Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Full-Timing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-10-2017, 11:18 PM   #21
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Arcata , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadleslie View Post
Hi there! Mom of 4 and a 3rd generation Airstream owner here.

We have a 2002 30' Classic with a slide-out, and it is great for our family of six. We are *not* full-timers, we still have our home, but summers, Christmas break, you name it, and we are off on another adventure, just like I was as a kid. (Case in point--when I was 4 we drove from Mississippi, where we live, to Alaska. I still *vividly* remember that trip. I am seeing similar experiences with my kids--"remember when we went to the sand dunes?"--You can't put a price on that.)

Thankfully, my husband is able to work from the road, and my kids (like yours) have no problem piling up like puppies (they are ages 9.5<boy>, 7<boy>, and twin girls 4.5 years old), however, with the slide out, we have both a dinette that turns into a bed and the pull out couch.

First, you mentioned being tired of cleaning out the closets and garage all the time. I want to (highly) recommend the KonMari method of decluttering, because organization and fine-tuned efficiency are top priorities with not only traveling in an Airstream with kids, but owning one in general. Also, this helps you to evaluate other aspects of your life. What hobbies will you have to give up when you shrink your living space? Do you sew? Garden? Do your kids play sports (and have all the equipment that goes with that)? You mentioned living on grandparents land, so if you do decide to live in your Airstream, you may want to consider some sort of on-site shed to store the things you use in every day life, but not on your travels.

Second, you say that the one thing all 5 of you agrees on is travel/adventure. This is awesome! But while we are on the road, we allow our kids to have: a blanket and pillow in the car, ONE toy (none of them have/use electronics). They may have a notebook and pen. That is it. Because #1 there simply isn't room for much more, and #2 they find cool stuff while on the road ("look at this rock!"--which they leave where they found it, or buying a postcard and sending it home to themselves with a few words about what happened during their visit to that state, park, etc). They are too busy and excited about exploring new places than to miss any toy that may be waiting for them at home. Again, this is where a shed may come in handy. Store the school uniforms while on the road, etc.

Also, on the road, we eat outside for almost every meal. Even if it's raining. We put the awning down, and pull the picnic table up underneath. We absolutely love it! I don't know about the climate where y'all live, but here in Mississippi, we can only do that for a few months (if that much) out of the year. The rest of the year, it's just oppressively humid. But having an outside eating option will really help expand your living space if you are actually living in your Airstream.

I think my #1 piece of advice: first start with totally decluttering/downsizing your home. Look at each possession and think, "would I want this inside a 30' Airstream?" If the answer is "no," donate, sell, whatever. But I think if you and your family truly want to live in an Airstream full time (even without traveling full time), you really have to become minimalists first. Even though we are very streamlined on our trips, I still find myself (on trips and at home) going through the Airstream asking myself, "have I used this on the last 3 trips? On the last trip at all?" If not, I take it out of the Airstream. Even if that means keeping it at my house for a trip or two and then putting it back for another trip, I do it. Just to see if we'll miss it. But what's important here is, I take it out of the Airstream, simply because of space.

Speaking of space, each of my kids has a drawer each, ONE DRAWER, for all their clothes. We may hang up the rain coats in the closet, and keep the swimsuits drying out in the shower (or on a laundry hanger outside), but they are responsible for all their clothes in their one drawer.

Also, if this were me, I think I would look into renting one and taking it on a trip, just to see how you fit, if you even like it, etc. Even though Airstreams have been a part of my family for years, it still took me 2 years to find *the one* that is perfect for us, and we don't even live in it full time. But perfect it is.

Message me if you want to talk! And best of luck to y'all and your decision!
Thanks for the de-cluttering tips! I've been actively downsizing our possessions for the last year in anticipation of this move, but it's incredible how much stuff we have accumulated over the last 3 years of living in a 4 bedroom house that has a garage, workroom, and shed.
I would say this idea was actually born a couple of years ago when I realized that we only utilized 2 of our 4 bedrooms, and only for sleeping. The rest of the rooms were earmarked as my office and guest room. Yet, I do 75% of my work at the kitchen table and the rest at coffee shops, despite the fact that I have an entire office at my disposal. What a waste of space and what an incredible amount of space in which to fill with crap.
I've emotionally let go of most of our things left in the house, and what doesn't come with us on the AS will be stored in our cabin, which is about and hour and half away. Grandpa has generously given us space in his garage onsite so we can have our freezer and dry good storage, so I can still bulk shop. And most of our activity gear (swimming, dance) lives in my minivan already.
We have super mild weather here, so we do a lot of outdoor living year-round. The only thing we have to contend with is rainy winters, so that will be interesting. I anticipate a lot more time at the indoor pool and keeping our local kid-museum memberships will come in handy.
Adulting101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 11:24 PM   #22
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Arcata , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seinbelld View Post
We have 2 kids and spent 7 weeks straight (51 nights) in the camper this summer, along with a 30 lb. puppy. It was great. I'd love to travel 2 months a quarter and spend the 3rd month at home (dumping our house and staying with family the month we were in town). But we're not quite ready to homeschool. Otherwise, for me, that seems like the best of both worlds.

I say go for it. Sounds like it's not a bunk house? That might be the only thing we'd do differently. We have an International Serenity and, while awesome, we think the bunk would make a huge difference on longer trips (30+ days).

Good luck!
Eric
It's a RB twin model, and my handy husband is going to build a third bunk above. I have a vision as to how this will be accomplished, but we will see once we get in there. I'll be sure to post pics of that project. My husband wanted the bunk model because he liked the idea of having beds for everyone and not having to make up the couch every night (that's a valid point, dear), but I won him over with the reality of the kids having their own room so we can close them (and the crap) off and have the rest of the place to ourselves. After touring the bunk model and getting inside the bunk bed, it felt really cramped. But it's a trade off for sure.
Old 12-11-2017, 09:55 AM   #23

2017 30' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
Your gonna love it!!

We've been living/traveling fulltime with our family of 4 and 2 dogs since August and it has been hands down the best decision we have made. We have the 30ft flying cloud bunk but my girls have chosen to sleep on the bottom bunk and use the top as a "junk" bunk. We sold our 6 bedroom 4 bath house along with 90% of our possessions and do not miss it. Our girls are home schooled with the help of Time4learning and have never done as well in school as they are now. We are members of Fulltime Families and they have provided us with a wealth of knowledge for this journey. My husband has a blog, dreaminnstreamin.blogspot.com you should check it out. I am learning the editing methods and we will have out YouTube channel up and running soon. I'm not an expert by any means but am around for questions if you have any!! Best of luck and maybe will cross paths down the road.
Evangeclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 02:19 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
WhereIam , Left Coast Proud
I forgot to tell you that some awning/porch screen rooms have roll down plastic windows, that will give you all season use in CA. Best to keep it shaded and not full sun if you can though, none of the fabrics/plastics last long in the sun. Perhaps a Northern or Eastern exposure for the porch?

Having one larger room for the kids to play in makes a difference. This can be where the Legos are played and nerf balls are thrown. Game nights are always special at any age. We bought inexpensive popcorn and made it on the stove, bought a two litre bottle of soda. Did you know that you can put regular popcorn kernals into an ordinary paper bag with some oil and put it in the microwave? There’s nothing special about microwave popcorn. Popcorn is cheaper than chips, My ex eventually learned to make chips, a bit thick though.

The first trick to making the kids happy in a tiny space is making their bit of space special, each space individual to them alone. My daughter slept in a 6 to 4 ft wide curtained off portion of our livingroom, just 11 ft long. One of the walls was painted a pink of her choice, fitted with white shelves, her art desk sat there it was also for homework. Her bed was one of those foam blocks that was a chair and unfolded into a bed. I bought her a small blanket and a little throw rug to match everything, and a matted and framed print of one of Monet’s paintings, (he is her favorite impressionist). For Christmas I bought her a six ft solid wood Wardrobe to fit at the end of the the tiny room. She loved that little room, her friends were jealous. But six years later when her two older brothers moved out, she was 15 and all to happy to share a bedroom with her 10 year old brother. When your kids hit the teens, especially your daughter, expect to look for an apartment or house again. Privacy is HUGE at this age. If you are one of those rare adults who can remember all of your childhood through the teens including all the feelings, you will understand what Im saying without a single word said. I always consulted my memories when in doubt.

The second trick is to spend time alone with each individual child doing something they enjoy doing with you. It’s not about spending money. Going out for Coffee or Tea and talking. Or ice cream, or smoothies. Sitting on the beach, going to the park, rollerblading, riding bikes, going to the library. Just as long as it’s only you and one child and it’s their time. Obviously Dad needs to support by being home with the other three. Tell him no one babysits their own children. It’s just being a Dad. My daughter still remembers and treasures those moments, and does them for her girls. My youngest son and I saved our relationship with those in his late teens. Good times.

I found the type of blinds I was speaking of. They really do make a difference, in both summer and winter. They probably can be found in other colors, but white allows light through and does not absorb heat in the summer.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003QHYQ5E..._5KomAbFKJS8Q0
3wd67rg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 11:08 PM   #25
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Arcata , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by PammieSue View Post
I forgot to tell you that some awning/porch screen rooms have roll down plastic windows, that will give you all season use in CA. Best to keep it shaded and not full sun if you can though, none of the fabrics/plastics last long in the sun. Perhaps a Northern or Eastern exposure for the porch?

Having one larger room for the kids to play in makes a difference. This can be where the Legos are played and nerf balls are thrown. Game nights are always special at any age. We bought inexpensive popcorn and made it on the stove, bought a two litre bottle of soda. Did you know that you can put regular popcorn kernals into an ordinary paper bag with some oil and put it in the microwave? There’s nothing special about microwave popcorn. Popcorn is cheaper than chips, My ex eventually learned to make chips, a bit thick though.

The first trick to making the kids happy in a tiny space is making their bit of space special, each space individual to them alone. My daughter slept in a 6 to 4 ft wide curtained off portion of our livingroom, just 11 ft long. One of the walls was painted a pink of her choice, fitted with white shelves, her art desk sat there it was also for homework. Her bed was one of those foam blocks that was a chair and unfolded into a bed. I bought her a small blanket and a little throw rug to match everything, and a matted and framed print of one of Monet’s paintings, (he is her favorite impressionist). For Christmas I bought her a six ft solid wood Wardrobe to fit at the end of the the tiny room. She loved that little room, her friends were jealous. But six years later when her two older brothers moved out, she was 15 and all to happy to share a bedroom with her 10 year old brother. When your kids hit the teens, especially your daughter, expect to look for an apartment or house again. Privacy is HUGE at this age. If you are one of those rare adults who can remember all of your childhood through the teens including all the feelings, you will understand what Im saying without a single word said. I always consulted my memories when in doubt.

The second trick is to spend time alone with each individual child doing something they enjoy doing with you. It’s not about spending money. Going out for Coffee or Tea and talking. Or ice cream, or smoothies. Sitting on the beach, going to the park, rollerblading, riding bikes, going to the library. Just as long as it’s only you and one child and it’s their time. Obviously Dad needs to support by being home with the other three. Tell him no one babysits their own children. It’s just being a Dad. My daughter still remembers and treasures those moments, and does them for her girls. My youngest son and I saved our relationship with those in his late teens. Good times.

I found the type of blinds I was speaking of. They really do make a difference, in both summer and winter. They probably can be found in other colors, but white allows light through and does not absorb heat in the summer.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003QHYQ5E..._5KomAbFKJS8Q0
Great tips! I'm letting the girls pick out their own new bedding, and the oldest is excited that she gets full control over the top cupboards in the room. That way pesky little sisters can't get to her stuff
Old 12-14-2017, 03:36 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
You sound like a great mom, you get it. <3 Would love to hear about your further adventures.
~Pamela
Old 12-20-2017, 07:53 AM   #27

2017 30' Flying Cloud
Dundee , Oregon
Fultiming 2 kids, one year

Hi there!
We’re fultiming with two kids (11&13) in a 30’ flying cloud FB bunk. We are just traveling for one year to see the country. It is fantastic and there are many days where I could see living like this. But I’m really glad we still have our house (renting it out now) and will be back to our friends and community. At the ages that my kids are now, they really need that. It would be more doable for younger kids!

We massively de cluttered and that feels SO good. Our family is making tons of wonderful memories and my girls are getting really close. I highly recommend the lifestyle with an “escape option” if/when no longer sustainable! I would love to hear about your trip!
You can see our trip on instagram if you’d like
@kimsteffen
Best of luck to you!!! ❤️
Steffen.kss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 05:51 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB International
I have very little to add here but enjoyed reading this post. I actually started looking through this section of the forum after reading an article about how “popular” RV’s are becoming in the Bay Area because of the housing costs.

We live out of our Airstream for 2 months of the summer. Myself, wife, now 8 year old son, 70 lb Shepherd and 6 lb Pomeranian. We love it. It’s owned by my company and it is my mobile office. That may be one angle of affordability you should consider. (And if you do, please consult a tax professional.)

I assume you’re young(er) like us and would caution you that while mortgages on over priced homes are a great way to never have any extra money, real estate is THE BEST and most proven way to make long-term money. Putting $100,000 into a depreciating asset, while shiny, cool and in the short term a great option, you miss out on that investment. IF however, you’re socking that extra cash away *and earning interest on it* you may be at a break even in CA.

Best of luck!
chaseav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 02:14 PM   #29
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
and so.... your thread ends here?
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 02:15 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
Gosh I hope not, I want to hear the rest of the story!
Old 01-08-2018, 09:59 AM   #31
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Arcata , California
We got the Airstream home! 2015 Flying Cloud 30 RB Twin, christened, Stardust Machine.
We went down to pick her up over the holidays and have been busy setting her up over at the FIL's house. We have until the end of the month to be out of our house, so we are busy packing, downsizing, downsizing, downsizing.
Husband took the first load of furniture down to our cabin for safekeeping. We spent our first whole night in it last week, with minimal issues.
Husband will be completing the third bunk project by the third weekend in Jan.
The kids have their new bedding all picked out and haven't even noticed all the clothes/toys/books I've been slowly removing. They only seem to care about Legos, which is fine by me. The family were very conscientious about gifts for the kids for Xmas and the twin's Jan bday, so I'm grateful it seems everyone is on board with our new tiny life.

It's all happening, and we are all super busy, but I will update when we have actually moved in!
Old 01-08-2018, 03:47 PM   #32
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Well... carry on!!!!
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote