built a garage with living quarters above. The garage was a shop and storage for building the full sized house that they wanted for retirement.

They lived in the upstairs until the house was built. The main house connected to the garage and the living space over the garage was remodeled when no longer required as a kitchen.

No reason the garage could not be tall enough for an Airstream. The building could be designed to progress an element at a time each year until completed.

The garage goes up in a hurry and provides a base to build whatever your dreams and budget embrace. Lots of variations on the theme are possible.

One of the winners is that stored inside a garage can in some cases comply with local ordinances that suggest mobile homes are verboten.

Good luck with your investigation. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 06:13 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2017 23' International
Curry County , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by great2beadaw View Post
I am looking for creative ways to incorporate an airstream into a home design. I came across this website. Has anyone ever seen a home built like this? Any other creative designs out there? I am tossing around the idea of a structure to compliment the airstream where we can have a little more living space when not on the road.

http://www.ludwigdesign.com/architec...treamProjects/

Good find. This is exactly what I am thinking about building for myself. I agree with the designer that one of the biggest advantages of such a structure is that it could be classified as a "barn". However, an issue that hinders this concept I think is the need for utilities. A possible solution to this problem is to build off-grid which in itself is not a bad thing. I too would be interested in ideas, suggestions, references regarding this topic.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Harpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 06:25 PM   #6
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
I haven't seen a house exactly like, but as others said, there are many variations of houses with large enclosed garages that allow RVs to be "inside."

With the design you've shown I'm not sure exactly what's going on...

Is the Airstream used for cooking? Heating or cooling? Shower and toilet?

Regardless, it seems that having the trailer literally inside the house may pose some issues. One that comes to mind it sewer gas. If the trailer is used in any way to provide comforts such as air conditioning or heating or water heating there needs to be sufficient venting/exhaust to remove the CO and CO2 and heat (from the AC).

Interesting idea. Tell us more about how it will be used so we can understand which issues may need to be addressed. Otherwise, I guess it's just cool to have your Airstream parked inside your house.
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 07:48 PM   #7
Good Times!

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Jasper , Georgia
I was thinking we could use the airstream as an office or extra guest room when we aren't travelling. I like the idea of building out in phases. Then you can get a sense of what works and doesn't before fully committing to a design. I think the design in both links are conceptual. Doubt anyone could live in the glass house in Texas during the summer heat. Gets the ideas flowing though.
Old 01-04-2017, 09:10 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1994 28' Excella
Burkburnett , Texas
I have been looking at Barn pro and Sand creek barns. Thinking I would like to do the same.
paulken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 09:12 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2015 19' Flying Cloud
2017 25' Flying Cloud
Rosemount , Minnesota
Here are some links I had gathered while looking at improvements for an empty lot to host our Airstream on:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/sports...7636508802543/

http://www.airforums.com/forums/atta...1&d=1433725601

http://www.airforums.com/forums/atta...6&d=1353365109

http://www.airforums.com/forums/atta...6&d=1446511309

http://reunionpointe.com/whats-an-rv-port-home/

https://www.google.com/search?q=camp...q=RV+Port+Home

https://www.pinterest.com/search/pin...%20Port%20Home
BoscoMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 05:29 AM   #10
Good Times!

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Jasper , Georgia
Very helpful links. Thank you for sharing!
Old 01-05-2017, 10:59 AM   #11
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Taos , New Mexico
We lived in Spring Texas for many years. There is a regional airport in Tomball just a few miles from us where there were hangers that included residential living. They came on the market periodically and each was decorated with aviation themes and each had windows which looked out on the aircraft in the hanger. I've also seen where people park their Ferrari autos right in the living area with an access door for them to get it out and drive it when the spirit strikes. While I have not seen this done with an RV it is certainly do-able and if you like having your AS be in the house with you then why not!? It could be a great guest room or home office ...
kdickinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 11:52 AM   #12
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
I've had plans drawn up for two options, both based on a single pent roof design, for our 20ft MH (Peanut).

The first is a stick built, permanent structure and includes a bedroom option.

The second takes the concept further, and has the 'house' built as a park trailer that can be moved every few years. The downside of this option is it still uses the bedroom in the MH.

There is also a third version based on the first drawing, which has the RV port enclosed. This was designed for our other motorhome (Bella) which doesn't have roof-top AC and so we may want to cool (or heat) the MH when at the base port. Bella is in the UK now so that option has been 'filed'
martin300662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 12:52 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' Classic
Austin , Texas
Bentsen Palm Village has some RV port homes that I have looked at. Here is a link:

http://www.bentsenpalm.com/active-ad...e/floor-plans/

Dennis
dstalzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 02:50 PM   #14
Stay CazuaL

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2014 19' Flying Cloud
Reseda , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin300662 View Post
I've had plans drawn up for two options, both based on a single pent roof design, for our 20ft MH (Peanut).

The first is a stick built, permanent structure and includes a bedroom option.

The second takes the concept further, and has the 'house' built as a park trailer that can be moved every few years. The downside of this option is it still uses the bedroom in the MH.

There is also a third version based on the first drawing, which has the RV port enclosed. This was designed for our other motorhome (Bella) which doesn't have roof-top AC and so we may want to cool (or heat) the MH when at the base port. Bella is in the UK now so that option has been 'filed'
I am actually doing a remodel of my house to do just that. I will be raising my car port to accommodate the height, adding a drain and 50A outlet.
*Virtual campfire at https://www.facebook.com/groups/Airs...dictsforAdults
cazual6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 09:53 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Middletown , California
I've wanted to do this in two different counties in two different states but was shot down by the building departments. Maybe in another place than Nevada or California it can be done. Seems like common sense to me to do this! The building codes can easily be tailored to prevent people from living cheaply and that seems to be the aim of two of the places where I had homes. Personally, I have no use for the standard 3 bedroom 2 bath layout that building departments like. It is sometimes possible to get a variance approved to do something like this if you can jump through a series of hoops. Where I live now the codes prohibit having more outbuilding square footage than what your living space has and they just won't let you live in an RV even if it was inside a building. Just too much regulation for me!
ijustlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 12:51 AM   #16
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by ijustlee View Post
I've wanted to do this in two different counties in two different states but was shot down by the building departments. Maybe in another place than Nevada or California it can be done. Seems like common sense to me to do this! The building codes can easily be tailored to prevent people from living cheaply and that seems to be the aim of two of the places where I had homes. Personally, I have no use for the standard 3 bedroom 2 bath layout that building departments like. It is sometimes possible to get a variance approved to do something like this if you can jump through a series of hoops. Where I live now the codes prohibit having more outbuilding square footage than what your living space has and they just won't let you live in an RV even if it was inside a building. Just too much regulation for me!
That is the rationale behind the two designs. The first includes a bedroom and a larger square footage, so you are not living in the MH, just parking it under a carport. Whereas the park trailer version would be to site on an RV resort (maybe only of Airstream only parks?). We only need the layout of option two but would probably have to have option one to get planning consent.

I mention Bella in my first post, we have just bought a new house in the UK, and here outbuildings must not cover more than 50% of the plot and have to be under a maximum height of 2.4m to the eaves (4m for a sloping roof), and the main reason we bought this place was because it is a corner plot and we can add a side access, an RV carport (4m height is just enough with a 1:4 pitch, to allow Bella to get under) and a workshop across the back of the yard.
martin300662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 06:22 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2017 23' International
Curry County , Oregon
Be careful what you wish for it may just happen!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpo View Post
Good find. This is exactly what I am thinking about building for myself. I agree with the designer that one of the biggest advantages of such a structure is that it could be classified as a "barn". However, an issue that hinders this concept I think is the need for utilities. A possible solution to this problem is to build off-grid which in itself is not a bad thing. I too would be interested in ideas, suggestions, references regarding this topic.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Well, well, well-- Look what i stumbled on. The perfect place to live and house my airstream "Cind-Me". I was not really meaning to find a new place until I sold my house but one day I just accidentally stumbled on this find when attempting to find comparatives for my house. It was almost like a "guiding force" or may be a guardian angel may be assisting me. Anyway the only complaint I have (and believe you me it is not a big one) is the warehouse is too big (probably over 8000 sq ft). The possibilities are endless. One thought is might live and play in one area and turn another area into a workshop to work on renovating old trailers or maybe renting it out to other streamers who might want to come and stay and work on their trailer while taking somewhat of vacation (it is in a very scenic area). Anyway I am stoked and can't wait to get in there and get to work.
Old 02-04-2017, 06:28 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2017 23' International
Curry County , Oregon
Some reason the picture did not show up on my previous post. Here is my second attempt. If it doesn't work this time then take my word for it the warehouse is big, ugly but fits perfect for my intended use.
Old 02-04-2017, 06:53 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1990 32' Excella
jonesboro , Arkansas
Had a friend in the 80's that built a hunting camp from 4 older 28's. Poored a large slab and placed them around the edge on the pad facing in.then built a post and beam shed over them. One was a bunk house, one a bath house, another a kitchen and the last a living room. To bypass local codes he only had the walls to the inside attached to the enclosure. He bought the trailers all needing complete restoration the large open center area was eventually furnished and heat and AC added. Last I heard around the mid 90,s it had been turned into a family camp with 2 bedrooms in the bunk trailer and the old living room trailer had 2 bedrooms also.
joel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 07:12 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2017 23' International
Curry County , Oregon
This building is classified "agricultural" which the county no longer designates. Best I can tell in talking with the county permitters there are no restrictions with respect to living in such a structure. Furthermore, the property already has wells, sewer, and lots of electricity delivered to it so I really don't have to go off-grid. I am hoping it will not take a lot of resources to get moved in. The sooner I can get Cind-me indoors the better.