Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2015, 06:18 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Welcome WendyW from Wayzata. We're just down the road from you. The "still looking" phase lasts a long time. You are wise to learn all you can about the Airstream lifestyle. It sounds adventuresome, but it isn't for everyone.

I sometimes read threads talking about the simple, low cost life of living full time in an RV. I would submit it is not the cheapest way to live. Full timing may be fun, but it is costly.

We tried to explore some monthly budgets living in an Airstream full time. There are huge variations of course. An Airstream is one of the more expensive RVs on the market, and one of the smallest square footage wise. Well built luxury in a small space. Ideal for traveling well. The monthly budget includes some major expenses that don't go away because you elect to live in an RV, such as insurances.

Take a look at this thread if you haven't already. We discuss most of the expenses necessary living full time.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f314...et-127358.html

Hope this helps.

David
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 06:59 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
Me and Angel have full timed for about 7 years now. We landed by fate in the busy city of Espanola N.M.. I swear I have now idea where all the traffic comes from but several RVs are always mixed into the bustle. Thanks to the ad on my tailgate, a man came up and asked if could replace his worn out decals on his rig. So since then I have done about 30 fiberglass rigs. I don't think I can post a photo in here but I will show you my CL link. Now people bring their rigs to me and I do them in my front yard. This allows me to make $$, stay at home, take care of five white cats, and tend to Angel who is just now learning how to walk on a prosthetic. Fix the OLD DECALS/RV-5th Wheels
Old 03-22-2015, 03:34 PM   #23

Austin , Texas
How long have you been full-timing?
~Over a year

Do you park rooted in one place, or do you travel?
~We Travel

How long will you continue?
~Until we no longer enjoy it.

What led you to full-timing, and what would make you stop?
~Wanted to see this Great country of ours. If anyone in our family no longer enjoyed this way of life.

What would you do differently if you could?
~Planned more, saved more prep money.

How much space is enough?
~Never enough with kids, but it’s not about the space, but the places you get to see.

Do you ever dream about a Tiny House instead of your AS?
~Not really

How do you handle maintenance in something you'd rather not tow to a dealer (and become temporarily homeless)?
~My husband’s pretty handy

What other thoughts would you want prospective full-timers to know?
~Research! Research! Research! You can never prep too much in my opinion.
Old 03-24-2015, 04:09 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Livingston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbj216 View Post
Welcome WendyW from Wayzata. We're just down the road from you. The "still looking" phase lasts a long time. You are wise to learn all you can about the Airstream lifestyle. It sounds adventuresome, but it isn't for everyone.

I sometimes read threads talking about the simple, low cost life of living full time in an RV. I would submit it is not the cheapest way to live. Full timing may be fun, but it is costly.

We tried to explore some monthly budgets living in an Airstream full time. There are huge variations of course. An Airstream is one of the more expensive RVs on the market, and one of the smallest square footage wise. Well built luxury in a small space. Ideal for traveling well. The monthly budget includes some major expenses that don't go away because you elect to live in an RV, such as insurances.

Take a look at this thread if you haven't already. We discuss most of the expenses necessary living full time.

Hope this helps.

David
David: I'm planning for full timing next year and appreciate the thread. In my budgeting I've been thinking about $2500 a month to cover all of the basic expenses (I own both my AS and tow vehicle free and clear) with medicare costs of $140 a month. Is the $300 in your budget for two people? What are your annual registrations charges for auto and AS. I'm looking at Nevada, but they appear to be hefty for either one year or three registrations.
Molinari47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 04:44 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
New Orleans , Louisiana
We own our rig and tow vehicle also. Can one person live on $2500..I say absolutely...definitely out West. We have read a lot of blogs of great places to boondock that have been beautiful. Takes reseach. If over 62 even easier. All of our tires are reality new and so is the refrigerator. There are some unexpected repairs. It is doable. Good luck!
badkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 06:42 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Yes, my budget planning was for the two of us. Health insurance is for two. Then we carry pick up and Airstream insurance. And the dog gone smart phone and hot spot costs a fortune per month!

The point it living full time on the road in an Airstream is more expensive than some folks think it is.

David
Old 03-30-2015, 11:46 AM   #27
Happy Wonderer

1997 25' Safari
Box Elder , South Dakota
Lots of thoughtful advice and information on full timing in this thread.
As for us, we have found that there is a significant difference in the camping costs depending on the length of your stay in most places (excepting national and state parks). We have no trouble finding plenty of RV parks for under $600 monthly and quite a few at considerably less cost than that. We have a place reserved in Oregon on the coast for $425 monthly + electric. When camped in national and state parks, it is a daily rate and your stay is limited. So often we have found daily rates at private parks for $40-$50+ but once you extend that to two weeks or more the rates drop considerably. Monthly and multiple month stays are the best rates of all. In a resort community near Palm Springs, California where we are now, it is about $600 monthly not including electric which hasn't been over $40 so far. So many activities for free and great hot mineral and other pools to use too. Our next monthly rate on the central coast of California is $525 + electric and that is a real deal for overpriced California camping. So, having your rates lowered by longer stays coupled with eating at 'home' more often, you will radically lower your costs.
Don't forget Passport America, Good Sam's, AAA etc. for discounts.
Just depends on what you want to do...
“Freethinkers are those who are willing to use their minds without prejudice and without fearing to understand things that clash with their own customs, privileges, or beliefs. This state of mind is not common, but it is essential for right thinking...”
― Leo Tolstoy
B_Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 10:44 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2004 22' International CCD
2015 30' International
Box Elder , South Dakota
Del Gurney: interesting — it looks like you are living in your AS while it's inside a butler-style building. Is that your living situation? A great way to keep that showroom shine!
lbdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 10:46 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member

2004 22' International CCD
2015 30' International
Box Elder , South Dakota
B_Pi: which park do you recommend in Palm Springs, and when does it get too hot for you there? The monthly fees near San Diego are higher.
lbdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 04:59 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
We do not full time, however, we do about 5-6 months spaced over the year. We figured correctly before retirement that taking no debt into retirement and acquiring no debt in retirement would be the only way to go for us. So we did that and are doing that and it makes owning a fixed home and our AS and TV economically very doable.

Best of Luck
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 11:14 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
Hey..where in Oregon do you land? I am in Eugene with my new 25' FC Twin and looking to spend much time exploring our wonderful state. If you are open to other AS'ers sharing your coast space I would be most grateful. I have a long love affair with the coast. My 2 children are home birth babies from Yachats...a pretty select population! Love to connect...Atheness aka Kate
atheness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 12:14 PM   #32
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Quote:
In a separate thread we estimated full timing budget is about $3500 a month. There is a lot of variation in this of course.

Do you full timers find this a reasonable estimate of the cost of full timing?

David
Quote:

Hope this helps.

David
Quote:
Yes, my budget planning was for the two of us. Health insurance is for two. Then we carry pick up and Airstream insurance. And the dog gone smart phone and hot spot costs a fortune per month!

The point it living full time on the road in an Airstream is more expensive than some folks think it is.

David
I recall your original thread, I think $3500 is reasonable, but on the HIGH side of things. We're about to launch and already have some experience under our belts out on the road. When you originally planned to spend $900 a month in campsite fee's. I just don't know anyone that I've followed spending so much to camp each month, unless you are into luxury RV parks with cable & phone hookups.

We're a family of 4 and we've budgeted $2800 per month or 30% of our monthly income as our total fixed living expenses.

When we get out west, we want to see if we can start boondocking about 35% of the time.

Granted, our health costs are very low compared to older folks. We have excellent insurance that covers 90% of everything with Blue Cross Blue Shield.

Still, at a level above "Bum" and below "High Roller" I'd say $2200~$3800 is a reasonable spectrum for two people.
Old 04-07-2015, 04:01 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
We figured $30 a night for 30 nights. Certainly monthly rates are much cheaper if you want to stay at a place for a month. Certainly government land and boondocking is even cheaper if you can be "off the grid" for several days.

The less you travel, the cheaper living in the Airstream becomes.

David