Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2015, 04:53 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Holiday Weekends for the Fulltimer

I live and work in Virginia Beach, VA and this is one of the "close to home" vacation spots on the east coast.

Every Holiday Weekend I wish I'd planned further ahead, because any campground within a 100 mile radius will be packed - SARDINED - full.

I've tried to hide out in small city parks, out of the way state parks, and like most times - I've ended up in a parking lot behind the business my partner and I own. When I HAVE stayed in my regular campground it's a zoo, and everything else is worse. The worst of the worst EVER was "Bike Week" at Holiday Trav-L Park in Va Beach. You're parked so close to the next rig you can smell "cheesy feet" from their campfires and 5 minutes of quiet might happen between 3:00 and 4:00 AM... And Harley's doing wheelies through the lanes making it dangerous to even sit outside. Then there's stepping carefully in the morning because of the beer cans, broken bottles, and the occasional puke slurry.

Does anyone know a nice place within 300 miles where I can spend July 4? I enjoy company, but just a bit of open space and a less frenetic atmosphere (activities to keep the kiddies entertained instead of running around screaming at the tops of their lungs all day and half the night.)

Thanks in advance
Old 05-24-2015, 05:04 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hmmmm, a quiet camping site for July 4th.

Sounds like any oxymoron, to me.

Good luck.

Maggie
Old 05-24-2015, 05:46 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Summer holidays are probably going to be crowded no matter where you go. We already have reservations for 4 July, and we'll see how noisy it is. Last year we were in a State park near Lincoln, NE for the 4th. It was a bit noisy only a couple of nights, and even then it wasn't too bad.

Now, a question for you full-timers. How far in advance do you make reservations for holidays?
1993 Foretravel U300 (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 09:20 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Akron , Ohio
Come to Ohio and stay in Rachel's side yard, Silly Lady! Only 2 boys and they're pretty sweet! We can run you a heavy duty extension cord...just saying! Or maybe the Mothership???
prudencepb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 09:28 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
i've overnighted here before it was renovated.
R V Resort At Carolina Crossroads, 415 Wallace Fork Road, Roanoke Rapids, NC 27870 it is a place with mostly overnight folks during the winter migration but i'm not sure of the activity level during the holidays. i'm thinking places along I95 with few amenities might stay quiet on the holidays. you can always pray for rain, lol.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 08:00 AM   #6
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
I live and work in Virginia Beach, VA and this is one of the "close to home" vacation spots on the east coast.

Every Holiday Weekend I wish I'd planned further ahead, because any campground within a 100 mile radius will be packed - SARDINED - full.

I've tried to hide out in small city parks, out of the way state parks, and like most times - I've ended up in a parking lot behind the business my partner and I own. When I HAVE stayed in my regular campground it's a zoo, and everything else is worse. The worst of the worst EVER was "Bike Week" at Holiday Trav-L Park in Va Beach. You're parked so close to the next rig you can smell "cheesy feet" from their campfires and 5 minutes of quiet might happen between 3:00 and 4:00 AM... And Harley's doing wheelies through the lanes making it dangerous to even sit outside. Then there's stepping carefully in the morning because of the beer cans, broken bottles, and the occasional puke slurry.

Does anyone know a nice place within 300 miles where I can spend July 4? I enjoy company, but just a bit of open space and a less frenetic atmosphere (activities to keep the kiddies entertained instead of running around screaming at the tops of their lungs all day and half the night.)

Thanks in advance
Can't think of anything off the top of my head besides heading west towards Emporia and not up the I-64 corridor.

I lived in Virginia Beach my entire life, it's always a tourist fest come the major holidays. I used to escape towards the George Washington National Forest. The area's closer to Shenandoah tend to get all the attention.
Old 05-25-2015, 11:14 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Charlottesville , Virginia
4th of July Weekend

It maybe full for the 4th of July you need to check it out, but if you want a quite, beautiful, place within three hours of VA. Beach try Virginia Highland Haven! Cool mountain setting near the quaint town of Floyd, VA. with things for the kids to do. It's an AS only park and even it all of the spaces are taken it will be a pleasant quite atmosphere not like a private Va. Beach Campground (I've stayed in both places). Here is the web address Highland Haven it's a treasure especially in the hot summer!
Charlottesville, VA
Ed Brownfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 11:17 AM   #8
U.S. Navy, Retired

1997 30' Excella
Cumming , Georgia
Consider Virginia Highland Haven Airstream Park. Under 300 miles and just over 5 hours. You might need to be a WBCCI member.
2018 F250 King Ranch 6.7L Powerstroke
Silverleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 11:19 AM   #9
U.S. Navy, Retired

1997 30' Excella
Cumming , Georgia
I wasn't fast enough. Ed Brownlee said it perfectly.
2018 F250 King Ranch 6.7L Powerstroke
Silverleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 05:11 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Been to Va Highland Haven, It's five to six hours - Agree it's almost heaven, but I kinda expect it's nearly full too on a major holiday.

Just wanted someplace a bit nearer. Come to think of it, when I drove home along 301 from Baltimore I stopped briefly just south of the bridge that crosses the Potomac into Virginia there is a nice little town? James Madison's birthplace too, and not too far from Colonial Beach or Caledon State Park.

Anyone know of any good camping in that area?
Old 05-25-2015, 05:40 PM   #11
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
If I recall they said that Va Highland is in fact full for the 4th. Otherwise I would of recommended it as I was just there.

Do you relocate from campground to campground in Virginia Beach?
Old 05-26-2015, 05:32 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2000 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel
Fresno , California
Is Myrtle Beach, SC out of your range? I own a few properties there as well as memberships to private RV parks. Oh if you have a Good Sam Coast-to-Coast look into Braircliff.
LucasS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 05:46 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Paula, I love your prose. Puke Slurry indeed!

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote