Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Full-Timing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-30-2012, 05:38 AM   #1
CPV

Preston , Connecticut
Full timing not in camp???

New to the forum, and new to Airstreaming in general, and not an Airstream owner. I've adopted a somewhat minimalist lifestyle and live in a 672 square foot home, that is half empty. I'm thinking about living in an Airstream, not right now but in a few years. But I have no interest in living in a campsite. Is it possible to buy an acre, where zoning permits it, towing the Airstream on the land, and making a go of it? Is this crazy, impossible, common, etc?
CPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 06:28 AM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Welcome to the forums. Several people have used their Airstream to live in on their own property. This is not limited to Airstreams, either. I delivered an SOB to a customer to the top of a mountain, on several hundred acres. He is renting out the grazing rights to help pay his mortgage. Eventually, he will build a house in that location.
Old 09-30-2012, 07:13 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
something to consider is heating if you want to do this up north. you'll need a source for electric power, water and a sewer. you can drive to fill the lp tanks or hook up to a house sized tank.

there are several threads about this. you can start with this list:
winter living - Google Search
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 08:36 AM   #4
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
I saw pictures somewhere, where someone built an insulated barn, parked the Airstream inside and was living in it. They had one side of the barn set up as a living room, and could use it in all but the coldest weather.

Yes you can live in an Airstream without living in a campground.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:47 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
We had a local member that had his Airstream permanently installed in a heated loft building in downtown Chicago. We have another, who has it in a barn and runs the farm properties from it on the weekends and runs his law business from his Chicago house during the week.

The one big negative about Airstreams is the poor insulation when you try to live in them up north during the winter. They are very air tight and condensation from your breath and cooking build up very quickly. The best thing you can do with an Airstream to make it livable in the winter is to hook it to a tow vehicle and tow it 1,500 miles due south. If you are at lower altitudes and south of Arkansas you will have not problems, other than finding an electrical and water supply. Usually you will have to buy more than 5 acres and conform to zoning codes, to live on your own property in your Airstream.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 06:33 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Anchorage , Alaska
We rent land outside of city limits in a no- hoa subdivision. If you are looking into buying land, I would make sure there isn't in covenants that could cramp your style.

Not crazy, in fact, personally, it is incredibly smart.
StreamlineAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 06:58 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Airstreams are three season trailers, unless you head south in winter. You would be more successful building a tiny cabin than fitting an Airstream for winter.

But you may be able to live somewhere else in the winter months, returning to your Airstream in spring.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 07:22 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Something else that some people have started to do is convert a shipping container into a house.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 12:20 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' Safari S/O
Tifton , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwightdi
We had a local member that had his Airstream permanently installed in a heated loft building in downtown Chicago. We have another, who has it in a barn and runs the farm properties from it on the weekends and runs his law business from his Chicago house during the week.

The one big negative about Airstreams is the poor insulation when you try to live in them up north during the winter. They are very air tight and condensation from your breath and cooking build up very quickly. The best thing you can do with an Airstream to make it livable in the winter is to hook it to a tow vehicle and tow it 1,500 miles due south. If you are at lower altitudes and south of Arkansas you will have not problems, other than finding an electrical and water supply. Usually you will have to buy more than 5 acres and conform to zoning codes, to live on your own property in your Airstream.
I would live to see pics of the Chicago project. That sound awesome
RoadHungry is offline   Reply With Quote