Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Full-Timing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-26-2008, 09:34 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Gotta admit, today I eyed a bicycle that's been hanging in the garage for years, left there by one of the kids when they moved out. I'm thinking I could probably make it to the local milk store and back, in nice weather. The only problem is that here, nice weather runs one or two weekends in July.[/QUOTE]

There is A guy in are town that will put a really small gas motor on your bike or about $350.. IT has a .5 gallon tank and gets about 100 miles out of that tank... A guy up the road from us has one... He drives to town and back about 4 miles. and 600 ft difference... the thing will to about 28 mph on the flats and he only pedals once in a while to help it up the really steep stuff... He says from town he pedals only one place...

This would be a great commuter, or fun to have at a camp ground... It was a little loud but a better muffler might help...

On topic.... Downsize..NOPE.. I want to do a couple of additions on my house.... but we are buying a commercial building for my wife's office and will have to wait to see what kind of Down Payment they want.. at least 20% Man we picked the wrong time to do it. But you gotta do what you gotta do...

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 08:22 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2005 22' International CCD
Phoenix , Arizona
Previous post by SilverThreads: "The plan is to put a building close to the Airstream for storage and also a shop where she can still sew curtains. We will run electric and water out there, but still not sure what to do about the sewer."

Sounds like your plan is doable, and might lighten the load in these times.

2 recommendations:
Add a couple extra feet in length and width to your proposed shop building -- space to relax, or to accomodate expansion. It's much easier and less expensive than adding space later.
Also think you need a 'sewer solution' for fulltime living. What options are available in your area? Can grey water be handled by digging a dry well? Could you put a composting toilet in the shop? Do you have a reliable water source? Can you hand dig a well in your area?

Good luck, and keep us posted on your plans.
Bandit #14576 (WDCU/AIR)

https://www.RWChatelain-Woodturner.com
BDandTTs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 08:43 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Currently Camping , Pennsylvania
That article is very reminiscent of the Small House Society.

Anything I can't see, I am not using - wasted space! I've always been this way, but the economy is a good incentive for me to stay this way efficient, debt free, pay cash, or like Jim Foster use the credit card float & take advantage of the rewards. Vehicles, all Airstream renovations are paid out of pocket. Someday soon, the Airstream will be this Gen Y-er's only home.

Bicycle motors are a great idea, but there are a lot of laws you have to be aware of, because they are not treated like normal bicycles anymore. I have and love my moped - pedals, scrappy 50cc engine, great mileage & not too hard to get replacement parts. For me in PA, I have to have it titled, registered & insured to be legal.

- laws for motorized bicycles
- laws for mopeds
BrockLives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 12:07 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

1999 34' Limited
Darien , Wisconsin
Downsize, No way. The house is paid for, the truck is paid for and the Airstream is paid, credit cards get used but paid in full every month. We spend about 5 months a year in the 34' Airstream, wish they made a bigger one, I'd buy it if they did.

We did nothing to contribute to this economic mess, as usual we get to help pay for it though..

2008 F-350 Diesel
WBCCI # 4106

Steve & Jan
99Limited34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 12:13 PM   #25
1972 Travelux Princess 25

Cobourg , Ontario
For a little different slant on things, did you know that it was during the depression of the 30s that the RV lifestyle first took off? Literally exploded in popularity, trailer makers could not keep up with the demand.

"The trailerite is the only one who pays no rent or taxes" O if that were still true! LOL

Noted financial analyst Roger Babson predicted in 1937 "in 10 years half the people in America will live in trailers". Based on the trend of the previous 5 years.

Maybe we are in on the ground floor of the big change to smaller quarters and RV's as the economy collapses.
Ganaraska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 02:52 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Kissimmee , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Foster View Post
Got into a discussion with a good friend yesterday. A couple of things really bother this guy about the tax system. One thing he wants to know is "One guy works hard for eight hours a day and makes a nice living and is taxed at a certain percentage. His neighbor works hard for sixteen hours a day, and makes twice the money, but does not keep twice as much for himself because he is taxed at a higher percentage for his hard work."

Less is more? Perhaps more is less.
At least I have never found a case where the higher paid person actually takes home less money... yes the higher paid person pays more taxes, and pays a higher rate. However, to take home less the higher paid person would actually need to pay over 100% on a last dollar in basis, which is not the case.

Yet... long ago, for 1 year, I went from 5 day work week to 3 day work week, dropping my income by 40%. Yet the drop in take-home pay was much less. Made me realize that the chase for ever higher income, at the expense of less free time, was questionable.

Similarly, for a professional to take on a part-time job for extra spending money can make no sense... as the $8/hour may reduce to less than half after tax.
Old 10-27-2008, 03:12 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Downsizing anyone?

If anyone would like to Downsize out of a CCD 27 FB - perhaps I can help (she said with a fiendish grin).

Paula
Old 10-27-2008, 07:22 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Limited S/O
Greensboro , North Carolina
Downsizing!

We are glad we entered the Airstream community some three years ago. We enjoy it more than we ever imagined. We started with an 87 34' which we refurbished, but sold traded it this year for a 98 wide body queen bed 34'. We love it! We currently have a home in the city where I work, but we have often said how much we look forward to spending much of our year in the AS. Time will tell, but we are enjoying the AS as a second home, but we would not mind it being our primary home at some point.

WBCCI #4358
tslanier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 08:52 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member

My downsizing is of a different sort. 10 days ago I was laid off from a very promising start-up here in Silicon Valley - thanks Wall Street!!! To supplement the very minor severance package I have been forced to sell my first Airstream, Wally the '64 Safari. The good news is that he has gone to a GREAT new home and his new owners are woodworkers by trade.

I was wondering if anyone else out there has been forced to sell their trailer due to these tough economic times?

Happy Trails!!!!
toddster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 11:34 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
holland , Pennsylvania
hello folks,i dont know about downsizing because i still have two kids to put thru college.my goal is someday to travel this great country of ours.with limited travel time right now,every chance i get i hitch up and take off.who knows what tomorrow brings,so if you have your health and a little bit of disposable income plan it and do it this yr.this summer i was up in the lake placid ny area and was camped accross from an older gentlemen with a brand new 25 classic.after i engaged him in conversation he told me that he recently retired,bought the trailer of his dreams and then his best friend-his wife of 40 yrs passed away.what he was able to share with me was the notion of living your dream today. once i retire ,if im ever able to retire,i would like to travel from home base probably 2-3 months at a time.unfortunately i am used to having a fair amount of space and living on a very quiet st with plenty of space between me and the neighbors.probably could downsize the size of the house ,but not the property.the airstream trailer is a whole lifestyle,that gives me a total sense of freedom.i choose to travel this way .
xonvldz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 10:40 AM   #31

hudson , Florida
WE WILL BE DOWNSIZING WE HAVE NO CHOICE, some one made that decision for us...My Husband was coming home from work 3 weeks ago on his motorcycle ( purchased 3 months ago to save on gas ) and was hit from behind by an ininsured drunk driver, our full coverage car and truck insurance does not cover 2 wheeled vehicles, he will be totally disabled, hopefully he will be able to walk, we do not know yet, we are going to try and sell our home and hopefully get enough cash left to purchase an airstream as we will not be able to continue to pay our mortgage, utilities, taxes and insurance, he will need round the clock care for up to a year (broken legs, ankles, hip, hand, shoulder, 5 ribs, pelvis etc, multiple herniated discs etc...) Thank god he is alive!! But we now have zero income and no relief in sight, but things could be worse I could have easily been planning a funeral instead. We do not have alot of debt only car payment and mortgage so it will not be to difficult to downsize. I actually look forward to it. This certainly put it in perspective for us!!
whyled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 11:01 AM   #32
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2000 25' Excella
Kingston , Tennessee
We are very sorry to hear this bad news, but we are glad he is still with us. We will certainly be praying for you and your husband, and we let our church know to be praying for you all!!
https://www.etsy.com/your/listings
Silver Threads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 11:08 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Whyled, how much I feel for you. What catastrophic event to befall you. I hope you will receive the moral support I know you could use at this point in your life. Such responsibility being cast upon you point blank must have you reeling. Words fail but thank you for sharing your story and reaching out. I am reminded of Terry's accident and how he and his wife have overcome such surmountable difficulties with good humor and faith. God be with you and pm me if you need a hearing ear. I wish I could do more than offer a shoulder.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 11:11 AM   #34
A 7th year newby

1968 24' Tradewind
Indianapolis , Indiana
Send a message via Yahoo to IndyAnne
Think you are having a bad day? Go to the hospital and visit the children.

Michelle,

I appreciate your thought in your signature line. I just started a program called Clinical Pastoral Education, assigned to the neonatal ICU and the family medicine units. The little ones and their families live day to day with support of some amazing nurses, respiratory therapists, surgeons, cardiologists, everything they need to make it to the place where they can breathe, eat, and thrive without being hooked up to supportive technology.

On Family Medicine, there are many people on dialysis and all sorts of supportive therapies that don't permit them to go far from home or nursing care.

Those parents of the wee ones, and the elders on FM don't say much about the economy or downsizing; they just want to go home.

Meanwhile, I'm unemployed, have no health insurance, and hope at 50+ I can find a good job soon. I'm living on my prior credit history, walking a tightrope with my basic obligations. I hope things will get better soon, and I hope I don't get sick or hurt.

All of this tells me that my complaints are minor and life is very good. And, when our family load up and go to the parks in the Airstream, even for an overnight, we feel blessed by the fact that we can disconnect from the home grid and get out into all of this beauty around us.

Gratitude. Reverence.

Anne

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi View Post
Actually I am going the other way. It will be almost three years full time and I will be buying a house in the next 4-5 months.

Michelle
Think you are having a bad day? Go to the hospital and visit the children.
1968 Airstream Trade Wind
2005 Chevy K1500 crew, reg. bed, 4WD, gas
IndyAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 11:21 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddster View Post
My downsizing is of a different sort. 10 days ago I was laid off from a very promising start-up here in Silicon Valley - thanks Wall Street!!! To supplement the very minor severance package I have been forced to sell my first Airstream, Wally the '64 Safari. The good news is that he has gone to a GREAT new home and his new owners are woodworkers by trade.

I was wondering if anyone else out there has been forced to sell their trailer due to these tough economic times?

Happy Trails!!!!
We may sell the Airstreams, at least have been thinking about it. That solution would only be temporal and possibly leave us without housing in the long run. We either work to pay the bills or be free to travel and be homeless as I see it now. If we could find a buyer and if we could find employment. So far not. Similarly my husband was forced to leave his career of 30 plus years with a current income insufficient to sustain our bills and the lump sum and time is running out quickly, and health issues are presenting themselves and the job market drying up here. It's anyone's guess what will happen from here. Social security or Medicare wouldn't start for years if we're still kicking. Not a pretty picture and I am certain this scenerio is repeating itself to many.

I almost posted in the classifieds here for a situation wanted but decided I wouldn't push the forum feature to other than what it was intended for. But feel free to pm us if you have a line on employment.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 11:36 AM   #36
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Whyled===think about a lawyer, there are many that handle motorcycle accidents, choose one with experience. Drunk driving is attempted murder, you deserve to get what you can from this person, if he has anything! zz
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 11:41 AM   #37
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Also your personal health insurance should cover some of the bills. Pleasedo not let this person get away with this. I've got over 400,000 miles on the road and a good lawyer is always a phone call away. zz
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 12:09 PM   #38
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
Did I miss something. Sounds like the motorcyclist was also uninsured. If He'd run into the back of me, wouldn't he have been an uninsured driver?

My good wishes still go out to him, and I hope he has a speedy and full recovery.
Old 10-31-2008, 04:03 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Downsized? A Band-Aid

I own a telephone answering service which employs 30 people. This is NOT telemarketing, rather it's a receptionist service that operates 24/7.

Our service doesn't currently have home based operators, but many fine ones DO hire people to work from home - for modest but not AWFUL wages. The usual pay is in the $10 - $19 per hour range.

If you're on this list serv, you probably already possess two absolutely vital characteristics of a successful operator. 1) you can spell 2) you can use a computer and type.

Many of these small businesses are located in your city - and this industry does do well in an economic downturn because many people are reducing their staff. Check your area - and do a google search for "telephone answering service".

This isn't glamorous, but the dress code is often casual (ours is "be clean, comfortable and covered. We want to see only one set of cheeks and NO cleavage, and we want to see you before we smell you.") and the people are nice. You will NOT get a monday-friday 9 to 5 shift, but when you need a paycheck it helps not to be too fussy.

You may even find ads in your local newspapers for call centers (a MEGA-answering service). Again, don't even think "telemarketing" - there's a big difference between order taking (INBOUND telemarketing) and cold calling. Outbound telemarketing is brutal... inbound, they are calling you to order books, clothing, etc. Avis, Hertz, many insurance companies, etc are your "call center" users in the ares.

Good luck,

Paula
Old 11-01-2008, 07:55 AM   #40

hudson , Florida
Thanks so much for everyones prayers for my Husband, we did have ininsured motorist coverage but our policy had a stipulation for 2 wheeled vehicles not being covered, we did not know that, we did NOT have motorcycle insurance the cost was $3500.00 a year and only covered medical so it was pointless, our health insurance does cover 80% of medical. But that does not cover lost wages, pain and suffering, I suppose some would say it is our fault for not having motorcycle insurance. I can not work because I have to care for him, he can put 0 weight on his legs right now so is bedridden and requires 24 hour care, he has temporary disability from work he gets $100.00 a week so that disqualifies him for SSI, and it will take months for social security to decide if he will qualify. It is very frustrating we are in our mid-forties have worked more than 20 years to get what we have just to lose it because of a drunk idiot, we have a few thousand in savings but we now owe more than $50,000 in medical bills, and it is rising daily, my husband went to the doctor wednesday and he said it will be more than a year before he can walk and he is looking at quite a few more surgeries after that. We live in Florida where taxes and insurance have gone up cosiderably and we will just not be able to afford it, the drunk driver had no insurance and was evicted from an apartment 2 months ago and a judgment placed against him so that is a dead end, and I am quite sure that if he did have insurance it would have been minimal and we would be in the same boat. We just have to do the best we can try and sell our home before we lose it and become full-timers, my husband should be able to get in a regular bed in a couple months. So hopefully he can get in and out of a travel trailer, we were like millions of others who think this can never happen to them, believe me it can. But to those who think we are to blame because we did not have motorcycle coverage think again we pay over $300.00 month vehicle insurance thinking we had coverage for uninsured motorist they did not specify the 2 wheeled vehicle stipulation ( maybe we are dumb), we paid an extra $25.00 a week disability from work he would have gotten 80% of pay but this was not work related that would have cost $100.00 week more and we could not afford it and we pay $365.00 a month for health insurance so we did try to protect ourselves as much as we could afford to, unfortunately for us it wasn,t enough. So anyway in the next few months we will be looking for a used Airstream at least a 30 footer so if anyone finds a good deal please keep us in mind!! WE ARE THINKING OF THIS AS A NEW ADVENTURE!!
whyled is offline   Reply With Quote