Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Full-Timing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-12-2020, 08:00 PM   #1
jeffndaile

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Clarkston , Washington
Help! We need a new mattress.

2013 FC RB 28ft.
My wife and I have been living full-time in our airstream and this is our home. When we purchased this airstream, it had the original queen mattress in it and it was in rough shape then. Needless to say, After four years, the mattress is in dire need of replacement. We have been using 3 inch memory foam toppers and they’ve worked fairly well but frankly we’re ready for something new.

We have roughly $500 budget and we’ve been looking at the foam mattresses from Costco but they are fairly heavy and 14 inches thick. Has anyone else used one of Costco‘s foam mattresses? I am concerned about the weight and lifting it up to get in the storage underneath as well as the trailer handling poorly on the road. All of your thoughts are welcome.
Jeffndaile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 08:05 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

Salisbury , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffndaile View Post
2013 FC RB 28ft.

My wife and I have been living full-time in our airstream and this is our home. When we purchased this airstream, it had the original queen mattress in it and it was in rough shape then. Needless to say, After four years, the mattress is in dire need of replacement. We have been using 3 inch memory foam toppers and they’ve worked fairly well but frankly we’re ready for something new.

We have roughly $500 budget and we’ve been looking at the foam mattresses from Costco but they are fairly heavy and 14 inches thick. Has anyone else used one of Costco‘s foam mattresses? I am concerned about the weight and lifting it up to get in the storage underneath as well as the trailer handling poorly on the road. All of your thoughts are welcome.

Here’s where we got our replacement, love it . Just make sure you pick out the correct shape for your coach . I believe ours was $650 Queen

https://airstreamsupplycompany.com/p...nt-mattresses/
AM2PMtravels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 07:28 AM   #3
jeffndaile

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Clarkston , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by AM2PMtravels View Post
Here’s where we got our replacement, love it . Just make sure you pick out the correct shape for your coach . I believe ours was $650 Queen

https://airstreamsupplycompany.com/p...nt-mattresses/
Curious if this is where the original mattress came from? I hope not, as it was absolute junk from the day we got it.
Jeffndaile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 01:27 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Salisbury , Arizona
Quote:
Curious if this is where the original mattress came from? I hope not, as it was absolute junk from the day we got it.

Not sure love ours and ours is far from Junk
AM2PMtravels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 02:08 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
This company was recommended on the forum and we bought a new mattress from them: https://www.mattressinsider.com/rv-mattress.html. They are very familiar with Airstream mattresses, most of which have special shapes because of the rounded shape of the trailer.

Tim
Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 03:38 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2021 33FB Classic
FRISCO , TX
My wife and I would give a very strong vote to AB Lifestyles 11" memory foam mattress...designed to fit exactly. We bought one prior to our last 5-week trip and would not hesitate to put it in our home if we could. Not too firm and not too gushy ... just the right amount of support and softness combined.

https://www.ablifestyles.net/product...airstream.html
dmassey321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 04:10 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Anchorage , Alaska
We got mattresses from Tochta. Perhaps worth a look as you investigate possibilities.
mtndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 04:41 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
For a while Costco was selling Tuft & Needle mattresses. If that’s what you are seeing those are pretty great and we put in our FC25. We have twins so we got two doubles and cut one down with an electric knife and stitched it back up. For the ther side we left it as a full width twin.

Airstream uses these in the Globetrotter, definitely not junk. We opted for the thicker Mint line which is, yes, thicker, but also the even more comfortable. They are a great company with superb customer service and free trials. Most of what they do is ship you the mattress for a free trail but they have a few retail stores and sometimes are in Costco.

https://www.tuftandneedle.com/
daleyocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 09:57 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
Fort Collins , CO
I just purchased a new mattress for my 22' Sport from Airstream Supply -- . https://airstreamsupplycompany.com/shop/mattress. Price came in at just around $500, although delivery was slow, COVID related.
mikebyrne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 10:54 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2018 28' International
Mesa , Arizona
We just bought a new mattress for our 28ft rbq international. Ordered a RV queen, it was delivered 7 days later by fed ex. Weight is approximately the same as the original. We got the plush version and it is great. Price was about half of what Airstream wanted. wildernessrvmattress@gmail.com
kdfulsome54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 11:10 AM   #11
Trailer Sold, Waving

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Stettler , Alberta
May I humbly suggest your mattress is the most important piece of furniture in your trailer. Take your trailer to a custom mattress factory. Go into the showroom and have them design a mattress based on your personal needs - springs,, foam layers, top, etc. They can use your existing mattress as a template.
I had this done in Knoxville, Tn - took 4 days.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0050.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	307.8 KB
ID:	375840   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0051.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	289.2 KB
ID:	375841  

WBCCI #6679
Acheron2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 11:56 AM   #12
DSS
1 Rivet Member

2014 30' Classic
Grand Island , NEBRASKA
Airstream Mattress

We bought a great mattress this spring from Montana Hybrid - RV Mattress. We did a lot of research before choosing. The queen size fits perfectly in our 30' Classic and the comfort level is unmatched. This was the highest rated mattress we could find.
DSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 01:06 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2019 Nest
Louisa , Virginia
Mattress

Quote:
2013 FC RB 28ft.

Zinus Ultima Comfort Memory Foam 10 Inch Mattress, Short Queen
Sold by: Amazon.com Services LLC
$202.51
Zinus 10 Inch Ultima Memory Foam Mattress / Pressure Relieving / CertiPUR-US Certified / Bed-in-a-Box, Queen

Bought this one in 2019 for a Rockwood Mini it was great. Can get it in full size also. large selection
5 Star Custom Tune
Louisa, Virginia
love nest is offline   Reply With Quote