Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-14-2008, 12:44 PM   #61
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
ozark , Missouri
O.K but do you keep a house/home/apartment all year around for the other 7 months?
Quote:
Originally Posted by willyd View Post
We live in the Airstream approximately 5 months a year and couldn't be happier. My wife and I find the Airstream just the right size.
76sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 12:48 PM   #62
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
ozark , Missouri
Good for you Bob....I can only assume you learned from your mistakes earlier in life or have you always been frugal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Thompson View Post
We don't need to downsize. We paid our home off early, and saved and paid cash for everthing else. We have no credit card debt. We don't borrow! We find it better to live within our means. We've considered building a new home in about 2 years, that is, if we can pay cash!

We contributed nothing to this economic mess but now we'll be required to help bail out the ones that did!
Old 12-14-2008, 01:04 PM   #63
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
ozark , Missouri
My heart goes out to your husband and to you and your family for having this horrible obstacle to overcome. You are right....thank God he is alive.
With the help and support of friends, family and church you will make it.
Sometimes it's hard to accept help from others. Please allow others help you. These are blessings, some need them, some give them. They will help heal everyone.

Keep your chin up.

Kani
Quote:
Originally Posted by whyled View Post
WE WILL BE DOWNSIZING WE HAVE NO CHOICE, some one made that decision for us...My Husband was coming home from work 3 weeks ago on his motorcycle ( purchased 3 months ago to save on gas ) and was hit from behind by an ininsured drunk driver, our full coverage car and truck insurance does not cover 2 wheeled vehicles, he will be totally disabled, hopefully he will be able to walk, we do not know yet, we are going to try and sell our home and hopefully get enough cash left to purchase an airstream as we will not be able to continue to pay our mortgage, utilities, taxes and insurance, he will need round the clock care for up to a year (broken legs, ankles, hip, hand, shoulder, 5 ribs, pelvis etc, multiple herniated discs etc...) Thank god he is alive!! But we now have zero income and no relief in sight, but things could be worse I could have easily been planning a funeral instead. We do not have alot of debt only car payment and mortgage so it will not be to difficult to downsize. I actually look forward to it. This certainly put it in perspective for us!!
Old 12-24-2008, 06:46 AM   #64
Rivet Master

1956 26' Cruiser/Overlander
1967 17' Caravel
Newport , New Hampshire
I want to thank all who are adding to this thread.
After a number of years of multiple jobs, side jobs, anything to make a little extra (mostly sending my self though school) I have been "downsized" and after 30+ years at the same company my husband maybe "downsized" out of his job. We are watching our retirement $$ plans downsize with the economy like everyone else.

We have opportunity (or maybe I'm just always looking at life with the glass half full) in that I am in the nursing profession and can work as a traveling nurse or locum tenens. So I find this thread very supportive and informative as selling our paid for home, paid for vehicles, etc. and full-timing from job to job is a possible solution to focus one paying less in day to day expense and saving more iving simply. Like we did when we were first married in a one room cabin in the woods. Now this one room is a huge 7 room house that we have built (we built it now contractors etc.).

Whyled- I‘ve been in your shoes, and yes, my mantra was, “I have my son, I have my son”. The condition he was in didn’t matter as much. Tell your husband that when he’s feeling helpless, and powerless. All he has to do to make your day is smile and recognize you. Emotional downsizing. You don’t need much to find the joy in just having them with you.

Anyway- I would like to hear more about the Stuff. I’m looking around my house with a different eye. It doesn’t look as important. I think a lot of it came from my parent’s house when they downsized. LOL

Anyone interested in Vintage Trailer Life Magazines from as far back as the 60’s?

Robin

"Reality Is The Leading Cause Of Stress"
"There are only five great men in the world and three of them are hamburgers."
rgesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 03:08 PM   #65
4 Rivet Member

Central Florida , Florida
rgesch (Robin)

If you are seriously considering fulltiming you may be interested in the Escapees orgainization which supports the fulltiming lifestyle. Their web site is:

Escapees RV Club – the club for all RVers

Also read their forums as there is a wealth of knowledge. There are threads on getting rid of "stuff".

Travel nursing allows for fulltimng while working as it pays well and provides for healthcare.

Good luck in whatever you choose.

2008 Classic 34
Dodge Ram 2500 Crew Cab CTD
Air Apparent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 03:46 PM   #66
4 Rivet Member

2005 22' International CCD
Phoenix , Arizona
Robin,

So sorry to hear that after all those years you've joined us, the down-sized, laid-off, gently guided into retirement, or without a company to work for.

With your skills, work record, and ambition you are sure to find another endeavor to meet your needs. Take the time you need, consider your choices carefully.

Best wishes for the New Year!
Bandit #14576 (WDCU/AIR)

https://www.RWChatelain-Woodturner.com
BDandTTs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 02:50 PM   #67
Rivet Master

1956 26' Cruiser/Overlander
1967 17' Caravel
Newport , New Hampshire
Finding this thread gives me food for thought to turn a negative into a positive. Traveling Nursing or Locum Tenens It is an opportunity to travel and the work is out there. Right now I'm still trying to serve the underserved elderly by starting my own business. I will continue to do that but the idea of options like full-timing and traveling keep my spirits up. I try to keep the positive in my mind at all times. Helps me get thru the tough times.

"Reality Is The Leading Cause Of Stress"
"There are only five great men in the world and three of them are hamburgers."
rgesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 10:19 AM   #68
Droppo

1978 29' Ambassador
Mesa , Arizona
My wife and I lived full-time in a small 1964 airstream when we got married 14 years ago. We then settled down and moved into a house, then to a big 4000+sq ft house when we had kids. We've just purchased a 1978 AS and are going to get rid of our house and go full time again, this time with a 10yr old, 5yr old and 100lb Golden retriever. We're all super excited and really looking forward to the traveling and getting closer as a family.
mdroppo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 02:40 AM   #69
Gutting and Rebuilding

1980 28' Excella II
Currently Looking...
Kelowna , British Columbia
Im selling my home in Canada after a divorce and taking the three pups back to California where we will spend 2009 all over California promoting out new Dog Lovers Community LoveMeLoveMyDog.com. I am gutting an 1980 Excella that I bought which was in DIRE need of a gut and re do, so we are hoping to be on the road by May all decked out in our silver rig "Spreading The Love Of Dog." Three dogs, no debt, new online business, hopefully soon a newly renovated 1980 Excella (if I can get the sewer small out of it).... And a new life. Gutting and rebuilding my trailer and my life at 45. The economy is bad so they say, but who needs the life that people have been living. Stress, debt, too much of a house of cards. Simple and free. Thats where I'm headed. Im glad I found your site so I can connect with other Airstream Lovers! Now if I can just find the Forum to help with my renovation questions I can start to rebuild.

Old 01-16-2009, 05:15 AM   #70
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by factotum View Post
LoveMeLoveMyDog.com. Simple and free. ________________________
Kevin Lawrence
Love Me Love My Dog
Spreading The Love Of Dog

WELCOME ABOARD!!
Sounds like a great plan, good luck!!
Lot's of good advice, Lot's of great folks and Airstreams and more Dogs than you can count, right here .
What we need now.....photo's.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fado x-pen 009.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	74068  
Old 01-16-2009, 10:30 PM   #71
Gutting and Rebuilding

1980 28' Excella II
Currently Looking...
Kelowna , British Columbia
Aw PUPPY!!!! I cant wait to meet more Air Stream people. Im hoping to hit the road in May down the California coast. Ill be on the lookout for silver.... Especially with doggies!!! My plan is to run all over California going to dog parks to promote my site and sign people up. If they travel in silver.... all the better!
factotum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 05:58 PM   #72

hudson , Florida
Thanks so much for your good wishes and kind words they help a great deal ( more than you know ) Some people can be quite sarcastic and uncaring believe it or not. But it takes all kinds I guess. You know what they say there is always someone to kick you when your down!!

Our plans have been on hold as my 44 year old brother commited suicide on 12/13/08 he fought with depression for years and lost that fight leaving behind his wife and two children. This has left our family devastated and torn apart. And the guilt this leaves you with is unbearable. All the pain he left behind is the pain we now bear each day. Our only comfort is now he is at peace.

My husband is healing but is totally disabled, still cannot walk but we are hopeful. They have not yet arrested the drunk driver that hit him.

We have received an outpouring of support from our community, church, family and friends through this difficult time.

We are on the lookout now for a 30-34' avion travel trailer because we feel they are comparable to an airstream but priced more in our budget, we have to be out of our home within 90 days so if anyone out there knows or comes across one reasonably priced less than $5,000.00 please email me whyled@hotmail.com I would post on here but do not know how or if I can do that.

Thanks again!!
whyled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 05:59 PM   #73

hudson , Florida
My heart goes out to your husband and to you and your family for having this horrible obstacle to overcome. You are right....thank God he is alive.
With the help and support of friends, family and church you will make it.
Sometimes it's hard to accept help from others. Please allow others help you. These are blessings, some need them, some give them. They will help heal everyone.

Keep your chin up.
whyled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 05:29 PM   #74
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
We had just accumulated a back pay from SSI for a friend I take care of and watch over...and we had to make some sort of decision quick...and social would not just GIVE him the $$ unless he had a house find or something...soooo, we were out one day metal detecting in a antique district of Amarillo Tx. And walked past a AS parked there with a for sale sign in the window.....Eureka! This is it! And the rest is history. That Airstream found us I swear on it. It was an answered prayer for sure from God...we have never been big on settleing into a house and fenced in with neighbors-and being stuck there. Our 1970 airstream came up after we had looked formerly at some square trailer options and I said well they look real good, but how long will they hold up? But when we saw the AS opportunity we took it right away, and have never regretted that. Our society has been moving gradually to a survival thing and we are both getting older so we knew after thinking it out, that a retirment plan would be to find a campground somewhere that offered fishing and other things at hand...we are still looking for the best place to settle in to, and if anyone of you airstreamer have a recommendation feel free to throw a suggestion out there on the picnic table!
AIR-Quarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 08:37 PM   #75
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
red - It's a trailer, just keep moving till you find a place you like. Many folks like Quartzite, Arizona a great place to spend the winter months and it is very inexpensive as well. You have to be out by summer, it's just too darn hot.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 09:08 PM   #76
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
We will look more into Quartzite....does it really get that hot?
Old 02-07-2009, 08:15 AM   #77
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
Summer temps in the Quartzsite / Parker area often hover in the 115 -123 degrees F. range! It would be a good time to be in Prescott, Payson, or Flagstaff.
Old 02-07-2009, 08:31 AM   #78
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Bob is correct about the summer temperatures in Quartzsite. One time I had a flat with my work truck in Parker and when I tried to jack it, the jack sank in the blacktop. But it is a dry heat...

Other cool area in Arizona include Show Low, Lakeside, Pinetop, Greer and Alpine. There is an Airstream only park (you buy a share) in Show Low. It is the Ponderosa Shadows. It is open in the summer and there is an age restriction. I am not a member, but a few of my friends are.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 10:23 AM   #79
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
I always remember what our good friend Brad (flysher) says about dry heat - "so is fire"

Too bad your not old enough to get a spot in that park...

Ken j.
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 08:24 PM   #80
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
We live outside Quartzsite in the winter...the BLM(Bureau of Land Management) has several 14 day free camp areas(no facilities) and four VERY large areas with accessible water and dump for $40/14 days, or $180/7 months(Sept 15-April 15)...these areas also offer dumpsters and, if yer brave or conserving the tank, pit toilets...the $180 permit, if you use it all, is about 85 CENTS a night...there are no 'designated' campsites...pretty much, if you can park there, it's yours, and there is a LOT of 'it's yours' to be had...we discovered that we really like the area, and the price is impossible to beat...I suspect the economy will drive up the Q population in the following years.
If you want, need, or desire full hook-ups, there are...well..like over 80 RV parks in the town area...
mike
We live for the moment, 'cause when you get there, it's gone...
ScrapIrony-2 is offline   Reply With Quote